Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 for Cas

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/08/2...n-squad-named/

Does this say he shouldn't have picked Coote for the final?
    No it says he got a head injury in the final.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Benchar View Post
    No need for language like that in your response. I asked a simple question as I was not aware the wire fans had made it up. It was a comment made to me. Perhaps we are not all as up to date or in the know as you.
    Give over. It's literally the first sentence in the team announcement in the OP that the head injury was sustained at the weekend. How on earth could that mean 'rumours' from before that about a head clash could be true?

Maybe not this week but if Coote remains out, I'd bring Swift in on the wing and try Makinson at 1. Lomax at 6, Richardson 7. Fages on the bench.

With Lees gone though, we are a prop light & it's a problem

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Maybe not this week but if Coote remains out, I'd bring Swift in on the wing and try Makinson at 1. Lomax at 6, Richardson 7. Fages on the bench.

Yeah, missed him massively at Wembley. Is there no one in the academy who is ready to step up for at least the league games? Or do we just start Ashworth and hope he responds to the extra responsibility?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Definitely not Makinson at full back. He does not have the hands to be the important pivot position we use the full back as. Welsby has been more than a capable deputy at FB and should have first dibs with Coote out. Lomax and Fages need practice stepping up on the last plays and taking on kicking responsibilities, if they can't then we will struggle again come the next match of knockout rugby.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Definitely not Makinson at full back. He does not have the hands to be the important pivot position we use the full back as. Welsby has been more than a capable deputy at FB and should have first dibs with Coote out. Lomax and Fages need practice stepping up on the last plays and taking on kicking responsibilities, if they can't then we will struggle again come the next match of knockout rugby.
    Fair enough.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

If Coote was out long term i would bring Swift on the wing with Makinson at fullback and leave Fages and Lomax in the halves. I like the look of Welsby but if he started in the play offs and dropped a load of high balls it could break the lad.
    Holbrook spends time with the players so should know who his big game players are and best combinations.
    I would like to say ‘in Holbrook i trust’ but im not sure i do.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    If Coote was out long term i would bring Swift on the wing with Makinson at fullback and leave Fages and Lomax in the halves. I like the look of Welsby but if he started in the play offs and dropped a load of high balls it could break the lad.
    Holbrook spends time with the players so should know who his big game players are and best combinations.
    That's my concern too.

With a forward light, our pack needs to start working as a pack now. Shared graft.

We need to start belting the opppsition (legally) & then run hard down the middle. And keep doing it. But I don't know if we've got the back row to do it

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    No it says he got a head injury in the final.
    It does say that, but it's understandable if people have doubts. I don't recall coote leaving the field for a head assessment at any stage during the final as would be protocol for any concussion.

It does not mean he does not have one, but it means something went wrong somewhere.

I would worry if he misses too many more games as we need the players who are playing in the playoffs to go full pelt and build up both their confidence and combinations again.

No more rest and rotation, that was for earlier in the season.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    It does say that, but it's understandable if people have doubts. I don't recall coote leaving the field for a head assessment at any stage during the final as would be protocol for any concussion.

It does not mean he does not have one, but it means something went wrong somewhere.

I would worry if he misses too many more games as we need the players who are playing in the playoffs to go full pelt and build up both their confidence and combinations again.

No more rest and rotation, that was for earlier in the season.
    I’ve just seen a Mike Crithchley piece (from The St Helens Star) on Facebook, which says he came off feeling dizzy. It says Holbrook wanted all the returnees from injury to play the remaining games. It also suggests that Welsby will be fullback on Friday. I couldn’t copy the link but I’ll try to find it elsewhere.

PS Now managed to copy the Facebook link:

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...-switch-focus/

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Think he's saying he picked up a head injury in the final and as a consequence is being rested. Another chance for Welsby.
    If he picked up the head injury against Wire , he must have banged his head in the dressing room before kick off . He was very poor all the game . My team vs. Cas would be Welsby for Coote . The other backs same as : Forwards same as but Ashworth for Peyroux . Bench :LMS.Amor, Bentley, Costello . But no doubt JH will pick Paulo .

Banned

Couldn't really give less of a toss after Saturday. Give Johnny Wellies a game instead of that oaf Paulo.

Starting A Programme Collection

Dropping Fages (the best player against wire ) you have got to be joking . Richardson is a very good g/k end of....

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Dropping Fages (the best player against wire ) you have got to be joking . Richardson is a very good g/k end of....
    Not dropping him..using him where I believe his best position is and spelling Roby.

Richardson plays for me. The goalkicking aspect slapped us in the face Saturday.

Fages will give us some zip around the ruck. I'm not saying do this do that. I'm saying either against Cas or Hudds, try it.

We need to change how we play. I'm sorry but that's the way it is

Not dropping him..using him where I believe his best position is and spelling Roby.

Richardson plays for me. The goalkicking aspect slapped us in the face Saturday.

Fages will give us some zip around the ruck. I'm not saying do this do that. I'm saying either against Cas or Hudds, try it.

It’s such a fine balance and I can see the positives in both. Richardson - good goalkicker, a bit more flair maybe, but weak defence. Fages maybe more consistent and not a liability in defence

Standing back from it I would say that the preferred combination has got us 16 points clear in the league, it’s the mentality in big games that needs addressing more than half back combinations I think. That said, who knows what the new coach will prefer...

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Fages stays at 7 for me. He was involved in everything good we did at the weekend and his contributions get massively downplayed IMO. Richardson does something good and it’s spoke about for weeks, Fages does something and it doesn’t get mentioned. Haven’t seen anything to suggest Richardson doesn’t make our problems 5 x worse so far. Fine when the game is loose, I bet he’d play well on Friday , can lose it for you when it’s tight goal kicking aside.

It’s the mentality we need to sort out, not selection for me at least.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Stick with Welsby, no problem. If he did choke in the playoffs he'd be in very good company

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Fages stays at 7 for me. He was involved in everything good we did at the weekend and his contributions get massively downplayed IMO. Richardson does something good and it’s spoke about for weeks, Fages does something and it doesn’t get mentioned. Haven’t seen anything to suggest Richardson doesn’t make our problems 5 x worse so far. Fine when the game is loose, I bet he’d play well on Friday , can lose it for you when it’s tight goal kicking aside.

I think you’re spot on with the mentality point. Who supplies the mental toughness? Does it come from the players or the coaches?

I think the only change will be Welsby to FB.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Its not about goal kicking, it's about kicks in general play. Coote has done alot of that this season but with him missing Richardson offers that, which fages and Lomax cannot replicate to the same standard.

Our attacking kicks at Wembley were way off and you kick at the end of most sets.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    It’s such a fine balance and I can see the positives in both. Richardson - good goalkicker, a bit more flair maybe, but weak defence. Fages maybe more consistent and not a liability in defence

Standing back from it I would say that the preferred combination has got us 16 points clear in the league, it’s the mentality in big games that needs addressing more than half back combinations I think. That said, who knows what the new coach will prefer...
    You both know your onions but I agree with this. It's the mentality that needs addressing, we're a bloody good team and it's clear from this board there's a lot of people very sore over it. I can see the positives of both players, however, maybe it would be worth going 3 forwards + Richardson on the bench, that way we can change things around during the game and be covered for injuries in the backs.

If he picked up the head injury against Wire , he must have banged his head in the dressing room before kick off . He was very poor all the game . My team vs. Cas would be Welsby for Coote . The other backs same as : Forwards same as but Ashworth for Peyroux . Bench :LMS.Amor, Bentley, Costello . But no doubt JH will pick Paulo .
    That's simply not true he was having a pretty decent game up to that point were he spilled the bomb.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Thats a good point about Fages using him to energise the hooking position, Roby has only been playing a 7 out of 10 for quite a while now with injuries and lack of fitness.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post

Pretty much nails it for me. I also noted Richardson's form dipped massively when Saints started to struggle a little at the end of last year; it was as if he'd been made to look a better player by the players around him. I've also said it before and will again - he still looks like a player who has played his first match 30 odd times. Still makes really silly, basic mistakes.
    Richardson has quite a bit of work to do to displace Fages in my book.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thats a good point about Fages using him to energise the hooking position, Roby has only been playing a 7 out of 10 for quite a while now with injuries and lack of fitness.
    62 tackles at 7/10. So we can expect 86 when he is fully fit? Though, I do know what you mean and he is not getting any younger.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Looking at this game and the 2 following.

I would like to see Saints possibly change their tactics and use these 3 games as dress rehearsal for knock out games.

Build up pressure slowly. Squeeze the life out the opposition and score under the sticks.

Make it boring. Its what wins trophies.

We have to have a plan B. We flapped on Saturday when the fancy stuff went to the wall.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk