Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Saints audio commentary for 2020 season?

Noooobie

Default Saints audio commentary for 2020 season?

I'm just wondering that now there's no more Super League radio commentary because Wish FM aren't covering it anymore? I realise that if people listen to the match on BBC Radio Merseyside this is not a problem, however there are a lot of other people loved the Wish FM commentary and I'm wondering how Saints as a club plan to replace this if at all? I know they have special radio commentary inside the ground for the blind or people that can't see very well and I think that's a great idea, but is there something going to be done for the people that don't like Radio Merseyside commentary? I.E are Saints going to start providing their own audio commentary via their official website next season? I know that Liverpool fc have their own audio commentary on their matches on their website and it seems to work really well, and makes up for what they lost when Radio City stopped doing commentary on their matches at the end of the 2014-2015 football season.

Learning All The Songs

Have they just stopped Saints game or both us and Wigan?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Have they just stopped Saints game or both us and Wigan?
    Both stopped. Also stopping coverage of the Latics.

Hopefully Wigan TV will continue audio commentary with Joe Mills and Bilko as they have all season. Don't know whether Saints have a back up plan.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Think wire FM has stopped as well

Learning All The Songs

Has there been any reasons given for the non coverage from next year? Is it a budget thing or lack of listeners?

the new owners, bauer media group, simply aren't interested in providing a local service for local people as you'll see if you look at their portfolio of uk radio stations which all appear to be computer controlled.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Both stopped. Also stopping coverage of the Latics.

Hopefully Wigan TV will continue audio commentary with Joe Mills and Bilko as they have all season. Don't know whether Saints have a back up plan.
    Those two will be on Wigan tv from next season

Quote Originally Posted by el ste View Post
    the new owners, bauer media group, simply aren't interested in providing a local service for local people as you'll see if you look at their portfolio of uk radio stations which all appear to be computer controlled.
    This was mentioned but Chris Milow at the Latics Fan Forum last week said that in Latics' case at least it was decided the coverage wasn't commercially viable in relation to listener figures rather than a strategic decision. Latics now have a subscription service to listen to their games which I haven't listened to.

Chris Price and Mike Bennett/Dave Lyon were really good, as was Guy Clarke for Latics. Joe Mills however was absymal, embarrasing listening to him shouting at nothing, slagging other teams off and his arrogance knew no bounds. Wigans Wish coverage was unlistenable.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Not bothered about radio commentary but would love to suscribe if saints followed Wigan & had video coverage . C'mon Eammon think of your overseas fans that can only watch when Saints are on Sky .

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Sounds like a job for RedVee Radio or the advent of one.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armourer View Post
    Sounds like a job for RedVee Radio or the advent of one.
    RedVee Radio has a ring to it. If saints don't do their own, maybe they could work with RedVee to provide a service.
    Last edited by Bronco; 24th October 2019 at 21:08.
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Banned

Didn't know about Wish.

This was the only radio option if you were in the car, since Radio Merseyside stopped putting their match coverage on DAB/FM (preferring some rubbish easy-listening crap from a Brummy bloke). I guess if I'm out and about, it'll have to be steaming and bluetooth it to the car, but that's a PITA.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Didn't know about Wish.

This was the only radio option if you were in the car, since Radio Merseyside stopped putting their match coverage on DAB/FM (preferring some rubbish easy-listening crap from a Brummy bloke). I guess if I'm out and about, it'll have to be steaming and bluetooth it to the car, but that's a PITA.
    Oh don’t get me started on Radio Scouse, for our sins we were lumped with merseyside (who Claim anyone from east of Huyton is into beastiality but it’s only a joke larr). They have a nationally top team in their radio area, but they put US country music on their FM when we are playing.

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Aye, Bauer bought all the local stations and they’ve dropped a lot of the local content. Wish/Wire etc will likely be names of the past shortly when they’re rebranded as a generic Hits radio all playing the same music at the same time.

Bauer haven’t a clue and they’ve decimated and destroyed local radio systematically.

Still, finished on a high with the Grand Final singing Champions! Champions! Champions! down the mic!

For commentary to be done properly you need a professional commentator who can talk and describe proceedings for 2 hrs straight without a script and without allowing for silence! It’s harder than doing tv commentary where the viewer has visuals. I did co-comms which is far easier as the main man guides it, and the last 6 and a half years I was blessed to have Chris Price alongside who was unbelievably good and made an extremely hard job sound easy
    Last edited by Bronco; 24th October 2019 at 21:28.

@RedveeDotNet

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Aye, Bauer bought all the local stations and they’ve dropped a lot of the local content. Wish/Wire etc will likely be names of the past shortly when they’re rebranded as a generic Hits radio all playing the same music at the same time.

Bauer haven’t a clue and they’ve decimated and destroyed local radio systematically.

Still, finished on a high with the Grand Final singing Champions! Champions! Champions! down the mic!

For commentary to be done properly you need a professional commentator who can talk and describe proceedings for 2 hrs straight without a script and without allowing for silence! It’s harder than doing tv commentary where the viewer has visuals. I did co-comms which is far easier as the main man guides it, and the last 6 and a half years I was blessed to have Chris Price alongside who was unbelievably good and made an extremely hard job sound easy
    I've noticed this already, there used to be some half decent music on Wish, now it's just generic pop idles crap.

And yes, I used a bit of poetic licence in that.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post

Surely now is the time to expand redvee into the radio world??? Redvee fm follow all saints games here. I want to be Co commentator at the first game, I can go full Phil Clarke to create controversy if needed...

With the fallout from Local Radio then a chance for the likes of Dave Parkinson from journalism/new media
    and Chris Price from radio to
    utilise webtechnologies such as mixlr.com