Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Standard of referees

Why oh why can't the touch judges police the 10m rule at the PTB? They have a flag, just like in football. It would then leave the referee to focus on the PTB. I don't think we need 2 referees, we just need to make better use of the resources we have in place already.
    I bought a pack of luminous condoms last week. The wife's face lit up.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_h View Post
    Why oh why can't the touch judges police the 10m rule at the PTB? They have a flag, just like in football. It would then leave the referee to focus on the PTB. I don't think we need 2 referees, we just need to make better use of the resources we have in place already.
    Its a good point, i would advocate 2 referees is a better option, but as a fallback it could work well enough. I had suggested it earlier when someone said we may have trouble recruiting the number of referees required for 2 per game, it would allow the ref to focus on the play the ball and be in a better area to call knock ons and forward passes as they would be closer to play.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

That question has been asked so many times, and no one knows the answer.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    easy the assistants are there to help the referee so the referee will ask them to done certain things ..like looking on side off side..interferance..dangerous play and helping them to count to 6.
    the last of these seems to be the only job they are actually given as this is the 1 thing the refs cant do,

Learning All The Songs

It's difficult for a touch judge to police the 10m rule when referees are so loosey goosey with where the defensive line should be. If referees were to stick to a consistent position then they'd stand a chance - whether that's bob on 10m or 11m because apparently that's more entertaining (rolls eyes)

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    It's difficult for a touch judge to police the 10m rule when referees are so loosey goosey with where the defensive line should be. If referees were to stick to a consistent position then they'd stand a chance - whether that's bob on 10m or 11m because apparently that's more entertaining (rolls eyes)
    You would think though that before the game the ref could say to the linemen I will stand at 11 and I don't want anyone more than a metre in front of me.

Learning All The Songs

Well quite. Now imagine if they all got together at the start of the season and said that same thing as a group, then told the clubs, and stuck to it all year. Holy moly, what do we have...? Consistency!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Well quite. Now imagine if they all got together at the start of the season and said that same thing as a group, then told the clubs, and stuck to it all year. Holy moly, what do we have...? Consistency!
    Yep, they changed the rules around interference at the play the ball and haven’t stuck to it, people continue to move off the mark and apart from Naiqama against Warrington i cannot remember seeing anyone else get done for it. Its not the rules that are the problem as such it is the loose attitude of applying them.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    My solution to the perceived problem would be to play the upcoming top 5 playoff matches without any referees, and then re- visit the OP statement.
    Why is this idiot on our site?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Why is this idiot on our site?
    Ordinarily with fans of other clubs, i would guess entertainment value, but Superturd is about as entertaining as a root canal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    My solution to the perceived problem would be to play the upcoming top 5 playoff matches without any referees, and then re- visit the OP statement.
    Were you dropped on your head as a child?

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Im starting to think that RD invented SB to make themselves appear more credible. Not that it's worked very well, just the same amount of crap but in double the posts.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Keeping the 10 mtr rule in place is for some referees paramount , look at where Hicks keeps the line then look at Thaler's line , not a lover of Thaler , but he does a great job in allowing the space for the 2nd receiver to play.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

So many supporters have suggested linesmen marking the 10 metres and I wouldn't be surprised if at the start of next season the RFL were to bring it in as a new rule that they have thought of.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    So many supporters have suggested linesmen marking the 10 metres and I wouldn't be surprised if at the start of next season the RFL were to bring it in as a new rule that they have thought of.
    And then say the fans wanted it when the linesmen get it wrong after minimal training.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    And then say the fans wanted it when the linesmen get it wrong after minimal training.
    How much training do you need to stand 10 mtrs in front of the PTB. and make sure no one in the defensive line is stood in front of you.

How much training do you need to stand 10 mtrs in front of the PTB. and make sure no one in the defensive line is stood in front of you.
    I would have thought looking helps, too

Banned

Karl Kirkpatrick is making a comeback and is on standby to ref the Grand Final.

Banned

I wouldn't have thought a great deal but when you see the amount of mistakes officials make then I'm not so sure.

Got A Season Ticket

Do most people realise that refs stand about 12m back at the PTB so they can see everything? So when people moan players are in front of the ref and offside they actually aren’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macca24 View Post
    Do most people realise that refs stand about 12m back at the PTB so they can see everything? So when people moan players are in front of the ref and offside they actually aren’t?

So how can they judge offside then? Their main task is to mark the point the defensive line must take.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macca24 View Post

Indicating ten metres The Referee should usually position himself ten metres behind and to one side of the point at which the ball is played as a guide to the team not in possession. If tackling is excessively keen or play is unnecessarily rough, the referee may forsake the ten metres position in order to be nearer the players involved in the tackle.

(Direct from RFL rule book)
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

One thing I like about the NRL coverage from the little I've watched this year, they seem pretty straight.

They were just laying into the disciplinary in the NRL for being inconsistent where as we just seem to bum everything up when it comes to the RFL, referees and disciplinary.

First step would be to get rid of the ex ref from the commentary team. He's just there to put spin on bad ref calls, what a joke that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Indicating ten metres The Referee should usually position himself ten metres behind and to one side of the point at which the ball is played as a guide to the team not in possession. If tackling is excessively keen or play is unnecessarily rough, the referee may forsake the ten metres position in order to be nearer the players involved in the tackle.

(Direct from RFL rule book)
    Yes, I think it’s a bit of a myth that refs stand 11-12 metres back. They may do now and again through error but not as a rule

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I don't think we have a decent referee. The guy refereeing last night was hopeless, he missed so many indiscretions. It was very frustrating to watch and I'm concerned teams will get away with murder in the Play Offs, especially when they try to contain our ruck speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste