Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It’s Hicks..For Wembley

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Thought it was back footbwith the ref
    players of the side not in possession other than the player taking part in the play-the-ball and the acting half back are out of play if they fail to retire ten (10) metres from the point at which the ball is played or to their own goal lines. Players of the side in possession other than the player taking part in the play-the-ball and the acting halfback must retire behind their players involved in the play-the-ball or to their own goal line.
    (From RFL rule book)

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    players of the side not in possession other than the player taking part in the play-the-ball and the acting half back are out of play if they fail to retire ten (10) metres from the point at which the ball is played or to their own goal lines. Players of the side in possession other than the player taking part in the play-the-ball and the acting halfback must retire behind their players involved in the play-the-ball or to their own goal line.
    (From RFL rule book)
    The goal line one is messy, as I thought the two markers at the ptb was so an advantage was not given to the defending side as the attacking side had two players caught up in the play. On the goal line all defenders grab at the acting half looking to knock the ball out even players two defenders wide from the ptb. I remember Jamie Peacock knocking a ball out of a Wigan attackers hands as he was retreating to the goal line defence in semi-final play off, I think Leeds then won by a couple of points.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    Glad your not reffing. It's ten metres not ten yards (almost 10% difference).
    Wow when did that happen = "metres" ?? , when did that happen? , been locked up for too long , OTP judge , nasty piece of work .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I always thought most of the time its 12 metes and they are allowed to encroach 2 metres metres when they are playing the ball. Its a big wide open pitch at Wembley and should imagine come the second half the fitter more mobile team will find gaps.
    I think it’s a bit of a myth this. It’s actually smaller than the Halliwell Jones I believe, for example

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by CumbrianSaint View Post
    It is 10m. Most referees stand at 12 metres so they can see better. I think this is where the fans get confused and start shouting 'get them onside', as the players are standing in front of the ref. Most of the time the players are onside and are at 10m.

A few times I have explained to fans behind me that the ref stands at 12m and they didnt have a clue. All they were looking at was that the players were standing in front of the ref and assumed that they were offside. They now stop shouting offside every 2 minutes !

Noooobie

Superb post Cumbrian........but I don’t think they,ll ever stop shouting offside every two minutes haha enjoy yer day......COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think it’s a bit of a myth this. It’s actually smaller than the Halliwell Jones I believe, for example
    It's 7 metres wider than the Halliwell Jones, but I don't know if the narrow it for Rugby?

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    He's the best we have in my opinion
    Then the game is f@?ked.

Got A Season Ticket

On reflections the RFL should never have appointed Hicks to that game.

It's often said that Perception is Reality. The perception is that the Death Threats made against him caused him to disallow a try and not use the Video Referee.

Now I'll start by saying that Death Threats are abhorrent. No-one should be subject to Death Threats or any other form of abuse at any time. The individual making those threats should be banned from the sport for life.

Now it's entirely possible that the death threats had no influence on his decision, but it's also possible they did. In the build up to the game, it'd been constantly talked about. Hicks had made numerous media appearances to talk about it. It'd probably also been playing on his mind and the mind of his family. I think Hicks handled it very professionally, and it may be that he had no intention at all of allowing his decision making to be influenced by the threats. But high level athletes (and that's exactly what professional referees are) do 90%+ of their actions and reactions on the field using their sub-conscious brain (that's why top-level athletes seem to be able to play the game faster).

Can we say for certain that, in that split-second decision when he had to decide, Try, No-Try or Video Referee, that somewhere deep down in his sub-conscious thought process that a small part of his brain didn't think "what if I make a decision that goes against Warrington, will the threats be repeated?".

Now even if his sub-conscious decision making was unaffected. The perception remains that it could've been. As soon as the story about death threats broke, the match officials department should've had removed Hicks from consideration. For his benefit, for the games benefit.

There's plenty of precedent for this in sport. For those of you who follow American Football, a Referee made a controversial (if correct) decision to overturn a crucial decision in a quarter final (the Tuck Rule game). The team that was trailing at the time came back and won the game. That Referee (Walt Coleman) was subject to a huge amount of abuse (including Death threats), he continued officiating in the NFL for another 18 years, including multiple SuperBowls. But he never again refereed a game for the team that lost the game that day.
    Now I'm not saying Hicks should never Referee a Warrington game again, but there’s no way he should have been refereeing the team involved so soon afterwards, and certainly not in such a big game where the winner takes all.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Superblue View Post
    All fairly positive about the Hicks appointment before the game.

Hindsight and all that

A mistake in the first three minutes didn't lose us the game

Starting A Programme Collection

Hindsight and all that

It certainly didn’t help though!

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Hicks ?? .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

He’s not been demoted from refereeing SL games this weekend as he’s doing London v Leeds - a very important game for both sides so he has not been held to account at all for last week.

Rugby league has no narrative if Saints run away with the final, there's no news to speak of. They needed a ref that would favour the "underdog" and give them everything. It may be for the greater good as the games dying, the ground was less than half full, very few Warrington fans attended. It didn't even feel like a cup final around the ground

Some might even suggest that the "death threat" story was a cleverly managed PR stunt to create some sympathy for refs just in case one of them threw in the most one sided performance of all time in a big final

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Rugby league has no narrative if Saints run away with the final, there's no news to speak of. They needed a ref that would favour the "underdog" and give them everything. It may be for the greater good as the games dying, the ground was less than half full, very few Warrington fans attended. It didn't even feel like a cup final around the ground

Some might even suggest that the "death threat" story was a cleverly managed PR stunt to create some sympathy for refs just in case one of them threw in the most one sided performance of all time in a big final
    Less than half full? Is the capacity 124k?

Game is dying? Ridiculous, it's a great game and many people play and enjoy the game. People have been saying it's dying for over hundred years yet it's still here

PR stunt in case a ref makes a mistake, many people claim the RFL is useless but they managed to get someone to post on social media a death threat in case a ref has a bad game?

The atmosphere was brilliant, everyone I spoke to enjoyed the day, the ground the occasion of not the result

The biggest problem with the game is pretend fans continually slagging it off. If we could get rid of all these so called fans we could improve the image using positive proper fans.

If I was considering putting money into the sport and I read all the negative comments from their own fans that the sport is this and that I would walk away

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Hindsight and all that

Across the whole spectrum of controlling the game he was and still is the best ref we've got. What did cross my mind though was there some kind of discussion with the RFL and Ganson to make the game a closer spectical. Saints were red hot favourites to win and by a reasonable margin Jamie Peacock was in the same mind frame and predicted a win by 30 pts.

The 10 metre and marker rule was not applied to make this a tight closer affair, above retro74 is also seeing it from a similar perspective, I don't think you can dismiss the situation and thats why we've raised questions.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Across the whole spectrum of controlling the game he was and still is the best ref we've got. What did cross my mind though was there some kind of discussion with the RFL and Ganson to make the game a closer spectical. Saints were red hot favourites to win and by a reasonable margin Jamie Peacock was in the same mind frame and predicted a win by 30 pts.

The 10 metre and marker rule was not applied to make this a tight closer affair, above retro74 is also seeing it from a similar perspective, I don't think you can dismiss the situation and thats why we've raised questions.
    Just seems ridiculously far fetched to me. I've been involved in the game for many years and have never thought that or had any conversations with people involved in the game about these things

Massive red herring and very unhelpful imo

Less than half full? Is the capacity 124k?

Game is dying? Ridiculous, it's a great game and many people play and enjoy the game. People have been saying it's dying for over hundred years yet it's still here

PR stunt in case a ref makes a mistake, many people claim the RFL is useless but they managed to get someone to post on social media a death threat in case a ref has a bad game?

The atmosphere was brilliant, everyone I spoke to enjoyed the day, the ground the occasion of not the result

The biggest problem with the game is pretend fans continually slagging it off. If we could get rid of all these so called fans we could improve the image using positive proper fans.

If I was considering putting money into the sport and I read all the negative comments from their own fans that the sport is this and that I would walk away
    CHOMP! got me a marlin! I knew you'd bite, you always do

62k tickets sold, lots to resellers. Lot's of people didn't turn up hence the empty top tier

The "death threat" was from May, why was it dragged out 2 weeks before the final? I don't believe it is a PR stunt to be honest, I just said it because it could be and also because some people lose their minds over things like that and freak out

It's not beyond the realms of possibly for the people that run rugby league to want more people to watch it and therefore grow the game. Why not try and make it more exciting? why not introduce a screen so you can keep games nice and close by favouring the underdog when it comes to close decisions

It's not that serious a sport on a national level so TV can largely do what they want with it

Just seems ridiculously far fetched to me. I've been involved in the game for many years and have never thought that or had any conversations with people involved in the game about these things

Massive red herring and very unhelpful imo
    I agree there’s no conspiracy here. I do think that the RFL set themselves up for a fall though appointing Hicks as the referee considering all that had gone on with death threats. It leaves them wide open for criticism and some of Hicks decisions have helped to aid those theories.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    I agree there’s no conspiracy here. I do think that the RFL set themselves up for a fall though appointing Hicks as the referee considering all that had gone on with death threats. It leaves them wide open for criticism and some of Hicks decisions have helped to aid those theories.
    In hindsight it was an error appointing him, I didn't see any issue at the time

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    CHOMP! got me a marlin! I knew you'd bite, you always do

62k tickets sold, lots to resellers. Lot's of people didn't turn up hence the empty top tier

The "death threat" was from May, why was it dragged out 2 weeks before the final? I don't believe it is a PR stunt to be honest, I just said it because it could be and also because some people lose their minds over things like that and freak out

It's not beyond the realms of possibly for the people that run rugby league to want more people to watch it and therefore grow the game. Why not try and make it more exciting? why not introduce a screen so you can keep games nice and close by favouring the underdog when it comes to close decisions

It's not that serious a sport on a national level so TV can largely do what they want with it

I responded to your post, if that's biting then everyone bites when they respond!

It is beyond the realms of possibility, your conspiracy theorys are total rubbish, yet you continue to say them in the hope that repetition somehow gives them credibility, thankfully most people think your comments are nothing more than speculative gossip

Banned

This chopper tonight is just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    This chopper tonight is just as bad.
    Just put it on to see the Salford lad penalised for starting a bit of bother, by having his head pile drived into the floor, missed by ref, two touch judges and video ref obviously

I just wonder how the video ref will be abused, so sorry!! Be used tomorrow??? After watching this Sal v Wire tonight???

Went to the Video ref tonight to confirm who won the toss.