Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Relegation

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    That's the one we're back in the clear

When we discuss attendances let's ignore the better attended teams when working out figures
    I am unsure whether you grasped the irony of your reply so I will explain another way. Are more people going to the game or have we shifted the attendances from one league to another?

Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Carry on,,, its being noted your insults
    Noted.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Noted.
    You took your time replying? Reading your favourite newspaper,, THE SUN was you?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    I am unsure whether you grasped the irony of your reply so I will explain another way. Are more people going to the game or have we shifted the attendances from one league to another?
    Two teams entering the league who have decent attendances will have a positive affect, without more detailed analysis it's hard to know how much of the growth is due to that. Widnes have a solid historic following but not great numbers for the SL, Bradford have a good following and likely to have more attending when playing a league above.

But the fact remains regardless, attendances are up for the championship and that's a good thing, we should celebrate this not look for reasons to dismiss this good news

Got A Season Ticket

Yes agreed it is a good thing for the championship. For the game as a whole, inconclusive.

League 1 is down which is connected to the Bradford move. Toronto helped to keep numbers up but you wonder about the sustainability.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    Yes agreed it is a good thing for the championship. For the game as a whole, inconclusive.

League 1 is down which is connected to the Bradford move. Toronto helped to keep numbers up but you wonder about the sustainability.
    Yes I'm pro expansion but I'm cautious about Toronto in its current format, a case of wait and see

Sad to hear league one is down, I suspect aBradford had an impact, I'm not sure of that league, tombig a gap between top and bottom. I wanted the reserves to play in that league including some of the bottom half teams

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    You took your time replying? Reading your favourite newspaper,, THE SUN was you?
    No, what an odd question.

Got A Replica Shirt

The worry about Toronto is the number of actual home games they have played this year. That surely wont work in super league. Bradford I do not think will get promoted in a very long time. Outside bet for next year? York. new stadium, dynamic owners, affluent City with RL history especially in the Clarence Street era. Worth a few bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    The worry about Toronto is the number of actual home games they have played this year. That surely wont work in super league. Bradford I do not think will get promoted in a very long time. Outside bet for next year? York. new stadium, dynamic owners, affluent City with RL history especially in the Clarence Street era. Worth a few bob.
    I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with York.

Learning All The Songs

I'm quite enthusiastic about York, lots to be excited about

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Yes I'm pro expansion but I'm cautious about Toronto in its current format, a case of wait and see

Sad to hear league one is down, I suspect aBradford had an impact, I'm not sure of that league, tombig a gap between top and bottom. I wanted the reserves to play in that league including some of the bottom half teams
    York and bradford will both have had an impact

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I'm going to go against the consensus here and say that I don't care who gets relegated, and I think it says alot about the problems in our sport that people give reasons for why club x is better than club y for reasons other than their quality as a team. If the structure of the comp was better, and if we didn't have a restrictive salary cap that handcuffs the biggest clubs we wouldn't really be giving thought to whether London, Hull KR, Huddersfield or Wakefield 'offer more' to Super League, because the league would be stronger and more exciting at the top end, and the clubs at the bottom end would simply be less important.

Do football fans talk about whether Bournemouth 'offer more' to the Premier League than the likes of big clubs outside of it like Leeds United or Sheffield Wednesday? No, the strength of the league means that they can happily cope with a club with a ground that only holds 11,000. Huddersfield won 3 of their 38 games last season in the Premier League, they were an absolute joke, but nobody was calling it a great day when they went down because they weren't 'offering anything to the league' because the league is defined by its best teams and not by its worst.

Rugby Union journos make the case that having Newcastle or Leeds Carnegie in the Premiership would be better in terms of having another Northern club, but at the end of the day if they're not hardly anyone gets themselves worked up over it because the league is defined by its best teams and not the ones at the bottom. Anyone tuning into a game at Sale would think RU was a game played in front of crap crowds, but you don't hear people saying Sale 'offer nothing' to the league because they aren't that important in a comp which is defined by the clubs at the top and not the ones making up the numbers.

But, in RL we continually try to manufacture Super League to make sure club x is in and club y is out, because our comp isn't good enough or strong enough to cope with a few clubs making up the numbers. In a salary capped sport if you finish bottom, tough, you're down. That should be the only consideration. There is nothing unfair about it. If Wigan, Wire, Hull, Leeds and co were punching their weight, getting crowds and challenging us at the top, and if the league actually enabled the weekly rounds to be more important we'd not worry too much about the geographical positions or ground quality of teams at the bottom. The fact that we are shows that the comp and the game are not achieving their potential where it needs to, namely at the top end of Super League.

Oh, but for RL to be as popular and wealthy as football, or even rugby union!

The thing with football is that they don't need any particular team to be in the top tier, as there are a multitude of teams able to fill their stadiums and contribute to generating a £multi-billion TV revenue.

Even in RU, their international game and the perpetual promotion by the right-wing media in this country has given them the financial stability to not need to manufacture scenarios that help create the notion of it being a countrywide sport. They have wealthy benefactors and the public school link to the game means that, in our 'old school tie, jobs for the boys' corporate executive culture, there's friendly sponsors a-plenty.

RL doesn't have that advantage. From the outset, we've had to battle for every last quid, for every last fan, for every last bit of media exposure. Yes, we've had a succession of small-time pillocks at the helm of our sport, but the fact is that we've been perma-skint for decades. I know many fans like the whole, parochial 'northern throwback' sh*t and want to see the game focus on the heartlands but that way, especially in this age of media will lead only to a return to RL being a part-time sport, and a steady decline.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar

From listening to Elstone on Rugby AM, I think he's far from convinced over Toronto and says they will have to meet some criteria to get into Super League

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    From listening to Elstone on Rugby AM, I think he's far from convinced over Toronto and says they will have to meet some criteria to get into Super League
    I find this bizarre. Whatever the arguments for or against Toronto they surely must have been led to believe long ago that if they won the Championship they would get into Super League so for Super League to start questioning this now seems strange. Iíve never been to their ground (if thatís the issue) but on TV it looks better than London, Cas and Wakey. For what itís worth Iíve not been too impressed with Elstone so far.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I find this bizarre. Whatever the arguments for or against Toronto they surely must have been led to believe long ago that if they won the Championship they would get into Super League so for Super League to start questioning this now seems strange. I’ve never been to their ground (if that’s the issue) but on TV it looks better than London, Cas and Wakey. For what it’s worth I’ve not been too impressed with Elstone so far.
    They haven't fallen under SL so far so all the checks were done by the RFL.

I suspect it's all different now as SL as its own identify need their own assurances, I've no idea what these are but understand them being asked for, I suspect they asked sometime ago and not yet received them, and D day is getting closer

In between the sniping and bickering there is some decent debate on this thread.
    Pity we have to work hard to pick out the good bits.

The Toronto situation is an absolute farce. Right from the launch they had made it clear their intention was to reach super league and they have built a squad to that end.
    If the powers that be had any doubts over their suitability, viability and pure practicality over logistics etc they should have been thrashed out long before the week or so before they are likely to qualify.
    The governance of this sport never fails to shoot itself in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I recorded Rugby AM tonight. First half was followed by the second half of last week's programme?! Is Free Sports run from somebody's bedroom and how do they cock up things like that? Not the first time they have played to wrong episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I recorded Rugby AM tonight. First half was followed by the second half of last week's programme?! Is Free Sports run from somebody's bedroom and how do they cock up things like that? Not the first time they have played to wrong episode.
    Ralph Rimmer's probably.