Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kristian Woolf New Coach

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Exactly. Surely the club need a wise old head with a track record of winning big games and the self confidence that goes with it; not a comparative rookie who has also failed in Grand Finals.
    Its disappointing the club are looking at this option. Surely there are better alternatives than a novice who has won no major trophies and will want to disappear back home in 18-25 months.
    Right now I’d prefer a proven winner myself but there isn’t really anyone there who we could appoint. To be fair though, if we win the Grand Final I’d be more than happy with Woolf. From what I’ve seen of his career he seems a pretty good coach. He was coach of the Blackhawks in the Intrust Super Cup for 4 years and in that time they were the only team to make the finals every year, has been Tonga coach for 4 years and they obviously had a good World Cup whilst playing some good stuff. I’d argue he’s more qualified and has a better CV than Holbrook did when he took over so I think to call him a novice is a bit harsh. Daily Telegraph in Australia are saying it’s set to be announced this week so hopefully he build on what Holbrook’s done and turn this team into one that wins the big games consistently.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Right now I’d prefer a proven winner myself but there isn’t really anyone there who we could appoint. To be fair though, if we win the Grand Final I’d be more than happy with Woolf. From what I’ve seen of his career he seems a pretty good coach. He was coach of the Blackhawks in the Intrust Super Cup for 4 years and in that time they were the only team to make the finals every year, has been Tonga coach for 4 years and they obviously had a good World Cup whilst playing some good stuff. I’d argue he’s more qualified and has a better CV than Holbrook did when he took over so I think to call him a novice is a bit harsh. Daily Telegraph in Australia are saying it’s set to be announced this week so hopefully he build on what Holbrook’s done and turn this team into one that wins the big games consistently.
    Good post, well balanced - and on the basis of what you describe - he sounds good to me and worth a go in the absence of a recognised top drawer coach available.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I think we have to back Holbrook until the end of the season.

However, I firmly believe there is a more rigid, percentage, forward orientated game required to win the Sky Razmatazz Final.

I don't know how others feel but seeing Wire parade that trophy that means so much to me is a total kick in the proverbial. I'm sick of losing these games, absolutely weary of it.

Every bit of free time I've had, it's gnawing away at me. I hope the players and coaching staff have a determination to put this tag of chokers to bed. Because it's there, whether we agree or not.

All that said, I would like to thank the players and coaching staff for playing some awesome rugby since Holbrook arrived at the club.
    It’s been awful, the whole reaction to it has been unbearable as well, you can’t go anywhere on social media without seeing something taking the p*ss. Even fans of much smaller clubs like Castleford and Hull have been at it. I fully expected them to rub it in our faces but my word Warrington have to have the most classless fans in the league with the way their fans (and players) have reacted to their win. Calling us bottlers (fair enough but a good one coming from them), taking the p*ss out of individual players and they generally can’t stop talking about us.

I’d understand it if they’d won the one they really want but they haven’t. It’ll all be worth it if we do go on to win the Grand Final though as a lot of people would be made to look like idiots. Would be one of our most satisfying Grand Finals win and I’d be delighted to see Holbrook leave as a Grand Final winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    It amazes me how one game can change people's opinions. The contrast between people's view of Holbrook and Price has changed last Saturday.

I can barely recall anyone questioning Holbrook and his ability up to the final.
    On the other hand, had the result gone the other way at Wembley I can't help but feel Price might have been down the job centre before long after a run in defeats and such a gulf at the top of the table.

There were definitely rumblings of discontent among the Wire fans questioning if Price could take them any further forward.
    Within 80 minutes Price is now The Messiah and Holbrook is now not fit and for some shouldn't see the season out.
    Unbelievable. The change this guy has brought us out of the dark days under KC with almost the same personnel has been a joy for the most part.
    At the start of the season I said I would settle for the Challenge Cup OR the Championship. We are still in with a very good chance of achieving that.

I find it quite ironic being called bottlers by supporters of a club who have to ask their Great Great Great Great Grandfather what it was like to win the league!!
    Holbrook all day for me, Price looks like an angry Gerbil !!!

GF is ours COYS

In The South Stand

Watching Salford beating Warrington, I wonder whether Ian Watson should have been considered? What he manages on limited resources is pretty amazing. It’s a pity Salford get such poor support.

Warrington haven’t got a full compliment of players out but Salford have had the better of them all season.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Saints vWigan but I would not count Salford out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Let's have some predictions my fellow saints fans,, which two teams will take to field at old Trafford 6 weeks on Saturday? I've said a while ago it will be Saints and Hull fc and will stick to my guns
    Well MS, for me, the road it's going, it will be Saints v Goons. Saints win and happy, happy, days will ensue and Wembly a distant memory!!

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    Saints vWigan but I would not count Salford out.
    If they can achieve 2nd they will be more than a match for anyone at home

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Watching Salford beating Warrington, I wonder whether Ian Watson should have been considered? What he manages on limited resources is pretty amazing. It’s a pity Salford get such poor support.

Warrington haven’t got a full compliment of players out but Salford have had the better of them all season.
    https://twitter.com/rosshmediaman/st...713462273?s=21

Apparently he was. He can’t have been seriously considered for Rush to go to Australia, you’d think.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    My concern is Woolf has no experience of top level coaching at club level and has won nothing, in fact his sides have lost the big games. So what exactly is he bringing to St Helens?

I wouldn’t normally say this but we need a coach that’s a bit of a b@stard, a Shaun Wane character but not actually Shaun Wane because I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Saints

Nathan Brown was good for Saints because we stopped getting bullied when he was here, he sent us out to banjo Wigan everywhere in the GF and it got right under their skin. He also said that if his playmakers kept getting targeted he’d make sure his team took retribution and wouldn’t rely on refs - players respond to that encouragement, knowing he has their backs

He was pretty much misunderstood at Saints but that’s the type of coach we need next

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

My concern is Woolf has no experience of top level coaching at club level and has won nothing, in fact his sides have lost the big games. So what exactly is he bringing to St Helens?
    Everyone is talking about his work with Tonga but completely ignoring two facts.

He was able to pick some of the best players on the planet so it's hardly surprising they put in a strong performance and secondly he was shown up tactically in the last test against a very average Kiwis side.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Despite last Saturday’s implode, even if JH left the club without a trophy (though finishing first should have a far bigger reward than it currently has) he’s been great for the club & town and id class him as a winner. You can see the love he has for the club.

Learning All The Songs

I don’t know, I’m mainly going off google but from what I’ve read he seems a decent choice. I have the same concerns as you and would prefer an experienced winner but there’s no one in that category who we can appoint.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Everyone is talking about his work with Tonga but completely ignoring two facts.

He was able to pick some of the best players on the planet so it's hardly surprising they put in a strong performance and secondly he was shown up tactically in the last test against a very average Kiwis side.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The New Zealand side that played against New Zealand was definitely not average. Tonga should probably have done better but it was a pretty good New Zealand line up.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I wouldn’t normally say this but we need a coach that’s a bit of a b@stard, a Shaun Wane character but not actually Shaun Wane because I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Saints

Nathan Brown was good for Saints because we stopped getting bullied when he was here, he sent us out to banjo Wigan everywhere in the GF and it got right under their skin. He also said that if his playmakers kept getting targeted he’d make sure his team took retribution and wouldn’t rely on refs - players respond to that encouragement, knowing he has their backs

He was pretty much misunderstood at Saints but that’s the type of coach we need next
    This

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

100%

Love Justin and what he has done for the club. But next manager needs to have a bit of grit about them to push us on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have loved the rugby we have played this season and I have seen some great exciting games, but it counts for sweet FA if we don’t win something that way. Looking at where we are so far I don’t see us winning anything this season. So in reality I would swap a bit of flair for a coach who teaches our team to have more s***housery about them.
    We need a couple of ‘thug players’. ATM we are like a local church team. And frankly I’m sick of it.
    (TBF I’m still fuming from last week so allow me some leeway).
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Thick As Mince

I find it staggering even as a Wigan fan that Holbrook can be questioned on his ability. Whether you win the big one or not he has transformed you as a team. Not just a team but a club. He has brought through players that previously had no chance of getting in and have proved themselves worthy of that chance. Grace, Smith, Costello etc. Its the Wigan model and one that has seen us attain great success. I find it very disingenuous to Holbrook that he can be questioned on his ability and or approach. We need a competitive Saints side as rivals and as a competition. The good Friday games were almost scripted as a Wigan win before his tenure and has made you a force again. If he falls short this season, as funny as it would be to us Wiganers, ultimately he has brought you forward 10 years in the space of 2 and must be commended for that. He leaves with his legacy intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    I find it staggering even as a Wigan fan that Holbrook can be questioned on his ability. Whether you win the big one or not he has transformed you as a team. Not just a team but a club. He has brought through players that previously had no chance of getting in and have proved themselves worthy of that chance. Grace, Smith, Costello etc. Its the Wigan model and one that has seen us attain great success. I find it very disingenuous to Holbrook that he can be questioned on his ability and or approach. We need a competitive Saints side as rivals and as a competition. The good Friday games were almost scripted as a Wigan win before his tenure and has made you a force again. If he falls short this season, as funny as it would be to us Wiganers, ultimately he has brought you forward 10 years in the space of 2 and must be commended for that. He leaves with his legacy intact.
    I think you'll find most reasonable people on here have nothing but praise for Holbrook, he's up there will the very best coaches we've ever had and he's a great bloke too. You don't always get everything you deserve in sport but for me he deserves to win a GF for his efforts

Some people are still just a little raw from Saturday and some might even feel like the jilted spouse because he's leaving us for what is basically a pig in a dress in the Gold Coast Titans

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Although he hasn't won a big one yet, he will leave an incredible win/loss ratio. On top of that he has also been involved if not instrumental, in the club re-engaging with fans from the chasm he inherited.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Although he hasn't won a big one yet, he will leave an incredible win/loss ratio. On top of that he has also been involved if not instrumental, in the club re-engaging with fans from the chasm he inherited.
    I say this with the greatest respect. I want Saints to win either the CC or GF or both some day. If we won a GF with a greater loss ratio than a winning one I would take that all day over winning the league by 16 points and not winning a GF.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

The RFL are encouraging an irrelevant League formula why pull your tripes all season playing entertaining rugby to be the stand out team for nothing when a team like Teflon Warrington can coast through and maybe win everything. It is a testament to the total irrelevance of the RFL who couldn't organise a good sh*t in an constipation ward. Warrington lost AGAIN last night yet could just be saving themselves for the play offs. All this playing three games against teams in the regular rounds is a joke, could you see football doing this where Man City or Chelsea win the league by 16 points only for Southampton to end up Champions. What Saints need is a coach who can pick games to win and have the players up to win those games why do anything else it is irrelevant, the fact that the crowd would drop drastically and income would suffer but it obviously looks to be the answer.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The South Stand

It makes a change for someone from another club to come on at this time and not just try to wind people up but to make a useful contribution. As retro74 says, people are a bit raw at the moment and are particularly easy to wind up.

I’m sure most supporters know full well what Holbrook has achieved and I think some of the angry/disparaging posts are an attempt to somehow stir the team even though any player with any sense wouldn’t read this.

I agree that win or lose in the semifinals/Grand Final his legacy is intact. I just hope that come this time next season we haven’t got a board full of people bemoaning his loss and looking back to his time here. I just hope we get a coach who can build on the fantastic amount he’s achieved.

The decision to go is his. Had he decided to stay I for one would have been delighted.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    The RFL are encouraging an irrelevant League formula why pull your tripes all season playing entertaining rugby to be the stand out team for nothing when a team like Teflon Warrington can coast through and maybe win everything. It is a testament to the total irrelevance of the RFL who couldn't organise a good sh*t in an constipation ward. Warrington lost AGAIN last night yet could just be saving themselves for the play offs. All this playing three games against teams in the regular rounds is a joke, could you see football doing this where Man City or Chelsea win the league by 16 points only for Southampton to end up Champions. What Saints need is a coach who can pick games to win and have the players up to win those games why do anything else it is irrelevant, the fact that the crowd would drop drastically and income would suffer but it obviously looks to be the answer.
    Given Salford’s record this season and the number of Warrington players rested, they are clearly saving themselves for the GF.

On the new coach front, did people notice that Wane is trying to get an NRL post as head coach or assistant?