Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saints Warrington finals?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Default Saints Warrington finals?

In my 25 years watching the sport theirs never been a Saints Warrington final. Does anyone remember a Saints Warrington final in their time as a supporter and if so whats your memories of them?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    In my 25 years watching the sport theirs never been a Saints Warrington final. Does anyone remember a Saints Warrington final in their time as a supporter and if so whats your memories of them?
    I cant recall ever facing Warrington in any final. Im certain we have never met in a CC final. From memory , pre super league we have faced Batley , Halifax, Wigan , Leeds and Widnes in the CC

Im not sure if we have met in one of the lesser comps such as the old Floodlit trophy, regal Trophy or the championship final . Be interesting to know .

Warrington beat Saints in the 82/83 season Lancashire Cup final 16-0.

Last time before that was a 32-20 for Saints in the 1977 Premiership final.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Met in 3 Lancashire Cup finals, 2-1 in Warrington's favour. Lost in 1932, won in 1967 (after a replay) and lost in 1982.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Met in 3 Lancashire Cup finals, 2-1 in Warrington's favour. Lost in 1932, won in 1967 (after a replay) and lost in 1982.
    At least one more to add to that WWW..... the first final I watched Saints in was the Lancs Cup Final in 1959 (at Wigan) - we played in a blackshirt with a white vee and lost 5-4... the only try was scored by Brian Bevan who touched down just as Vollenhoven kicked the ball away... aged 10 I was distraught- I was sitting in the Riverside stand with my dad and the try was "scored" on the opposite side of the field at the"non-Kop" end.... despite being the best part of 100 yards away I could clearly see that that Voll had cleared the ball before Bevan touched it down - where was the video ref when you needed him???? I also seem to remember Jack Arkwright (of Warrington) being sent off for flattening Alex Murphy (who went off, not to return) - not a lot changes, does it?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by volls_dad View Post
    At least one more to add to that WWW..... the first final I watched Saints in was the Lancs Cup Final in 1959 (at Wigan) - we played in a blackshirt with a white vee and lost 5-4... the only try was scored by Brian Bevan who touched down just as Vollenhoven kicked the ball away... aged 10 I was distraught- I was sitting in the Riverside stand with my dad and the try was "scored" on the opposite side of the field at the"non-Kop" end.... despite being the best part of 100 yards away I could clearly see that that Voll had cleared the ball before Bevan touched it down - where was the video ref when you needed him???? I also seem to remember Jack Arkwright (of Warrington) being sent off for flattening Alex Murphy (who went off, not to return) - not a lot changes, does it?
    That was in 1959.

I'm going to disagree with you though. Saints moved Vollenhoven to the left wing to mark Bevan. Bevan did touch down just before Voll got his boot to the ball. I was in the hen pen that day, the scoreboard end, so much closer than you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    That was in 1959.

I'm going to disagree with you though. Saints moved Vollenhoven to the left wing to mark Bevan. Bevan did touch down just before Voll got his boot to the ball. I was in the hen pen that day, the scoreboard end, so much closer than you were.
    I said it was in 1959!
    But you are right about Voll being on the left wing (I'd forgotten about that!) Being closer than me doesn't mean that you were/are right.... I'll stick to my version (although it doesn't change who won and who lost!)

Noooobie

We were shocking in the 82 Lancs cup loss at Wigan against Wire.What was more embarrassing is that we fielded a weak team against the touring Aussies the week before and got thumped 32-0.The Aussies had held Saints in high esteem up to this point and so they fielded a test side.The end point of the lancs cup final was the traditional wire fans kicking off after the game....some things don’t change.
    The premiership final in 77 was at Swinton and my first ever Saints final watching live.
    A year later my first Wembley final and that Noonan dropped ball at the death a lingering nightmare.
    Here is hoping that Saints turn in the complete 80 mins performance on Saturday.COYS.

Got A Season Ticket

The fight was worse at Swinton in 1977 with clouds of dust in the old Station road ground.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by volls_dad View Post
    I remember Jack Arkwright being sent off for us, early 60's. I think it was a lancashire cup semi or a final. We kicked off and Arky flew across the half way and flattened Stan Owen. We were a man down before we had touched the ball. I think he got banned, then came back and got banned sine die first game back.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I remember Jack Arkwright being sent off for us, early 60's. I think it was a lancashire cup semi or a final. We kicked off and Arky flew across the half way and flattened Stan Owen. We were a man down before we had touched the ball. I think he got banned, then came back and got banned sine die first game back.
    Happy days, eh?

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Semolina Pilchard View Post
    We were shocking in the 82 Lancs cup loss at Wigan against Wire.What was more embarrassing is that we fielded a weak team against the touring Aussies the week before and got thumped 32-0.The Aussies had held Saints in high esteem up to this point and so they fielded a test side.The end point of the lancs cup final was the traditional wire fans kicking off after the game....some things don’t change.
    The premiership final in 77 was at Swinton and my first ever Saints final watching live.
    A year later my first Wembley final and that Noonan dropped ball at the death a lingering nightmare.
    Here is hoping that Saints turn in the complete 80 mins performance on Saturday.COYS.

I remember that. Two successive games without scoring. We lost 32-0 to a full strength 'Invincibles' team with a weakened side, and then lost 16-0 with a terrible performance against Warrington. How we only lost 32-0 to Australia is beyond belief.

I have a memory of a final in 1974 against Warrington at Wigan. We lost 13-12. I remember Kel Coslett missed a drop goal near the end. I think that a DG was still worth 2 points at that time. Merit Cup seems to ring a bell . I think it was a short-lived competition to replace the top 16 playoffs and was succeeded by the Captain Morgan Trophy and then ultimately the Premiership. It was the last time I can recall watching Alex Murphy play but perhaps my memory fails me.

Yeah, I went the Lancashire Cup Final. Stood on The Kop Central Park.
    Memories patchy. Similar to the post above lasting memory is more us disrespecting the touring Kangaroos the previous week and all for nothing ultimately.
    The next Lancashire Cup final at Central Park was FAR more enjoyable!!

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Yeah, I went the Lancashire Cup Final. Stood on The Kop Central Park.
    Memories patchy. Similar to the post above lasting memory is more us disrespecting the touring Kangaroos the previous week and all for nothing ultimately.
    The next Lancashire Cup final at Central Park was FAR more enjoyable!!
    I think I stood in the paddock at Central Park. I remember walking out of the ground into a running battle between rival fans. Luckily, my mates and I were not drawn into it. It was a sad train journey home.

As regards the next Lancs cup final, well, that's another story. RL folklore has it that, despite our weakened team against the Kangaroos, Big Mal was very impressed with our hospitality, and this was a major factor for his signing. This is how Sean Edwards ended up being ploughed into the Central Park turf and Saints lifted the Lancs Cup. People nowadays may not think that the Lancs cup was a major trophy. (Many don't really even respect the LLS.) I'm sure that anyone who was there at Wigan that day would put that win up there with many our the best CC and GF victories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Meninga View Post
    I think I stood in the paddock at Central Park. I remember walking out of the ground into a running battle between rival fans. Luckily, my mates and I were not drawn into it. It was a sad train journey home.

As regards the next Lancs cup final, well, that's another story. RL folklore has it that, despite our weakened team against the Kangaroos, Big Mal was very impressed with our hospitality, and this was a major factor for his signing. This is how Sean Edwards ended up being ploughed into the Central Park turf and Saints lifted the Lancs Cup. People nowadays may not think that the Lancs cup was a major trophy. (Many don't really even respect the LLS.) I'm sure that anyone who was there at Wigan that day would put that win up there with many our the best CC and GF victories.
    Indeed, one of THE great days as a Saints fan that final.
    Alex Murphy summarising stood in the crowd with fans interrupting!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post

However the story goes that Lee Briers dad always said to him that Warrington would never be regarded as a “ big” team until they had beaten Saints in a Challenge Cup Final at Wembley.

So there you go,
    Well if his dad told him that on Saturday, he wouldn't remember it on Sunday!

Noooobie

Merit Trophy play-off Final at Wigan 1974. Warrington won 13-12

Banned

Seriously there will only be three real teams in RL. Saints Leeds Wigan in whatever order you choose. Wire 11th in line.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this topic.

Loving the primrose and blue banner too.
    What a wonderful gift. Thank you.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

WARRINGTON! WO. Haven't you missed an H out
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed reading this topic.

What a wonderful gift. Thank you.
    Aye, I bet you did at 01:15. You're not obsessed are you, coming on here in the middle of night you oddball.

Learning All The Songs

Of course everyone is forgetting that we beat Warrington in the only major Wembley final that mattered. The 1986 FA Vase final.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Well there wont be another one this season hahaha. RD had wire down for a certain win...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

Warrington were dreadful. Is so galling that we could not beat them

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Warrington, sending super Benny Westwood off in fitting style, shite club playing shitty rugby the Warrington way.