Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Kristian Woolf New Coach

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Was that the primary reason Saints lost on Saturday? If you think it is I'd suggest you are wrong.
    To be fair - I believe we missed Matty Lees on Saturday. Him (and Bentley, in fact) have got under the skin of the Warrington forwards the last two times we've played them. Our forwards are too nice and respected, IMO.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    To be fair - I believe we missed Matty Lees on Saturday. Him (and Bentley, in fact) have got under the skin of the Warrington forwards the last two times we've played them. Our forwards are too nice and respected, IMO.
    Agreed.

Ive said it before.
    We dont have any niggle or a Bit of gamesmanship. We try to play champagne rugby in important games. When what we need is to strip it back, play "boring" for a time and get under the skin of the opposition.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Was that the primary reason Saints lost on Saturday? If you think it is I'd suggest you are wrong.
    Read my tweet correctly. I said ‘in part’ we lose games especially important one off games because we in simple form are too nice. We lost for several reasons on Saturday. But certainly one reason which contributed was our softness, niceness etc. The two players who might come near are Ashworth and Lees and I hope they develop that side of their game, but I get the impression Saints don’t like that side of them. I do.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Read my tweet correctly. I said ‘in part’ we lose games especially important one off games because we in simple form are too nice. We lost for several reasons on Saturday. But certainly one reason which contributed was our softness, niceness etc. The two players who might come near are Ashworth and Lees and I hope they develop that side of their game, but I get the impression Saints don’t like that side of them. I do.
    Ok fair enough.
    I'd like to see a quantification of 'softness'/'niceness' as there are different interpretations of this. For example people seem to think it implies a level of dirtiness and I'm not sure I'd buy that. It puts us at risks of penalties and ill discipline and effectively adds to the error count. It also takes focus off doing the things we do best.
    Where I think there is more of a point is if its translated into being able to be pragamatic, play the match situation without panicking and ••••ing down our leg. That second half was awful and the epitomy of soft. The team didn't stay patient and mentally disintegrated. We tried ot play too much speed rugby when some good old fashioned hard drives and a kick were needed. I'll also concede we have too many passenger players - Paulo the prime example, but Peyroux and Taia could sometimes do with rolling up their sleeves and getting involved in some old fashioned leg work when situation demands.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    I don’t think Lees would have made any difference, plus he’s a terrible tackler and in that heat it would’ve affected him even more. Peyroux seems to be spending more time stretching his legs, while the backs are taking the ball up. Hopefully next season if we have a few players out before a final then we can give them a run out in the reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I don’t think Lees would have made any difference, plus he’s a terrible tackler and in that heat it would’ve affected him even more. Peyroux seems to be spending more time stretching his legs, while the backs are taking the ball up. Hopefully next season if we have a few players out before a final then we can give them a run out in the reserves.
    I have to disagree about Lees, he puts the fear of god into Hill.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Maybe re-watch our games against them this season then report back if Lees was a loss for us. It's no coincidence they kicked on when he should have been coming on for us.

Ok fair enough.
    I'd like to see a quantification of 'softness'/'niceness' as there are different interpretations of this. For example people seem to think it implies a level of dirtiness and I'm not sure I'd buy that. It puts us at risks of penalties and ill discipline and effectively adds to the error count. It also takes focus off doing the things we do best.
    Where I think there is more of a point is if its translated into being able to be pragamatic, play the match situation without panicking and ••••ing down our leg. That second half was awful and the epitomy of soft. The team didn't stay patient and mentally disintegrated. We tried ot play too much speed rugby when some good old fashioned hard drives and a kick were needed. I'll also concede we have too many passenger players - Paulo the prime example, but Peyroux and Taia could sometimes do with rolling up their sleeves and getting involved in some old fashioned leg work when situation demands.
    Can’t disagree with most, but going back to being soft, or more specific not being grubby and clever. Wire examples on Saturday. Hill went off for a head assessment watch it back he did not have a head issue, it was IMO a designed tactic to get him a breather. At least 4 of Wires ball carriers in the 2nd half when we were chasing the game went down with cramp which stopped the play as they had the ball and allowed their players to reset. Peyroux went down back field the game continued. Look I don’t want a cheating team, but the reality is to win you have to play smart take the rules to the limits. Look at Akauola he leads with his shoulder in almost every run. It’s legal, it’s not liked and coaches complain. Why until it’s made illegal why is not Al doing it or Tommo? ‘It’s not cricket’ I guess they will say. F**k cricket it’s about winning. Unless we change our ways from Friday onwards forget a GF win or even an appearance in it. Oh we will probably win at a canter on Friday and hear the crap about getting back after the CCF defeat, but come semi day. We will say whoever we play carry on an bully the crap out of us.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I'd agree with that, the difference between us so far this year for me has been our substitutes. We've had lads like lees coming on and having a wow of a game and we've turned the screw in that quarter. You'd expect us to go down a gear when Thompson and Walmsley go off. Has that been wire using their best players to combat those 2 starting then when we all change our lads have gone up a gear and Warrington couldn't cope?
    I wrote that August 3rd and it looked true to me. We definitely missed him coming on in that quarter, we've pulled away from them in that part of the game. Until we played them at Wembley that is.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

When we have a sealed the deal, I expect. There is a lot more water to go under the bridge before the club can safely say its got its new coach, especially with Woolf now interim head coach at the Knights. Will be inetersting to see what happens if the Knights start winning games again.
    If we haven't 'signed him I can see Shaun Edwards written all over this one.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If we haven't 'signed him I can see Shaun Edwards written all over this one.
    For me we should have delayed the departure of Sean Long until we had our preferred NRL coach, if that was exhausted then we could have offered Sean Long a trial 12 month contract with a possible extension if he proves his worthiness. When I heard Longy speak a couple of times early this season I was quite surprised with his technical clarity and tactical game vision it was nothing like that off the cuff maverick style of play we saw on the pitch.

Banned

Agree. Lees' problem isn't down to the fact he can't tackle, it's that he bases so much of his defence on physicality and smashing people that he misses tackles from time to time. There's a huge distinction between the two in my opinion. He is also important to our speed game in that he is a fast carrier of the ball who takes the ball into impact at speed and finds his feet quickly which provides space and time for the backs.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I have to disagree about Lees, he puts the fear of god into Hill.
    Absolutely right there RJM , we certainly missed his aggression , with another prop with aggression alongside Lee's it would have been a totally different game .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    For me we should have delayed the departure of Sean Long until we had our preferred NRL coach, if that was exhausted then we could have offered Sean Long a trial 12 month contract with a possible extension if he proves his worthiness. When I heard Longy speak a couple of times early this season I was quite surprised with his technical clarity and tactical game vision it was nothing like that off the cuff maverick style of play we saw on the pitch.
    I have only heard him as a pundit on TV. But, after some of his clowning around as a player, he surprised me with his tactical awareness.

Whether Lees would have made a difference I don't know. But someone with his frame you would expect to feel the heat less than the likes of Thompson, or Ashworth particularly.
    I think his missed tackles are down to coming out of defence so fast, he usually puts pressure on his opponent, either delaying him or causing an error.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Whether Lees would have made a difference I don't know. But someone with his frame you would expect to feel the heat less than the likes of Thompson, or Ashworth particularly.
    I think his missed tackles are down to coming out of defence so fast, he usually puts pressure on his opponent, either delaying him or causing an error.
    He misses sometimes but puts the oppo right off, and they get hit by the next player. If he doesn’t miss its BANG!

The oppo is then watching for it next time and can take their eye off the ball (figuratively and literally) which gives us the advantage.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Noooobie

Let’s gets back to the original post!!! Any news on who the new coach will be for 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    Let’s gets back to the original post!!! Any news on who the new coach will be for 2020.
    Nope

Banned

Seems to look like Woolf is firming up by the minute.
    Will fit in well with previous experience of losing grand finals. In seriousness Im a bit underwhelmed on this one.
    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...nd-gossip-178/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Seems to look like Woolf is firming up by the minute.
    Will fit in well with previous experience of losing grand finals. In seriousness Im a bit underwhelmed on this one.
    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...nd-gossip-178/
    We won't know obviously how it's going to work out but in the light of last weekend I have changed my mind on the next appointment.

I think we need an experienced coach to work with this group of players, I think Holbrook has been brilliant for the club but our failings in the last 2 years could be down to his inexperience. I think we need someone to instill a toughness to this team.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Buddy; 28th August 2019 at 22:59.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    We won't know obviously how it's going to work out but in the light of last weekend I have changed my mind on the next appointment.

I think we need an experienced coach to work with this group of players, I think Holbrook has been brilliant for the club but our failings in the last 2 years could be down to his inexperience.

Exactly. Surely the club need a wise old head with a track record of winning big games and the self confidence that goes with it; not a comparative rookie who has also failed in Grand Finals.
    Its disappointing the club are looking at this option. Surely there are better alternatives than a novice who has won no major trophies and will want to disappear back home in 18-25 months.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Exactly. Surely the club need a wise old head with a track record of winning big games and the self confidence that goes with it; not a comparative rookie who has also failed in Grand Finals.
    Its disappointing the club are looking at this option. Surely there are better alternatives than a novice who has won no major trophies and will want to disappear back home in 18-25 months.
    I suppose the question is who is available that can deliver that success for us? Most of the great NRL coaches are in positions and the English ones you're talking McDermott or Wane which would go down like a lead balloon here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I suppose the question is who is available that can deliver that success for us? Most of the great NRL coaches are in positions and the English ones you're talking McDermott or Wane which would go down like a lead balloon here.
    It won't happen but Ellery Hanley would suit that role

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I admit I don't have a name to suggest but to be fair people are paid for doing that job so it's not necessarily relevant.

I've been doing a lot of thinking back to the "bridesmaid" days and I think the comparisons are there. Talented players who were within a hairs breadth of winning the league but failed at the last hurdle. Things only changed when we appointed a good man manager in Eric Hughes and brought in players like Nickle, Sullivan (both following the '91 cup defeat) Joynt and Goulding.

I think we need an experienced man at the helm and some leaders in the squad. Easier to ask for than get but if we want to win big games we need both.

Let inexperienced coaches learn on someone else time

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I admit I don't have a name to suggest but to be fair people are paid for doing that job so it's not necessarily relevant.

I've been doing a lot of thinking back to the "bridesmaid" days and I think the comparisons are there. Talented players who were within a hairs breadth of winning the league but failed at the last hurdle. Things only changed when we appointed a good man manager in Eric Hughes and brought in players like Nickle, Sullivan (both following the '91 cup defeat) Joynt and Goulding.

I think we need an experienced man at the helm and some leaders in the squad. Easier to ask for than get but if we want to win big games we need both.

Let inexperienced coaches learn on someone else time

Was Price an inexperienced assistant in the NRL before he was recruited by Warrington? This is a genuine question because I don’t really follow the NRL.

I can’t think of any experienced coaches in this country who may be available. Wane did an interview with BBC North West and hinted that he might fancy a return to Rugby League. A lot of our fans would be most unhappy with him and a lot of Wigan fans would be posting about “agent Wane” after any Saints’ loss.

We definitely need some leaders with experience of winning big games.