Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video ref.....moaning about Saturday

Learning All The Songs

Default Video ref.....moaning about Saturday

Watching the cricket on Sunday got me thinking of how we use the video ref. We complain when we get a dozen referrals during a game to check obvious things. Why don’t we just follow cricket. The ref makes a call in real time and you get two reviews per half.

Taking Saturday, The ref gave no try for Tommy’s dive, if that was a live decision then Tommy would have turned down a review since he knew it he dropped it.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Watching the cricket on Sunday got me thinking of how we use the video ref. We complain when we get a dozen referrals during a game to check obvious things. Why don’t we just follow cricket. The ref makes a call in real time and you get two reviews per half.

Taking Saturday, The ref gave no try for Tommy’s dive, if that was a live decision then Tommy would have turned down a review since he knew it he dropped it.
    I agree, and suggested a similar thing a couple of years ago. Each side starts with, say, two opportunities to appeal any on-field decision and have it referred to the video ref. The VR makes an independent judgement and, if this vindicates the side making the appeal, the on-field decision is overturned and their number of remaining appeals remains intact. This could possibly eliminate the need for referees to routinely refer things to the VR (they just make their on-field decision and let the players closest to the action decide if it is worth disputing).

This would have completely avoided the problem with the Knowles try on Saturday. It would also encourage officials who are constantly getting things wrong to improve. The only question would be the range of things allowed to be disputed (eg groundings, forward passes, foot in touch, obstruction, offside during a kick, offside at the PTB etc etc)

Upside
    Non Members

Encourage officials to improve? So they don't want to improve at the moment?

I do like the idea though as it places responsibility on the team rather than the official
    Last edited by RedVee Admin; 27th August 2019 at 05:59. Reason: Misplaced quotation

Learning All The Songs

I see it reducing the obstruction calls, at the moment you get defenders ‘deliberately ‘ contacting the the dummy runner knowing that it will get referred, if you had a call, then only if you were genuinely obstructed would you refer it. This would work both ways in the the dummy runner will know it they ran through or held the defender up.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I've said this a few times, what's more is it takes the pressure off the referees, and puts it onto the captain/players.

For example those who didn't see the cricket, Australia needed one wicket to win, and the Aussie Captain reviewed a ball that was never out in a million years and lost the review. Five minutes later the umpire missed a blatant LBW and had no reviews left, so the batter stayed in..

Point is a lot (not all) of the blame and criticism was put onto the Aussies, and off the referee.

The only issue is with Cricket is there are a lot less factors and technology helps massively. 99% of the time the review is correct because it's not subjective down to all the technologies used

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I mentioned this many years ago and called it the coach's call, the only problem is that it has to be done very quickly to avoid the shift in momentum when a team gets the benefit or handicap of an incorrect official decision. Although in some eyes it might be seen to undermine the referee it will improve them to be more consistent with parity, the only problem is that you would need a video ref for every game and the RFL don't have enough officials to do that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I don't normally like to dish the officials it is a difficult job.But when you have the technology and it's a big game you have to be an idiot not to check.We were not good enough on the day but the poor refereeing decisions on the day swung the momentum Warrington's way. Having said that we made too many mistakes and started playing catch up too early.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I don't normally like to dish the officials it is a difficult job.But when you have the technology and it's a big game you have to be an idiot not to check.We were not good enough on the day but the poor refereeing decisions on the day swung the momentum Warrington's way. Having said that we made too many mistakes and started playing catch up too early.
    I thought the head and feed to Warrington with the so called Grace "knock on" was just as pivotal it created a 12 pts error count a pretty big factor in the game overall.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Would it be too controversial to automatically go to the video replay for games like the CC final, or would that just cause more problems that it solves?

I've asked this before, but does anyone know if the refs are wired up differently or have different communication channels when on BBC rather than SKY?
    Seems to me that, had that match been a televised SL one, we would have gone to the screen.

Starting A Programme Collection

How much do S/L referees get paid . I seem to remember reading they get £25,000 per year . If they don't have another job this does not seem very much .

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    How much do S/L referees get paid . I seem to remember reading they get £25,000 per year . If they don't have another job this does not seem very much .
    I guess that depends on how many hours they do over the year?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post

Thought they were full pro which means they cannot get another job, I guess they are on more than 25k but I doubt much more

We need more refs

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I think that they have been full time for quite a few years now, and 25k isn't much if it is your only income.

It may already happen, but with regard to the ref's time, would they benefit from spending time training with different clubs each week to gain a better insight into the players techniques and thoughts? I know some teams might not want refs to know their methods, but it may give refs a better understanding of where players (and fans) are coming from with their views.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I think the VR should be a bit more like the VR in Union.

Rather than waiting for the on field ref to ask any questions, the VR can come in and say "you might want to look at this before restarting play"

Or "we have a potential *insert incident* in back play. When the ball is out of play, we can review"

Then have the ref tell the VR what he/she is able to see on the screen.

"I thought the ball went straight out, but looking at the screen, it seems that defender A touched it, so its a drop out , not a 20 metre restart. Thank you"

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Thought they were full pro which means they cannot get another job, I guess they are on more than 25k but I doubt much more

We need more refs
    The ref on Saturday is a solicitor or lawyer nuff said

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by RonSaintWiggin View Post
    The ref on Saturday is a solicitor or lawyer nuff said

But is he working as one?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    But is he working as one?
    My understanding is that he works for the RFL as some sort of compliance officer

In The South Stand

Nope, I’m not a fan of being able to pick your calls.

I’d rather, like Football, decisions are looked at in the background regardless of any calls or non-calls by a referee and any incidents that need to be referred upstairs can be by a simple message in a referee’s ear.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    My understanding is that he works for the RFL as some sort of compliance officer
    Oh ok, so maybe only has one contract and income for both duties? I think all others only ref

I searched on Google and found this under 'Rugby League referee jobs' in the Q&A section 'How much do SL refs get paid'.
    Unfortunately there's no link to say where it came from!...

Referees in the top-flight of England can earn as much as £70,000 per year. They are paid a basic yearly retainer of between £38,500 and £42,000 based on experience, and then are paid £1,150 per match on top of that. Championship referees receive the same basic yearly retainer but are only paid £600 per game.25 Feb 2019

https://www.google.com/search?q=rugb...hrome&ie=UTF-8

In The South Stand

Would it be too controversial to automatically go to the video replay for games like the CC final, or would that just cause more problems that it solves?

I've asked this before, but does anyone know if the refs are wired up differently or have different communication channels when on BBC rather than SKY?
    Seems to me that, had that match been a televised SL one, we would have gone to the screen.
    the only logical conclusion to video refereeing is that every incident in the in goal area is checked automatically and the on field referee has no input into it.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Learning All The Songs

Each club can play a joker card as well like they used to do on it’s a knockout.

Upside
    Non Members

I searched on Google and found this under 'Rugby League referee jobs' in the Q&A section 'How much do SL refs get paid'.
    Unfortunately there's no link to say where it came from!...

Referees in the top-flight of England can earn as much as £70,000 per year. They are paid a basic yearly retainer of between £38,500 and £42,000 based on experience, and then are paid £1,150 per match on top of that. Championship referees receive the same basic yearly retainer but are only paid £600 per game.25 Feb 2019

https://www.google.com/search?q=rugb...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Decent wage, I hope we can encourage more refs but I doubt it, the abuse they get st youth level is a disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Nope, I’m not a fan of being able to pick your calls.

I’d rather, like Football, decisions are looked at in the background regardless of any calls or non-calls by a referee and any incidents that need to be referred upstairs can be by a simple message in a referee’s ear.
    I don’t think that’s a bad shout. The play leading up to the try could be checked from PTB through to grounding

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I think the VR should be a bit more like the VR in Union.

Rather than waiting for the on field ref to ask any questions, the VR can come in and say "you might want to look at this before restarting play"

Or "we have a potential *insert incident* in back play. When the ball is out of play, we can review"

Then have the ref tell the VR what he/she is able to see on the screen.

"I thought the ball went straight out, but looking at the screen, it seems that defender A touched it, so its a drop out , not a 20 metre restart. Thank you"

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Agreed mate, I like it. Only issue might be that League is continuous so you could be half way through the next set before the VR has made a judgment on it.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V