Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Kristian Woolf New Coach

In The South Stand

when Wiganer posts" its the Wigan model " I would like to point him to the 1996 team and years from then Wigan were still buying all the players the could see and bankrupting themselves whilst Saints were bringing young players in , with a coach incidentaly who went to Wigan but wasn't appreciated .

Thick As Mince

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    when Wiganer posts" its the Wigan model " I would like to point him to the 1996 team and years from then Wigan were still buying all the players the could see and bankrupting themselves whilst Saints were bringing young players in , with a coach incidentaly who went to Wigan but wasn't appreciated .
    Suppose it depends on how far back you want to go. When i say 'success' i don't mean in terms of honours and silverware, i mean the constant roll out of new players every season up to the task of SL because of the youth investment. I don't wan't to derail the thread talking about us though, i was just pointing out that Holbrook has approached Saints in a similar way and your strength in depth has improved drastically in the last couple of years.

Banned

The problem for me with going overseas is the obvious, it is a stepping stone for them and vitally that they and their family settle immediately. Which ever way you look at it the policy can only ever be short term.

Would we risk another Kez? Wello and even Scully are never in the frame if the answer is no. Other English coaches are Radford who is a version of Kez and McDermott who would be a Potter type for our club.

I wish Holbrook wanted to be here rather than a pretty awful soulless Aussie club but sadly its a different profile in Aus and its home for him. I personally would have gone for Daniel Anderson as a general football manager with Scully or Wello as head coach. Still it will hopefully be the real year of the Wolfe.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I say this with the greatest respect. I want Saints to win either the CC or GF or both some day. If we won a GF with a greater loss ratio than a winning one I would take that all day over winning the league by 16 points and not winning a GF.
    So would I, but I still appreciate what JH has done.

Noooobie

what about the fans who pay money to watch every week the team should be trying to win every game out of respect for them/us

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    The problem for me with going overseas is the obvious, it is a stepping stone for them and vitally that they and their family settle immediately. Which ever way you look at it the policy can only ever be short term.

Would we risk another Kez? Wello and even Scully are never in the frame if the answer is no. Other English coaches are Radford who is a version of Kez and McDermott who would be a Potter type for our club.

I wish Holbrook wanted to be here rather than a pretty awful soulless Aussie club but sadly its a different profile in Aus and its home for him. I personally would have gone for Daniel Anderson as a general football manager with Scully or Wello as head coach. Still it will hopefully be the real year of the Wolfe.
    Great post Cyprus, but don't be surprised if our new guy came from somewhere a lot closer to home .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Great post Cyprus, but don't be surprised if our new guy came from somewhere a lot closer to home .
    Spill it Roy

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Could Ian Watson still be in the frame?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Could Ian Watson still be in the frame?
    Could be. Or......

Got A Season Ticket

Watson to Saints seems to be the chat in Salford....

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    Watson to Saints seems to be the chat in Salford....
    Really? I think it’s a done deal, for whoever we’re appointing, as McManus said we’ll have an announcement in the next week or two. The Woolf speculation seems too strong for it to not be him and he’s been the only one who’s been mentioned as having been offered the job. Unless he’s turned us down and we’ve gone straight to Watson. The below tweet was from yesterday as well.

https://twitter.com/bradwaltersport/...819206144?s=21

Learning All The Songs

Watson's 47% win rate is not good enough for Saints for me. Some will say he's done well on limited resources but they've had some decent signings over the last few seasons and never really moved on.

I’m not sure doing well on limited resources necessarily means you’d do well with a big club. It’s a different beast

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’m not sure doing well on limited resources necessarily means you’d do well with a big club. It’s a different beast
    Different beast, different level of players. different expectations, leading to more fickle fans. That's not to say Watson is not a good coach, but appointing him would be a brave or brilliant move. I don't know which.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Different beast, different level of players. different expectations, leading to more fickle fans. That's not to say Watson is not a good coach, but appointing him would be a brave or brilliant move. I don't know which.
    Agreed, not saying he couldn’t be successful but it is different

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Agree completely, Watson is a no for me. It’s one that would either be a huge success or a disaster. Chester had Wakefield in a not too dissimilar position to Salford a couple of seasons ago and no one would go near him now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Hard to gauge. Millward was’nt even coaching a SL club before he was appointed at Saints but look at his success...

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Hard to gauge. Millward was’nt even coaching a SL club before he was appointed at Saints but look at his success...
    But he was Australian.

In The South Stand

I am like most posters on here guessing and hoping we get another good coach but i also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't Aussie , Watson has coached in all ranks of Rugby League and the team that he has now on Friday were standing 2nd if i am right also when Long left we moved rapid to bring Marshall in so we have got talent in this country but they have to be given the chance sometime.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I wouldn’t mind us giving Watson a chance. Ive got a lot of time for him.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    But he was Australian.
    Paulo is from New Zealand but it doesn't make him play like Sonny Bill.

Banned

More like Sonny Bono just a pity we cannot Cher him with Leigh.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I'd like to think that whoever we get can match Millward, but I think the days of internationals not making the bench are behind us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    more like sonny bono just a pity we cannot cher him with leigh.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    A theory I have been musing since our CC final victory is whether Kristian Woolf had any say in the saints CC final team selection, and was possibly responsible for splitting the dressing room .
    Which then continued into the Cas game.
    I don’t think it’s possible for a post to be any more wide of the mark than this.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS