Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmsley Concern

Learning All The Songs

Default Walmsley Concern

Not Blaming Alex one bit for the debacle yesterday but I've serious concern over his fitness, Yes it was hot yesterday but he was knackered after 10 minutes his injury was his eye so why so unfit?

Banned

He looked like he'd been doing his fitness work in Greg's.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

It's a very special athelete that could return after a few weeks off, in one of the biggest games for years, in the couldron of Wembley, in 30+ degrees heat and under the pump from the first few minutes chasing the game with the weight of expectation. I think a few of us feared beforehand that the returnees might struggle for match fitness and be rusty. There's no substitute for playing at intensity week in, week out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    It's a very special athelete that could return after a few weeks off, in one of the biggest games for years, in the couldron of Wembley, in 30+ degrees heat and under the pump from the first few minutes chasing the game with the weight of expectation. I think a few of us feared beforehand that the returnees might struggle for match fitness and be rusty. There's no substitute for playing at intensity week in, week out.
    This. Super post

Learning All The Songs

What's the excuse for the rest of the team though.

Learning All The Songs

I wouldn’t have concerns over Walmsley, after the first 20 minutes they were all blowing out their arses and never recovered. Thankfully it won’t be 30 degree heat at Old Trafford or any other game this season.

Turn back the clock to last year and everyone was claiming that the squad was "burnt out" and criticism was that he should have spelled players.
    Difficult to see how Holbrook can win that one.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Turn back the clock to last year and everyone was claiming that the squad was "burnt out" and criticism was that he should have spelled players.
    I think you're right. I'm wondering now if it's a bit of a red herring. I'm a firm believer in momentum and confidence counting for a hell of a lot in sport. I think we'd have lost yesterday with either a spelling or non-spelling run up. As has been posted on another thread, it was a perfect storm against us yesterday, started by the Knowles no try debacle, which made their perfect game plan all the more effective and led to us unsuccessfully trying to be patient and outplay them but getting more and more frustrated and frantic, resulting in such a high error count that made it impossible to win. When Theo scored, we had a glimpse of a hope to gain the momentum but Coote missing the conversion visibly sank everyone's hearts on and off the field and that was that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    I think you're right. I'm wondering now if it's a bit of a red herring. I'm a firm believer in momentum and confidence counting for a hell of a lot in sport. I think we'd have lost yesterday with either a spelling or non-spelling run up. As has been posted on another thread, it was a perfect storm against us yesterday, started by the Knowles no try debacle, which made their perfect game plan all the more effective and led to us unsuccessfully trying to be patient and outplay them but getting more and more frustrated and frantic, resulting in such a high error count that made it impossible to win. When Theo scored, we had a glimpse of a hope to gain the momentum but Coote missing the conversion visibly sank everyone's hearts on and off the field and that was that.
    Good post and agree 100% with everything you say.
    One thing for sure if we had gone 6-0 up sure it would have played out quite differently. Bizarre thing is he had no need to make such a crucial call without the assistance of the VR.
    I also agree the missed conversation was vital. Gave them something to hang in there for.

Learning All The Songs

But he seems to have gone from one extreme to the other Div. Surely he should be able to find some middle ground? Everyone knows that a Wembly game is energy sapping because its nearly always a hot sweltering day & wider pitch so to risk match fitness on a couple of players is a gamble but on four players is just daft on JH part. At least 2 of the players should have played against Leeds & possibly all four in hindsight. If any would have broken down & missed the final then so be it but the odds on all four hitting the ground running after so many weeks out was asking way too much. That's almost a third of the starting 13 not match fit & that is one hell of a mountain to climb even before a ball has been kicked.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    I wouldn’t have concerns over Walmsley, after the first 20 minutes they were all blowing out their arses and never recovered. Thankfully it won’t be 30 degree heat at Old Trafford or any other game this season.
    Warrington seemed to cope well enough.

Hindsight says a few players may have benefited from half a game in their legs last week.
    If we had won nobody would be questioning any of this and Holbrook would be the new Messiah. Instead he's now just a very naughty boy. ��

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    Warrington seemed to cope well enough.
    I thought they looked knackered as well, they just dealt with it far better. Us being terrible helped, mind.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Good post and agree 100% with everything you say.
    One thing for sure if we had gone 6-0 up sure it would have played out quite differently. Bizarre thing is he had no need to make such a crucial call without the assistance of the VR.
    I also agree the missed conversation was vital. Gave them something to hang in there for.
    Hicks has been quick enough to jump on interviews in the last couple of months, maybe he will come out and explain.

I'm really not sure he was the right guy for the job yesterday given all that's gone on in the last month or so. Since when do referees do interviews in the lead up to a cup final...given it was to do with one of the clubs in the cup final too! All seemed a bit odd to me

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Let’s be honest, Walmsley was poor, Thompson looked like he hadn’t played in weeks and IMO, looks a little weighed down by the NRL links/rumours, a bit like George Williams. He needs to just come out and say he’s going then we fill his spot with Matty Lees and bring in another behind that. Coote looked off the pace and his timing was all over the shop.

I frankly don’t rate Zeb Taia, surely we can find a back rower to protect the half on the left but also has the ability to keep hold of the ball in contact.

Knowles had had one or two games too many out and I’m frankly not sure what Joseph Paulo brings to the team, he’s a solid 3/10 at best. Bentley deserved a spot over him any day of the week.

Amor played his way into the team but looked like he’d peaked.

Our forwards were outplayed simple as that. And Holbrook got the balance wrong, give them a few games but then ramp up for the two lead in so the timing is there. Not give the key players 2/3/4 weeks rest before such a massive game.

If they weren’t fit to play last week, shouldn’t have been picked yesterday. Simple as that for me.

It must be tough for Walmsley being such a big guy in that heat, but you’re playing in that week in week out down under and they are gonna expect longer than 10 min spells

Noooobie

Totally agree with last post Hicks was on a hiding to nothing yesterday by the dire and ourselves due to the death threats that have been widely reported last week he should have been switched to video ref for me as much as I dislike Thaler I think our first try would definitely have gone upstairs with him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Hicks has been quick enough to jump on interviews in the last couple of months, maybe he will come out and explain.

I'm really not sure he was the right guy for the job yesterday given all that's gone on in the last month or so. Since when do referees do interviews in the lead up to a cup final...given it was to do with one of the clubs in the cup final too! All seemed a bit odd to me
    Seems odd to me too, I don't go in for conspiracy theories but he's done himself no favours and neither has the RFL (unsurprisingly).

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Let’s be honest, Walmsley was poor, Thompson looked like he hadn’t played in weeks and IMO, looks a little weighed down by the NRL links/rumours, a bit like George Williams. He needs to just come out and say he’s going then we fill his spot with Matty Lees and bring in another behind that. Coote looked off the pace and his timing was all over the shop.

I frankly don’t rate Zeb Taia, surely we can find a back rower to protect the half on the left but also has the ability to keep hold of the ball in contact.

Knowles had had one or two games too many out and I’m frankly not sure what Joseph Paulo brings to the team, he’s a solid 3/10 at best. Bentley deserved a spot over him any day of the week.

Amor played his way into the team but looked like he’d peaked.

Our forwards were outplayed simple as that. And Holbrook got the balance wrong, give them a few games but then ramp up for the two lead in so the timing is there. Not give the key players 2/3/4 weeks rest before such a massive game.

If they weren’t fit to play last week, shouldn’t have been picked yesterday. Simple as that for me.

It must be tough for Walmsley being such a big guy in that heat, but you’re playing in that week in week out down under and they are gonna expect longer than 10 min spells
    Lots of good points. Paulo is a donkey and Bentley was really unlucky not to play.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    I thought they looked knackered as well, they just dealt with it far better. Us being terrible helped, mind.
    Both teams were knackered, it’s just that through poor officiating they were in a position to hold on to a lead and we had to chase the game

The Wire pack were out on their feet when we had that little bit of momentum before Theo's try. Hill was absolutely knackered, Akulala did his usual of 1 carry in 15 minutes and didn't get involved again.

We just couldn't contain Philbin yesterday, which was pretty surprising as I don't think he offers a great deal. Add to that, Clarke had too much freedom from dummy half.

We let their pack get on top and ultimately it gave them a really good platform to build off, especially when you combine that with our countless unforced errors.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Both teams were knackered, it’s just that through poor officiating they were in a position to hold on to a lead and we had to chase the game
    The team have to take a share of the blame but the ref was appalling yesterday. We got very little apart from that dubious disallowed Lineham try which I felt was them trying to even things up a bit.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    The Wire pack were out on their feet when we had that little bit of momentum before Theo's try. Hill was absolutely knackered, Akulala did his usual of 1 carry in 15 minutes and didn't get involved again.

We just couldn't contain Philbin yesterday, which was pretty surprising as I don't think he offers a great deal. Add to that, Clarke had too much freedom from dummy half.

We let their pack get on top and ultimately it gave them a really good platform to build off, especially when you combine that with our countless unforced errors.
    I have to disagree with you about Philbin. He’s a local player and what he has is passion and that means he’s up for this type of game. I think Price threw the Wigan v Warrington game but he did’t tell Philbin that. The lad really stood out in the Wigan game; his legs driving him forward when someone else might have gone to ground. In addition, he clearly doesn’t suffer from big match nerves. I think we should give credit where it’s due.

Noooobie

Paulo has not took a decent ball in all season a guy as big a unit has him 2m or so from the dire line hitting a grubber instead of busting over when we were putting them under so much pressure.its about putting your body on the line and I for one don’t think he’s any intentions of going that far in the red vee

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Hindsight says a few players may have benefited from half a game in their legs last week.
    If we had won nobody would be questioning any of this and Holbrook would be the new Messiah. Instead he's now just a very naughty boy. ��
    I agree for such a meaningless game league wise last week, 2 out of the 4 should have got half a game. A big forward like Walmsley his case was probably just game fitness, they do say for the inexperienced players Wembley can take the legs from under you and it looked like that way for quite a few players in our team.

For Holbrook to bring in 4 players who hadn't played for over a month was too much a gamble that effected the energy balance of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    Paulo has not took a decent ball in all season a guy as big a unit has him 2m or so from the dire line hitting a grubber instead of busting over when we were putting them under so much pressure.its about putting your body on the line and I for one don’t think he’s any intentions of going that far in the red vee
    I ran to the bar harder than he ran yesterday

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    The team have to take a share of the blame but the ref was appalling yesterday. We got very little apart from that dubious disallowed Lineham try which I felt was them trying to even things up a bit.
    Spot on with that Dave.