Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: League leaders shield

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting A Programme Collection

Default League leaders shield

Hopefully by now we’ve all calmed down a bit and the pain has eased slightly. There’s no better way to get over Saturdays disappointment than to get to the game on Friday and get behind the lads. It may not mean that much in the grand scheme of things but lifting the league leaders shield is still an achievement and deserves our recognition. Even Sky will show it this year unlike last season when it was a bit of a joke.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I think this could turn into a bit of a pr disaster to be honest. Imagine the howls of derision from other clubs about making a big deal out of a nothing trophy.

I think the club should make a statement by not doing the presentation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think this could turn into a bit of a pr disaster to be honest. Imagine the howls of derision from other clubs about making a big deal out of a nothing trophy.

I think the club should make a statement by not doing the presentation. We haven't won anything yet

Agree. Its the most meme worthy moment there is. We've just embarrassed ourselves at Wembley and are going to stand there and glumly accept the LLS? Cringe. I'd rather Robes just takes it off some big wig pre game and hands it straight to someone else.

It's no doubt going to be the lowest crowd of the year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Agree. Its the most meme worthy moment there is. We've just embarrassed ourselves at Wembley and are going to stand there and glumly accept the LLS? Cringe. I'd rather Robes just takes it off some big wig pre game and hands it straight to someone else.

It's no doubt going to be the lowest crowd of the year too.
    What a load of tosh! Embarrassed at Wembley? Beaten by the better team on the day more like. Yes, a great disappointment, but we are league leaders, with a trophy and cheque to be presented. I for one will cheer and applaud the team for that achievement.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    What a load of tosh! Embarrassed at Wembley? Beaten by the better team on the day more like. Yes, a great disappointment, but we are league leaders, with a trophy and cheque to be presented. I for one will cheer and applaud the team for that achievement.
    Yes embarrassed. We were massive favourites and just didn't turn up once again in a major match. We haven't done in 5 years and over the last 10 have consistently let ourselves down in the big games.

It's depressing and if anything it's worse than not being good at all. The false hope is crippling, whereas if you don't expect to win anything, you can just enjoy the good days for what they are. We've romped through this season with hardly anyone challenging us at all, then falling spectacularly short in the one game we've had that actually meant anything.

Hopefully next season we'll have a coach with a winning mentality who will know how to approach the big games and will make us competitive in the trophy hunt, not the 'sprint really fast when everyone else is jogging' trophy.

I won't be celebrating the LLS and I'm pretty sure the players will be dying internally if they have to receive it on the pitch with a proper presentation. It shouldn't be an embarassment, but it is, there is no getting away from that. The players and the club will be mocked by the rest of the sport's fans. Again, it's not right but it is unfortunately that way.

Learning All The Songs

Yes embarrassed. We were massive favourites and just didn't turn up once again in a major match. We haven't done in 5 years and over the last 10 have consistently let ourselves down in the big games.

It's depressing and if anything it's worse than not being good at all. The false hope is crippling, whereas if you don't expect to win anything, you can just enjoy the good days for what they are. We've romped through this season with hardly anyone challenging us at all, then falling spectacularly short in the one game we've had that actually meant anything.

Hopefully next season we'll have a coach with a winning mentality who will know how to approach the big games and will make us competitive in the trophy hunt, not the 'sprint really fast when everyone else is jogging' trophy.

I won't be celebrating the LLS and I'm pretty sure the players will be dying internally if they have to receive it on the pitch with a proper presentation. It shouldn't be an embarassment, but it is, there is no getting away from that. The players and the club will be mocked by the rest of the sport's fans. Again, it's not right but it is unfortunately that way.
    Stop worrying about what other clubs fans think.

Pretty much this. The LLS shield presentation should be before the game to Roby on his own (or maybe with Holbrook/Mcmanus) pitchside before anyone enters the stadium then paraded if need be at the Huddersfield game maybe. A full presentation after the game would be embarrasing considering what happened on Saturday.

Some fans may be thrilled that we have finished top, if it was up to me there wouldn't be a playoff series and FPTP would be Champions but that isn't the case.

Its a Grand Final win or nothing from here.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    I agree. We weren't embarrassed. But deservedly beaten by a Wire side who were pretty much faultless.

Hurts a lot, it really does

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

I think the club should make a statement by not doing the presentation. We haven't won anything yet

It's about time we stopped caring what other clubs and supporters think. The shield is a trophy and the hardest one to win of the lot as well as having a large amount of prize money with it.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I've been thinking about this since Wembley and it's going to be interesting to see what happens with both players and fans.

From the players point of view I don't think they can win either way. If they celebrate it they'll have the •••• taken, if they do the same as last year they'll have the •••• taken. Think saddened has a better outcome, be nice to see robes frisbee it into the crowd.

From the fans pov probably best to just get behind the lads anything else just looks fickle and doesn't do any good for the players.

In The South Stand

Shouldn’t be anything more than a handshake pre-game and we move on. It’s really not a big deal at all and means absolutely nothing.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Just present it at the Huddersfield game on the 6th September. People will have calmed down by then and won't be thinking about Wembley

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I've been thinking about this since Wembley and it's going to be interesting to see what happens with both players and fans.

From the players point of view I don't think they can win either way. If they celebrate it they'll have the •••• taken, if they do the same as last year they'll have the •••• taken. Think saddened has a better outcome, be nice to see robes frisbee it into the crowd.

From the fans pov probably best to just get behind the lads anything else just looks fickle and doesn't do any good for the players.
    Now you can see the dilemma and why sky and the rfl initially wanted the system like the NRL as nothing more than a qualifier concept but given the name (minor premiership( starting grid...like a F1 pole positioning.
    Saints were vocal drivers in trying to get greater recognition for finishing at qualifiers position 1 into something prestigious.
    Now you have it...you don't want it?

Should go back to exactly as it was...a nothing...job not done, but you're in pole position.
    It saves all this mither and embarrassing situations.

It's never going to shed the hubcap status.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Now you can see the dilemma and why sky and the rfl initially wanted the system like the NRL as nothing more than a qualifier concept but given the name (minor premiership( starting grid...like a F1 pole positioning.
    Saints were vocal drivers in trying to get greater recognition for finishing at qualifiers position 1 into something prestigious.
    Now you have it...you don't want it?

Should go back to exactly as it was...a nothing...job not done, but you're in pole position.
    It saves all this mither and embarrassing situations.

It's never going to shed the hubcap status.
    But that's not happened has it were still stuck with the problem where you're dammed if you do dammed if you dont. It would need to be pushed as the better or equal trophy. If you're going to do it change the name for starters and the trophy from a dinner plate. Rename the grand final.....

In reality nothing has been done. Either scrap it or big it up, at the moment it's just a joke between fans

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Not true

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    It's about time we stopped caring what other clubs and supporters think. The shield is a trophy and the hardest one to win of the lot as well as having a large amount of prize money with it.
    I'd disagree...you have to play ,27 game's is it?, to collect 'the sheild'....while you have to play at least 29 and possibly 31?, to win a grand final trophy.

Learning All The Songs

I'd disagree...you have to play ,27 game's is it?, to collect 'the sheild'....while you have to play at least 29 and possibly 31?, to win a grand final trophy.
    Interesting choice of words there RD, you are trying to be a "cute hoor". You "play" 27 games to possibly win the LLS, you can play to lose half of those and have a negative points difference yet still "collect" the GF.
    You could potentially go the full season unbeaten without a try scored against you whilst averaging 5-10 trys per match scored for and not even have 2 points or drop goal registered against you, but lose one match and you are not deemed a champion side.
    Worse still a cynical coach that does not like your club geography or ethos can send a team out in a semi to break your players.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Totally agree, we've been head and shoulders above most teams in the regular season and the LLS is in recognition of that. The CC and GF is another issue, if we don't celebrate it then we devalue it in a sulking manner. Not bothered what other clubs think there are only 3 pieces of "silverware" we've got one of them and we are gathering the troops to get a second.

Got A Season Ticket

your 16pts clear and played some great rugby i would be celebrating that despite what happened at Wembley
    your also playing cas who i cant remember last time won a league game at saints so normal service should be resumed Friday

Just look at the last 3 seasons.

Cas mocked for celebrating

Saints mocked for playing it down

This year beat at Wembley the week before, once again can't win whatever they do

Then we've got the broadcaster flying it round in a helicopter and wrapping it back up and walking off with it like WWE. Come on it's a joke of a trophy

No . Nothing to celebrate . Hub cap once again. Stuff it..

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Its by no means hard to win.
    Teams take their foot off the gas in august / september. Even we did it twice at London. Its a nothing trinket in a nothing competetion until the playoffs start.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    Its by no means hard to win.
    Teams take their foot if the gas in august / september. Even we did twice at London. Its a nothing trinket in a nithing competetion until the playoffs start.
    So in other words, despite us being told 'every game matters' the reality it doesn't. You couldn't script it.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    So in other words, despite us being told 'every game matters' the reality it doesn't. You couldn't script it.
    But every game doesnt matter. Hence Holbrook effectively 'throwing' 2 games at London.
    Leeds where past masters at this ,indifferent league seasons getting a place in the playoffs. Then going on to win Grand Finals.

Correct, well said! There are 5 teams fighting tooth and nail week in week out and what for?? They are fighting to be crowned second best to us!

Role on the play offs!