Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Player signings for next season

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Simon be happy that we are signing players that may potentially win us trophies.
    In the bad old days when the board at Saints had well over a dozen members one of the group had a strange way of deciding which player we could sign that would do our club proud. He owned a firm (will avoid giving away what type of buissness) he then asked certain lads in the RL circle who worked for that company who they thought would be a good signing. He then said another board colleague had championed the name of Sonny Nickle and asked would he support his vote for Sonny. All the employees in the room said he would be very good as he had been outstanding that season with Sheffield. This chap then said he thought he would be good for us because his name would look good on the team sheet! and the fact he was black he would look good in the Red/White colours!!
    It turned out he only joined Saints board because he was in an unhappy marriage, mainly because his wife was female. He joined so he could see the young players thighs in shorts before kick off and could sit next to them after the game.
    That’s a new story for me, thank you!

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

as retro said the board member not Sonny. My bad sentence structure.
    I have had this tale told to me with Apollo Perelini as the signing, I don`t know if that happened with AP also, but I was in the room when the board member said that about Sonny.
    Intriguing, I knew quite a few of the Directors at that time, you've got me guessing now :-)

Learning All The Songs

I'd sign Josh Jones back if he became available. Also an intimidating prop and a scrum half. And hope there are others like Matty Lees in the academy.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Intriguing, I knew quite a few of the Directors at that time, you've got me guessing now :-)
    Anything to do with tyres??

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS2411 View Post
    No I didn't have any dealings in that line of work, I'm obviously aware which Director did :-)

Banned

If it's who I think you're talking about, I'm pretty sure you're barking up the wrong tree (still happily married, with his two kids grown up with kids of their own)

Perhaps Tallaght Tiger should clarify who he means, or we'll just get insinuations and mud-slinging.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If it's who I think you're talking about, I'm pretty sure you're barking up the wrong tree (still happily married, with his two kids grown up with kids of their own)

Perhaps Tallaght Tiger should clarify who he means, or we'll just get insinuations and mud-slinging.
    Webbo I did not give the nature of his business for that reason.
    This is the only internet tool I am a member of so I do not know if he is still on this earth, I presume his children are, therefore will respect their privacy. Last I heard about him was over 15 years ago and that he lived in Maspalomas then.

Got A Season Ticket

Webbo I did not give the nature of his business for that reason.
    This is the only internet tool I am a member of so I do not know if he is still on this earth, I presume his children are, therefore will respect their privacy. Last I heard about him was over 15 years ago and that he lived in Maspalomas then.
    My apologies. I shouldn’t have commented at all.

Learning All The Songs

My apologies. I shouldn’t have commented at all.
    Saints 2411 I meant no offence to anyone in the reply, no need for any apology you are as entitled to post a question.

Looks like we should be in the market for a back up scrum half for next year....
    I was on my way to a wedding yesterday over the Pennines and stopped for a coffee at hartshead moor and saw Darryl Powell and Danny Richardson in conversation over a coffee.
    It may not come to anything but there must be interest from cas and I fully expected DR to be looking elsewhere for first team rugby. One to keep an eye on!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

I will just pass on what I put before even tho Luke Gale keeps saying he's going nowhere
    Gale to Leeds for 150 grand Richardson to Cas for 60 grand soon find out if the rumours are correct or not I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    I will just pass on what I put before even tho Luke Gale keeps saying he's going nowhere
    Gale to Leeds for 150 grand Richardson to Cas for 60 grand soon find out if the rumours are correct or not I suppose
    I get the impression the Gale to Leeds deal is dependent on Cas getting a replacement in.

If I were Leeds though, and those figures are accurate, I think I'd be looking at Richardson. Younger, less fee, presumably lower contract and less injury prone.

Learning All The Songs

Unless Saints have told Richardson to look for another club I'd be surprised at him wanting to leave yet. It maybe better to see how things go under a new coach

Unless Saints have told Richardson to look for another club I'd be surprised at him wanting to leave yet. It maybe better to see how things go under a new coach
    Fages is signed up for two years.
    Lewis Dodd coming up on the rails.

Was a protest vote against Matty Smith,
    rather than a young gun grabbing a shirt.

Nothing against him just think he was
    overpromoted and a bit overhyped.

I can see him going.

Got A Season Ticket

Yes I just heard he was who Cas were trying to get so they would let Gale go to Leeds I've always liked Richardson but I've read on here when I've been on a lot of people not that impressed with him overall

Upside
    Non Members

Yes I just heard he was who Cas were trying to get so they would let Gale go to Leeds I've always liked Richardson but I've read on here when I've been on a lot of people not that impressed with him overall
    I think castleford would be good for him, you would see a better version of DR at Cas

A shame in many ways if he goes, a reasonably talented player in attack but a complete liability in defence. Erratic at times, especially on the last tackle but that will probably come with experience

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    A shame in many ways if he goes, a reasonably talented player in attack but a complete liability in defence. Erratic at times, especially on the last tackle but that will probably come with experience
    How much more experience does Richardson need. Ignoring the time he has spent at Leigh he has played 60 games or so at first team level. The problem is he looks a player thats played his first game 60 times. His failure to learn from mistakes is a bad weakness that undermines confidence his game will develop much beyond where its at now.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    How much more experience does Richardson need. Ignoring the time he has spent at Leigh he has played 60 games or so at first team level. The problem is he looks a player thats played his first game 60 times. His failure to learn from mistakes is a bad weakness that undermines confidence his game will develop much beyond where its at now.
    Some things such as game sense take longer in some, I feel he is one of those and will come good in a few more years, particularly if he moves to another club, it can make you work harder

I think he may benefit from playing in a team with a little less expectation. I think he has struggled a bit to stamp his authority on our side.
    We could live to regret it as I think Powell has a track record for improving players. Luke Gale was a bang average scrum half when he went to CAS.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Hows Batchelor getting on ?
    Not heard anything about him for ages.

Banned

Looking at Richardson and thinking of Jamie Foster thinking of Andre Savelio. SKY TV presenters are not the brightest and feel they have to be controversial and our club seems to suffer from this. The correlation between the three is SKY commenting on them all being potential world class and at quite a young age, Leeds have suffered similar with Jordan Lilley and Jack Walker and now young Newman. Wigan and Wire not so much with their youngsters.

The output of this is agents/parents walking into our decision makers looking for quick big money salary uplifts. Especially in the case of Foster with image rights and beneficial financial negotiations it caused some resentment and he was quickly exposed from within. With Andre we learned from Foster and Andre walked and in all honesty looks more Bracheck than Joynt.

Now Richardson least season was a jack in the box bonus year for him until it really mattered and that is OK it happens with young players and you persevere like the club did with Jeff Heaton many years ago. However the game has changed and Danny and his adviser! see him as the equal of established players and we as a club are thankfully not having it kicker or no kicker. I hope he buckles down in the A team next year or he could end up another drifter who never achieves their potential.

In The South Stand

The last bit of that says thet you don't think he will be leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Looking at Richardson and thinking of Jamie Foster thinking of Andre Savelio. SKY TV presenters are not the brightest and feel they have to be controversial and our club seems to suffer from this. The correlation between the three is SKY commenting on them all being potential world class and at quite a young age, Leeds have suffered similar with Jordan Lilley and Jack Walker and now young Newman. Wigan and Wire not so much with their youngsters.

The output of this is agents/parents walking into our decision makers looking for quick big money salary uplifts. Especially in the case of Foster with image rights and beneficial financial negotiations it caused some resentment and he was quickly exposed from within. With Andre we learned from Foster and Andre walked and in all honesty looks more Bracheck than Joynt.

Now Richardson least season was a jack in the box bonus year for him until it really mattered and that is OK it happens with young players and you persevere like the club did with Jeff Heaton many years ago. However the game has changed and Danny and his adviser! see him as the equal of established players and we as a club are thankfully not having it kicker or no kicker. I hope he buckles down in the A team next year or he could end up another drifter who never achieves their potential.
    Has Richardson been in and demanded a salary uplift though? Perhaps the lad wants to play regular superleague? If I were him I'd be confident I could play regularly at the top level after a full year doing so.

I could be wrong like and it could all be about the dollar!

Starting A Programme Collection

The scrum half position is not our strength at the moment. We've struggled in that area since Longy left... some talent but nobody really been influential since then. Some talented players but not successful in that pivotal role (Eastmond, Lomax, Smith etc.) Perhaps Luke Walsh the most natural in the position - but could be hot and cold, defence not great and suffered that horrible injury.

A combined player of Fages and Richardson we might have a very decent player on our hands. Nothing against either of them - as I like them both, but a real quality scrum half would perhaps make a real difference to our current team - a real organiser to bring the best in the player around.

Justin Holbrook has built a very good team with strength across the field - but sometimes we lack a bit of superstar magic that's needed in games. Ben Barba was untouchable at times - but that went downhill.... and I prefer the balance to out team this season, but feel a couple of really standout players recruited to the team could make all the difference. Not sure they are available/affordable mind you.

We still might go on and win the grand final and it would be much deserved - but I also feel the team needs some additions to keep developing and build success for the future. Scrum half might be one area - maybe not the priority, but worth considering.

Coote has been quality this term - but wasn't greeted as a star. I think a really exciting signing that doesn't lose the balance/work ethic of the team could help next season.