Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Kristian Woolf New Coach

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Little disappointed. Thought Demetriou would have been the better pick but I trust Rush and the board have got it right following the Cunningham saga. I dont know all that much about this guy and the surname is terrible lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Mike Rush is very naive if he thinks it will be kept confidential so a really daft comment to make but I am not surprised- there are no secrets in sport any more especially in Australia where the game is akin to football here.
    To be honest now is probably the best time to announce it, so now we can get on with the rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    To be honest now is probably the best time to announce it, so now we can get on with the rugby.
    Yep, some time next week for me. Gets sillier and more distracting as the weeks go on otherwise

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by BigKevIro View Post
    Kristain Woolf has won the race to be Saints new head coach. Newcastle Knights assistant.

Announcement soon

@nrlknights
    Cue year of the wolf jokes, let's hope he will be a howling success

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I think we've just got to trust the judgment of Rush on this one. He pulled off a blinder in Holbrook and I've no doubt will have applied a very similar approach in his interview techniques and wil have been looking for a similar kind of coach and person for the role. If Woolf is deemed the best fit then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    As with Holbrook, none of us really has a clue. Let’s hope he turns out to be as good an appointment.
    I agree with both of the above. We know as much about KW as we did JH before he signed let's at least wait until it's confirmed before judging

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Could be wrong here so apologies if I am.

Was Holbrook an assistant to Robinson at Sydney Roosters? Just saying as I think Robinson is the best coach in the game & Holbrook being assistant to him would have taught him a lot.

My opinions on Brown are positive but could this be clouded by him picking up a pot for us? What I did like about Brown is that he moulded a really big aggressive pack & he did give Thompson his chance.

If Woolf is similar in his methods, then we will certainly be looking at a big forward unit but whether the style changes, guess we don't know.
    I'm guessing our playing style will have been brought up during the interview and will have been took into consideration as to how the coach see's things. I must admit, I'd never heard of the bloke before but you would like to think lessons have been learned and due diligence undertaken. A new coach is always going to be a gamble but I'm not overly worried at this point.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Rush has got his head screwed on right. Another aussie, up and coming, coach wanting to get back to NRL after a successful two years in SL....Rush bags himself another little trip to Australia in 2 years

On topic though....depending on how this season pans out, beginning with this weekend, it will be a hard act to follow should we win some Silverware this season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Heard that penny drop from here lol (No not Kevin)

Banned

I'm concerned. Out of the several candidates mooted, this one was the most underwhelming. That his last appointment was assistant to Nathan Brown's failing stint at Newcastle is worrying. Just hope he doesn't have us playing Brown's brand of boring rugby and wrestling.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think that you are right generally, but not in the case of Saints. We Brought in McCrae, Hanley, Millward, Anderson and Potter when we weren't struggling. Plus KC.

Good point (although we were struggling when Hanley took over - inthe latter stages of 97 and throughout 98, we struggled under McRae)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm concerned. Out of the several candidates mooted, this one was the most underwhelming. That his last appointment was assistant to Nathan Brown's failing stint at Newcastle is worrying. Just hope he doesn't have us playing Brown's brand of boring rugby and wrestling.
    Surely it would be better to judge his style of play from teams he has bee head coach of and not assistant? He had the Tonga side playing some great stuff and they took England all the way in our semi final against them.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think that you are right generally, but not in the case of Saints. We Brought in McCrae, Hanley, Millward, Anderson and Potter when we weren't struggling. Plus KC.
    Not sure I agree in some of those cases. Some of those coaches joined when the club was in turmoil. Hanley succeeded McRae after the wheels fell of in dramatic style, this including a home walloping by Wigan 65-12. Likewise Millward was appointed after Hanley had a battle with the board, we were tonked by Melbourne and dumped out of the Challenge Cup and had several members of the playing squad unsettled by bad signings and rumours of players being offered to other teams. Anderson inherited a side that was settled and winning, but again it was in controversial circumstances.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

My concern is that he’s an Aussie. They don’t always embrace the club, its culture and history. They treat it like nothing more than a 9-5 job and don’t particularly enjoy being over here in England. We got lucky with Holbrook. He’s a friendly, honest, approachable bloke who wanted to prove himself, embraced the club and town and was a good fit for what we needed following Cunningham.

As Webbo writes above. Im also concerned that he’s spent time under Nathan Brown.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Let's be honest how many had heard of Holbrook when he signed with us. If true let's give the bloke a chance.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    My concern is that he’s an Aussie. They don’t always embrace the club, its culture and history. They treat it like nothing more than a 9-5 job and don’t particularly enjoy being over here in England. We got lucky with Holbrook. He’s a friendly, honest, approachable bloke who wanted to prove himself, embraced the club and town and was a good fit for what we needed following Cunningham.

As Webbo writes above. Im also concerned that he’s spent time under Nathan Brown.

Wow - where’s Ian Watson when we need him !

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post

I think Mike Rush would’ve seen it as a positive that Woolfe has spent time working with Nathen Brown. Brown was hugely respected at the club and let’s be honest re-built a club that had declined considerably post Anderson. Also from what I heard from the playing group at the time they all loved Brown as a coach and as a person.

I probably wouldn’t want Nathan Brown back as our coach at this point as we need a coach to carry on with a successful team and Browns major strengths are re-building clubs in decline. I’m hoping that our next coach whoever it ends up being doesn’t come in and try to change things but rather keeps things ticking over with a few tweeks hear and there of his own ideas.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

I expect lots of ironic 'It's always our year' choruses from the West

Learning All The Songs

I'd have gone for Salfords coach but on GMR it said he was ambitious to coach in Os too.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Obviously there’s a lot of negativity around Holbrook leaving, he’s been brilliant and turned the club around. In an ideal world he’d stay, but again that would have only been for another couple of years.

We all wish Holbrook the best, I’d love him to do well at Gold Coast which a lot of the Aussies think is a near impossible job.

I’m looking forward to the rest of this year with Holbrook and Saints and will also look forward to a new coach in 2020. Holbrook has laid a great platform to continue building on. We’ve got a great squad with some fantastic young players coming through and as a club it seems we’ve learnt from our lessons in recent seasons (poor signings, KC era). I’m confident that the club will have recruited the right coach for the job and if it is Woolf will look forward to seeing how we go next year and what new ideas he brings in.

What a pessimistic lot, give some credit to Rush he knows what is wanted and hopefully he has got it.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Obviously there’s a lot of negativity around Holbrook leaving, he’s been brilliant and turned the club around. In an ideal world he’d stay, but again that would have only been for another couple of years.

We all wish Holbrook the best, I’d love him to do well at Gold Coast which a lot of the Aussies think is a near impossible job.

I’m looking forward to the rest of this year with Holbrook and Saints and will also look forward to a new coach in 2020. Holbrook has laid a great platform to continue building on. We’ve got a great squad with some fantastic young players coming through and as a club it seems we’ve learnt from our lessons in recent seasons (poor signings, KC era). I’m confident that the club will have recruited the right coach for the job and if it is Woolf will look forward to seeing how we go next year and what new ideas he brings in.
    Saved me writing a post out, pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Will Saints announce this with a plane flying round Wembley - "The Woolf is waiting"?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I think after the experience we had with KC, personality would/should have featured heavily in the recruitment process. I don't think that Rushy would get his fingers burned again. You would also think that JH must know Woolfe and would have been asked for an opinion. While I am not happy that JH is leaving we need to give the new guy a chance. He has everything going for him, basically a young squad with a few old heads, and all are performing at a level above anyone else. Add in the youth set up and this guy should have it made.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Not sure I agree in some of those cases. Some of those coaches joined when the club was in turmoil. Hanley succeeded McRae after the wheels fell of in dramatic style, this including a home walloping by Wigan 65-12. Likewise Millward was appointed after Hanley had a battle with the board, we were tonked by Melbourne and dumped out of the Challenge Cup and had several members of the playing squad unsettled by bad signings and rumours of players being offered to other teams. Anderson inherited a side that was settled and winning, but again it was in controversial circumstances.
    I agree with you about the circumstances, under which those coaches came in. but I think they took over a team that was generally winning, not struggling , which was the original point. However it may be my rose tinted specs that thinks we were no struggling, I have not looked at any records.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Gareth Walker on Twitter is saying we haven't offered the job to anyone yet but Woolf is one of the candidates

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Most underwhelming yet he is head coach of an international side bordering tier 1. Must take a fair bit to float your boat!