Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheer leaders

Noooobie

Default Cheer leaders

Is it just me that is irritated by the cheer leaders?

What is the point of them?

It's just a bunch of pubescent girls messing about at the side of the pitch. They don't take it seriously, aren't interested in the game and do this silly, half hearted waving of Pom poms when saints score. It's Just unnecessary, unprofessional nonsense imho.
    Also, they must suffer when the weather is bad and the benefit is not worth anyone's suffering.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by RestlessApe View Post

It's just a bunch of pubescent girls messing about at the side of the pitch. They don't take it seriously, aren't interested in the game and do this silly, half hearted waving of Pom poms when saints score. It's Just unnecessary, unprofessional nonsense imho.
    Also, they must suffer when the weather is bad and the benefit is not worth anyone's suffering.
    It honestly doesn’t bother me, I normally only have eyes for the rugby. Aren’t a lot of them part of local clubs?

Encouraging more girls to keep fit than just rugby seems alright to me

Maybe just look somewhere else? If they don’t want to be there they don’t have to be

Banned

Aye, more half arsed american rubbish. Can't say I pay much attention but it's a load of shite.

Learning All The Songs

It's all about the local community and giving kids things to do. They do great job with the all the different age groups and should be praised for giving up their time to run these groups.

Learning All The Songs

Of all the things to create a new account and write your first post for...

Not a particular fan of cheerleaders myself but there were perhaps 100 young girls performing at half time and I would think that it’s as good a way as any of getting such kids (and perhaps their parents) interested in the game. I think the lack of attraction to me is that the main cheerleaders are neither especially good at dancing nor of an age to be attractive to adult male spectators. I do remember at least looking at the London Broncos cheerleaders around the era that they played at Charlton - all were good looking, in their 20s and apparently were professional dancers who’d appeared in West End shows. I also remember watching a cheerleader performance at Barnsley during halftime when Ellery Hanley was coach. They were also adults, good dancers and worth watching although that may have been helped by Saints playing poorly and about to have their 13 game unbeaten streak broken! I suppose my real level of interest is summed up by the fact that when I watched an NFL game in New York, I can’t recall having seen any cheerleaders at all.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by RestlessApe View Post

Judging by this post about something that most adults couldn’t give 2 hoots about I would say you are either a young female who has not been picked to do it or an older adult who finds themselves getting embarrassingly aroused when they do their cheering or Pom Pom waving. What next? Don’t have the young lads/girls playing rugby at half time, no half time entertainment whatsoever, get rid of the MC before the game. I think everything that goes on outside of the game itself is to try and encourage more youngsters, whether they be male or female, to come to the game and enjoy the whole experience so much that they want to come back

Learning All The Songs

I’m sure war hero (ha ha ha) and Monarchy Man Andrew Windsor would find them very interesting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stobartmassive View Post
    Judging by this post about something that most adults couldn’t give 2 hoots about I would say you are either a young female who has not been picked to do it or an older adult who finds themselves getting embarrassingly aroused when they do their cheering or Pom Pom waving. What next? Don’t have the young lads/girls playing rugby at half time, no half time entertainment whatsoever, get rid of the MC before the game. I think everything that goes on outside of the game itself is to try and encourage more youngsters, whether they be male or female, to come to the game and enjoy the whole experience so much that they want to come back
    So you like watching teenage girls dancing around not wearing much? That's not strange. It's pointless, cheap rubbish that has no place at RL and I'd be of the same opinion if it was 50 Victoria's Secret models doing it. And yes, get rid of the daft MC too. I'm getting sick of this "experience" nonsense, you go to watch a game not listen to some clown or watch a half arsed dance routine. Half time is 15-20 minutes, you're not telling me you need to be entertained or else it spoils your day, go for a leak, brew, pint, whatever and get back to your spot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Aye, more half arsed american rubbish. Can't say I pay much attention but it's a load of shite.
    You would pay attention if it was the Dallas Cowgirls

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

My view on this has changed after I went to the game with a mate who took his kids with him. One of them was a young girl.

Before I would have agreed with the OP, I thought it was a waste of time.
    At that game she wasn't really bothered about the rugby but loved watching the cheerleaders and was asking how she could do that as well. I think once you see what stuff like that means to people especially kids then it's definitely worth having.

Same with the kids who do the flags and play at half time. They proper buzz off doing it. We should do as much as we can to include the kids of the town because they are the future fans. Not just that but it's good for their development.

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    My view on this has changed after I went to the game with a mate who took his kids with him. One of them was a young girl.

At that game she wasn't really bothered about the rugby but loved watching the cheerleaders and was asking how she could do that as well. I think once you see what stuff like that means to people especially kids then it's definitely worth having.

Same with the kids who do the flags and play at half time. They proper buzz off doing it. We should do as much as we can to include the kids of the town because they are the future fans. Not just that but it's good for their development.
    Agreed. It’s a big thing for the girls I’m sure and without our community engagement as a club we don’t have much

Upside
    Non Members

Engagement with the community

Offering nice experiences to young people

Getting people involved

Giving them positive memories and experiences

They do no harm and any addition to match day entertainment is a good thing, of you don't like it don't watch

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    So you like watching teenage girls dancing around not wearing much? That's not strange. It's pointless, cheap rubbish that has no place at RL and I'd be of the same opinion if it was 50 Victoria's Secret models doing it. And yes, get rid of the daft MC too. I'm getting sick of this "experience" nonsense, you go to watch a game not listen to some clown or watch a half arsed dance routine. Half time is 15-20 minutes, you're not telling me you need to be entertained or else it spoils your day, go for a leak, brew, pint, whatever and get back to your spot.
    It’s the weekend, go and enjoy it rather than sulking about cheerleaders. Alternatively, ask the club to organise a meeting with you and the cheerleading boss so you can air your views. Similar i suppose to Hicks and the wire keyboard warrior

Default Cheer leaders

Good post. I must say the cheerleading is part of the game day buildup that I just phase out. I would have been inclined to say that it’s completely pointless but if it means something to the kids then fair enough.

I’m going to sound like a properly old man here but the one thing that I really wish would change (but obviously won’t) is the playing of extremely loud (and, let’s be honest, utterly sh1t) music constantly in the build up to big games. I’m thinking of big semi finals and finals at neutral venues. One of the things I used to really like about those events was the way you could hear the atmosphere building up as it got closer to kick off - there was an audible buzz. Now all you can hear is whatever dreck the sound guy or the MC is deciding to inflict on you. It’s like instead of getting excited you’re listening to someone telling you to be excited.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Engagement with the community

Offering nice experiences to young people

Getting people involved

Giving them positive memories and experiences

They do no harm and any addition to match day entertainment is a good thing, of you don't like it don't watch
    Absolutely, can't see it's an issue to be honest.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

I remember in the Millward era when we were running in tries for fun they were up and down like a brides nightie.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

I’m not a fan myself. I think Crowe summed it up well at Souths but I also find it horribly passe. Its as bad run its course un the same way that silly, cringeworthy sky try music has and people playing ‘right here, right now’ when the ref goes to the screen. If I were a Nazi all would have a bullet.

Noooobie

There's deffo a future in "flag dragging" that young pilk's lad brought the house down last night = top kid lol.

In The South Stand

Bunch of old perverts/weirdos who don't like the female form.

Why on earth would someone be motivated to write such nonsense? If the girls dig it, let them do it. If they don't, don't force them. Applies to a few situations in life.

We've just about had the best season the club has ever had (Barring the abortion at Wembley and the forthcoming disappointment in the Play Offs/Old Trafford) and the top thread is about cheerleaders, and it's not like there is even a conspiracy or scandal involving them.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I’m not a fan myself. I think Crowe summed it up well at Souths but I also find it horribly passe. Its as bad run its course un the same way that silly, cringeworthy sky try music has and people playing ‘right here, right now’ when the ref goes to the screen. If I were a Nazi all would have a bullet.
    But what were doing is different, it's not Dallas cowboys eye candy it's young kids and including them in the match day experience. That day I posted about earlier one of the cheerleaders mums was near us and overheard what was going on. She said they meet up through the week at saints and go over the routines and it's like a club for them, just like how the boys go rugby training.

Honestly if you witnessed the effect it had on them I don't see how you can say it's a bad thing. The game I'm talking about was the Catalan home game and it was a lot of young kids first time at saints. This is the stuff we should be doing for the future, those community days and including the youngsters even if it's just a few Sunday fixtures during the year.

If your still not interested fair enough just ignore it and crack on. My mates coach kids rugby, until recently I've not seen the effect it has on them and it's really good what saints are doing with the community sides. It's something we should be proud of.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

But what were doing is different, it's not Dallas cowboys eye candy it's young kids and including them in the match day experience. That day I posted about earlier one of the cheerleaders mums was near us and overheard what was going on. She said they meet up through the week at saints and go over the routines and it's like a club for them, just like how the boys go rugby training.

Honestly if you witnessed the effect it had on them I don't see how you can say it's a bad thing. The game I'm talking about was the Catalan home game and it was a lot of young kids first time at saints. This is the stuff we should be doing for the future, those community days and including the youngsters even if it's just a few Sunday fixtures during the year.

If your still not interested fair enough just ignore it and crack on. My mates coach kids rugby, until recently I've not seen the effect it has on them and it's really good what saints are doing with the community sides. It's something we should be proud of.
    I don't take that much notice myself, but I always feel sorry for the kids trying their best, and having people like me showing no appreciation. If they enjoy it good luck to them.

Starting A Programme Collection

Exactly mate , I remember taking my son to his first game , he was about 5 years old . There was a a show by the police with their alsations . All thro' the game he kept asking me when the dogs were coming back . I was choked .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Good post. I must say the cheerleading is part of the game day buildup that I just phase out. I would have been inclined to say that it’s completely pointless but if it means something to the kids then fair enough.

I’m going to sound like a properly old man here but the one thing that I really wish would change (but obviously won’t) is the playing of extremely loud (and, let’s be honest, utterly sh1t) music constantly in the build up to big games. I’m thinking of big semi finals and finals at neutral venues. One of the things I used to really like about those events was the way you could hear the atmosphere building up as it got closer to kick off - there was an audible buzz. Now all you can hear is whatever dreck the sound guy or the MC is deciding to inflict on you. It’s like instead of getting excited you’re listening to someone telling you to be excited.
    I was wondering if the fella who was the MC at the Bolton SF’s is the one who is at Leeds and does the home international’s, and the CC Final. His voice really grates on me, and he reminds me of a fella on the waltzer at a fair shouting out “do you really want to go faster.......let’s hear St Helens, let’s hear Halifax. He’s dreadful and someone should just say to him “go as your annoying now”. As for the music, yes it is dreadful but didn’t Saints let fans send in requests of songs they’d like to be played. I can’t remember how it was done or whether they still do it. I do think at times the music is booming at RL games and i was wondering if RL fans are all a little deaf, so that’s why its so loud. I think Saints should change some of the tunes when we score, although the only one that sticks in my mind is that “sing hallelujah” thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I was wondering if the fella who was the MC at the Bolton SF’s is the one who is at Leeds and does the home international’s, and the CC Final. His voice really grates on me, and he reminds me of a fella on the waltzer at a fair shouting out “do you really want to go faster.......let’s hear St Helens, let’s hear Halifax. He’s dreadful and someone should just say to him “go as your annoying now”. As for the music, yes it is dreadful but didn’t Saints let fans send in requests of songs they’d like to be played. I can’t remember how it was done or whether they still do it. I do think at times the music is booming at RL games and i was wondering if RL fans are all a little deaf, so that’s why its so loud. I think Saints should change some of the tunes when we score, although the only one that sticks in my mind is that “sing hallelujah” thing.
    Mate that guy has been doing it for years. He's dreadful. Plus I mostly associate his voice with us losing.

As for the cheerleaders, crack on. Neither here or there for me. Gets the younger ones down to Saints, without them turning up, we eventually won't have a sport to talk about