Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 143

Thread: League leaders shield

  1. #51
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Agree. Its the most meme worthy moment there is. We've just embarrassed ourselves at Wembley and are going to stand there and glumly accept the LLS? Cringe. I'd rather Robes just takes it off some big wig pre game and hands it straight to someone else.

    It's no doubt going to be the lowest crowd of the year too.
    What a load of tosh! Embarrassed at Wembley? Beaten by the better team on the day more like. Yes, a great disappointment, but we are league leaders, with a trophy and cheque to be presented. I for one will cheer and applaud the team for that achievement.

  2. #52
    Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    381
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    So in other words, despite us being told 'every game matters' the reality it doesn't. You couldn't script it.
    But every game doesnt matter. Hence Holbrook effectively 'throwing' 2 games at London.
    Leeds where past masters at this ,indifferent league seasons getting a place in the playoffs. Then going on to win Grand Finals.

  3. #53
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,416
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    My view is that it is one of three trophies and winning it should be celebrated.

    The attitude towards the trophy is down to conditioning. Sky will tell you that only the GF matters and that even the Challenge Cup (well done Warrington you’ve got the oldest and nicest trophy) is second rate. If fans, whether our own or from other clubs, choose to denigrate the LLS and mock anybody daring to celebrate it they are wrong and why should you take any notice of them? The GF trophy will only be around for as long as Sky have the TV rights. If someone else gets the rights there will be another trophy and another format.

    I remember quite a big LLS presentation at Wigan some years ago and Wane and their fans were obviously pleased to have won it and I don’t remember any mocking then. Anyway, you shouldn’t be bothered what the trolls on here think. Just remember it’s an achievement and deserving of recognition.

    If the Aussies choose to call it the minor premiership and play it down, who cares? The NFL also have TV rights to consider. They promote what they are told to promote. Why be a sheep (Old Cunningham reference)?

  4. #54
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St Helens , Lancashire.
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    The shield was important enough when they had a helicopter taxi ready to deliver it. As I said it becomes important when your own team wins it.

  5. #55
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,007
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    But every game doesnt matter. Hence Holbrook effectively 'throwing' 2 games at London.
    Leeds where past masters at this ,indifferent league seasons getting a place in the playoffs. Then going on to win Grand Finals.
    My point was more on the raison d’ etre for the play offs being ‘every game matters....’

  6. #56
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,429
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    What a load of tosh! Embarrassed at Wembley? Beaten by the better team on the day more like. Yes, a great disappointment, but we are league leaders, with a trophy and cheque to be presented. I for one will cheer and applaud the team for that achievement.
    Yes embarrassed. We were massive favourites and just didn't turn up once again in a major match. We haven't done in 5 years and over the last 10 have consistently let ourselves down in the big games.

    It's depressing and if anything it's worse than not being good at all. The false hope is crippling, whereas if you don't expect to win anything, you can just enjoy the good days for what they are. We've romped through this season with hardly anyone challenging us at all, then falling spectacularly short in the one game we've had that actually meant anything.

    Hopefully next season we'll have a coach with a winning mentality who will know how to approach the big games and will make us competitive in the trophy hunt, not the 'sprint really fast when everyone else is jogging' trophy.

    I won't be celebrating the LLS and I'm pretty sure the players will be dying internally if they have to receive it on the pitch with a proper presentation. It shouldn't be an embarassment, but it is, there is no getting away from that. The players and the club will be mocked by the rest of the sport's fans. Again, it's not right but it is unfortunately that way.

  7. #57
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St Helens , Lancashire.
    Posts
    1,254
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Yes embarrassed. We were massive favourites and just didn't turn up once again in a major match. We haven't done in 5 years and over the last 10 have consistently let ourselves down in the big games.

    It's depressing and if anything it's worse than not being good at all. The false hope is crippling, whereas if you don't expect to win anything, you can just enjoy the good days for what they are. We've romped through this season with hardly anyone challenging us at all, then falling spectacularly short in the one game we've had that actually meant anything.

    Hopefully next season we'll have a coach with a winning mentality who will know how to approach the big games and will make us competitive in the trophy hunt, not the 'sprint really fast when everyone else is jogging' trophy.

    I won't be celebrating the LLS and I'm pretty sure the players will be dying internally if they have to receive it on the pitch with a proper presentation. It shouldn't be an embarassment, but it is, there is no getting away from that. The players and the club will be mocked by the rest of the sport's fans. Again, it's not right but it is unfortunately that way.
    Stop worrying about what other clubs fans think.

  8. #58
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Stop worrying about what other clubs fans think.
    Exactly. Which is why I would get a pint of Gold & a Ginsters from the kiosk, stick it on the plate & have a post match scran on the shiny plate
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  9. #59
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    What a load of tosh! Embarrassed at Wembley? Beaten by the better team on the day more like. Yes, a great disappointment, but we are league leaders, with a trophy and cheque to be presented. I for one will cheer and applaud the team for that achievement.
    I agree. We weren't embarrassed. But deservedly beaten by a Wire side who were pretty much faultless.

    Hurts a lot, it really does
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  10. #60
    Learning All The Songs barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashton in Makerfield
    Posts
    1,078
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Yes embarrassed. We were massive favourites and just didn't turn up once again in a major match. We haven't done in 5 years and over the last 10 have consistently let ourselves down in the big games.

    It's depressing and if anything it's worse than not being good at all. The false hope is crippling, whereas if you don't expect to win anything, you can just enjoy the good days for what they are. We've romped through this season with hardly anyone challenging us at all, then falling spectacularly short in the one game we've had that actually meant anything.

    Hopefully next season we'll have a coach with a winning mentality who will know how to approach the big games and will make us competitive in the trophy hunt, not the 'sprint really fast when everyone else is jogging' trophy.

    I won't be celebrating the LLS and I'm pretty sure the players will be dying internally if they have to receive it on the pitch with a proper presentation. It shouldn't be an embarassment, but it is, there is no getting away from that. The players and the club will be mocked by the rest of the sport's fans. Again, it's not right but it is unfortunately that way.
    Pretty much this. The LLS shield presentation should be before the game to Roby on his own (or maybe with Holbrook/Mcmanus) pitchside before anyone enters the stadium then paraded if need be at the Huddersfield game maybe. A full presentation after the game would be embarrasing considering what happened on Saturday.

    Some fans may be thrilled that we have finished top, if it was up to me there wouldn't be a playoff series and FPTP would be Champions but that isn't the case.

    Its a Grand Final win or nothing from here.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  11. #61
    Learning All The Songs barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashton in Makerfield
    Posts
    1,078
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Stop worrying about what other clubs fans think.
    I don't need other clubs fans to tell me that a full presentation of the least important piece of Silverware on Friday when we should have had an open top bus celebration for a CCF win on Sunday just gone would be embarrasing. Its about the GF from here, not the LLS.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  12. #62
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    3,952
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    The club can’t win with this one. Celebrate and they will be laughed at, accept but be emotionless and then will be criticised - like last year. Through no fault of their own. The difference with last season is that on Friday it will be live on Sky so they should set the tone/mood.

  13. #63
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,050
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    The shield was important enough when they had a helicopter taxi ready to deliver it. As I said it becomes important when your own team wins it.



    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    The club can’t win with this one. Celebrate and they will be laughed at, accept but be emotionless and then will be criticised - like last year. Through no fault of their own. The difference with last season is that on Friday it will be live on Sky so they should set the tone/mood.

    When Sky tried to jazz up the LLS presentation (helicopter thing) they were criticized so much. I’m not saying it was brilliant but they tried, and were derided, it was a talking point and about as non-whippet and flat cap as possible. Someone on here likened it to “WWE” and that’s not fair either.

    I hope they try to make something of it on Sky on Friday but it’s lose-lose for them and us as other people have said.

    Keep it how it is and watch it die, or try to do something different and listen to the people say they preferred it the old way...... typical Rugby League mentality.

    Without Sky and Superleague there’d be no new stadiums and we’d be watching a semi-pro game of merges teams.

    Cup half full or half empty?
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

  14. #64
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    682
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't know when the actual presentation will be, but I would like to see it before the game. I think if that happened and the players came out and gave a round of applause to the fans, that would get the fans behind them for the game. I Can't imagine a presentation after the game if we lose.
    That's a good idea if it has to be done on Friday.

  15. #65
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    under the laughing tree
    Posts
    952
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    £100,000 for finishing first is a nice bonus.

  16. #66
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,023
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    It won’t be a wild celebration but nor should it be an embarrassing situation. What any other fans think is completely unimportant

  17. #67
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    As a Saints fan I am proud we have again finished top of the super league for the second consecutive season. Surely the RFL should raise the profile for this award which should be the main prize for the most consistent team of the year. The play offs are an extension to the super league season the main prize has to be the winners over the 29 rounds.

  18. #68
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    As a Saints fan I am proud we have again finished top of the super league for the second consecutive season. Surely the RFL should raise the profile for this award which should be the main prize for the most consistent team of the year. The play offs are an extension to the super league season the main prize has to be the winners over the 29 rounds.
    But it isn't

    It isn't created to be fair but to ensure we have more teams fighting for positions, therefore more interest and a big grand final

    So whilst most people agree the most co sistent team should be winners it isn't how our competition is run

    I don't believe it is for the RFL to make more of it I think it's the teams who win its job to make more of it

    I feel in modern life people always look to blame others, it's the RFL fault we won't celebrate etc. Make a lot of it as we deserve to and don't worry about the rfl or any other team, it's ours we deserve it we celebrate it, that's how the profile is raised, not through handing out more cash

  19. #69
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,985
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quite why anyone would be embarrassed by their team collecting a trophy for being top of the league is anyone’s guess.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #70
    Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,587
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    It should have been presented ASAP after winning. Waiting for the home game was presumption. If we won last game away at the end of the season, there would be no home game to present it at.

    Should have been done before the CC at Leeds, celebrating success when it happens. Leeds even gave us a guard of honour ffs, that was the right time.

  21. #71
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,542
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I will be at the game on Friday and recording the Sky broadcast , I will then be able to notice how many times the Sky people say things like getting back to the important stuff after the Challenge Cup because they spend plenty of time denigrating it .

  22. #72
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,060
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    The club can’t win with this one. Celebrate and they will be laughed at, accept but be emotionless and then will be criticised - like last year. Through no fault of their own. The difference with last season is that on Friday it will be live on Sky so they should set the tone/mood.
    I agree it's unfortunate timing.
    I like the suggestion that it should be just presented to Riby at the beginning of the game but I assume because of Sky they're going to want a formal presentation at the end.
    It's going to look a bit daft if we lose :-(

    Nothing much we can do about it, we cant win either way

  23. #73
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    It should have been presented ASAP after winning. Waiting for the home game was presumption. If we won last game away at the end of the season, there would be no home game to present it at.

    Should have been done before the CC at Leeds, celebrating success when it happens. Leeds even gave us a guard of honour ffs, that was the right time.
    But it was the choice of Leeds players on the day so little the club could do about it

  24. #74
    Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,587
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    But it was the choice of Leeds players on the day so little the club could do about it
    My point was that was the right time, not 3 weeks after actually winning it.

  25. #75
    WARNING! WOLF FAN!

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I will be at the game on Friday and recording the Sky broadcast , I will then be able to notice how many times the Sky people say things like getting back to the important stuff after the Challenge Cup because they spend plenty of time denigrating it .
    BskyB stopped all that when they got shared rights off the BBC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •