Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad for WEMBLEY!!

Well that was an epic bottle job for me.

First thing: I’m not a fan of rotation and have been consistent on that point. Our spine played like they hadn’t played together for ages, which they hadn’t. All of the players coming back - Walmsley, Knowles, Coote - made horrendous errors. Coote, especially, had his worst game in a Saints shirt by miles.

But I’m not sure that covers it. I’m not convinced this team has enough winners in it. It looked like Coote might be the man to calm this team down in the pressure situations, but today we just completely wilted under pressure and reverted to our big match type - making it up on the fly and trying to score on every set, and Coote was arguably the worst culprit. Add to that the fact that we knocked on three times at first receiver and you have it in a nutshell.

I’d love to say that we’ll make amends by winning the GF, but if we get there I will be expecting us to lose. We need to add at least one real winner to this team.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Give over. He’s had plenty experience of losing knockout games with us. 2017 play offs, 2018 cup semi, 2018 play offs, today. Try again, pal.

Good luck Gold Coast. Holbrook will be back over here coaching a nobody team within the next 12 months.

Do better next time, Rush
    I’m not sure this is fair. We play better rugby most of the time. He’s done a good job really. It does look like perhaps he doesn’t know how to prepare a team for a big game. He’s got 5 big games coming up now

Got A Season Ticket

I have supported Saints for well over 50 years and today I feel more embarrassed than at any other time that I can recall. Let's not get too carried away blaming Hicks - it was a Saints performance not worthy of the great traditions of our club- in fact it was nothing short of disgraceful. So many mistakes made it impossible to win. I was worried that several players were coming back from weeks absent through injury and it was clear that they were miles off the pace.
    There seems to be no point in running away with weekly rounds if, when it really matters, we cannot put in a performance that can win us anything meaningful. I am at a loss as to understand why this is happening year on year. Clubs have nothing to fear from Saints in big matches. We are archetypical bottlers.
    I hope the entire team take a long hard look at themselves. The only way they can redeem themselves for me is to go on and win the Grand Final in some style. I feel very hurt by that performance today.
    It was a poor game that will have done nothing for RL's image as a sport.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

There will be some young lads sat on the side who would have had more composure.

How many tries in finals are memorable?

You score from hard work and crash over tries.

The league is for wide to west moments, finals are for big kicks putting fullbacks under pressure and crash overs from the pack.

Learning All The Songs

This result should change our choice of a new coach, no more assistants, we need someone with proven success, even Wane should be considered.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I’m not sure this is fair. We play better rugby most of the time. He’s done a good job really. It does look like perhaps he doesn’t know how to prepare a team for a big game. He’s got 5 big games coming up now
    Aye. He just doesn’t win when it matters. The club is rotten. We have too much player power. The players have big heads and feel like world beaters without actually earning the title. 5 years, no major trophies, 2 different coaches (a strict disciplinarian and then a nice guy), still no major trophies. Where does the buck fall???? McManus? Rush??
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    There will be some young lads sat on the side who would have had more composure.

How many tries in finals are memorable?

You score from hard work and crash over tries.

The league is for wide to west moments, finals are for big kicks putting fullbacks under pressure and crash overs from the pack.

I said 2 days ago and that Bentley should play. He should have

Aye. He just doesn’t win when it matters. The club is rotten. We have too much player power. The players have big heads and feel like world beaters without actually earning the title. 5 years, no major trophies, 2 different coaches (a strict disciplinarian and then a nice guy), still no major trophies. Where does the buck fall???? McManus? Rush??
    I’m pretty fuming right now but I think “the club is rotten” is going a bit far. The team lacks bottle - whether that’s down to coaching or recruitment is open to debate but I think most of us in the cold light of day would say the club is in a much better place than it was a couple of years ago.

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

I said 2 days ago and that Bentley should play. He should have
    Have to say bringing back the 4 who've missed the last month backfired.
    Coote had a shocker - Knowles also made bi errors and Walmsley couldn't keep up with play after 5 mins

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    Have to say bringing back the 4 who've missed the last month backfired.
    Coote had a shocker - Knowles also made bi errors and Walmsley couldn't keep up with play after 5 mins
    Spot on. All under cooked.

If they were fit last week they should have had a run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Hand and heart now, lets be honest. How many of us saints fans think we could possibly bottle it in the play offs?
    Hand on heart, I fully expect us to.

Very Ordinary indeed.

Always pick on form and fitness , not reputation.

Holbrook destined to go down as a nice bloke who can't win aything.

Some of the seniors toaday. need to have a big look at themselves.

100 percent we could get best in the play offs

The league is completely irrelevant as a guide to the best team in a play off format

That’s why I won big on Warrington today

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I’m pretty fuming right now but I think “the club is rotten” is going a bit far. The team lacks bottle - whether that’s down to coaching or recruitment is open to debate but I think most of us in the cold light of day would say the club is in a much better place than it was a couple of years ago.
    If you think im being unfair are you willing to admit that Holbrooks coaching and team selection need quest questioning?

Who picks the team?????? The coach? The players???
    Bottom line, our rested players were some of our poorest today? Who picked the team? Who influenced our weak coach to pick such team?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    This result should change our choice of a new coach, no more assistants, we need someone with proven success, even Wane should be considered.
    I don’t think it would be a case of Saints considering Wane, but Wane considering Saints.

If you think im being unfair are you willing to admit that Holbrooks coaching and team selection need quest questioning?
    Of course - I’ve questioned them on this thread. I just think it’s a bit of a stretch to say that the club is rotten, is all.

Learning All The Songs

Hand on heart, I fully expect us to.
    That’s a worry. Should Holbrook play Walmsley Coote, Roby and Knowles now for three games to get them fit? What about our halves they did nothing today. Maybe we should put it down to experience and move on. I don’t know but it’s a huge challenge for the coach. Despite our lead in the league Warrington, Wigan and Hull won’t be very worried about having to play us. Winning our first playoff game let alone the GF is going to require something much better than today

Took me back to Murrayfield.

That’s a worry. Should Holbrook play Walmsley Coote, Roby and Knowles now for three games to get them fit? What about our halves they did nothing today. Maybe we should put it down to experience and move on. I don’t know but it’s a huge challenge for the coach. Despite our lead in the league Warrington, Wigan and Hull won’t be very worried about having to play us. Winning our first playoff game let alone the GF is going to require something much better than today
    We play our strongest and fittest side every week to get the form and momentum back. If we go into the playoffs with good form we should win at least one of those games. If players get hurt its tough but I think thats the best thing to do from Cas onwards.

My worry is this season could be a spectacular failure.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think we need to sack off the rotation. Plqyers only get a week off if injured. But I worry that that wouldn’t be enough - I’m just not sure the playing squad has enough winners in it.

I think we need to sack off the rotation. Plqyers only get a week off if injured. But I worry that that wouldn’t be enough - I’m just not sure the playing squad has enough winners in it.

Rotation is fine. A lot of good youngsters blooded this season.

Should have kept a few in today. Bentley/Welsby.

Still no plan B if it doesn't go to script in the first 20.

A few seniors had their pants pulled down today, just had to turn up.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Rotation is fine. A lot of good youngsters blooded this season.

Should have kept a few in today. Bentley/Welsby.

Still no plan B if it doesn't go to script in the first 20.

A few seniors had their pants pulled down today, just had to turn up.
    A few of the younger players didn’t cover themselves in glory either.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

100%. Flat out till the end of season

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk