Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eamon McManus’ Programme Notes

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I disagree saying it now will just mean the rfl closing ranks and defending it as an attack rather than constructive critisim.

It will not garner wider support as other chairman and clubs will not back it up.

So it comes as a pointless moan.

Say it in 2 weeks time as a series of points for improvement it has more weight.

As it is it will just be ignored, so qed pointless saying it now.
    I think it's just a matter of differing opinions on the timing. I wouldn't expect support from other chairman at this time, but when it happens to another club in the future, I wouldn't be surprised if this incident is quoted as an example.

second post in error

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    You've come out with some crap on here, but this takes the biscuit!

EM was spot on with everything he has said, and well done to him for saying it.
    The game is dying on its feet, in very large part due to the appalling mismanagement of the game by the RFL.
    The referees ARE appalling
    The disciplinary panel IS appalling
    The way in which the RFL "dealt with" the unsavoury events in Perpignan WAS appalling......etc, etc, etc

Is it any wonder spectator numbers are in decline? We have the best sport in the world being driven into the ground by a self serving, above criticism bunch of inept idiots.
    Hear, hear!

His comments aren’t blaming Hicks as such, they are more about the series of events leading up to the game

Say we get to the GF vs Wigan and then in the week before the game we invite the ref in for a nice chat about something from last season we want to discuss. Whilst he’s there we take him out for a nice meal, really make him feel good about himself

How does he feel about us now vs how he feels about Wigan? He’s not biased but he’s been conditioned to feel a certain way about us

Would Wigan be happy about his appointment? Say if he appeared to favour Saints in the final? How would they feel then?

No one is saying Hicks is bent, just that the whole set up is unprofessional in the extreme and the fact that he gave Warrington everything puts the the love-in in a very poor light

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    His comments aren’t blaming Hicks as such, they are more about the series of events leading up to the game

Say we get to the GF vs Wigan and then in the week before the game we invite the ref in for a nice chat about something from last season we want to discuss. Whilst he’s there we take him out for a nice meal, really make him feel good about himself

How does he feel about us now vs how he feels about Wigan? He’s not biased but he’s been conditioned to feel a certain way about us

Would Wigan be happy about his appointment? Say if he appeared to favour Saints in the final? How would they feel then?

No one is saying Hicks is bent, just that the whole set up is unprofessional in the extreme and the fact that he gave Warrington everything puts the the love-in in a very poor light
    Yes. This. One of the best posters on here this individual.

I don't care if I'm seen as chumming up. Marvellous poster

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Why don't you just let him referee the game or chose who HE wants, good to see Brian Carney call him out for what he is.

Maybe he could take all the refs out on a mini bus trip and buy their beers to gain their favour?
    Seriously Brian, •••• off you sad old muppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Are you actually a Saints fan? Do you attend matches? Last night the official was appalling. I defended Childs over the Catalans Warrington match, after which he was consigned to officiating in the Championship. However last night his decisions were abysmal. Paul Mc Shane never made an attempt to get in the defensive line all night. Childs awarded three penalties against Saints in the first twenty minutes for nothing I could see. He disallowed a try for a non obstruction! I watched it back when I got home and JH was obviously livid. "We're the nice guys and we're having to do it tough" was what he said, citing both a ball strip where Cas knocked it on but Childs gave the scrum to them, not us (GF Wires first score spring to mind ?) and of course the "obstruction" non try. Since running away with the league calls have consistently gone against us, which any but the most ardent Saints hater would agree. I get sick of the idiots that come on here and slag off the club, have you nothing better to do? I'm glad we celebrated our success last night, any fan who was there enjoyed it, but probably not the some of the po faced "expert fans" (who are actually neither) who post on here, who never actually go to a game. As for our Chairman's remarks, he cares about the game and believes in the way Saints play, attractive honest rugby. That's why we lack a "grub" like McIllorum , Connor etc, we do it the right way. McManus has invested his life in our club, and I'm grateful he has. We're head and shoulders above every other side and only the decisions of officials is tarnishing our record. He's called the officiating out for what it is, if you're embarrassed go and support another team, I'm sure your tremendous support would be much appreciated somewhere else.
    Spot on, absolute bellend.

The RFL have now issued a statement.

Strangely they have still not attempted to explain the performance of the official in question. -

No news forthcoming on the Catalan v Warrington enquiry either.

In The South Stand

First, I see that Rogues Gallery is showing his true colours as a troll and trying to wind people up on another team’s forum. Perhaps he has forgotten that Wane (being polite) used to ask questions of refs at half time.

Secondly, my view is that the club shouldn’t have gone public with this but I think that it demonstrates that Eamon McManus has real passion for the game and is a genuine supporter. Emotion and frustration have got to him just as they have got to others on this board and I understand why he has vented his frustration in the programme notes. It may be that the club has been quietly seeking guidance on refereeing policies for some time but just hasn’t got anywhere. What I know is that Eamon McManus has invested money and time in the club and is entitled to feel angry. I wish he hadn’t let his anger show but most of us can sympathise with his emotions coming to the fore.

Thirdly, the club hasn’t said it has made a formal complaint about the officials. It has asked questions. Some people on here don’t seem to understand the difference. I think we are entitled to know what the refereeing policies on big games are. If refs decide not to “strictly” enforce the offside rule at the play the ball why shouldn’t we know and take advantage?

Fourthly, my view remains that refs will always make mistakes and better systems need to be in place. The first thing I would change is the primacy of the on field decision. The referee makes a call even when he is unsighted. Where is the logic in that? Why can’t the on field ref change his mind when, by looking at the big screen, he can see he has made a mistake? Why can’t the video ref simply whisper in the on field refs ear and tell him that his decision looks wrong and should be reviewed?

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    First, I see that Rogues Gallery is showing his true colours as a troll and trying to wind people up on another team’s forum. Perhaps he has forgotten that Wane (being polite) used to ask questions of refs at half time.

Secondly, my view is that the club shouldn’t have gone public with this but I think that it demonstrates that Eamon McManus has real passion for the game and is a genuine supporter. Emotion and frustration have got to him just as they have got to others on this board and I understand why he has vented his frustration in the programme notes. It may be that the club has been quietly seeking guidance on refereeing policies for some time but just hasn’t got anywhere. What I know is that Eamon McManus has invested money and time in the club and is entitled to feel angry. I wish he hadn’t let his anger show but most of us can sympathise with his emotions coming to the fore.

Thirdly, the club hasn’t said it has made a formal complaint about the officials. It has asked questions. Some people on here don’t seem to understand the difference. I think we are entitled to know what the refereeing policies on big games are. If refs decide not to “strictly” enforce the offside rule at the play the ball why shouldn’t we know and take advantage?

Fourthly, my view remains that refs will always make mistakes and better systems need to be in place. The first thing I would change is the primacy of the on field decision. The referee makes a call even when he is unsighted. Where is the logic in that? Why can’t the on field ref change his mind when, by looking at the big screen, he can see he has made a mistake? Why can’t the video ref simply whisper in the on field refs ear and tell him that his decision looks wrong and should be reviewed?
    Because it doesn't suit Sky's agenda of making a big drama out of it all in answer to the try no try thing.

Very fair points above as well

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post

Strangely they have still not attempted to explain the performance of the official in question. -

https://www.rugby-league.com/article...gramme-article

Banned

https://www.rugby-league.com/article...gramme-article
    Gutless from the RFL but I expected nothing less. Gutless.
    I’d also suggest a grammar lesson to whichever clown penned the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Where they refer to the ITV interview, forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t think that was referred to in the programme, more so the meeting with Warrington?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Where they refer to the ITV interview, forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t think that was referred to in the programme, more so the meeting with Warrington?
    I was going to ask if there is any link to what EM has said in the programme. I don't buy them so haven't seen it.
    I'm assuming the ITV thing is RFL's excuse for the timing of the release of that news etc.

Banned

Hopefully it draws another statement from the club.

Only just seen the replay and Carney's comments - no right to condemn Eamon for having an opinion.
    EM can, and certainly has a right to say and publish his thoughts as both a supporter and a chairman- I'm sure in finding themselves on the end of such diabolical ref decisions in the last weeks, other chairman would have done exactly the same.

On the back of all the scrutiny it will be interesting to see how many calls go to the VR in todays game??
    Eddie and Stevo are true fans Just shite commentators

Eddie: “Sculthorpe wants to get on with it, Bradford counting down”.

Stevo: “Kick and chase now!”

Eddie: “This is the last play…Long…kicks it wide to Iro. Iro to Hall, Hall is trapped, back it goes to Hoppe, over the shoulder to Hall…there is Jonkers, here is Long…and Long fancies it…Long fancies it…it’s wide to West…It’s wide to West! Dwayne West! Inside to Joynt, Joynt, JOYYYYYNT! Oh! Oh! Fantastic! They’ve won it! They’ve won it!”

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

That more or less confirms my earlier post about the gut feeling that McManus has got no satisfactory response or transparency from the RFL. The cherry picking of some of the insignificant inaccuracies is just a smoke screen for the real issues that haven't bee addressed.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

I'm unified with you guys...
    I think it's sad that the 2 main teams this season have been in turmoil with media postings of vandalism, fighting, officials traits and chairman outburst of wtf.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Thinking on...
    All the said had to do with the finalists medal was to give it to a child fan or a fan with a disability. They'd have been trilled. Westwood did this with his medal.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    I will not create a new thread to discuss the following point, but will raise it here.

All this total madness and absolute embarrassment for the St Helens club can be quite simply, easily, and honestly remedied by the central character.

And we all know that is Morgan Knowles.

All he has to do is distance himself from the baying St Helens mob mentality that has infected the club, stand up like the honourable guy that he is, and just admit what we all saw to be the case off the replays, that he never got a valid touchdown, and all this will go away.

Step up Morgan, you know you can do it.
    He should have had a chat with Ryan Atkins he's the best at claiming miracles do happen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Why don't you just let him referee the game or chose who HE wants, good to see Brian Carney call him out for what he is.

Maybe he could take all the refs out on a mini bus trip and buy their beers to gain their favour?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    I will not create a new thread to discuss the following point, but will raise it here.

All this total madness and absolute embarrassment for the St Helens club can be quite simply, easily, and honestly remedied by the central character.

And we all know that is Morgan Knowles.

All he has to do is distance himself from the baying St Helens mob mentality that has infected the club, stand up like the honourable guy that he is, and just admit what we all saw to be the case off the replays, that he never got a valid touchdown, and all this will go away.

Step up Morgan, you know you can do it.
    •••• off knobhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Are you actually a Saints fan? Do you attend matches? Last night the official was appalling. I defended Childs over the Catalans Warrington match, after which he was consigned to officiating in the Championship. However last night his decisions were abysmal. Paul Mc Shane never made an attempt to get in the defensive line all night. Childs awarded three penalties against Saints in the first twenty minutes for nothing I could see. He disallowed a try for a non obstruction! I watched it back when I got home and JH was obviously livid. "We're the nice guys and we're having to do it tough" was what he said, citing both a ball strip where Cas knocked it on but Childs gave the scrum to them, not us (GF Wires first score spring to mind ?) and of course the "obstruction" non try. Since running away with the league calls have consistently gone against us, which any but the most ardent Saints hater would agree. I get sick of the idiots that come on here and slag off the club, have you nothing better to do? I'm glad we celebrated our success last night, any fan who was there enjoyed it, but probably not the some of the po faced "expert fans" (who are actually neither) who post on here, who never actually go to a game. As for our Chairman's remarks, he cares about the game and believes in the way Saints play, attractive honest rugby. That's why we lack a "grub" like McIllorum , Connor etc, we do it the right way. McManus has invested his life in our club, and I'm grateful he has. We're head and shoulders above every other side and only the decisions of officials is tarnishing our record. He's called the officiating out for what it is, if you're embarrassed go and support another team, I'm sure your tremendous support would be much appreciated somewhere else.
    The rubbish he writes it should be diez cervezas. Rest of your post is dead right. I will be there next week and wish I could have been there to see the after match award last night.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The rubbish he writes it should be diez cervezas. Rest of your post is dead right. I will be there next week and wish I could have been there to see the after match award last night.

They should put it on youtube at least, I'll send you the link if I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Yes. This. One of the best posters on here this individual.

I don't care if I'm seen as chumming up. Marvellous poster
    Thanks Ralph - as the Americans always say “greatness recognises greatness”

(That’s tongue in cheek BTW, I think all I do on here and in life is to use common sense and try to understand where people are coming from - I might not agree with them but I respect their point of view)

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Thanks Ralph - as the Americans always say “greatness recognises greatness”

(That’s tongue in cheek BTW, I think all I do on here and in life is to use common sense and try to understand where people are coming from - I might not agree with them but I respect their point of view)
    No problem.

On balance, I think we all agree that we didn't play well, Warrington did and deserved to win.

Compounded by last night, we have serious concerns over the refereeing, & the surrounding PR stunt before the cup final, involving one of the club's & the referee for said cup final.

Honestly, the mind boggles at the sheer ineptitude..

That press release looks like it’s been written by a 12 year old