Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It’s Hicks..For Wembley

Default It’s Hicks..For Wembley

Discuss
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Great news!

I’m sure his death threats from Warrington fans wont affect him.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

The only one who keeps his composure under players pressure, he is a lot better now than a few seasons ago. His weakness however is judging those "ball strips" but if he makes an error equal to both sides then fair enough.

Banned

It's not Thaler, so there's a positive.

But with the death threats, I hope he takes a "Give me death threats, would you, scumbags?" attitude rather than a "Oh no, better not seem biased against Warrington after *that episode* last time"

Upside
    Non Members

I hope the players respect him and let him officiate the game without making it harder for him

Play acting, mouthing off, trying to win penalties, feigning injury, coaches pressuring him all will make it more difficult to have an effective game

I hope fans realise it's a big game for him also, he is the only ref and isn't trying to make mistakes and focus on the game rather than th ref

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I hope the players resp cut him and let him officiate the game without making it harder for him

Play acting, mouthing off, trying to win penalties, feigning injury, coaches pressuring him all will make it more difficult to have an effective game

You do remember Chris Hill plays for Warrington, don't you?

I might be accused of rose-tinteds here, but I don't see Saints players perennially trying to con decisions, play cheapshot 'grub' rugby, overly influence the ref, etc. I think Holbrook is a really straight-up bloke who doesn't want to see the game played like that.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    You do remember Chris Hill plays for Warrington, don't you?

I might be accused of rose-tinteds here, but I don't see Saints players perennially trying to con decisions, play cheapshot 'grub' rugby, overly influence the ref, etc. I think Holbrook is a really straight-up bloke who doesn't want to see the game played like that.

Spot on mate.

Learning All The Songs

In fairness I sometimes wonder whether LMS is about to take off with all the arm flapping he does at referees, plus he got sin-binned for being a tool with one not so long back. Maybe he just has really sweaty armpits and he's trying to cool down...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

He's the best we have in my opinion
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    In fairness I sometimes wonder whether LMS is about to take off with all the arm flapping he does at referees, plus he got sin-binned for being a tool with one not so long back. Maybe he just has really sweaty armpits and he's trying to cool down...
    LMS does it in a comical way though with his amateur dramatics very rarely see him go up to the ref in an angry aggressive way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    LMS does it in a comical way though with his amateur dramatics very rarely see him go up to the ref in an angry aggressive way.
    That's true.

I think it was Alan Rooney who said he once asked a Saints player what Louis was like in person, and was told it was like having a 12 year old around the dressing room the way he was always buzzing around. Somehow, that sounds like a perfect description.

Banned

That's true.

I think it was Alan Rooney who said he once asked a Saints player what Louis was like in person, and was told it was like having a 12 year old around the dressing room the way he was always buzzing around. Somehow, that sounds like a perfect description.
    He’s actually a really nice bloke away from rugby, not how I pictured him at all to be honest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    He’s actually a really nice bloke away from rugby, not how I pictured him at all to be honest.
    Yeah, I know. Rooney wasn't being nasty, rather the opposite. It's Louis' childlike exuberance. Lovely guy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    He's the best we have in my opinion
    By Far the the most consistent so thank the lord for that and his Saints LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BigKevIro View Post
    By Far the the most consistent so thank the lord for that and his Saints LOL
    According to Louie he will be on his best behaviour he's got 75 relatives + friends going to the game.

Noooobie

There's an old Jock Stein quote ....

"If you're good enough, the referee doesn't matter."

We have to control what we can control. Play our game, be 20 points better than them, if a marginal decision gifts them 6 points, it doesn't alter the overall result.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

According to Louie he will be on his best behaviour he's got 75 relatives + friends going to the game.
    On Instagram his post said 99 tickets and mine ain't one...the Cockneys whole crew are going!!

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Pleased it's Hick, the best this season by far.

Absolutely delighted it's not Ben "The game's all about me" Thaler.......
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

I just hope he's been looking at his "tape measure" and remembers what 10 yards looks like .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    I just hope he's been looking at his "tape measure" and remembers what 10 yards looks like .
    Glad your not reffing. It's ten metres not ten yards (almost 10% difference).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    Glad your not reffing. It's ten metres not ten yards (almost 10% difference).
    Does the 10% matter when the ref only gets them back 8 anyway? Smart arse.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I always thought most of the time its 12 metes and they are allowed to encroach 2 metres metres when they are playing the ball. Its a big wide open pitch at Wembley and should imagine come the second half the fitter more mobile team will find gaps.

Noooobie

I always thought most of the time its 12 metes and they are allowed to encroach 2 metres metres when they are playing the ball. Its a big wide open pitch at Wembley and should imagine come the second half the fitter more mobile team will find gaps.
    It is 10m. Most referees stand at 12 metres so they can see better. I think this is where the fans get confused and start shouting 'get them onside', as the players are standing in front of the ref. Most of the time the players are onside and are at 10m.

A few times I have explained to fans behind me that the ref stands at 12m and they didnt have a clue. All they were looking at was that the players were standing in front of the ref and assumed that they were offside. They now stop shouting offside every 2 minutes !

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by CumbrianSaint View Post
    It is 10m. Most referees stand at 12 metres so they can see better. I think this is where the fans get confused and start shouting 'get them onside', as the players are standing in front of the ref. Most of the time the players are onside and are at 10m.

A few times I have explained to fans behind me that the ref stands at 12m and they didnt have a clue. All they were looking at was that the players were standing in front of the ref and assumed that they were offside. They now stop shouting offside every 2 minutes !
    Thought it was back footbwith the ref

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Of course it matters.