Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bleating on to the RFL - Embarrassing

In The South Stand

Default Bleating on to the RFL - Embarrassing

So, we’ve made an official complaint to the RFL about Robert Hicks’ performance. Now, Hicks was horrendous, don’t get me wrong but when your having a game refereed by him, you need to understand that you’re going to be on the end of some bad decisions, it goes with the territory and while he did make some truly awful decisions for both sides, to complain post match about it is embarrassing and stinks of sour grapes.

Complain about 17-18 handling errors, complain about a turnstile in defence in Percival, complain about our forwards being woeful, complain about our players looking undercooked and out of form, complain about our halves being on the bus for the whole game but don’t go and blame the referee.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    So, we’ve made an official complaint to the RFL about Robert Hicks’ performance. Now, Hicks was horrendous, don’t get me wrong but when your having a game refereed by him, you need to understand that you’re going to be on the end of some bad decisions, it goes with the territory and while he did make some truly awful decisions for both sides, to complain post match about it is embarrassing and stinks of sour grapes.

Complain about 17-18 handling errors, complain about a turnstile in defence in Percival, complain about our forwards being woeful, complain about our players looking undercooked and out of form, complain about our halves being on the bus for the whole game but don’t go and blame the referee.
    Well this thread will be interesting...

In The South Stand

Why not complain ? the ref's are professional and should be held to account,they have aids to help them make the right calls. If it stops big games being reffed in a different way just because it's a cup final then again why not ? Would it of made a difference ? maybe but we shall never know. Yes we made errors,yes we were poor at times. But should that excuse the ref from being poor and making the right calls ?

We’ve not made a complaint- we’ve asked for an explanation

It’s hard on the players. They ran harder, made more metres, tackled better, bust more tackles, made more clean breaks etc but they still lost the game. The ref and his colleagues were solely account for an 18 point swing in the game

I think everyone wants answers about the Knowles try so I’m glad we’ve asked the question

If it is a Wane like move to lay a marker down for remain games then fine (and quite smart).

If it part of avoiding self refection and playing into this "so proud of the effort" ,
    "we were realy close" narrative ,then a bit chidlish.

All depends on the motivation to do it.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

It's the right thing to do. At the end of the day Hicks made a huge blunder very early on that could have changed the course of the game and ruined wires gameplan and confidence.

The club dont do it often, itll hopefully see the games at the end of the season officiated properly. There is so much determination to keep a penalty count low in a final that things like offside etc are completely ignored. It cant be that way if it impacts the game. Fair play to the club

It doesnt detract from the fact we played poorly but there is no two ways about it, hicks impacted upon that game with his egotistical call not to use the technology available to him.

Added to that what the hell is with him being interviewed on TV in the lead up to the final about an incident with a club in the final and still getting the game? I really dont believe that is the right thing for the refs department to allow. Doesnt sit well with me at all

Starting A Programme Collection

Name 2 tough calls against Warrington. I’ll swap theirs for ours.

Some Dros on here.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    Name 2 tough calls against Warrington. I’ll swap theirs for ours.

Some Dros on here.
    Lineham should have had a try. Let’s not forget how bad he was for both teams.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

If it was a normal game we take it on the chin, as it was a Cup Final and wearing our Saints Specs there were 4 tries allowed/disallowed as a result of bad calls 3 to 1 in Warrington's favour when the RFL review the match. As already mentioned Hicks should be held to account for the sake of ensuring the game is officiated with parity, did his meeting at the Warrington Wolves effect his judgement, you would say professionally NO but we can't be 100% sure of that.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If it was a normal game we take it on the chin, as it was a Cup Final and wearing our Saints Specs there were 4 tries allowed/disallowed as a result of bad calls 3 to 1 in Warrington's favour when the RFL review the match. As already mentioned Hicks should be held to account for the sake of ensuring the game is officiated with parity, did his meeting at the Warrington Wolves effect his judgement, you would say professionally NO but we can't be 100% sure of that.
    Would we have said this if we’d have managed to win this despite the poor decisions? Never.

It’s McManus with a dig at the RFL and nothing more.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

This.
    The problems are in our own backyard of our own making.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Has anyone got any links to this or is it just what people have heard?

Noooobie

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    It's on the st.helens star website

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...l-officiating/

I'd be more concerned if we didn’t say anything. Asking for clarification/explanation through official channels is perfectly appropriate. What do we want, roll over and have our tummy tickled?

In The South Stand

Lineham should have had a try. LetÂ’s not forget how bad he was for both teams.
    I think you’re still angry from Saturday.

It isn’t embarrassing to ask questions about refereeing decisions and, in particular, the terrible decision about the Knowles try. I’ve previously queried what going to Ganson or the RFL might achieve (“Knowles No Try?” thread) but, on reflection, we need to make refs think twice about thinking they can ride roughshod over us in future. Others have explained it better above. It’s also unusual for the club to complain about anything. The powers that be aren’t serial whingers.

The trouble with trying to get better decisions is that a more carefully thought out decision might go against us in an important game over the coming weeks. However, there isn’t any excuse for rushed/poor decisions in big games.

Don’t think I’m not worried about the team or the season. My own concern it that we have a team that seem to panic and overplaying in big games. I think losing big games is psychologically damaging and I don’t know what it will take to get the team’s corporate mindset right. Losing on Saturday has led me to depressed about the looming playoffs and GF. All I can hope is that my pessimism is misplaced and that he optimists are right. I’ve said on another thread that I’d love to read all this back and laugh about it after a GF victory.

Learning All The Songs

Percival`s defence was fine, the first charge by Philbin, who most people thought had a great game, Percy wrapped him straight to ground. Theo tackled like a Trojan, scored a try, set up two clean breaks and produced two round the back passes one that Naquiama made a break then Tommy carried it on , he also put in the kick for Knowles no try.
    If the complaint seems small time and embarrassing to you fine, I think you have a point, the handling errors yes, misjudgement by the coach maybe ( with hindsight).
    The forwards being woeful no, Percival`s defence no, and halves been on the bus no.

Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar

Saints arent saying we lost because of the ref decisions, however seversl clear mistakes were made that cant be allowed to be unanswered in a final.

All tv pundits wondered why in a final Hicks didnt go to the screen to check the grounding, wires first try came from a blatant knock on into a saints player.

The rfl need to look at the officiating and Hicks interpretation of the rules. In the 2nd half wire were penalised for obstruction that was never one.

If Childs can be demoted for his officiating in catalan for the warrington match then Hicks has to be treated the same for his clear errors and letting the occasion get to him.

When was saints defence woeful? People need to calm down and get a grip. It was 18-4 we had three trys ruled out, wire scored their opportunities in extreme heat, saints played flat out in the opening 20 mins and blew wire away except great defence from the wolves.

It was a good game for the neutrals but the ref is the centre of all talking points and it shouldn't be the case for a final.
    Saints until i Die!!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I'd be more concerned if we didn’t say anything. Asking for clarification/explanation through official channels is perfectly appropriate. What do we want, roll over and have our tummy tickled?
    Exactly, no harm in raising awareness of the concern to do with the officiating, they have raised quite a few issues and they must have plenty of video footage to back it up.

It’s nothing new, we have done it before through Millward and Anderson what we don’t want is another Ian Smith mk11.

In The South Stand

Lineham should have had a try. Let’s not forget how bad he was for both teams.
    Correct, Hicks and his buddy Bargain Basement Ben simply "evening things up" when it didn't matter a jot.

Starting A Programme Collection

What is embarrassing is a sport where finals are refereed differently from the rest of the season. The ruck and 10m were a joke on Saturday. Not the (only) reason for the loss but played a part.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Spot on. I'm sick of officials making "mistakes" that result in us being put on the back foot in big games earning us the unwanted and undeserved "choker" tag from some "fans". You can call the team for everything but at the end of the day an 18 point swing when you've played your hearts out, your plan worked (except you've had two tries disallowed and a scrum given against you which was a knock on by Wire which resulted in a Wire try) and it's your first time at Wembley and the ref has made three glaring errors against you in thirty odd minutes, you're going to start to lose the plot. You can't beat the ref! About time the appalling officiating was questioned.

Got A Season Ticket

Yes, that was very true. Hicks looked like a ref more concerned with creating a 'quick, fast flowing final' rather than awarding penalties that he would every over week. Both teams suffered as a result of this though.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    We’ve not made a complaint- we’ve asked for an explanation

It’s hard on the players. They ran harder, made more metres, tackled better, bust more tackles, made more clean breaks etc but they still lost the game. The ref and his colleagues were solely account for an 18 point swing in the game

I think everyone wants answers about the Knowles try so I’m glad we’ve asked the question
    100% spot on mate.