Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Player signings for next season

Banned

I wonder if we could persuade Paul Gallen to have a season here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dash Riprock View Post
    Hi Div I'm sure we can go again next year with this squad but what if we fail to win the grand final this year will we still be thinking the same ? My Wigan supporting fans tell me the reason we are 16 points clear in the league is that no other team can be bothered putting the effort in for the whole season and it's what happens in the play offs that determine how successful your season as been. Personally I don't buy i to that argument and has a season ticket holder would be dissapointed if the team I support week in week out only put the effort in at the back end of the season.
    If that's the case it's well worth investing in a season ticket at those clubs then isn't it?! Might as well just rock up in mid September.
    Agree it's going to be gutting if end up empty handed again I think the competition starts to lack credibility when the runaway leaders in the last three seasons ( Cas + Saints twice) end up with nothing.
    It's no use having a strapline that "every week matters" when the reality is a couple of weeks in sept/ October Matters.

The squad can always be strengthened of course but we are confined by the limits of the cap. This squad is good enough to finish top again next year as it stands.
    Last edited by Div; 9th September 2019 at 13:51.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yet got more Grand Final winners rings than most of our current team and coaching staff.
    And each of those 3 has been let go by the club for which they won their rings; and has won nothing since.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    And each of those 3 has been let go by the club for which they won their rings; and has won nothing since.
    Didn’t Smith leave Leeds to go full time England coach? (Winning the 2007 Grand Final in his last game). Didn’t Masoe choose to leave us? We didn’t ‘let him go’ as you say. At least try to get some facts before posting, pal.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

I wouldn’t have Mose back but wouldn’t be upset with Keinhorst or Mulhern if we could get them at the right price.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Re Richardson and Fages I guess a lot will depend whi impresses the new coach most during next pre-season.
    Holbrook thought Paulo would be useful addition to the side but he may not fit with new coach.

I would like to see us bring in an experienced hooker to interchange with Roby, Smith has done well as a stand in but he needs another couple of seasons and even then he may not be able to do a full 80 mins.

If we are going to bring anyone in the new coach would need to be active now in planning his team for next year

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Re Richardson and Fages I guess a lot will depend whi impresses the new coach most during next pre-season.
    Holbrook thought Paulo would be useful addition to the side but he may not fit with new coach.

I would like to see us bring in an experienced hooker to interchange with Roby, Smith has done well as a stand in but he needs another couple of seasons and even then he may not be able to do a full 80 mins.

If we are going to bring anyone in the new coach would need to be active now in planning his team for next year
    People seem to forget Richardson was first choice even going into pre-season friendlies, Fages ended up taking his jersey based on training and friendlies. Still don't think there's much in it between them when you consider the different attributes they bring to the table. Still plenty for them both to improve on if we want a true 7 to compliment Lomax.

Would anyone go for Parcell if Hull KR went down? Was up there with Roby as the best hooker in the league playing behind a dominant Leeds pack in 2017.

In terms of not recruiting anyone for next season and maybe some other sides catching us up.....if we look at how Holbrook has improved so many of these players individually, imagine if our next coach can improve them all further again.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I wonder if we could persuade Paul Gallen to have a season here?
    Dave , Paul Gallen a terrific competitor even tho' he is 38 . I would have him now if he replaced Paulo .

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Cant honestly say I've seen enough of him to say. Don't think he's been involved in first grade very much

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-8hVSH3Co
    Big lad, not anything special for me

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Main thing I’d be looking at is a forward who can both carry the ball well through the line but can pass accurately both ways before the line. Wonder if Jake Trbojevic fancies a cold, December pre season, he isn’t too bad.

Wouldn’t mind another 9. Someone who can manage a game, knows when and how to speed it up/slow it down, can draw defenders in and put players through gaps around the ruck. Maybe a kicking game as well. Cameron Smith is still doing alright, maybe he fancies winning a couple of Grand Finals over here before he finishes.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

I thought Amor’s contract was up at the end of the season. I remember him signing his three year deal in 2016 but i must’ve got that wrong. As the season has gone on he has improved, and he has also done a couple of decent offloads. This has to be his best season since the first year he was at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Main thing I’d be looking at is a forward who can both carry the ball well through the line but can pass accurately both ways before the line. Wonder if Jake Trbojevic fancies a cold, December pre season, he isn’t too bad.

Wouldn’t mind another 9. Someone who can manage a game, knows when and how to speed it up/slow it down, can draw defenders in and put players through gaps around the ruck. Maybe a kicking game as well. Cameron Smith is still doing alright, maybe he fancies winning a couple of Grand Finals over here before he finishes.
    Is Jake the prop? His brother is a centre isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I thought Amor’s contract was up at the end of the season. I remember him signing his three year deal in 2016 but i must’ve got that wrong. As the season has gone on he has improved, and he has also done a couple of decent offloads. This has to be his best season since the first year he was at the club.
    Yep. He's proven me wrong

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Is Jake the prop? His brother is a centre isn't he?
    He's a loose forward, Tom playing centre for origin but is a fullback

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Didn’t Smith leave Leeds to go full time England coach? (Winning the 2007 Grand Final in his last game). Didn’t Masoe choose to leave us? We didn’t ‘let him go’ as you say. At least try to get some facts before posting, pal.
    Fair enough. But
    1. My post was a contribution to a conversation about people who might help us win a Grand Final next year. A contributor adduced the evidence that all 3 gentlemen have Grand Final Rings. It is a fact that none of them has won a Grand Final since leaving their respective winning clubs. The fact that Tony Smith has had a successful coaching career since leaving Leeds does not negate the fact that he has not won a Grand Final.
    2. All 3 were let go by their clubs in the literal sense that the clubs did not do enough to keep them in post.

It might have been easier if I’d simply pointed to the Ricky Bibey argument.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    Fair enough. But
    1. My post was a contribution to a conversation about people who might help us win a Grand Final next year. A contributor adduced the evidence that all 3 gentlemen have Grand Final Rings. It is a fact that none of them has won a Grand Final since leaving their respective winning clubs. The fact that Tony Smith has had a successful coaching career since leaving Leeds does not negate the fact that he has not won a Grand Final.
    2. All 3 were let go by their clubs in the literal sense that the clubs did not do enough to keep them in post.

It might have been easier if I’d simply pointed to the Ricky Bibey argument.
    Simon be happy that we are signing players that may potentially win us trophies.
    In the bad old days when the board at Saints had well over a dozen members one of the group had a strange way of deciding which player we could sign that would do our club proud. He owned a firm (will avoid giving away what type of buissness) he then asked certain lads in the RL circle who worked for that company who they thought would be a good signing. He then said another board colleague had championed the name of Sonny Nickle and asked would he support his vote for Sonny. All the employees in the room said he would be very good as he had been outstanding that season with Sheffield. This chap then said he thought he would be good for us because his name would look good on the team sheet! and the fact he was black he would look good in the Red/White colours!!
    It turned out he only joined Saints board because he was in an unhappy marriage, mainly because his wife was female. He joined so he could see the young players thighs in shorts before kick off and could sit next to them after the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Simon be happy that we are signing players that may potentially win us trophies.
    In the bad old days when the board at Saints had well over a dozen members one of the group had a strange way of deciding which player we could sign that would do our club proud. He owned a firm (will avoid giving away what type of buissness) he then asked certain lads in the RL circle who worked for that company who they thought would be a good signing. He then said another board colleague had championed the name of Sonny Nickle and asked would he support his vote for Sonny. All the employees in the room said he would be very good as he had been outstanding that season with Sheffield. This chap then said he thought he would be good for us because his name would look good on the team sheet! and the fact he was black he would look good in the Red/White colours!!
    It turned out he only joined Saints board because he was in an unhappy marriage, mainly because his wife was female. He joined so he could see the young players thighs in shorts before kick off and could sit next to them after the game.
    I'm not having that, I know a woman who went out with him briefly.

I don’t think he means Nickle, he means the board member

Learning All The Songs

as retro said the board member not Sonny. My bad sentence structure.
    I have had this tale told to me with Apollo Perelini as the signing, I don`t know if that happened with AP also, but I was in the room when the board member said that about Sonny.

Banned

This gets more sordid by the minute.

Learning All The Songs

This gets more sordid by the minute.
    Maybe he liked players surnames with semi precious metal, I wonder did he suggest Bobby Goulding......... Taxi

Board Member : Mr Purple Aki

Banned

One of our cats is named after Sonny, no prizes for guessing what colour he is although they also share the same no nonsense attitude.