Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: League leaders shield

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Agree. Its the most meme worthy moment there is. We've just embarrassed ourselves at Wembley and are going to stand there and glumly accept the LLS? Cringe. I'd rather Robes just takes it off some big wig pre game and hands it straight to someone else.

It's no doubt going to be the lowest crowd of the year too.
    What a load of tosh! Embarrassed at Wembley? Beaten by the better team on the day more like. Yes, a great disappointment, but we are league leaders, with a trophy and cheque to be presented. I for one will cheer and applaud the team for that achievement.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    So in other words, despite us being told 'every game matters' the reality it doesn't. You couldn't script it.
    But every game doesnt matter. Hence Holbrook effectively 'throwing' 2 games at London.
    Leeds where past masters at this ,indifferent league seasons getting a place in the playoffs. Then going on to win Grand Finals.

In The South Stand

My view is that it is one of three trophies and winning it should be celebrated.

The attitude towards the trophy is down to conditioning. Sky will tell you that only the GF matters and that even the Challenge Cup (well done Warrington you’ve got the oldest and nicest trophy) is second rate. If fans, whether our own or from other clubs, choose to denigrate the LLS and mock anybody daring to celebrate it they are wrong and why should you take any notice of them? The GF trophy will only be around for as long as Sky have the TV rights. If someone else gets the rights there will be another trophy and another format.

I remember quite a big LLS presentation at Wigan some years ago and Wane and their fans were obviously pleased to have won it and I don’t remember any mocking then. Anyway, you shouldn’t be bothered what the trolls on here think. Just remember it’s an achievement and deserving of recognition.

If the Aussies choose to call it the minor premiership and play it down, who cares? The NFL also have TV rights to consider. They promote what they are told to promote. Why be a sheep (Old Cunningham reference)?

Learning All The Songs

The shield was important enough when they had a helicopter taxi ready to deliver it. As I said it becomes important when your own team wins it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    But every game doesnt matter. Hence Holbrook effectively 'throwing' 2 games at London.
    Leeds where past masters at this ,indifferent league seasons getting a place in the playoffs. Then going on to win Grand Finals.
    My point was more on the raison d’ etre for the play offs being ‘every game matters....’

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    What a load of tosh! Embarrassed at Wembley? Beaten by the better team on the day more like. Yes, a great disappointment, but we are league leaders, with a trophy and cheque to be presented. I for one will cheer and applaud the team for that achievement.
    Yes embarrassed. We were massive favourites and just didn't turn up once again in a major match. We haven't done in 5 years and over the last 10 have consistently let ourselves down in the big games.

It's depressing and if anything it's worse than not being good at all. The false hope is crippling, whereas if you don't expect to win anything, you can just enjoy the good days for what they are. We've romped through this season with hardly anyone challenging us at all, then falling spectacularly short in the one game we've had that actually meant anything.

Hopefully next season we'll have a coach with a winning mentality who will know how to approach the big games and will make us competitive in the trophy hunt, not the 'sprint really fast when everyone else is jogging' trophy.

I won't be celebrating the LLS and I'm pretty sure the players will be dying internally if they have to receive it on the pitch with a proper presentation. It shouldn't be an embarassment, but it is, there is no getting away from that. The players and the club will be mocked by the rest of the sport's fans. Again, it's not right but it is unfortunately that way.

Learning All The Songs

Yes embarrassed. We were massive favourites and just didn't turn up once again in a major match. We haven't done in 5 years and over the last 10 have consistently let ourselves down in the big games.

It's depressing and if anything it's worse than not being good at all. The false hope is crippling, whereas if you don't expect to win anything, you can just enjoy the good days for what they are. We've romped through this season with hardly anyone challenging us at all, then falling spectacularly short in the one game we've had that actually meant anything.

Hopefully next season we'll have a coach with a winning mentality who will know how to approach the big games and will make us competitive in the trophy hunt, not the 'sprint really fast when everyone else is jogging' trophy.

I won't be celebrating the LLS and I'm pretty sure the players will be dying internally if they have to receive it on the pitch with a proper presentation. It shouldn't be an embarassment, but it is, there is no getting away from that. The players and the club will be mocked by the rest of the sport's fans. Again, it's not right but it is unfortunately that way.
    Stop worrying about what other clubs fans think.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Exactly. Which is why I would get a pint of Gold & a Ginsters from the kiosk, stick it on the plate & have a post match scran on the shiny plate

I agree. We weren't embarrassed. But deservedly beaten by a Wire side who were pretty much faultless.

Hurts a lot, it really does

Pretty much this. The LLS shield presentation should be before the game to Roby on his own (or maybe with Holbrook/Mcmanus) pitchside before anyone enters the stadium then paraded if need be at the Huddersfield game maybe. A full presentation after the game would be embarrasing considering what happened on Saturday.

Some fans may be thrilled that we have finished top, if it was up to me there wouldn't be a playoff series and FPTP would be Champions but that isn't the case.

Its a Grand Final win or nothing from here.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I don't need other clubs fans to tell me that a full presentation of the least important piece of Silverware on Friday when we should have had an open top bus celebration for a CCF win on Sunday just gone would be embarrasing. Its about the GF from here, not the LLS.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The club can’t win with this one. Celebrate and they will be laughed at, accept but be emotionless and then will be criticised - like last year. Through no fault of their own. The difference with last season is that on Friday it will be live on Sky so they should set the tone/mood.

The shield was important enough when they had a helicopter taxi ready to deliver it. As I said it becomes important when your own team wins it.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    The club can’t win with this one. Celebrate and they will be laughed at, accept but be emotionless and then will be criticised - like last year. Through no fault of their own. The difference with last season is that on Friday it will be live on Sky so they should set the tone/mood.

When Sky tried to jazz up the LLS presentation (helicopter thing) they were criticized so much. I’m not saying it was brilliant but they tried, and were derided, it was a talking point and about as non-whippet and flat cap as possible. Someone on here likened it to “WWE” and that’s not fair either.

I hope they try to make something of it on Sky on Friday but it’s lose-lose for them and us as other people have said.

Keep it how it is and watch it die, or try to do something different and listen to the people say they preferred it the old way...... typical Rugby League mentality.

Without Sky and Superleague there’d be no new stadiums and we’d be watching a semi-pro game of merges teams.

Cup half full or half empty?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't know when the actual presentation will be, but I would like to see it before the game. I think if that happened and the players came out and gave a round of applause to the fans, that would get the fans behind them for the game. I Can't imagine a presentation after the game if we lose.
    That's a good idea if it has to be done on Friday.

Learning All The Songs

£100,000 for finishing first is a nice bonus.

It won’t be a wild celebration but nor should it be an embarrassing situation. What any other fans think is completely unimportant

Noooobie

As a Saints fan I am proud we have again finished top of the super league for the second consecutive season. Surely the RFL should raise the profile for this award which should be the main prize for the most consistent team of the year. The play offs are an extension to the super league season the main prize has to be the winners over the 29 rounds.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    As a Saints fan I am proud we have again finished top of the super league for the second consecutive season. Surely the RFL should raise the profile for this award which should be the main prize for the most consistent team of the year. The play offs are an extension to the super league season the main prize has to be the winners over the 29 rounds.
    But it isn't

It isn't created to be fair but to ensure we have more teams fighting for positions, therefore more interest and a big grand final

So whilst most people agree the most co sistent team should be winners it isn't how our competition is run

I don't believe it is for the RFL to make more of it I think it's the teams who win its job to make more of it

I feel in modern life people always look to blame others, it's the RFL fault we won't celebrate etc. Make a lot of it as we deserve to and don't worry about the rfl or any other team, it's ours we deserve it we celebrate it, that's how the profile is raised, not through handing out more cash

In The South Stand

Quite why anyone would be embarrassed by their team collecting a trophy for being top of the league is anyone’s guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

It should have been presented ASAP after winning. Waiting for the home game was presumption. If we won last game away at the end of the season, there would be no home game to present it at.

Should have been done before the CC at Leeds, celebrating success when it happens. Leeds even gave us a guard of honour ffs, that was the right time.

In The South Stand

I will be at the game on Friday and recording the Sky broadcast , I will then be able to notice how many times the Sky people say things like getting back to the important stuff after the Challenge Cup because they spend plenty of time denigrating it .

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I agree it's unfortunate timing.
    I like the suggestion that it should be just presented to Riby at the beginning of the game but I assume because of Sky they're going to want a formal presentation at the end.
    It's going to look a bit daft if we lose :-(

Nothing much we can do about it, we cant win either way

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    It should have been presented ASAP after winning. Waiting for the home game was presumption. If we won last game away at the end of the season, there would be no home game to present it at.

Should have been done before the CC at Leeds, celebrating success when it happens. Leeds even gave us a guard of honour ffs, that was the right time.
    But it was the choice of Leeds players on the day so little the club could do about it

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

But it was the choice of Leeds players on the day so little the club could do about it
    My point was that was the right time, not 3 weeks after actually winning it.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I will be at the game on Friday and recording the Sky broadcast , I will then be able to notice how many times the Sky people say things like getting back to the important stuff after the Challenge Cup because they spend plenty of time denigrating it .
    BskyB stopped all that when they got shared rights off the BBC.