Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard of referees

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Learning All The Songs

Default Standard of referees

After the last 2 weeks can anyone say there is not an issue with the standard of refereeing in Super League, Hicks was very poor last week and Childs was even worse tonight. I know people will say they need support, but they have a support network in place and they are getting worse this year. When will the RFL take notice of the system used in the NRL and implement something similar, it works there, it can work here. People are tuning out on Sky and numbers are down at the grounds, its not because the standard of players arent there.

Banned

I’ve never been one for hammering refs but the last 12 months, the standard has been winding me up.

It’s a difficult job but if I was as bad at my job as some of these are at theirs, I’d have been binned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    I’ve never been one for hammering refs but the last 12 months, the standard has been winding me up.

It’s a difficult job but if I was as bad at my job as some of these are at theirs, I’d have been binned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The problem imo is the reluctance to let refs be semi professional. We lost a lot of experienced people and have never replaced them.

This means instead of learning the trade in lower levels, anyone willing to go full time get a job in super league. In union an aspiring ref has to start at society level and earn promotions through the grades.

They also get ex players coaching them on technical issues like scrums and lineout to help them. We have the egomaniac Ganson

We have people who may know the laws but really dont know the game

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    The problem imo is the reluctance to let refs be semi professional. We lost a lot of experienced people and have never replaced them.

This means instead of learning the trade in lower levels, anyone willing to go full time get a job in super league. In union an aspiring ref has to start at society level and earn promotions through the grades.

They also get ex players coaching them on technical issues like scrums and lineout to help them. We have the egomaniac Ganson

In addition, can anybody honestly say the standard has improved since they went full time? How much money is that costing the game every year for no return?

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar

A lot of people say we need 2 refs for all matches, as they do in the NRL.

Where the hell are we supposed to get them from?
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

Noooobie

if you ask the RFL about quality of referees they will refer yo to the new team looking at the quality of officials. here you will see that they say the quality as improved over last 2 yrs and that they have accepted what the review as put to them.... one of which is the use of OPTA stats ... this confused me as can see how this improves the quality( might improve the fitness) so are the stars being looked at number of times we go tho the screen , number of time you blow for offences, cant see how star can improve right or wrong call, or long short 10 metre. or even how high a tackle as to be for it to be called high.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoofeHearted View Post
    A lot of people say we need 2 refs for all matches, as they do in the NRL.

Where the hell are we supposed to get them from?
    Take out the in goal judges, put ex refs in video ref boxes at every game, you come out +1 extra active official available from every non sky game each weekend.

In The South Stand

That is a good point,as long as the ref is fit enough to keep up with play then being pro or not doesn't matter. We need more refs and not have to use the same pool over and over. Wasn't it because of Ganson that the rule of not being able to ref your home town team got changed ?

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    That is a good point,as long as the ref is fit enough to keep up with play then being pro or not doesn't matter. We need more refs and not have to use the same pool over and over. Wasn't it because of Ganson that the rule of not being able to ref your home town team got changed ?
    Yea cos he couldn't get a final cos we were always in them.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I think we have lost our way with the Video ref. This system we have of the ref sending it up as a try or no try defeats the object. Unless it's something glaringly obvious the VR rarely goes against the on field ref.
    I think this was introduced to stop the VR deliberating for ages, the answer there maybe a 30 second stop clock on the VR.

Also the current arguement re reds not going yo VR maybe it's time to have a similar system to cricket where a team is allocated a number of reviews.

Having quickly looked back at Lomax's "try" last night which was denied for offside, a Saints player asks him to go to the VR he replies that he doesn't need it. Whether he is right or not isn't the issue but in a decision that can decide a game surely it is better to make sure.
    He had used it earlier just to decide whether it was a drop out or a tap 20

I dont think we can ever get rid of VR but we need to review the way we use it.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Childs being the prime example.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Season Ticket

Do most people realise that refs stand about 12m back at the PTB so they can see everything? So when people moan players are in front of the ref and offside they actually aren’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by macca24 View Post
    Do most people realise that refs stand about 12m back at the PTB so they can see everything? So when people moan players are in front of the ref and offside they actually aren’t?

So how can they judge offside then? Their main task is to mark the point the defensive line must take.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macca24 View Post

Indicating ten metres The Referee should usually position himself ten metres behind and to one side of the point at which the ball is played as a guide to the team not in possession. If tackling is excessively keen or play is unnecessarily rough, the referee may forsake the ten metres position in order to be nearer the players involved in the tackle.

(Direct from RFL rule book)
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

One thing I like about the NRL coverage from the little I've watched this year, they seem pretty straight.

They were just laying into the disciplinary in the NRL for being inconsistent where as we just seem to bum everything up when it comes to the RFL, referees and disciplinary.

First step would be to get rid of the ex ref from the commentary team. He's just there to put spin on bad ref calls, what a joke that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Indicating ten metres The Referee should usually position himself ten metres behind and to one side of the point at which the ball is played as a guide to the team not in possession. If tackling is excessively keen or play is unnecessarily rough, the referee may forsake the ten metres position in order to be nearer the players involved in the tackle.

(Direct from RFL rule book)
    Yes, I think it’s a bit of a myth that refs stand 11-12 metres back. They may do now and again through error but not as a rule

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I don't think we have a decent referee. The guy refereeing last night was hopeless, he missed so many indiscretions. It was very frustrating to watch and I'm concerned teams will get away with murder in the Play Offs, especially when they try to contain our ruck speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I don't think we have a decent referee. The guy refereeing last night was hopeless, he missed so many indiscretions. It was very frustrating to watch and I'm concerned teams will get away with murder in the Play Offs, especially when they try to contain our ruck speed.
    He saw most of the foul play well for both teams but there were some bewildering knock on decisions, particularly towards the end of the first half. The one where their lad smashed it clean out of Thompson’s grip and when Lomax ? passed it inside near their line and a knock on was given against us on both occasions

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I don't think we can be too hard on him. He didn't seem to know when a ball had been knocked out or knocked on, and he got a couple wrong at the PTB. But he is normally a linesman in these sort of games, and we need these guys tom step up. Maybe a couple of wrong calls in a game like that is the price for bringing them through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Yes, I think it’s a bit of a myth that refs stand 11-12 metres back. They may do now and again through error but not as a rule
    Its mostly Hicks, Thaler and Child who go back 11-12 metres but thats only if they are in the right place and have enough time. We are probably the best for line speed and that why opposition fans say we are off side at every play the ball. Its all the messing about between tackle complete and playing the ball which is a total mess.

Last night Amor was pinged for moving off the mark but in reality he wasn't allowed to play the ball at all. For me when the refs are organising the "10 metres" they miss too much whats going on with interference and sometimes just see a dropped ball, we need 2 refs otherwise this will continue on and on.

At the risk of repeating this we could do a lot worse than learn from union.

It would take at least 5-10 years but their development starts a grass roots level and they have to earn promotions, not get the job because they're the only ones willing to take the wage.

There is no way any of our officials would be top referees in Union or the NRL. Officiating standards have dropped so far Tim Roby was told he had to start his development all over again after emigrating from the UK

Also watching the international game yesterday it was really interesting to hear the touch judges in constant communication with the ref. They were monitoring the off sides and infringments on the refs blind side and it had a great effect on speeding up the game.

Banned

It would take at least 5-10 years but their development starts a grass roots level and they have to earn promotions, not get the job because they're the only ones willing to take the wage.

Also watching the international game yesterday it was really interesting to hear the touch judges in constant communication with the ref. They were monitoring the off sides and infringments on the refs blind side and it had a great effect on speeding up the game.

Should also imagine the management of match officials in RU is run much more professionally. Not like a boys club like Steve Ganson and his draw full of tissot watches and his mob currying for favours and a trip to Australia.

Learning All The Songs

I think if you have been involved supporting games in the fifties ans sixties you will have seen far far worse refereee's and that includes Alex Murphy's mate 'Sargent Major Eric Clay'.
    The biggest problem now is that since the Sky involvement every major decision is picked over piece by piece. As soon as the ref makes a mistake he is undermined by the camera. Some authority is lost and eventually you get something like the debacle which occurred at Catalan vs Warrington when players totally got away with running rough shed over the ref. Maybe SKY instead of having a dig at the Chairman show a little bit of responsibility themselves

Got A Season Ticket

Well said roberto80

Upside
    Non Members

There is no way any of our officials would be top referees in Union or the NRL. Officiating standards have dropped so far Tim Roby was told he had to start his development all over again after emigrating from the UK

I agree, union is far better. But to get better people at the top, or more people to chose from we need more at the bottom.
    There's a huge issue with abuse at lower levels, we need to fix this to encourage more to become officials
    Abuse at the top trickles down, so all the hassle officials get from those at the top, players, fans, staff etc. Has an affect lower down, which reduces applicants which reduces quality or numbers
    It's all connected

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Should also imagine the management of match officials in RU is run much more professionally. Not like a boys club like Steve Ganson and his draw full of tissot watches and his mob currying for favours and a trip to Australia.
    It's more professional as they have more money to pay more people to have better facilities, it's also supported far better by the game, our game seems to hate refs, all justified as they made a mistake, (they also make mistakes in union) completely opposite mind set