Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Eaves

Noooobie

Default Josh Eaves

I have been pleased to see young Josh Eaves has been able to make his Super League debut this season coming off the bench twice. Didn’t see any of the last away game against London, however he came off the bench against Leeds making a couple of good tackles and at least one decent run from dummy half. Looks as though he could make a decent hooker, the only issue could be Smith has done well covering for Roby back end of the season. Also Bentley has also done well at hooker, for a long time we have looked as though we didn’t have anybody to spell Roby over, we now have three competing for covering Roby.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    I have been pleased to see young Josh Eaves has been able to make his Super League debut this season coming off the bench twice. Didn’t see any of the last away game against London, however he came off the bench against Leeds making a couple of good tackles and at least one decent run from dummy half. Looks as though he could make a decent hooker, the only issue could be Smith has done well covering for Roby back end of the season. Also Bentley has also done well at hooker, for a long time we have looked as though we didn’t have anybody to spell Roby over, we now have three competing for covering Roby.
    Bentley is definitely a back rower going forwards but useful to be able to cover hooker as well. Smith is first in line based on his performances stepping in for Roby so far and I imagine he'll get plenty of chances next season. Eaves should get a few first team games and will probably be one of those who benefits most from the reserves league. Good to have options coming from within the club!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

I would think at this stage Smith is the most likely deputy. If you look at Roby when he was Smiths age they have a similar build. If Smith muscles up the way Roby did then he can only get better. Like to see how Eaves progresses be good to have 2 vying for the position as it was with Keiron and Robes.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    I would think at this stage Smith is the most likely deputy. If you look at Roby when he was Smiths age they have a similar build. If Smith muscles up the way Roby did then he can only get better. Like to see how Eaves progresses be good to have 2 vying for the position as it was with Keiron and Robes.
    Not a bad shout, if they both develop well they could interchange during the game. Hopefully Smith will bulk out as at the moment he sometimes gets knocked around a bit starting the game

Banned

I think Eaves will be a better player than Smith and possibly isn’t that far off now. Both of them are decent prospects but I have a feeling we’ll see Fages at hooker more next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    The difference is that Roby was always freakishly strong and always hit like lump hammer. He is/was also unusually robust for a player of any size.

Smith for my money lacks the physicality required to be a top class 9. Opposition forwards pick him out and even if he doesn’t miss the tackle he usually concedes a quick PTB.

I’ve only seen a little bit of Eaves so it’s too early to judge, but from what I have seen he strikes me as a more likely candidate for Roby’s successor.

For me those moving more into the forest team next year will be (IMO) Bentley who I rate a lot. Smith will improve and I assume will spell Roby more and more (I think next season will be Robes last).
    The player I’m looking forward to seeing in the reserves and hopefully the odd first team game is Lewis Dodd. Have seen a lot of academy games and he is excellent. He’s is to good for the academy. If he gets good coaching and keeps his desire he will be a superstar. I know a lot can happen, but ATM he is an exciting prospect.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I seem to remember Josh picked up an injury last season to stall his progression, however his spell with Leigh Centurions seems to have put him back on track.
    Despite that injury the games he has played he looks a bit tougher than Smith, their might not be a lot of difference between the two but my concern is that Smith is picking up quite a lot of head injuries that could be tackling technique but he does pick up concussion with the ball in hand as well.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I think Eaves will be a better player than Smith and possibly isn’t that far off now. Both of them are decent prospects but I have a feeling we’ll see Fages at hooker more next season.
    Agreed. I would be in favour of this set up going forward . Along with A.N other in the halves to accompany Lomax , this would certainly give a new dynamic in attack . However , Fages is no replacement for Roby in terms of his natural 9 ability ( yet) but this would give us added strike force and defence prowess . Its Down to Wolfie and how his vision and playing vision and philosophy manifests.

We do have a few options , which is great . The young talent is fantastic and we should be proud of what the club has done. I hope next season we get to hear about another 3 or 4 new names breaking though and keep churning out talent !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Agreed. I would be in favour of this set up going forward . Along with A.N other in the halves to accompany Lomax , this would certainly give a new dynamic in attack . However , Fages is no replacement for Roby in terms of his natural 9 ability ( yet) but this would give us added strike force and defence prowess . Its Down to Wolfie and how his vision and playing vision and philosophy manifests.

We do have a few options , which is great . The young talent is fantastic and we should be proud of what the club has done. I hope next season we get to hear about another 3 or 4 new names breaking though and keep churning out talent !
    To be fair replacing Roby is one hell of a task, as you say, there's quite a few ways we could and maybe he will change it about through the year.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    For me those moving more into the forest team next year will be (IMO) Bentley who I rate a lot. Smith will improve and I assume will spell Roby more and more (I think next season will be Robes last).
    The player I’m looking forward to seeing in the reserves and hopefully the odd first team game is Lewis Dodd. Have seen a lot of academy games and he is excellent. He’s is to good for the academy. If he gets good coaching and keeps his desire he will be a superstar. I know a lot can happen, but ATM he is an exciting prospect.
    What sort of half is Dodd? Are we talking a general with a kicking game or more of a runner?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    What sort of half is Dodd? Are we talking a general with a kicking game or more of a runner?
    A good one by the look of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy8QL0MD-IM

WARNING! PIE EATER!

He has a very good kicking game, can kick off both feet and is a decent runner. The player he reminds me of at the moment is Jake Truman at Cas. There's some good young halfbacks and hookers coming through the academy systems at the moment, a kid called Mikey Lewis at H.K.R. is one to keep a look out for.

Honestly he has everything. His ability to find a gap is stunning. His short kicking game into the in goal area is excellent. The Academy have score lots of try’s off his kicks. He’s a good goal kicker as well.his link play with Welsby has been excellent as well. He sells a great dummy but does not over use it either. There are some really good players in the Academy team but he stands out with Welsby.
    Another one to watch for me is centre NICO RIZZELLI has been really eye catching.

Banned

Honestly he has everything. His ability to find a gap is stunning. His short kicking game into the in goal area is excellent. The Academy have score lots of try’s off his kicks. He’s a good goal kicker as well.his link play with Welsby has been excellent as well. He sells a great dummy but does not over use it either. There are some really good players in the Academy team but he stands out with Welsby.
    Another one to watch for me is centre NICO RIZZELLI has been really eye catching.
    Do you think we'll see him in the first team next year similar to Welsby or does he need another year in the academy?

In The South Stand

Well the new coach seems to be one who might bring them through.

Do you think we'll see him in the first team next year similar to Welsby or does he need another year in the academy?
    As we have a reserve league next year I will be astounded he is not moved up. Not sure how old he is but academy goes from U19 to U18 next season. I understand it’s a big jump up, but I think he is more than ready for reserves. The occasional 1st team game would not shock me either.

Banned

As we have a reserve league next year I will be astounded he is not moved up. Not sure how old he is but academy goes from U19 to U18 next season. I understand it’s a big jump up, but I think he is more than ready for reserves. The occasional 1st team game would not shock me either.
    Of course we do, I forgot about that. Perfect for young lads making the transition.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Dodd still qualifies for U18 academy next season.

I have a feeling we’ll see Fages at hooker more next season.
    I think this is a good shout. Depends really if Richardson goes and another half comes in.

Lomax is an instituation rightly or wrongly but does not have a kicking game. Therefore
    the other half must be right sided and a kicker.

Difficult for both Smith and Eaves who have the legacy of Roby and Cunningham to content with.

Bit like Bentley having to follow directly after Chris joynt and Gilmour in sucession.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I think this is a good shout. Depends really if Richardson goes and another half comes in.

Lomax is an instituation rightly or wrongly but does not have a kicking game. Therefore
    the other half must be right sided and a kicker.

Difficult for both Smith and Eaves who have the legacy of Roby and Cunningham to content with.

Bit like Bentley having to follow directly after Chris joynt and Gilmour in sucession.
    That was the job of Marty Ashurst and Andrew Dixon and look how that one went.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    That was the job of Marty Ashurst and Andrew Dixon and look how that one went.
    I think we need to think very carefully about Roby’s replacement. If we want it to be someone who’s already at the club, IMO they need to have played a significant number of games and have proven that they’re genuinely good enough, ideally up there with the best in the competition, over a period of time.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think we need to think very carefully about Roby’s replacement. If we want it to be someone who’s already at the club, IMO they need to have played a significant number of games and have proven that they’re genuinely good enough, ideally up there with the best in the competition, over a period of time.
    I think we need a quality, experienced 9 I'll be honest. And I mean proven NRL quality

Noooobie

I like lussick from Salford. Cracking player

Learning All The Songs

Regarding a lot of our younger backs have you noticed our they have both hands on the ball and the ability to present it either way. Wellens action was similar to a lot of these young players. Their awareness of where their team mates are is fantastic. Regarding players on the fringe I think Bentley looks to be improving all the time.