Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relegation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default Relegation

4 sides on 20 points, looks like coming down to points difference.

Wakefield -124
    Huddersfield -207
    Hull KR -219
    London -273

Huddersfield v Catalan
    Salford v Hull KR
    Wakefield v London

All teams know that a win keeps them up.

Would back Huddersfield to turn over Catalan on Catalans current form. Would also expect Salford to beat Hull KR. Wakey v London who knows? But could be a very nervous week for Hull KR.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Just thinking ahead to next season, haven’t Toronto got a plastic pitch? Would that mean we wouldn’t play Lomax and Makinson if so?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Just thinking ahead to next season, haven’t Toronto got a plastic pitch? Would that mean we wouldn’t play Lomax and Makinson if so?
    Yes and it is a "public toilet" of a stadium. Seems soulless. Not sure what they will bring to Superleague other than increased travel budgets and a novelty factor.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_down_under View Post
    Yes and it is a "public toilet" of a stadium. Seems soulless. Not sure what they will bring to Superleague other than increased travel budgets and a novelty factor.
    I would prefer to see Toulouse in Super League

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I would prefer to see Toulouse in Super League
    So would I. There are a lot of amateur and semi pro teams around that region, so plenty of feeder clubs.

Default Relegation

I think the standard has stabilised and possibly picked up slightly over the last two or three years thanks to the marquee rule. There have been some better quality imports and the flow of players to the NRL and RU seems to have slowed down.

But there’s absolutely no question that the calibre of player running around in this league is well below what it was 10-20 years ago.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think the standard has stabilised and possibly picked up slightly over the last two or three years thanks to the marquee rule. There have been some better quality imports and the flow of players to the NRL and RU seems to have slowed down.
    Not convinced, look at the number of NRL players in the GB provisional as well as Aussie born players, which I disagree with! in the Sunday papers yesterday there were rumours of RL players to go to RU, no names yet? and look at how many coaching we have lost to RU over the years.

Default Relegation

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Not convinced, look at the number of NRL players in the GB provisional as well as Aussie born players, which I disagree with! in the Sunday papers yesterday there were rumours of RL players to go to RU, no names yet? and look at how many coaching we have lost to RU over the years.
    Over the years, yes. But I’d suggest that the flow has slowed down in the last couple of years. Most of the NRL names in the GB squad are players who have already been there for a few years.

I’m not for a second suggesting that we should be satisfied with where we are, but just that the marquee rule has nudged us in the right direction.

Upside
    Non Members

I think people have selective memories when considering the past

Some players stood out years ago because the rest were very average

Now the average player is much better, meaning the best find it harder to shine each and every week

We still have some very good players, Roby, Rachford, Walmsley, Williams,(and others) some good imports like Barba, Austin etc and a bunch of great players who've headed out to the NRL

Our academy beat Aus last year, the championship has really improved in recent years there's so much to be optomistic about but every generation seems to think it was better back in their day.

Naming a few super stars from the past is not proof the overall standard is now wel below what it was

The game isn't different than then which is also a consideration when comparing eras

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post

Now the average player is much better, meaning the best find it harder to shine each and every week

We still have some very good players, Roby, Rachford, Walmsley, Williams,(and others) some good imports like Barba, Austin etc and a bunch of great players who've headed out to the NRL

Our academy beat Aus last year, the championship has really improved in recent years there's so much to be optomistic about but every generation seems to think it was better back in their day.

Naming a few super stars from the past is not proof the overall standard is now wel below what it was

The game isn't different than then which is also a consideration when comparing eras
    Our academy always beats Aus. I remember an academy team featuring James Graham in beating Australia's equivalent.

When we get to the NRL v Super League though...

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post

I think you might be right that the standard of the average player has risen slightly over recent years, no doubt thanks to advances in conditioning and coaching. But there were simply more star-quality players in the SL then than there are now. Part of the reason is in your own post: 'and a bunch of great players who've headed out to the NRL'. This is not evidence of a stronger SL - it's evidence of a SL that has been weakened by cashed-up competitors.

As I've posted above, I agree that the quality of import has started to improve over the last couple of years thanks to the marquee rule, but there were more good ones coming over in the early 2000s and nobody was going in the opposite direction.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Some good posts here, with regards to attendances, we've probably plateaued, and on the whole attendances are better now, found an article which had some averages:

1995 - Leeds 11500, Wigan 12k, Saints 7k, Wire 5k, Cas 4k, London 2.3k

It didn't have all the teams from that year but for example Hull had 5.6k in 1998, Salford 5k in 1997, Wakefield 4k in 1999

The average across the league was 5.5k in 1995, rising to 6.2k in 1999 peaking just short of 7k in 97/98

This season (according to Wikipedia) has Saints, Hull, Leeds and Wigan all above 11k, with warrington just shy of 11k. Catalans (helped by Barcelona) 10.5k, Hull KR 8k, Cas 7k, the others all under 5.5k over their 14 home games. With an average attendance of 8300. (It's unclear where Magic fits into this)

Whichever way you look at it there's more people watching league games nowadays, however cup competitions and Internationals where clearly better attended back then, that however seems to be the theme across all sport nowadays

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Some good posts here, with regards to attendances, we've probably plateaued, and on the whole attendances are better now, found an article which had some averages:

It didn't have all the teams from that year but for example Hull had 5.6k in 1998, Salford 5k in 1997, Wakefield 4k in 1999

The average across the league was 5.5k in 1995, rising to 6.2k in 1999 peaking just short of 7k in 97/98

This season (according to Wikipedia) has Saints, Hull, Leeds and Wigan all above 11k, with warrington just shy of 11k. Catalans (helped by Barcelona) 10.5k, Hull KR 8k, Cas 7k, the others all under 5.5k over their 14 home games. With an average attendance of 8300. (It's unclear where Magic fits into this)

Whichever way you look at it there's more people watching league games nowadays, however cup competitions and Internationals where clearly better attended back then, that however seems to be the theme across all sport nowadays
    Which would all be well on tge face of it but for one key point: the majority of SL teams are flogging tickets for little more than a few Tesco vouchers and a pound of tripe.

In fact the sport can’t even come close to selling out Wembley and it struggles to drum up impressive attendances for many other ‘showpiece’ fixtures without resorting to selling off tickets for bargain basement prices.

And people wonder why the sport has a something for nothing culture with a commercial profile in the toilet.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Which would all be well on tge face of it but for one key point: the majority of SL teams are flogging tickets for little more than a few Tesco vouchers and a pound of tripe.

In fact the sport can’t even come close to selling out Wembley and it struggles to drum up impressive attendances for many other ‘showpiece’ fixtures without resorting to selling off tickets for bargain basement prices.

And people wonder why the sport has a something for nothing culture with a commercial profile in the toilet.
    Phew, nice work eddiewarringsflatcap, there was almost a positive post there but we quickly shot it down

We just need to explain away the 30% increase to the championship attendances now and let normal service resume

Got A Season Ticket

Widnes relegation and Bradford promotion account for the increase?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    Widnes relegation and Bradford promotion account for the increase?
    That's the one we're back in the clear

When we discuss attendances let's ignore the better attended teams when working out figures

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post

I'm not sure free tickets has always been a thing, I remember getting them at school in 1996. Following saints seems more expensive than ever, particularly finals..

I've found a GF ticket on eBay from 99, it's Ł15, the same area is now Ł30, I'm not certain but I reckon that's ahead of inflation..

Not everything is Rosey, clearly not, but on the whole attendances have improved

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Thought the HKR vs London game was exciting to watch.

Brock Lamb impressed me in the halves for London. First time I've seen much of him and he looked a real threat ball in hand and had some nice touches. At SL level at least.

Interesting to see what'll happen with him next year- I know the Roosters have signed another half to add to the fold for next year.

Could be another Jackson Hastings in our competition, who's been really good for Salford.

Who will get relegated? Can't call it. I thought HKR would beat London tonight.

Regards,

STEVO

Please tell me they are all playing at the same time

I think Wakefield should just about have enough at home and send London back down

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think Wakefield should just about have enough at home and send London back down
    Funny thing is Wakey could lose at home to London and as long as either Huddersfield or KR lose they are still safe.

Banned

No pressure on London really. Nobody gave them a hope in hell and now a 50-50 chance of staying up. They might just do it.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    They should be,,, the most exciting final day of the season i can remember for a while,,, Salford v hull kr and Wakefield v London kick off at 3pm next sunday
    All relegation threatened teams will play Fri with a 7.45pm k. O.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Thought the HKR vs London game was exciting to watch.

Brock Lamb impressed me in the halves for London. First time I've seen much of him and he looked a real threat ball in hand and had some nice touches. At SL level at least.

Interesting to see what'll happen with him next year- I know the Roosters have signed another half to add to the fold for next year.

Could be another Jackson Hastings in our competition, who's been really good for Salford.

Who will get relegated? Can't call it. I thought HKR would beat London tonight.

Regards,

STEVO
    A bit condescending.

Got A Season Ticket UhAhGeorgie Mann's Avatar

Really hope London do it. Nobody gave them a prayer at the start of the season. Can't see Hull KR beating Salford so hopefully they can send Maguire and that shit house tomkins down. Great break by Morgan at the end. Thought he'd blown it by not passing to Dixon but it was the right decision.