Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 19 for Cas

These lads work their bums off..we are dropping too much ball making us work even harder.

Taia's cover defence tonight was top draw. He did this on several occasions.

Makinson & Grace did a lot of graft.

Our 4th & 5th tackle plays are total dross & need fixing

Scarsbrook needs to shape up.

Walmsley needs to stop making errors.

Lomax was pretty much shut down & was ineffective imo.

Game management: 4-0 up closing stages. Get the penalty kicked Danny. We ended up coughing the ball up again at the end, putting more pressure on ourselves.

I wish we had Liam Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Interested in fellow saints fans opinions here,,, should we go full strength against Huddersfield and Hull fc? Or rest players who may or may not be carrying minor knocks?
    Full strength for me. I’d like our key players to be battle hardened when the playoffs come around. I realise that means someone could get injured, but that’s rugby. They could get injured at training anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Game management: 4-0 up closing stages. Get the penalty kicked Danny. We ended up coughing the ball up again at the end, putting more pressure on ourselves.
    I thought that was the right call. 2 mins left, put the opponent in their own 20 and keep them there. Kicking the goal would have put us 6 up but we’d have had to give them the ball back. As it happened we coughed up the ball, so it went wrong, but that’s the decision I’d make in that situation every time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Full strength for me. I’d like our key players to be battle hardened when the playoffs come around. I realise that means someone could get injured, but that’s rugby. They could get injured at training anyway.
    Agreed. I might think a bit differently if we'd been ramping up performances over the last month or so but it's a bit disjointed. Whilst I think it's right that we've rested players when we have through the season, most of them have been rusty/poor the week after a rest. Our fitness has been excellent so far and aside from mental fatigue after the final, I'd back our first choice 17 to be capable of stringing together another four or five games on the trot now. We also get the first week of the playoffs off as well. Rest those with niggles but that's it for me.

Banned

If Hull win and it has an effect on where the Wire SCUM finish down the table good stuff. Huddersfield although a good away game we need a solid home win.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Our defence was absolutely superb including wamsley's chase down which was a joy to watch , and no he didn't drop it lol .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Glad I didn't go. Shocking display and if Cas had been anything like we would have been murdered. Only scored 4 points in each of the last 2 games. Getting into form just in time for the play offs.
    If we'd been anything like so would they.

Learning All The Songs

No, it wasn't a shocking display. The defence was superb. The wet conditions made handling very difficult

Starting A Programme Collection

I thought Welsby , Costello , Richards. Bentley were all poor & if Holbrook is responsible for us signing Paulo he wants shooting he is dreadful . For me our lack of size in the forwards is worrying , we only have one really big forward . To counteract this we try to play too quickly resulting in handling errors .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I thought Welsby , Costello , Richards. Bentley were all poor & if Holbrook is responsible for us signing Paulo he wants shooting he is dreadful . For me our lack of size in the forwards is worrying , we only have one really big forward . To counteract this we try to play too quickly resulting in handling errors .
    Our lack of size in the forwards hasn’t been a problem all year as we’ve blown teams away with our intensity for 80 minutes and ability to spread the ball early pulling defenders from the middle. Last 2 games our forwards have been ponderous, relying too much on Makinson to do the hard yards, and our lack of an organising half back has led to too much play down the middle. It was very easy for Cas to throw 3 or 4 players into every tackle as we attacked a 20m channel down the middle of the pitch. With no quick PTB’s we struggled for yards, Cas weren’t out on their feet like the other times we’ve played them and it allowed them to pressure our playmakers.

I don’t know how much Wembley took out of the tanks both mentally and physically but after the comments about ‘ripping in’ in training this week I was expecting more of a response. Our line speed in defence has been exceptional this year and it’s starved teams of field position against us whilst giving us a better attacking platform as well. Today it was non-existent, bar a few individual efforts, and it wasn’t good enough. It may seem odd to criticise an aspect of the defence after nilling the opposition but let any of the top 5 teams run at you like that all day and we’d be soundly beaten.

2 games left against opposition fighting tooth and nail at respective ends of the table. Good opportunities to get back to somewhere near our mental and physical best before the play offs.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Which game were you watching? Costello was superb in defence and Bentley only got 20 mins-Richards?
    Learned comment from The Don

Typically hard fought game after a draining Final, with less than a week’s turnaround after getting back from London.

I thought we dug in and played they “Finals rugby” people talk about and ground out a result whilst not at our best. We showed great mental strength imho.

It’d be easy to wilt and lose that game and in reality it meant very little, but the team got stuck in and if the other two tries weren’t disallowed the score line would have looked a little more like “another day at the office”

Cas were playing for their season, and have bee in in and around the top 5 for most of the season so it was a decent challenge and in the physical conditions plus the first game after Wembley it was never gonna be a barnstormer!!!!

Onwards and upwards, I hope the team enjoyed the presentation of the LLS, had a beer last night and look forward to the playoffs.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Which game were you watching? Costello was superb in defence and Bentley only got 20 mins-Richards?
    I thought Costello had his best game for the club last night.

On the subject of form, I just think we’ve been so disjointed over the last month or so with players missing in key positions. We need to be full strength next week and the week after, especially need Coote back and a couple of games under his belt

In The South Stand

The match last night was a tough one to watch, especially after all the champagne rugby we have seen this season but we defended well and we managed to win, both of which were important as we look to the play offs. I don't know what has happened to our collective ability to hold on to the ball though. In that regard we looked like we were still at Wembley. We do need to have a settled team back again and maybe that will help.

Just watched back the (incorrectly) disallowed try at the end. Can anyone offer any reason why Child waited until Lomax scores before giving a penalty for obstruction. He looked happy with it until he crossed the line.

Plus another bizarre non use of the video ref

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Yes I thought he was doing a good job in defence especially on the Truman kicks through the line. It was a scrambling defence affair with an enormous amount of missed tackles on first impact yet the secondary defence kept them nilled. Missed tackles Richardson 10, Ashworth 7, Costello 6, Percival 5, Roby 5. Despite all the 51 in total missed tackles Cas never looked like scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes I thought he was doing a good job in defence especially on the Truman kicks through the line. It was a scrambling defence affair with an enormous amount of missed tackles on first impact yet the secondary defence kept them nilled. Missed tackles Richardson 10, Ashworth 7, Costello 6, Percival 5, Roby 5. Despite all the 51 in total missed tackles Cas never looked like scoring.
    Some tired efforts there, especially when you see Roby on 5

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    The match last night was a tough one to watch, especially after all the champagne rugby we have seen this season but we defended well and we managed to win, both of which were important as we look to the play offs. I don't know what has happened to our collective ability to hold on to the ball though. In that regard we looked like we were still at Wembley. We do need to have a settled team back again and maybe that will help.
    Agreed it was a scruffy game but I think it was good "back to basics" performance that we needed after last week.

Hopefully it will set us up for rest of season

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Some tired efforts there, especially when you see Roby on 5
    It was a leveller wasn't it. Before kick off I though the Saints team being so much mobile, quicker and fitter than all the teams in the comp a tired Saints version would be equivalent to a rested Cas one, we were not too far off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Interested in fellow saints fans opinions here,,, should we go full strength against Huddersfield and Hull fc? Or rest players who may or may not be carrying minor knocks?
    I'd go as strong as possible without overly risking anyone.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Our defence was absolutely superb including wamsley's chase down which was a joy to watch , and no he didn't drop it lol .
    Yes fantastic defensive display against a well rested side. They spotted Lomax well so the quicker Coote is back to give us another dimension the better.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Go strong every week. Because of our position we get a week off anyway.

What we need is game time. Even last night passes were going over heads and behind players.

Ending up with Walmsley on the last.
    Players running into dead ends or back into traffic.

We need Coote back as soon as possible our pivotal players are being picked up too easily, Coote adds those unpredictable attacking shapes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Go strong every week. Because of our position we get a week off anyway.

What we need is game time. Even last night passes were going over heads and behind players.

Ending up with Walmsley on the last.
    Players running into dead ends or back into traffic.
    Yes. The last couple of years we haven't seemed to handle time off very well. Players that needed a rest should have had one by now, and we should be working on match toughness and our fluidity in passing and movement, something that has been less evident recently.

I think there’s a point at which too much time off has more disadvantages than advantages. You might prevent an injury here or there but the players lose their battle hardness and the team loses its rhythm. We need two games now where we scrap for every yard to get us ready