Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: League leaders shield

Starting A Programme Collection

Default League leaders shield

Hopefully by now we’ve all calmed down a bit and the pain has eased slightly. There’s no better way to get over Saturdays disappointment than to get to the game on Friday and get behind the lads. It may not mean that much in the grand scheme of things but lifting the league leaders shield is still an achievement and deserves our recognition. Even Sky will show it this year unlike last season when it was a bit of a joke.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I think this could turn into a bit of a pr disaster to be honest. Imagine the howls of derision from other clubs about making a big deal out of a nothing trophy.

I think the club should make a statement by not doing the presentation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think this could turn into a bit of a pr disaster to be honest. Imagine the howls of derision from other clubs about making a big deal out of a nothing trophy.

I think the club should make a statement by not doing the presentation. We haven't won anything yet

Agree. Its the most meme worthy moment there is. We've just embarrassed ourselves at Wembley and are going to stand there and glumly accept the LLS? Cringe. I'd rather Robes just takes it off some big wig pre game and hands it straight to someone else.

It's no doubt going to be the lowest crowd of the year too.

Learning All The Songs

I think the club should make a statement by not doing the presentation. We haven't won anything yet

It's about time we stopped caring what other clubs and supporters think. The shield is a trophy and the hardest one to win of the lot as well as having a large amount of prize money with it.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I've been thinking about this since Wembley and it's going to be interesting to see what happens with both players and fans.

From the players point of view I don't think they can win either way. If they celebrate it they'll have the •••• taken, if they do the same as last year they'll have the •••• taken. Think saddened has a better outcome, be nice to see robes frisbee it into the crowd.

From the fans pov probably best to just get behind the lads anything else just looks fickle and doesn't do any good for the players.

In The South Stand

Shouldn’t be anything more than a handshake pre-game and we move on. It’s really not a big deal at all and means absolutely nothing.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Just present it at the Huddersfield game on the 6th September. People will have calmed down by then and won't be thinking about Wembley

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    It's about time we stopped caring what other clubs and supporters think. The shield is a trophy and the hardest one to win of the lot as well as having a large amount of prize money with it.
    I'd disagree...you have to play ,27 game's is it?, to collect 'the sheild'....while you have to play at least 29 and possibly 31?, to win a grand final trophy.

Learning All The Songs

So the players and supporters have wasted their time and money week in week out if it means nothing. No reason for us to have a club anymore is there.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Totally agree, we've been head and shoulders above most teams in the regular season and the LLS is in recognition of that. The CC and GF is another issue, if we don't celebrate it then we devalue it in a sulking manner. Not bothered what other clubs think there are only 3 pieces of "silverware" we've got one of them and we are gathering the troops to get a second.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I've been thinking about this since Wembley and it's going to be interesting to see what happens with both players and fans.

From the players point of view I don't think they can win either way. If they celebrate it they'll have the •••• taken, if they do the same as last year they'll have the •••• taken. Think saddened has a better outcome, be nice to see robes frisbee it into the crowd.

From the fans pov probably best to just get behind the lads anything else just looks fickle and doesn't do any good for the players.
    Now you can see the dilemma and why sky and the rfl initially wanted the system like the NRL as nothing more than a qualifier concept but given the name (minor premiership( starting grid...like a F1 pole positioning.
    Saints were vocal drivers in trying to get greater recognition for finishing at qualifiers position 1 into something prestigious.
    Now you have it...you don't want it?

Should go back to exactly as it was...a nothing...job not done, but you're in pole position.
    It saves all this mither and embarrassing situations.

It's never going to shed the hubcap status.

Got A Season Ticket

your 16pts clear and played some great rugby i would be celebrating that despite what happened at Wembley
    your also playing cas who i cant remember last time won a league game at saints so normal service should be resumed Friday

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Now you can see the dilemma and why sky and the rfl initially wanted the system like the NRL as nothing more than a qualifier concept but given the name (minor premiership( starting grid...like a F1 pole positioning.
    Saints were vocal drivers in trying to get greater recognition for finishing at qualifiers position 1 into something prestigious.
    Now you have it...you don't want it?

Should go back to exactly as it was...a nothing...job not done, but you're in pole position.
    It saves all this mither and embarrassing situations.

It's never going to shed the hubcap status.
    But that's not happened has it were still stuck with the problem where you're dammed if you do dammed if you dont. It would need to be pushed as the better or equal trophy. If you're going to do it change the name for starters and the trophy from a dinner plate. Rename the grand final.....

In reality nothing has been done. Either scrap it or big it up, at the moment it's just a joke between fans

Just look at the last 3 seasons.

Cas mocked for celebrating

Saints mocked for playing it down

This year beat at Wembley the week before, once again can't win whatever they do

Then we've got the broadcaster flying it round in a helicopter and wrapping it back up and walking off with it like WWE. Come on it's a joke of a trophy

Not true

Learning All The Songs

But that's not happened has it were still stuck with the problem where you're dammed if you do dammed if you dont. It would need to be pushed as the better or equal trophy. If you're going to do it change the name for starters and the trophy from a dinner plate. Rename the grand final.....

In reality nothing has been done. Either scrap it or big it up, at the moment it's just a joke between fans
    It's only a joke among fans until their club wins it.

Got A Season Ticket

Just look at the last 3 seasons.

Cas mocked for celebrating

Saints mocked for playing it down

This year beat at Wembley the week before, once again can't win whatever they do
    only in rugby league can you have a debate how you should celebrate winning a trophy where youve finished top of the league!

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

It's only a joke among fans until their club wins it.
    Here's the thing...you never won it..it was always a minor premier recognition until the call for a change...led primarily by McManus.
    I think he's scored an own goal.
    Drop the idea and go back to a nothing but being in a pole position or drop the who concept and have 14 teams home and away....champions.

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    only in rugby league can you have a debate how you should celebrate winning a trophy where youve finished top of the league!
    Crazy isn't it, theres other subtle effects it has as well. Take Warrington their coasting in the league (that means nothing) their poor performances made their fans write them off and none of them bothered going to Wembley to the point where the club were giving tickets away.

Here's the thing...you never won it..it was always a minor premier recognition until the call for a change...led primarily by McManus.
    I think he's scored an own goal.
    Drop the idea and go back to a nothing but being in a pole position or drop the who concept and have 14 teams home and away....champions.
    A Warrington fan discussing winning the league

Just so you know It was Bradford bulls that led the movement around the LLS. You wouldn't know because you were getting ••••ted every week at the time

Banned

A Warrington fan discussing winning the league

Just so you know It was Bradford bulls that led the movement around the LLS. You wouldn't know because you were getting ••••ted every week at the time

Lol, brilliant.

Unfortunately the LLS will always be largely meaningless until we get rid of the play-offs and GF. There's only one team that's classed as champions each year and that's the one that wins at Old Trafford

I don't like the format myself but all the 'it's the hardest trophy to win', 'they are the true champions' is a complete load of BS as no club is actually trying to win the thing - one just wins it by default, usually the best team that has no chance of winning the GF

If it was straight home and away with no extra games, no play offs, no GF then it becomes something worth winning - that's what we should go back to

In The South Stand

Going to see Saints week in and week out and seeing us being the best team in the league by a country mile DOES demand recognition. The LLS is in reality far tougher to win than the Challenge Cup. It isn't treated as important therefore it's not important. Who cares what SKY think or what other fans think? Naturally they belittle the achievement because most clubs never manage it. I for one will be there to applaud a season of entertaining rugby and hard work from the boys. I'm not letting Robert Hicks spoil another day for the club!

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    If it was straight home and away with no extra games, no play offs, no GF then it becomes something worth winning - that's what we should go back to
    I think that would asking a lot given how physical and fast the game is now. With the reduction in interchanges and the shot clock as well, to ask the players to play absolute must win games every week where they’d inevitably play 50% fit most weeks would be tough. So many injuries in the game now as well and more and more seem to be happen each season, couple of injuries and the season would be over.

I’ve always liked the idea that 1 goes straight through and then 2 v 3 play for a place in the GF.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I was fortunate or unfortunate enough to win a Minor Premiership in Australia at RU. We won the league by a margin of about 6 points.When it came to the GF none of us had played in one before, the other team had won it for 3 years. We were a team playing expansive rugby, they had a huge pack and played it tight. Though we had beaten them in the league the nerves really got to us and we got thrashed in the final. I don't think we bottled it, we were just inexperienced in big games and some younger ones panicked a bit.
    With regard to the Minor premiership, I don't even remember us getting the award. I only remember the celebration the club had planned for the day after the GF. Which, though many people turned up was more like a wake.
    To win the LLS is an achievement and I hope they savour it, rather than be like me and not even remember it.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 27th August 2019 at 14:09.