Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Eamon McManus’ Programme Notes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Disgusted. Embarrassed. Ashamed. This isn’t St Helens. It’s not us. I’m shocked by what he’s said in this past week and to then send that to print is ridiculous.
    Give it a rest you crank, I'm glad he's had the balls to say publicly what we're all thinking, I say all because I don't count your idiotic opinion.

As for tonight, I sat pretty much on the halfway line so had a really good view of their defensive line, I can safely say they were offside probably 80% of the game, added to that some soft penalties, a lot of lying on and some decisions that I still can't work out.

I'd also like to give a special mention to the skateboard full of Cas fans that were for some reason gloating about last week, it carries a bit more weight when your team has actually won something in the past 30 years and you don't look like extras from Kes.

If we all remember, McManus was pretty supportive of Flower after he assaulted Hohaia. Was a calming voice when many, many of us wanted Flower hung out to dry, including me. Not like he's got form for lambasting the RFL. If I was chairman, I'd be having a dig every week at that joke of a governing body.

They are a disgrace, incompetent & dodgy as a month out of date pint of milk

Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar

Mcmanus is right and good on him for saying what he did. More chairman need to do the same. The RFL need to be looked at from top to bottom, not only for the referees where each game can have a varied interpretation of the rules (how many times have we seen obstruction given on a Thursday night only for it not to be given on a friday), but also the disciplinary panel giving questionable decisions on bans etc.

Something needs to change and consistency is needed. Two weeks on the run now we have had legitimate tries ruled out because the ref wont use the screen. We have gone from referees using the screen for virtually every try to being reluctant to use it, why? If this is the way forward then the screen should be scrapped. Childs last night went to the screen to check a castleford claim for a clear no try and the game had already moved forward, and yet he refused for saints lomax try stating he didnt need to he had made his decision. Rightly or wrongly his decision is final but dont start to change your scruples mid game.

We live in a society where if anyone speaks out and voices their opinion against something they believe is unfair or wrong then they are deemed a moaner or embarrassing, and its wrong. Mcmanus has pumped loads of money into the sport and has a right to question the product he is buying into. If you bought a new car or kitchen and there were issues with it how many would just accept it for the fear of being labelled embarrassing?
    Saints until i Die!!!!

One of his main criticisms is the use of the “open sewer” that is Twitter. He needs to be careful not to branded hypocritical with this as Saints and indeed all clubs openly use this “open sewer” to promote themselves and most players regularly post on it. Very emotive words from him.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    One of his main criticisms is the use of the “open sewer” that is Twitter. He needs to be careful not to branded hypocritical with this as Saints and indeed all clubs openly use this “open sewer” to promote themselves and most players regularly post on it. Very emotive words from him.
    True. But I think he refers to the basically unrestricted access to trolls to it.

All I know is that ridiculous meeting up with Fitzpatrick & then reffing Wire in the cup final, only in English RL. It's farcical

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Disgusted. Embarrassed. Ashamed. This isn’t St Helens. It’s not us. I’m shocked by what he’s said in this past week and to then send that to print is ridiculous.
    You've come out with some crap on here, but this takes the biscuit!

EM was spot on with everything he has said, and well done to him for saying it.
    The game is dying on its feet, in very large part due to the appalling mismanagement of the game by the RFL.
    The referees ARE appalling
    The disciplinary panel IS appalling
    The way in which the RFL "dealt with" the unsavoury events in Perpignan WAS appalling......etc, etc, etc

Is it any wonder spectator numbers are in decline? We have the best sport in the world being driven into the ground by a self serving, above criticism bunch of inept idiots.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Give it a rest you crank, I'm glad he's had the balls to say publicly what we're all thinking, I say all because I don't count your idiotic opinion.

As for tonight, I sat pretty much on the halfway line so had a really good view of their defensive line, I can safely say they were offside probably 80% of the game, added to that some soft penalties, a lot of lying on and some decisions that I still can't work out.

I'd also like to give a special mention to the skateboard full of Cas fans that were for some reason gloating about last week, it carries a bit more weight when your team has actually won something in the past 30 years and you don't look like extras from Kes.
    Are we all thinking that death threats are pathetic spats? That referee’s are bent? That somehow in some strange universe, after receiving death threats from a Warrington fan, he was going to be more likely to back them in a big game? I think not.

I’ve no problem with saying referee’s are poor, they are. Though the timing stinks of sour grapes and simply won’t be taken at all seriously by anyone and he and us as a club is, rightly, being ridiculed for this. Why did he need to go public with this? What good did he expect from this? Does he now think we’re likely to get the rub of the green off referee’s?

This isn’t us. We (usually) act with a bit of class and decorum. That’s gone. I maintain what I said, I’m ashamed, embarrassed and disgusted.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

How many times last night did we cross the line but once again the video ref wasn't used.

Banned

Are we all thinking that death threats are pathetic spats? That referee’s are bent? That somehow in some strange universe, after receiving death threats from a Warrington fan, he was going to be more likely to back them in a big game? I think not.

I’ve no problem with saying referee’s are poor, they are. Though the timing stinks of sour grapes and simply won’t be taken at all seriously by anyone and he and us as a club is, rightly, being ridiculed for this. Why did he need to go public with this? What good did he expect from this? Does he now think we’re likely to get the rub of the green off referee’s?

This isn’t us. We (usually) act with a bit of class and decorum. That’s gone. I maintain what I said, I’m ashamed, embarrassed and disgusted.
    It was obviously some ••••ed up idiot, if the authorities thought it to be in anyway serious he'd have been arrested. In the same way if Hicks and Warrington thought it was serious they'd have informed the authorities and not agreed to meet the clown.

He had every right to go public with his criticism, after all it affected something that he's put no little time, money and effort into. I've not always agreed with McManus and some of his decisions but I'm with him on this. I do also think we're too nice as a club.

I'd like to apologise for calling you a crank and an idiot, you're allowed your opinion and it makes boards like this pointless without.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    It was obviously some ••••ed up idiot, if the authorities thought it to be in anyway serious he'd have been arrested. In the same way if Hicks and Warrington thought it was serious they'd have informed the authorities and not agreed to meet the clown.

He had every right to go public with his criticism, after all it affected something that he's put no little time, money and effort into. I've not always agreed with McManus and some of his decisions but I'm with him on this. I do also think we're too nice as a club.

I'd like to apologise for calling you a crank and an idiot, you're allowed your opinion and it makes boards like this pointless without.
    Quite. The person was so dangerous that Hicks met up with the guy. Great. Well done. Now Robert, we can't have you refereeing the Cup final now due to this. Puts the game into disrepute.

Not a bit of common sense at the circus of the "governing body."

As WS said, self-serving individuals who find themselves in senior positions & the inner sanctum. Freemasons has more transparency than them

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Whilst I have no issue with the chairman having his say. I think the timing was way off. He's sucked all the attention from the league leaders presentation from last night.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I try not to wear Saints specs, but I have to say I think Child delivered the RFL's response tonight. We got penalised time and again for things that he allowed Cas to do repeatedly. Thompson was a clear dummy runner who didn't touch a Cas player, if anything they grabbed at him. Lomax's try was a try for me. Kids are are coached at amateur clubs to use dummy runners, yet get to SL and it's called obstruction.
    I didn't think Thompson was close enough to be classed as a dummy runner. I didn't think he had any bearing on the (no) try.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I didn't think Thompson was close enough to be classed as a dummy runner. I didn't think he had any bearing on the (no) try.
    Neither did Child until we were about to score

Firstly Bravo EM.
    I read from that statement that he is writing it as a fan, which I applaud. We are constantly critical of those involved in sport not caring etc. EM is IMO the best chairman in any sport. He is firstly a fan and always will be.
    In regard to his points. Firstly I would say I applauded Hicks for how he dealt with the death threat. But I agree with EM, why is he on twitter? Why is it allowed? If he is so desperate to be on it why not make up a name etc.
    The fact that he had this incident with Wire and what evolved was not his fault, but the RFL should have seen a possible conflict of interest however real or just perceived. It was just to soon.
    His performance IMO was influenced by the issues. I want to believe they were subconscious. If not the sports got a real issue.
    I do wonder though if it will come back to bite us. After seeing Child last night it’s hard not to think he had some sort of Refs Union agenda going. (I think I’m saying that bit with tongue in cheek). His performance albeit in a nothing game was one of the worse refereeing I’ve seen for some time.
    But back to EM.. He is going to carry some flack for this now and it will be interesting what the RFL does. But I for one am 100 % behind him.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Firstly Bravo EM.
    I read from that statement that he is writing it as a fan, which I applaud. We are constantly critical of those involved in sport not caring etc. EM is IMO the best chairman in any sport. He is firstly a fan and always will be.
    In regard to his points. Firstly I would say I applauded Hicks for how he dealt with the death threat. But I agree with EM, why is he on twitter? Why is it allowed? If he is so desperate to be on it why not make up a name etc.
    The fact that he had this incident with Wire and what evolved was not his fault, but the RFL should have seen a possible conflict of interest however real or just perceived. It was just to soon.
    His performance IMO was influenced by the issues. I want to believe they were subconscious. If not the sports got a real issue.
    I do wonder though if it will come back to bite us. After seeing Child last night it’s hard not to think he had some sort of Refs Union agenda going. (I think I’m saying that bit with tongue in cheek). His performance albeit in a nothing game was one of the worse refereeing I’ve seen for some time.
    But back to EM.. He is going to carry some flack for this now and it will be interesting what the RFL does. But I for one am 100 % behind him.
    For me the timing was bad. He could have said all this after a few weeks had passed. He is not wrong about refs being on twitter. But saying it yesterday has moved the spotlight from us as league winners to him.

Starting A Programme Collection

Firstly Bravo EM.
    I think some of the language used by the chairman was a little over emotive, he could have made the same points without resorting to insulting the integrity of both Warrington and Hiçks, was he seriously saying Hicks shouldn't have been given the cup final because he had been subject to inane death threats on Twitter, as for Childs, perf ormance I was at the ground and thought he was awful, but went home after a few pints, watched it again and apart from the Lomax try which was an absolute howler, I realised that he was right on nearly all the major decisions

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    Yeah, Hicks compromised himself by being on the receiving end of a death threat and wanting it dealt with. And because he was the victim he should have been punished by not being able to referee a final which he had duly earned. Don't talk wet.
    I cannot understand how many on here are not dealing with the real issue of referees being targeted in heinous, nasty ways. In no way, shape or form is it acceptable to receive a death threat, and in no way, shape or form is it acceptable for a referee to be punished for it.
    I also do not believe that the idiot who made the threat is representative of all Warrington fans.
    Energies should be focused, right now, on winning the GF. Nothing else. It'll soon be off season when any issues can be dealt with without distracting from performances on the pitch.
    The death threat should’ve been dealt with by the appropriate authorities. It was instead turned into a publicity stunt by the RFL and Warrington. I don’t doubt Hicks integrity and I don’t think that he went out to purposely give Warrington all the 50/50 calls. What it does do is leave the RFL open to criticism when you have controversy’s like we did last Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    For me the timing was bad. He could have said all this after a few weeks had passed. He is not wrong about refs being on twitter. But saying it yesterday has moved the spotlight from us as league winners to him.
    I get your point, but if he leaves it it’s a dead story. I think he wants the debate which I think is bigger than Hicks and the Final. It’s also about the the RFL and how they deal with conflicts of interest and their professionalism or lack of, which he eluded to in his article. He’s a clever man and he has made a calculation which we will in time find out if he was right. I do think the referees are a tight group and we could see others treating us differently from now on.
    I’m being a bit mischievous but I’m not bothered that the spotlight is off us and the league leaders shield.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Firstly Bravo EM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post

I fully agree with 49er, and i think it had to be said last night. If we leave it until later it is a forgotten issue and comes across as digging up the past. Well done Eamon. I also think JH in his after match interview, was right to allude to Lomax's disallowed try and the failure to use the VR again.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 31st August 2019 at 12:27.

Got A Season Ticket

Completely agree! it has come over as nothing but 'sour grapes' the club is much better than that! I thought the complaint to the RFL was bad enough but to stoop so low in programme notes, no not the way I would have handled it, have grace, on the day we made far too many mistakes, yes Hicks should have gone to the referee, but that does not explain the way Wire tackled so well and played the game they wanted to. I don't like the serious accusation of a Super League Referee & a Super League Club Chief Executive Officer combing in a publicity stunt, that is close to bringing the game into disrepute.

I fully accept that we all have different opinions, and I respect that but after being involved in media all my life it is simply not the way I was trained to handle situations like last weekend.
    Last edited by jaybs; 31st August 2019 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I fully agree with 49er, and i think it had to be said last night. If we leave it until later it is a forgotten issue and comes across as digging up the past. Well done Eamon. I also think JH in his after match interview, was right to allude to Lomax is disallowed try and the failure to use the VR again.
    I disagree saying it now will just mean the rfl closing ranks and defending it as an attack rather than constructive critisim.

It will not garner wider support as other chairman and clubs will not back it up.

So it comes as a pointless moan.

Say it in 2 weeks time as a series of points for improvement it has more weight.

As it is it will just be ignored, so qed pointless saying it now.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Why don't you just let him referee the game or chose who HE wants, good to see Brian Carney call him out for what he is.

Maybe he could take all the refs out on a mini bus trip and buy their beers to gain their favour?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Why don't you just let him referee the game or chose who HE wants, good to see Brian Carney call him out for what he is.

Maybe he could take all the refs out on a mini bus trip and buy their beers to gain their favour?
    Yes because sky are so supportive week in and week out with referees.

Give over sky have done more over the last 20 years to build a culture of disrespect for officials than any other individual or organisation.

Carney was being a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post

I don't recall you insulting him when he was just about the only person in the whole of Rugby League saying that Flower needed some support over the Hoiha incident, just as McManus may have been a little over emotive over a justified concern, I think that you are being insulting to a fellow rugby league supporter who has always tried to forward the welfare of Rugby League in general

Got A Replica Shirt St Christopher's Avatar

Agree. We're all disappointed with the referee's performance but sport is not an exact science. Hicks made a huge error which he will have to live with but all these bitter & twisted postings and conspiracy theories just make McManus & Saints look like bad losers and I'm NOT in 'that number'.

We lost. Well done Wolves.

Get over it and let's march on for next time.