Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wembley

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Default Wembley

Despite the games focus being the playoffs these days the Challenge Cup final and Wembley is still the one for me.

Even though i only saw losses from late 70's to the mid 90's including the soul destroying 27-0 nightmare, there is something very special about the whole day and I'm gutted not to be attending on Saturday.

I hope everyone heading to London over the next 24 hours has a brilliant day and hopefully we'll be celebrating our first Challenge Cup for a very long time.

Come on you Saints!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Great post. It's the one for me as well. Challenge Cup over the grand final every time

There's something very special about the Cup Final and Wembley week. The players getting their suits, the send off, the trip down, Wembley Way...

My first was in 87, and today after too many semi final defeats to mention I get to take my lad down for the first time. Enjoy the weekend everyone

Starting A Programme Collection

The CC has always had the spark of magic for me . Wembley 83 was my first ever game i witnessed as a 5 yr old and fortunately went to every final up until 98.

I have some incredible memories of the CC final. Im really looking forward to taking my son on Saturday so He can experience it for himself . COYS

Got A Season Ticket

this is the first cup final I'll experience without my Dad who passed away last year. Happy to be going and can't wait but also a little sad at the same time.

In The South Stand

I also think the Challenge Cup is the best , the trouble is that the company that bought Rugby League denigrated the CC competition so much to try to make there Saturday night in October competition seem better . By rebranding Rugby League as Super league they put it on a par with a lot of other competitions that are so many that another one gets lost amongst them all . A Saturday night which is just a couple of hours of TV cannot possibly compare to a Day out anywhere for what everyone knows is the one to win , if we don't win and I don't even like saying that we can always try for there comp but ! if we do the song " we won the cup 2 will be heard loud and clear . I am not going this time but having been to so many I understand what is meant by the saying the magic of the cup , I hope everyone enjoys the game and that Saints win , its an awful day out if they lose . Come on you Saints , you will hear me from my armchair .

I’ve seen Saints at every CC final from 1972 up to the opening of the new Wembley so a new experience for me (although I was there for the World Cup semi final in 2013). It looks like the temperature will be around 30 degrees tomorrow afternoon so shades of 1976. The nerves are kicking in already - COYS!!
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

Double post.
    Last edited by MickeyMo; 23rd August 2019 at 09:57. Reason: Posted twice.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

It’s a tough one because for me being Champions should be the no1 target for us each year and as such winning the Grand Final holds more importance in that sense.

However there’s just something so special and so magical about winning at Wembley. One of my early memories as an 11 year old was the 1996 cup final. I can still remember that feeling when we started to come back in that 2nd half. Hairs go up on the back of my neck when I think about Bobbie Goulding and those bombs. Seeing the players do the lap of honour and holding up the “that’s for you” message to the fans (or words to that effect).

I can’t put into words what it would mean to see us win it again. It’s been far too long since the last one but that’ll all be forgotten for a few hours tomorrow. It’s going to be a day of varying emotions no doubt but as long as come 5pm James Roby has hold of that cup I’m not really bothered.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Absolutely agree with everything above, and I think not getting there for 11 years has helped, there's a buzz because for anyone born this century pretty much will have no memory of Wembley..

I think Saints have done it right too, I went the shop last weekend and it was packed out, it must have made the club some money. Further to that having a send off and potential homecoming does go back to when the challenge cup was everything..

Heading down shortly with my 4 year old, he's been absolutely buzzing this week and I don't think he quite knows why!

Come on you Saints!

In The South Stand

I was spoilt to be born when I was and to be lucky enough to be born to a St Helens born and bred father so growing up as a child into a teenager during the late 90’s-2008, we won everything multiple times and it was almost the norm that Saints got to a Final and won it and looking back, I probably took it for granted.

We’ve not been to Wembley since I’ve officially been deemed an adult, so this is long overdue for me.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

It’d be nice to win the cup, but id take the GF all day. As a season ticket holder the League comes before the cup for me.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    It’d be nice to win the cup, but id take the GF all day. As a season ticket holder the League comes before the cup for me.
    You're giving your age away there. For me the history and tradition of the Challenge cup makes it the one to win. Sky can play it down as much as they like.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by TheRLStatman View Post
    this is the first cup final I'll experience without my Dad who passed away last year. Happy to be going and can't wait but also a little sad at the same time.
    Enjoy it for him mate!

Challenge Cup every time. My first Wembley 1966. Had a seat directly behind Len Killeen and saw it sail over the bar. Magical and then Ray French brought the 4 trophies to my school (Cowley) and we all filed past reverently. Used to go every year with the Horseshoe Pub in Parr. Most memorable was 1971 Leeds v Leigh, the Sid Hynes final. Ah, nostalgia,s not what it used to be. Lol.

Anyone else feel sick with nerves already???

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Anyone else feel sick with nerves already???
    Currently on our 4th round in Windsor best way to cure the nevers.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by TheRLStatman View Post
    I hope you have a great day. Give a shout for your dad

Got A Season Ticket

Going with my grandson who was 1 when we were last at Wembley. Not nervous yet but I'm sure it will come.
    Hoping for a great game and some champagne rugby in the second half.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Going with my grandson his first Wembley.He went earlier today with his dad,he is so excited because he can see the stadium from his hotel room.He is 7.I am going from Saints in the morning and meet them before the game.

Got A Season Ticket

It's the cup for me every time.
    It's mad the things you remember like going to pimbletts before getting on the coach and the shop being decked out in a sea of red and white.

Noooobie

Tomorrow, we are a band of brothers and sisters. We are the 18th player, all working together for the common cause. Forget all arguments between us, wipe the slate clean and get behind the lads. I wish you a safe journey, both there and back, and I hope you all have a fantastic day. COYS.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

My first trip to Wembley as a Saints fan.
    My First trip to a final as a Saints fan.

Im 29. I wont sleep tonight. Feel like a kid at Christmas

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

My first Wembley was '77, taken on the coach by my Aunties ( Windsor Rd's Sisters of Murphy!) and learnt so much- the fans still sang all the way home after the defeat, the rival fans were good natured and the Widnes fans sat in front of us were only winding me up when the said they had been sat there since last year!
    Subsequent trips were more successful, managing to get over on leave from Germany as we bombed the bulls on the way to victory. Loved going out in London that night and again the fans showed the locals what Northern friendliness and humour was all about.
    Watching from afar now, NZ, am really enjoying the build up - great work Saints with the suits and departure and the " special guest" - these all help make the week special. I look back fondly on the days when the Star would feature the donation of sausages and steak etc from a local butcher to ensure the players were up for the game. I lived out in Ormskirk but even there the were shops that decorated the windows for Saints.
    COYS - much aroha from Aotearoa.

Noooobie

Nothing beats the CC final. Its lost a bit of its magic with the alteration of the playing season. It was always at the end of the rugby and football season, last week in April or first week in May. Ask any aussie why he comes over here, its to play at wembley they don't care about GF rings, its that gold cup winners medal they would love to get their hands on. Wembleys not the same since its rebuild, but it is still iconic.