Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Kristian Woolf New Coach

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Who are they going to replace?
    Dave , I would love Paulo to be one but I think he still has 2 years on his contract left .
    If Saints have a weakness it is we only have one really big lad ie . Big Al .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Dave , I would love Paulo to be one but I think he still has 2 years on his contract left .
    If Saints have a weakness it is we only have one really big lad ie . Big Al .
    Yeah, I forgot about him. And you're right, it would be nice to have a big lump to bring off the bench.

A big left centre to support Grace. I have been vocal about Grave and slightly negative towards him bit having percy as his centre certainly dont help him. Our left flank is our weak point both in attack and defence. So id like so id like an aggressive big Mal type centre on the left.

Our pack is still the best going into 2020 season . No issues with our pack at all !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    A big left centre to support Grace. I have been vocal about Grave and slightly negative towards him bit having percy as his centre certainly dont help him. Our left flank is our weak point both in attack and defence. So id like so id like an aggressive big Mal type centre on the left.

Our pack is still the best going into 2020 season . No issues with our pack at all !
    Where/what do you see happening with Percival in that case? I do agree with you to a point, I've always thought Precival and Makinson would be better together. I certainly don't think it's an issue but it's worth discussing while we don't have much to chat about.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

You have to take a winger centre as a partnership, rather than as individuals.
    Percival is one of very few class centres in the GB game.

Try in the GF is proof enough.

He scores plenty himself and offers a fair few to Grace too.

Unless other team start to improve dramatically I can see further developments for youth and some utility cover in the 3 quarters given that swift has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    You have to take a winger centre as a partnership, rather than as individuals.
    Percival is one of very few class centres in the GB game.

Try in the GF is proof enough.

He scores plenty himself and offers a fair few to Grace too.

Unless other team start to improve dramatically I can see further developments for youth and some utility cover in the 3 quarters given that swift has gone.
    I have to agree with your point that a centre winger partnership is vital. Like i said , in my view our left flank is our weak spot. Percy and Grace are prone mistake makers. Percy cant pass left which is a major problem for a left centre. He is very often out of position in defence and gives Grace almost zero quality ball. Grace , im sure with a top centre could find himself with more space hence my view.

Id be happy if Percy was replaced by a bigger , aggressive ‘ international’ centre ( from Tonga)!

Got A Season Ticket

I have to agree with your point that a centre winger partnership is vital. Like i said , in my view our left flank is our weak spot. Percy and Grace are prone mistake makers. Percy cant pass left which is a major problem for a left centre. He is very often out of position in defence and gives Grace almost zero quality ball. Grace , im sure with a top centre could find himself with more space hence my view.

Id be happy if Percy was replaced by a bigger , aggressive ‘ international’ centre ( from Tonga)!
    Wow!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Who do you have in mind?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got to disagree with you there. Percival is the best centre in super league. You'd never get the quality from the NRL to replace him. Anyone at his level is contracted to club down under. And well paid.

Grace needs to go back on the angle at times & offer him the inside ball

Got A Season Ticket

Wait! Replace Percy? That's mad. He and Grace scored 34 tries between them last season (12/22). His defence is much better than Naiqama's IMHO.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    Wait! Replace Percy? That's mad. He and Grace scored 34 tries between them last season (12/22). His defence is much better than Naiqama's IMHO.
    Percival biggest improvement last season was his defence only 27 missed tackles one of the lowest in the team whilst he is almost our best player for tackle busts with 137.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Got to disagree with you there. Percival is the best centre in super league. You'd never get the quality from the NRL to replace him. Anyone at his level is contracted to club down under. And well paid.

Grace needs to go back on the angle at times & offer him the inside ball
    Percival is a really good centre. If he is the best then that's a reflection on current quality in SL.

Stats say a great left edge. Lots of trys. I wonder how
    many actually involved Grace and Percival in tandem.

They are certainly not a Newlove and Sullivan combo.

Perhaps work for both of them to do in close season as a combo.

However more responsibility on Percival to provide better service.
    He also overplays the crabbing across from left to right thing.

Fair enough to you all . However i stick with my opinion of Percy. That being , an average centre , has his moments of class albeit, his skill set limits his ability and we could do better as could Grace . I close my case and respect your views

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Fair enough to you all . However i stick with my opinion of Percy. That being , an average centre , has his moments of class albeit, his skill set limits his ability and we could do better as could Grace . I close my case and respect your views
    I think Average is a bit harsh especially in Superleague terms he's probably in the top 3 last season, in fact I can't think of any centres with an all round skill set game to oust him out of the top 3. One example is Hurrell a good attacking centre to his winger but is full of errors and can't tackle, he has the similar number of tackle busts and clean breaks but twice the amount of missed tackle and errors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ea5...XSNSh5NHbrL2_o
    Last edited by STIDDY; 12th November 2019 at 10:09.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I must be living in a parallel universe

This might be heretical but I sometimes wonder if Percy might make a good second rower, maybe later in his career. He's as tough as old boots, he runs hard and he hits like a back rower. I'm perfectly happy with him as a centre, though. His game has its flaws but I think he's a cracking player, all told.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    This might be heretical but I sometimes wonder if Percy might make a good second rower, maybe later in his career. He's as tough as old boots, he runs hard and he hits like a back rower. I'm perfectly happy with him as a centre, though. His game has its flaws but I think he's a cracking player, all told.
    I can see your thinking. He's not a massive lad but he's very lean and strong so I don't think adding another stone would be a problem.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    OK Bennett.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I've criticised Percival a few times for not passing and keep coming inside, but if you take his all round game I wouldn't swap him for any centre in SL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by belgian saint View Post
    ok bennett.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Who do you have in mind?
    BMM is a Tonga centre?? No thanks

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I've criticised Percival a few times for not passing and keep coming inside, but if you take his all round game I wouldn't swap him for any centre in SL.
    Yeah same here,i can't name anyone i would want to replace him with.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Yeah same here,i can't name anyone i would want to replace him with.
    Agreed and I think he was one player who stood up to be counted in the back end of the season, leading the way for others. He took the ball in as strong as any of the forwards

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

That try in the grand final though

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I think in the '18 season you could possibly say his distribution to Grace was sometimes a bit off. But this season, the two of them have worked exceptionally well together. I wouldn't swap Percy for any one else right now.

The new coach seems like a tough dude. Something Saints need to go see us , hopefully, defend our title successfully and possibly add the CC and WCC to the trophy cabinet