Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's take our minds off Wembley...

Noooobie

Default Let's take our minds off Wembley...

So, any ideas on who we would like to see wearing the redvee next season. One player that sticks out to me is Darnell McIntosh from Huddersfield. I think that the lad could have a big future at the right club and he can cover several positions and as Swift is off he would offer a solid backup should either Grace or Makinson suffer injuries.

We definitely need to sort out the forwards, I think our second row is average and needs an upgrade.

Learning All The Songs

Wouldn’t want McIntosh but I agree on the forwards. The likes of Peyroux, Taia, Ashworth, LMS, Amor and so on might be fine in regular season games but are they the sort of players you want in the big, crunch games? Not for me, can throw Paulo in there as well, although I wouldn’t want him playing in any games.

I don’t see any changes to the squad happening for next year so I imagine next season we’ll have the exact same squad. For 2021 I’d like to see 2 or 3 of those names above moved on and replaced. And I think we need a scrum half, Richardson isn’t good enough and Fages isn’t a scrum half. We might well be forced to replace Thompson by that point as well, so next year is going to a big one, recruitment wise.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I’ve watched Huddersfield/McIntosh quite a few times this year and every time he’s been awful, definitely wouldn’t want him at Saints.

Saints don’t necessarily need to bring anyone in next season for me however we need to be considering our long term hooker and second row options with Roby and Taia coming to the end of their careers. Also need to look at props with Amor, LMS nearing the end with the added possibility of Thompson trying the NRL.

In The South Stand

Amor, Ashworth, Fages, Paulo and Taia to be binned. Unfortunately, we’ll only lose one of these deadbeats.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Amor, Ashworth, Fages, Paulo and Taia to be binned. Unfortunately, we’ll only lose one of these deadbeats.
    Paulo, I have never been a fan no matter what people say about his experience ball handling etc. Amor has recently been Ok as a bench player,Ashworth need to either use his size or slim down and become a second row. Why you would want to get rid of Fages I don't know, even if Richardson regains the 7 spot, Fages woukld provide cover at 7 and 9. Tania does seem to be coming to the end.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Paulo, I have never been a fan no matter what people say about his experience ball handling etc. Amor has recently been Ok as a bench player,Ashworth need to either use his size or slim down and become a second row. Why you would want to get rid of Fages I don't know, even if Richardson regains the 7 spot, Fages woukld provide cover at 7 and 9. Tania does seem to be coming to the end.
    Paulo is no good. It winds me up when folk use the old ‘he trains well, brings experience, settles the team, does things off the ball that nobody sees’ .

bulls***.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Fages is not a big game player in the slightest. We need a proper 7 to get us around that pitch.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Paulo, I have never been a fan no matter what people say about his experience ball handling etc. Amor has recently been Ok as a bench player,Ashworth need to either use his size or slim down and become a second row. Why you would want to get rid of FagesI don't know, even if Richardson regains the 7 spot, Fages woukld provide cover at 7 and 9. Tania does seem to be coming to the end.
    Thought he showed some positive signs yesterday given he was playing 7 in a team that made 18 errors. Scored a nice try, should have had an assist for Knowles with the kick through, was involved in the build up to the try Makinson nearly scored in the corner and his cover tackle on Currie was as good as you’ll see. Decent effort I thought. We just made too many mistakes on Saturday and we didn’t build any pressure.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Replica Shirt

These players you are writing off have smashed all that has come before them this season including Warrington three times. I have watched the game back and there were many errors and mistakes, however these players have done fantastic this season. Yes one or two of them are coming to the end of their time at Saints. The biggest reason we lost on Saturday was the referee. He had an appalling game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Fages is not a big game player in the slightest. We need a proper 7 to get us around that pitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Thought he showed some positive signs yesterday given he was playing 7 in a team that made 18 errors. Scored a nice try, should have had an assist for Knowles with the kick through, was involved in the build up to the try Makinson nearly scored in the corner and his cover tackle on Currie was as good as you’ll see. Decent effort I thought. We just made too many mistakes on Saturday and we didn’t build any pressure.
    Need to address this to Dos Cervezas

In The South Stand

Yet he was the only player that looked like doing something,his short kicks and his willingness to take on the line make so much room for other players.What we do need is a nasty forward to keep other teams honest. If we can trade Paulo for one then all the better.

In The South Stand

Need to address this to Dos Cervezas
    Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Yet he was the only player that looked like doing something,his short kicks and his willingness to take on the line make so much room for other players.What we do need is a nasty forward to keep other teams honest. If we can trade Paulo for one then all the better.
    Led us to many a win in a big game. Oh, wait...

In The South Stand

Led us to many a win in a big game. Oh, wait...
    Can you not say the same about Lomax ? or practically any of the players,how can you single one out for an awful team display ? Just out of curiosity who would you pick of the magic scrum half tree ? He was left out of last years big playoff game and that was at our cost.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by winno 67 View Post
    These players you are writing off have smashed all that has come before them this season including Warrington three times. I have watched the game back and there were many errors and mistakes, however these players have done fantastic this season. Yes one or two of them are coming to the end of their time at Saints. The biggest reason we lost on Saturday was the referee. He had an appalling game.
    Exactly right mate. Teams can play badly and win games. I await Hicks' and the RFL reasons why he did not do what happens on a regular basis, week in and week out in SL and go to the VR. It's too easy to say he's stupid, arrogant, etc, if he is, then he is in every game, yet he goes to the VR every week, so what's the difference in a Cup Final? He's not there to create a spectacle, he's there to enforce fair play. Which he didn't. From the "no try" to the Wire scrum resulting in their try from a Grace "knock on" which didn't happen, to letting Wire encroach on the ten in most sets and upon Coote when he took the conversion. He probably would still've missed, but that's not the point, ENFORCE THE RULES! Disallowing the Wire try was so transparent in its attempt to "level things up" it was laughable.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

What absolute garbage! Amor is a decent rotational prop in s salary capped sport. Ashworth, a very promising young player, need to decide whether he's a prop or second rower. Fages, always tackles well above his weight and as creative as anyone we've got. Taia, good solid second row, coming to the end of his career but very rarely lets us down.
    Paulo - I'll give you that one
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs

Apart from Paulo who is crap if we'd have won the cup this thread would not be here? were 16 pts clear have a super chance of getting to the Grand Final so lets not be to harsh on our players?

Banned

How do you know? He's probably only played about 2 big games max. I think there are other people with more questions against them than Fages.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Apart from Paulo who is crap if we'd have won the cup this thread would not be here? were 16 pts clear have a super chance of getting to the Grand Final so lets not be to harsh on our players?
    I'd like us to do a swap deal or something like in the manner Leeds have this year. The way they moved on Lolehea was the right move for a team trying to win stuff. I'd gladly settle for a grinder in return because at the moment this would be an upgrade on Paulo who offers nothing and who should be nowhere near the 17 come the play offs.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    What absolute garbage! Amor is a decent rotational prop in s salary capped sport. Ashworth, a very promising young player, need to decide whether he's a prop or second rower. Fages, always tackles well above his weight and as creative as anyone we've got. Taia, good solid second row, coming to the end of his career but very rarely lets us down.
    Paulo - I'll give you that one
    He’s 24 and our worst prop by a big distance. Either play him at second row or don’t play him at all because he’s not a good enough prop and offers no aggression.

Learning All The Songs

I thought Amor was our best player on Saturday along with Mako.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    How do you know? He's probably only played about 2 big games max. I think there are other people with more questions against them than Fages.
    Especially considering Fages was probably our best player on Saturday. He was certainly more influential than Lomax and Coote, who have been key players for us this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Paulo is no good. It winds me up when folk use the old ‘he trains well, brings experience, settles the team, does things off the ball that nobody sees’ .

bulls***.
    This, it's just hyperbole for the fact with signed another thief. He's ••••ing rubbish.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'd like us to do a swap deal or something like in the manner Leeds have this year. The way they moved on Lolehea was the right move for a team trying to win stuff. I'd gladly settle for a grinder in return because at the moment this would be an upgrade on Paulo who offers nothing and who should be nowhere near the 17 come the play offs.
    Unfortunately I don’t think anyone would be daft enough to take him especially as he’s 31 and probably on good money for a loose forward who plays badly for half an hour every week. Signing him at all was bad enough but whoever gave him three years needs sacking, awful decision, awful player.

I'm not one for singling out people for criticism but Amor was definitely not our best player Saturday, in fact he was in a group of forwards that didn't do enough work for me. Our backs made the majority of our metres

This group
    Peyroux 6 carries
    Knowles 4 carries
    LMS 8 carries
    Amor 6 carries
    Ashworth 2 carries
    Paulo 5 carries

Knowles has an excuse as he's a tackling machine but the likes of Peyroux (who I've grown to like) should have been doing a lot more work

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I'm not one for singling out people for criticism but Amor was definitely not our best player Saturday, in fact he was in a group of forwards that didn't do enough work for me. Our backs made the majority of our metres

This group
    Peyroux 6 carries
    Knowles 4 carries
    LMS 8 carries
    Amor 6 carries
    Ashworth 2 carries
    Paulo 5 carries

Knowles has an excuse as he's a tackling machine but the likes of Peyroux (who I've grown to like) should have been doing a lot more work
    Those are shocking stats only LMS acceptable there, the problem I suspect is that if it was a short 10 metres then our edge forwards like Peyroux didn't get that much ball.