Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 143

Thread: League leaders shield

  1. #101
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    A life before mobile 'phones, cyber bullying, reality TV and satellite channels, those were the days...……………………………..
    When you could pull in nightclubs/bars without being asked 'are you on Tinder?'
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  2. #102
    In The South Stand 49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,574
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Would you scrap the £100,000 prize money? I wouldn’t.

    It’s the fans’ attitude that devalues the League Leaders Shield, nothing else.
    No would not scap the money, but just post the cheque out and bin the actual trophy. Unless we go with winning the league is the end of the season like football then the trophy bit is pointless. Winning the league gets you some cash and a preferential way to a GF that’s enough IMO.
    You might feel differently and that’s fine.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

  3. #103
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    The major point is have we been entertained both last season and this? As a long time season ticket holder and fan YES I have. Previous to this and I hate to be critical of Keiron but my season ticket was not going to be renewed and I would have perhaps not returned.

    The league leaders means we have constantly won home and away with good rugby, what more do we want?

    Lets enjoy tonight guys it really is not relevant to tonight what occurred on Saturday, however the play off game really will be.

  4. #104
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,083
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post

    The most consistent side wins the LLS.

    I think the only time you can say a team is the best side is if they win both the LLS AND the GF.




    Great point well made
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

  5. #105
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,083
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    The major point is have we been entertained both last season and this? As a long time season ticket holder and fan YES I have.
    I agree with you, first and foremost it’s about entertainment. Wigan under Wane were tremendously successful but as we all know their attendances were dropping whilst people stayed away because they weren’t being entertained. Pots are the reward and I can cope with us playing the grind for a couple of matches but would I pay to go and see it week in, week out?



    The song doesnt go

    “Oh St Helens Rugby, come bore me again..........” does it!!!!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

  6. #106
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,713
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think this could turn into a bit of a pr disaster to be honest. Imagine the howls of derision from other clubs about making a big deal out of a nothing trophy.

    I think the club should make a statement by not doing the presentation.



    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I take this back. I've enjoyed watching the post match section more than the game

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  7. #107
    Starting A Programme Collection The frenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Crank caverns
    Posts
    868
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I take this back. I've enjoyed watching the post match section more than the game

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    That was decent, not sure how it would have looked if we got beat but fair play, enjoyed that

  8. #108
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,066
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I think the end of match presentation and celebration went well and large part of the credit for that goes to the fans who stayed behind to sing their support for the players.

    Also credit to Saints for making it an informal family affair for the players and it was nice to see the Cas players stay to applaud the Saints players

  9. #109
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,039
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I think the end of match presentation and celebration went well and large part of the credit for that goes to the fans who stayed behind to sing their support for the players.

    Also credit to Saints for making it an informal family affair for the players and it was nice to see the Cas players stay to applaud the Saints players
    Agreed. It was done perfectly, including Hanley giving out the medals

  10. #110
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Agreed. It was done perfectly, including Hanley giving out the medals
    Would love Ellery back as coach. I loved the 99 season. Got an auroa about him.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  11. #111
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Good stuff Saints.

  12. #112
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on WA12RL radio.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,085
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    All went ok in the end.
    Learned comment from The Don

  13. #113
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    It's about time we stopped caring what other clubs and supporters think. The shield is a trophy and the hardest one to win of the lot as well as having a large amount of prize money with it.
    Correct, well said! There are 5 teams fighting tooth and nail week in week out and what for?? They are fighting to be crowned second best to us!

    Role on the play offs!

  14. #114
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    When you could pull in nightclubs/bars without being asked 'are you on Tinder?'
    my mate used to go to the plaza with a betting slip and pen to get birds numbers.

  15. #115
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,494
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I enjoyed the post match celebration. It was such a refreshing change to last year, which I thought was a bit of an insult to fans who turn out week in, week out to support the lads. We have played some stunning rugby league over the last two years. That deserves to be recognised and celebrated, and I thought last night that opportunity was finally available to the fans.

  16. #116
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Agreed. It was done perfectly, including Hanley giving out the medals
    I thought it was Hanley. He must spend hours polishing his head.

  17. #117
    Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    It was a much better presentation than I expected.
    I agree the family involvement and informal but celebratory nature gave a really good balance to the occasion.

    I also thought every player and chairman interviewed spoke really well. Kept saying reward for consistency, without trying to deminish the grand final.

    Having Ellery present was a nice touch and sky covered it well for once, none of the comic book putting the trophy away.

  18. #118
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St Helens , Lancashire.
    Posts
    1,255
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    The only strange thing last night was the violin music.

  19. #119
    Got A Season Ticket sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    29
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Holbrook said something last night that caught my attention.

    We are the nice guys of rugby and it goes against us - or words to that affect.

    Can we become a bit more grubby in the lead up to the finals ?

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  20. #120
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Do we think we will make it to old Trafford at the first attempt or will we need to win our 2nd game?

  21. #121
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Holbrook said something last night that caught my attention.

    We are the nice guys of rugby and it goes against us - or words to that affect.

    Can we become a bit more grubby in the lead up to the finals ?

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    If you watch the video of his post match press conference there is a whiff of ‘no more Mr Nice Guy’ about it.

  22. #122
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Holbrook said something last night that caught my attention.

    We are the nice guys of rugby and it goes against us - or words to that affect.

    Can we become a bit more grubby in the lead up to the finals ?

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    After watching the refereeing and opponents game plans in the last two game we will not win by playing "nice". The emphasis on a quick ruck and keeping the game flowing has gone. Teams will continue to exploit this and we will need to counteract it.

    Sadly that means any entertainment (other than the result) disappears. Sky will tell us that it's a high intensity arm wrestle and the reason why most of us enjoy the game diminishes.

  23. #123
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,574
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    If you watch the video of his post match press conference there is a whiff of ‘no more Mr Nice Guy’ about it.
    I think he was just exasperated Dux. Listening to the interview with Alex, it's obvious that JH has the players playing in a way they enjoy and they all seem happy with the style they use (which has been consistently successful for the last two years, until officiating turns one off matches against us). JH doesn't seem to understand why we're getting shafted by officials for "playing the right way", which was also something Eammon said in the post match with Jenna Brooks. Childs was appalling last night and anyone who was there will tell you the crowd were furious with him, something which SKY didn't pick up on at all. Anyone who thought celebrating the LLS wasn't a great idea should have been there last night, it was great!

  24. #124
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,574
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    After watching the refereeing and opponents game plans in the last two game we will not win by playing "nice". The emphasis on a quick ruck and keeping the game flowing has gone. Teams will continue to exploit this and we will need to counteract it.

    Sadly that means any entertainment (other than the result) disappears. Sky will tell us that it's a high intensity arm wrestle and the reason why most of us enjoy the game diminishes.
    Spot on. Not the way forward.

  25. #125
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I think he was just exasperated Dux. Listening to the interview with Alex, it's obvious that JH has the players playing in a way they enjoy and they all seem happy with the style they use (which has been consistently successful for the last two years, until officiating turns one off matches against us). JH doesn't seem to understand why we're getting shafted by officials for "playing the right way", which was also something Eammon said in the post match with Jenna Brooks. Childs was appalling last night and anyone who was there will tell you the crowd were furious with him, something which SKY didn't pick up on at all. Anyone who thought celebrating the LLS wasn't a great idea should have been there last night, it was great!
    Child didn’t have a good game and was escorted off by stewards, such was the feeling in the ground. But as I’ve said in another thread, I don’t think it’s helpful to us to be blaming refs for our failures in big games.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •