Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 19 for Cas

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Looking at this game and the 2 following.

I would like to see Saints possibly change their tactics and use these 3 games as dress rehearsal for knock out games.

Build up pressure slowly. Squeeze the life out the opposition and score under the sticks.

Make it boring. Its what wins trophies.

We have to have a plan B. We flapped on Saturday when the fancy stuff went to the wall.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I was thinking this too. 3 games to hone our play off approach. Treat it like it’s a wet weather game and every point matters

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Stick with Welsby, no problem. If he did choke in the playoffs he'd be in very good company
    Fair enough pal. I can live with that
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I think youÂ’re spot on with the mentality point. Who supplies the mental toughness? Does it come from the players or the coaches?

I think the only change will be Welsby to FB.
    It’s a tough one, IMO it has to come from the players for it to be genuine. For me mental toughness in rugby terms means being able to catch, pass, run tackle under pressure. As a coach you can put drills together all year round to work on it, you can train above the pressure you’ll face in a game, you can make it more difficult for the players than it would ever be in a game but the players still need to have that mentality to go out on the pitch and do it under pressure. I think part of the problem at Saints now is that there aren’t many players who have won lots of trophies, James Roby being the exception and I don’t think he’s ever been the most vocal by his own admission. Wigan recently, it doesn’t matter what form they’re in, the likes of O’Loughlin, Farrell, Leuluai, Williams and before that there was Tomkins and McIlorum as well, they know that they’re able to handle the pressure of Grand Finals and win. I do think they panicked a fair bit against Warrington at the weekend because so many of the players haven’t experienced it too often before. That would be my take anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Pretty much nails it for me. I also noted Richardson's form dipped massively when Saints started to struggle a little at the end of last year; it was as if he'd been made to look a better player by the players around him. I've also said it before and will again - he still looks like a player who has played his first match 30 odd times. Still makes really silly, basic mistakes.
    Richardson has quite a bit of work to do to displace Fages in my book.
    Yeah I agree. I think Richardson is a decent enough player but when a defence targets him and puts him under pressure, I’m not sure he’s shown he has the ability to deal with that. In my opinion he looks good when there is minimal pressure, the crowd is flat, there is loads of space but that’s a world away from a semi-final or a final. If he played tomorrow for example, I think the game would suit him and he’d do well but we don’t learn anything from that. As a bench option, possibly. On the other hand I thought Fages showed some good signs last week and created quite a few chances in a team that was knackered against a defence that had made over 100 tackles less than us. Again only my opinion though.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 29th August 2019 at 18:43.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Good run out for Welsby and Costello, I think the lads will go full on tomorrow and need to put the wire game to bed.
    Knowles said it's been intence this week which is understandable, I pity Cas!

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/08/2...sed-on-future/

I hope we get a score or 2 on the board early doors. I think there will be quite a few nerves on show tomorrow night from our boys, and a try or 2 early on will help to ease those nerves some what.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I hope we get a score or 2 on the board early doors. I think there will be quite a few nerves on show tomorrow night from our boys, and a try or 2 early on will help to ease those nerves some what.
    Hopefully the ref will check it this time if we do...

Learning All The Songs

I hope our kicking game improves from Saturday. Coote, Lomax, Fages, Roby, and Paulo’s one effort were poor at times. I thought we had Matty Smith back in our side at times.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I still feel a bit deflated after last week and I don't know how our players are going to get up for this game, most probably Cas will start quick with a much better kicking game. Hopefully after 20 mins we will start to get back in the game, Lomax needs to put his marker on this game but I imagine Cas will chance their arm of coming up the middle to drag any tired players into a bit of an arm wrestle. We do need to score early points otherwise we might still lose composure chasing the game.....again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

We will belt Castleford tonight. Not that it matters.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I still feel a bit deflated after last week and I don't know how our players are going to get up for this game, most probably Cas will start quick with a much better kicking game. Hopefully after 20 mins we will start to get back in the game, Lomax needs to put his marker on this game but I imagine Cas will chance their arm of coming up the middle to drag any tired players into a bit of an arm wrestle. We do need to score early points otherwise we might still lose composure chasing the game.....again.
    Maybe we should lose the next 3 games as it seemed to work for Wire...
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 53wharty90 View Post
    Hopefully the ref will check it this time if we do...
    What's the betting that if it does go to the screen, it's disallowed.

Learning All The Songs

Wolves losing last night means 6 league games on the trot. Yes, there were tired legs but both teams had something to play for. Tonight Cas are playing for a top 5 place and Saints are playing to restore pride, to ease the pain of last week, to appease the fans, to protect the home record and most importantly, to restore confidence and form for the play-offs. Those should be enough incentives and if it’s been as intense in training as Knowles implied, they have a lot of frustration to take out on Cas. On the other hand, last week was another mental scar to add to the existing ones.
    I think Saints will get to the GF. There was only one player with Wembley experience last week whereas there are 5 in the team who have had the experience of winning a GF. That could be the key!

Learning All The Songs

Forgot Walmsley, so that makes 6!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I make it 7, 8 if you include Swift.
    Makinson, Percival, Amor, Roby, LMS, Walmsley, Thompson
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Should be a good game tonight. Cas need to win or top 5 is almost gone and we need to get back on the horse and focus on being right for that play off game. Superb to see Wire lose last night and Salford doing superbly this season. Ian Watson if he was an Aussie he would be sought after and a clever move by him bringing Paul Rowley on board. One guy who I dont want to see is Paulo he offers less than Wilkin who he replaced. Leading the prayers at the end seems his key function.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Heard there's a couple more first choice being rested tonight from that 19. Not sure if it's been posted earlier, not read the full thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    Heard there's a couple more first choice being rested tonight from that 19. Not sure if it's been posted earlier, not read the full thread.
    No Naiqama or Fages. Walmsley off the bench I think will be a good move. We’ve struggled a little bit for go forward when Thompson and Walmsley are off at the same time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Danny Richardson drives me mental. So much talent so little application

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Danny Richardson drives me mental. So much talent so little application

Barely made a tackle so far. At least go round the legs and hold on as best you can. Like swatting off a fly every time

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I know I asked for boring ...but i didnt mean this

Took our one chance. Grace finally backed himself and ran straight!!

May not be the popular view here, but I think DR is doing ok. His kicks arent really being chased.

Just need to tidy up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Barely made a tackle so far. At least go round the legs and hold on as best you can. Like swatting off a fly every time
    Quite often because he’s the first one into the tackle. Our line speed in defence is none existent. Knowles said they’d been ‘ripping in’ in training this week, could they maybe try that in the 2nd half?

I’ve been quite enjoying it. We look tired and disjointed, but we’re getting stuck in.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Quite often because he’s the first one into the tackle. Our line speed in defence is none existent. Knowles said they’d been ‘ripping in’ in training this week, could they maybe try that in the 2nd half?
    Absolutely. Our attacking prowess this year has come off the back of smashing the opposition with great line speed, and then being in their faces 5 seconds later. This gave us quick ptb and a great platform to attack. This game they have landed on knees and elbows almost every tackle and we have been rolled on our backs for a slow ptb. Absolutely where we have lost out in past poor performances.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Fages stays at 7 for me. He was involved in everything good we did at the weekend and his contributions get massively downplayed IMO. Richardson does something good and it’s spoke about for weeks, Fages does something and it doesn’t get mentioned. Haven’t seen anything to suggest Richardson doesn’t make our problems 5 x worse so far. Fine when the game is loose, I bet he’d play well on Friday , can lose it for you when it’s tight goal kicking aside.

It’s the mentality we need to sort out, not selection for me at least.
    Fage is not a 7. He’s a stand off but Lomax is better.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Fage is not a 7. He’s a stand off but Lomax is better.
    Lomax has been poor again tonight