Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Go Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I think we should go full strength in our last 3 league games in order to get up to speed for the playoffs,,, and hopefully old trafford
    We will lose at Old Trafford. No one fears us & it will happen again.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You're talking about Robert Hicks.
    I cannot understand why so many posters were happy when Hicks was name as ref .
    Not going to the camera for the Knowles try was not arrogance .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Agreed. What do we need to do to give ourselves a chance? Play our in form fit players. So welsby at full back. Play a kicker Richardson at 7. Work hard in training on Richardson’s place kicking. Play Smith at hooker with Roby on the bench. Play Bentley

Give Walmsley game time to get fit

We need an X factor as well and I don’t know what it is. I’m not convinced Holbrook can coach this mysterious X factor either

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Hard to argue with that.

A number of different media people starting to talk up the dark horses -Wigan.

It does feel like Saints will sleep walk into another disappointment.

Be interesting to see if there is anything different, in both selection and tactics in the last three weeks
    of the season.

Got A Season Ticket

From my seat I counted at least 8 players walking back to start the next set ok it was hot but warrington coped and this was every set in the second half this may not have been apparent on the tv

So lack of effort

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket NewJerseySaint's Avatar

It's disrespectful to accuse players of not showing effort. The conditions were brutal and that kind of heat affects people in different ways, regardless whether you are a super fit athlete or not.

However, It didn't help that a number of players hadn't played for several weeks and they all struggled with timing etc. The selection of those guys is on the coach, so with hindsight wrapping them up in cotton wool and not giving them a run was a massive mistake.

I haven't got a crystal ball so who knows if we can win the GF this year, or even get there. What I do know is that it wont be down to a lack of effort. It'll be down to a lack of confidence, poor form, team selection and luck (ref decisions, bounce of the ball etc)

COYS

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Banned

Cringe. Save it for your Rangers team talk.

I can’t criticise the players for effort but I just keep thinking we’ve been outwitted by our opponents in a big game again.

Obviously i’m no coach but I do wonder if Holbrook will rue the introduction of both LMS AND Ashworth for the second quarter of the first half. I thought we really lost control of the ruck when they came on and was surprised Amor wasn’t used at the stage of the game when we’d normally see Lees come on. Might even be worth splitting Walmsley and Thompson in the first half off the upcoming big games?

I also sincerely hope we only play the guys who are match fit from here on in, Roby, Coote and Knowles looked rusty to say the least. I think we demonstrated there is a clear distinction between a rested player and one returning from injury.....

Learning All The Songs

This isn’t based on yesterday it’s something I’ve thought for a while but what do people see in Ashworth? For someone his size he’s completely ineffective and is miles off Thompson, Walmsley (most are I know) and Lees has far more potential. He’s currently our worst prop by a distance, either he isn’t a prop or he isn’t good enough. LMS is another who has after a really good year last season has gone back to being average and at the age of 33 the sooner he leaves the better. The reaction from our end when he came in yesterday was embarrassing.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    This isn’t based on yesterday it’s something I’ve thought for a while but what do people see in Ashworth? For someone his size he’s completely ineffective and is miles off Thompson, Walmsley (most are I know) and Lees has far more potential. He’s currently our worst prop by a distance, either he isn’t a prop or he isn’t good enough. LMS is another who has after a really good year last season has gone back to being average and at the age of 33 the sooner he leaves the better. The reaction from our end when he came in yesterday was embarrassing.
    Yes because to actually support your own players is not in your dna.

Your mantra is criticism first, support never.

Got A Season Ticket

Disappointing! Yes the first try Hicks should have gone to the video referee, the second try was not a try in the corner for me, and perhaps Wire were harshly denied the try ball touching someone, but the referee sent it up as no try! But you can't win a game when you make so many mistakes and Saints did, yes nerves perhaps got to some players, I still question Walmsley at times, compared to Philbin who does much more when he gets the ball! Roby may not be yet fully fit, but he looked done in. It's over now nothing can be done, the aim is Old Trafford, can they play so badly again?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Cringe. Save it for your Rangers team talk.
    Lol. I recall the team talk in question worked out well in the end. Oh hang on...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post

There is a point there though. Amor has surpassed Ashworth in my opinion who has been slightly disappointing this year. He hasn’t progressed as much as I thought he could. Interesting times ahead as lots of squad competition for places.

If Lees was fit Ashworth wouldn't have played. He is what he is 5/6th choice in a salary capped sport.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post

Give it a rest you clown, we’ve just been humiliated in a final that we were massive favourites to win of course, like every other person on this forum, I’m going to be criticising the team and rightly so. I’ve been to every game apart from two this year (I assume that’s more than you) so don’t bother questioning my support. I’m sick of going to just about every big game for this team to bottle it, once they actually turn up in one I won’t criticise them.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If Lees was fit Ashworth wouldn't have played. He is what he is 5/6th choice in a salary capped sport.

That’s fair enough, I don’t have a problem with Ashworth as 5th/6th choice it’s just that he’s talked about as some big prospect with huge potential when he’s 24 and I can’t remember the last time he made an impact in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    From my seat I counted at least 8 players walking back to start the next set ok it was hot but warrington coped and this was every set in the second half this may not have been apparent on the tv

So lack of effort

That’s the forwards ‘recovery’ time while the backs take the first coupe of balls in. You’d have to be a machine to put 6 tackles in, run back after the kick then take drives in. All teams work that way

Learning All The Songs

That’s fair enough, I don’t have a problem with Ashworth as 5th/6th choice it’s just that he’s talked about as some big prospect with huge potential when he’s 24 and I can’t remember the last time he made an impact in a game.
    Lees runs with conviction, energy and vigour on every tackle, Ashworth doesnt.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He's just lacking in consistency and confidence at the moment he is more suited to being a second row running out wide like we played Big Joe, I seem to remember Thommo was a bit similar when he played the same no of games. LMS has been OK this year when we lost Thommo with his injury but with all the hype he had been generating up to the final he didn't really turn up as an experienced senior player with leadership qualities.

I said quite a few months ago that we need a big change in personnel for the 2021 and I don't think I've reason to change my mind on that one, for next season we really need a better 5th prop than Amor, LMS or Ashworth.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Disappointing! Yes the first try Hicks should have gone to the video referee, the second try was not a try in the corner for me, and perhaps Wire were harshly denied the try ball touching someone, but the referee sent it up as no try! But you can't win a game when you make so many mistakes and Saints did, yes nerves perhaps got to some players, I still question Walmsley at times, compared to Philbin who does much more when he gets the ball! Roby may not be yet fully fit, but he looked done in. It's over now nothing can be done, the aim is Old Trafford, can they play so badly again?
    History would suggest yes they can play so badly again. Time for Holbrook to drop the Mr nice guy and get stuck in and toughen this team up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    History would suggest yes they can play so badly again. Time for Holbrook to drop the Mr nice guy and get stuck in and toughen this team up.
    How is toughening up the team talk going to help? My view is it would just increase tension in tge players not reduce it. At any rate JH is gone at the end of this season so it would be a strange approach to take.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    You’d hope (wish?) that JH will look at this defeat and know himself where it went wrong and how to win these last few games and get us to the GF.

If there’s one positive to take from that game yesterday it’s that anything can happen in a final.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    You’d hope (wish?) that JH will look at this defeat and know himself where it went wrong and how to win these last few games and get us to the GF.

If there’s one positive to take from that game yesterday it’s that anything can happen in a final.
    Ironically the defeat could work for us now as the expectations are lower. And i wouldnt let them anywhere near social media until the seasons over.

Got A Season Ticket

This

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He's just lacking in consistency and confidence at the moment he is more suited to being a second row running out wide like we played Big Joe, I seem to remember Thommo was a bit similar when he played the same no of games. LMS has been OK this year when we lost Thommo with his injury but with all the hype he had been generating up to the final he didn't really turn up as an experienced senior player with leadership qualities.

I said quite a few months ago that we need a big change in personnel for the 2021 and I don't think I've reason to change my mind on that one, for next season we really need a better 5th prop than Amor, LMS or Ashworth.
    I've said this before, Ashworth isn't a prop, he needs to lose some weight and play second row.