Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 116

Thread: Player signings for next season

  1. #51
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,361
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    If we do look to get a proper scrum half I wonder if we would consider Josh Drinkwater, he was flavour of the month when he was at Catalans but no one talks about him now. He's pretty robust and I think he would be relatively cheap too

    I know that he's been released from Hull KR but I don't know if he has another team as yet. Sometimes these unheralded Aussies can do a decent job of organising a team and turning a scratchy performance into a win

    Other than that we clearly need a hard running second rower, an uncompromising presence that's prepared to mix it a bit. Not sure who that would be, but it would be someone like Gareth Hock but not actually him
    From what I’ve seen, Drinkwater’s defence is worse than Richardson’s while his goal kicking is not good enough for him to be the regular kicker for HKR. Aside from signing an NRL superstar scrum half, I’d rather continue with Fages especially as we’ve already got the best attack in the league allied with the best defence.

  2. #52
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    I wonder if we could persuade Paul Gallen to have a season here?

  3. #53
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    10,905
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
    Hi Div I'm sure we can go again next year with this squad but what if we fail to win the grand final this year will we still be thinking the same ? My Wigan supporting fans tell me the reason we are 16 points clear in the league is that no other team can be bothered putting the effort in for the whole season and it's what happens in the play offs that determine how successful your season as been. Personally I don't buy i to that argument and has a season ticket holder would be dissapointed if the team I support week in week out only put the effort in at the back end of the season.
    If that's the case it's well worth investing in a season ticket at those clubs then isn't it?! Might as well just rock up in mid September.
    Agree it's going to be gutting if end up empty handed again I think the competition starts to lack credibility when the runaway leaders in the last three seasons ( Cas + Saints twice) end up with nothing.
    It's no use having a strapline that "every week matters" when the reality is a couple of weeks in sept/ October Matters.

    The squad can always be strengthened of course but we are confined by the limits of the cap. This squad is good enough to finish top again next year as it stands.
    Last edited by Div; 9th September 2019 at 12:51.

  4. #54
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yet got more Grand Final winners rings than most of our current team and coaching staff.
    And each of those 3 has been let go by the club for which they won their rings; and has won nothing since.

  5. #55
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    9,487
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    And each of those 3 has been let go by the club for which they won their rings; and has won nothing since.
    Didn’t Smith leave Leeds to go full time England coach? (Winning the 2007 Grand Final in his last game). Didn’t Masoe choose to leave us? We didn’t ‘let him go’ as you say. At least try to get some facts before posting, pal.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  6. #56
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    I wouldn’t have Mose back but wouldn’t be upset with Keinhorst or Mulhern if we could get them at the right price.

  7. #57
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,060
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Re Richardson and Fages I guess a lot will depend whi impresses the new coach most during next pre-season.
    Holbrook thought Paulo would be useful addition to the side but he may not fit with new coach.

    I would like to see us bring in an experienced hooker to interchange with Roby, Smith has done well as a stand in but he needs another couple of seasons and even then he may not be able to do a full 80 mins.

    If we are going to bring anyone in the new coach would need to be active now in planning his team for next year

  8. #58
    In The South Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,939
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Re Richardson and Fages I guess a lot will depend whi impresses the new coach most during next pre-season.
    Holbrook thought Paulo would be useful addition to the side but he may not fit with new coach.

    I would like to see us bring in an experienced hooker to interchange with Roby, Smith has done well as a stand in but he needs another couple of seasons and even then he may not be able to do a full 80 mins.

    If we are going to bring anyone in the new coach would need to be active now in planning his team for next year
    People seem to forget Richardson was first choice even going into pre-season friendlies, Fages ended up taking his jersey based on training and friendlies. Still don't think there's much in it between them when you consider the different attributes they bring to the table. Still plenty for them both to improve on if we want a true 7 to compliment Lomax.

    Would anyone go for Parcell if Hull KR went down? Was up there with Roby as the best hooker in the league playing behind a dominant Leeds pack in 2017.

    In terms of not recruiting anyone for next season and maybe some other sides catching us up.....if we look at how Holbrook has improved so many of these players individually, imagine if our next coach can improve them all further again.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  9. #59
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chiang Rai Thailand
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I wonder if we could persuade Paul Gallen to have a season here?
    Dave , Paul Gallen a terrific competitor even tho' he is 38 . I would have him now if he replaced Paulo .

  10. #60
    Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Haydock
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,886
    Rep Power
    16

  11. #61
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,706
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Cant honestly say I've seen enough of him to say. Don't think he's been involved in first grade very much

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  12. #62
    Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Haydock
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,886
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-8hVSH3Co
    Big lad, not anything special for me

  13. #63
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,245
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Main thing I’d be looking at is a forward who can both carry the ball well through the line but can pass accurately both ways before the line. Wonder if Jake Trbojevic fancies a cold, December pre season, he isn’t too bad.

    Wouldn’t mind another 9. Someone who can manage a game, knows when and how to speed it up/slow it down, can draw defenders in and put players through gaps around the ruck. Maybe a kicking game as well. Cameron Smith is still doing alright, maybe he fancies winning a couple of Grand Finals over here before he finishes.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  14. #64
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    under the laughing tree
    Posts
    952
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I thought Amor’s contract was up at the end of the season. I remember him signing his three year deal in 2016 but i must’ve got that wrong. As the season has gone on he has improved, and he has also done a couple of decent offloads. This has to be his best season since the first year he was at the club.

  15. #65
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Main thing I’d be looking at is a forward who can both carry the ball well through the line but can pass accurately both ways before the line. Wonder if Jake Trbojevic fancies a cold, December pre season, he isn’t too bad.

    Wouldn’t mind another 9. Someone who can manage a game, knows when and how to speed it up/slow it down, can draw defenders in and put players through gaps around the ruck. Maybe a kicking game as well. Cameron Smith is still doing alright, maybe he fancies winning a couple of Grand Finals over here before he finishes.
    Is Jake the prop? His brother is a centre isn't he?
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  16. #66
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I thought Amor’s contract was up at the end of the season. I remember him signing his three year deal in 2016 but i must’ve got that wrong. As the season has gone on he has improved, and he has also done a couple of decent offloads. This has to be his best season since the first year he was at the club.
    Yep. He's proven me wrong
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  17. #67
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,706
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Is Jake the prop? His brother is a centre isn't he?
    He's a loose forward, Tom playing centre for origin but is a fullback

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  18. #68
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    150
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Didn’t Smith leave Leeds to go full time England coach? (Winning the 2007 Grand Final in his last game). Didn’t Masoe choose to leave us? We didn’t ‘let him go’ as you say. At least try to get some facts before posting, pal.
    Fair enough. But
    1. My post was a contribution to a conversation about people who might help us win a Grand Final next year. A contributor adduced the evidence that all 3 gentlemen have Grand Final Rings. It is a fact that none of them has won a Grand Final since leaving their respective winning clubs. The fact that Tony Smith has had a successful coaching career since leaving Leeds does not negate the fact that he has not won a Grand Final.
    2. All 3 were let go by their clubs in the literal sense that the clubs did not do enough to keep them in post.

    It might have been easier if I’d simply pointed to the Ricky Bibey argument.

  19. #69
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    Fair enough. But
    1. My post was a contribution to a conversation about people who might help us win a Grand Final next year. A contributor adduced the evidence that all 3 gentlemen have Grand Final Rings. It is a fact that none of them has won a Grand Final since leaving their respective winning clubs. The fact that Tony Smith has had a successful coaching career since leaving Leeds does not negate the fact that he has not won a Grand Final.
    2. All 3 were let go by their clubs in the literal sense that the clubs did not do enough to keep them in post.

    It might have been easier if I’d simply pointed to the Ricky Bibey argument.
    Simon be happy that we are signing players that may potentially win us trophies.
    In the bad old days when the board at Saints had well over a dozen members one of the group had a strange way of deciding which player we could sign that would do our club proud. He owned a firm (will avoid giving away what type of buissness) he then asked certain lads in the RL circle who worked for that company who they thought would be a good signing. He then said another board colleague had championed the name of Sonny Nickle and asked would he support his vote for Sonny. All the employees in the room said he would be very good as he had been outstanding that season with Sheffield. This chap then said he thought he would be good for us because his name would look good on the team sheet! and the fact he was black he would look good in the Red/White colours!!
    It turned out he only joined Saints board because he was in an unhappy marriage, mainly because his wife was female. He joined so he could see the young players thighs in shorts before kick off and could sit next to them after the game.

  20. #70
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Simon be happy that we are signing players that may potentially win us trophies.
    In the bad old days when the board at Saints had well over a dozen members one of the group had a strange way of deciding which player we could sign that would do our club proud. He owned a firm (will avoid giving away what type of buissness) he then asked certain lads in the RL circle who worked for that company who they thought would be a good signing. He then said another board colleague had championed the name of Sonny Nickle and asked would he support his vote for Sonny. All the employees in the room said he would be very good as he had been outstanding that season with Sheffield. This chap then said he thought he would be good for us because his name would look good on the team sheet! and the fact he was black he would look good in the Red/White colours!!
    It turned out he only joined Saints board because he was in an unhappy marriage, mainly because his wife was female. He joined so he could see the young players thighs in shorts before kick off and could sit next to them after the game.
    I'm not having that, I know a woman who went out with him briefly.

  21. #71
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm not having that, I know a woman who went out with him briefly.
    I don’t think he means Nickle, he means the board member

  22. #72
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm not having that, I know a woman who went out with him briefly.
    as retro said the board member not Sonny. My bad sentence structure.
    I have had this tale told to me with Apollo Perelini as the signing, I don`t know if that happened with AP also, but I was in the room when the board member said that about Sonny.

  23. #73
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    This gets more sordid by the minute.

  24. #74
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    This gets more sordid by the minute.
    Maybe he liked players surnames with semi precious metal, I wonder did he suggest Bobby Goulding......... Taxi

  25. #75
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Board Member : Mr Purple Aki

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •