Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wembley Pubs

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Any threads not de-railed on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    There's plenty of choice for both food and drink in that area but if you like real ale, try The Euston Tap in the old gatehouse at the front of the station. The other side is a Cider house! I don't think they do much food there though.
    Drummond Street, running off the side of the station is famous for curry outlets. Many will do lunch deals if that sort of food suits you.
    Agree on the Euston Tap - it opens at 11:00 too. The other side is no longer a cider bar, but does a similar range of real ales and craft beers to the original. It was focusing on Northern beers early on when it changed, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

Local Knowledge here...

If you are coming into Euston then the Euston Taps is a nice place for a quick beer if the sun is out. A good place to meet up if you are on different trains. But they don't serve food

https://www.eustontap.com/

If you want to stop on the way the Railway pub near West Hampstead station is a good place to stop 5 mins on the tube away from the stadium.

https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pu...est-hampstead/

They do serve food.

Remember to get off at Wembley Park Station, not Wembley Central. It is a much better experience.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

If you have a bit more time, I would suggest Covent Garden/Fitzrovia/Soho.

The area surrounded by Charlotte Street in Fitzrovia is very nice and is an area typically missed by tourists.

The Porterhouse in Covert Garden in Covent Garden is a great pub, and has great beer and food.

http://www.theporterhouse.ie/bars-lo...ventgarden.php

If you don't want to spend much on you beer try find a Sam Smiths pub, they are the most wallet friendly pubs you will find in London for food and drink.

http://www.samsmithschallenge.co.uk/map.php

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/pubs/

Oh and one last suggestion...

If you want to avoid the crush to get onto the Tube at the end of the match, why not stop in one of the restaurants in London Designer Outlet just outside the stadium. If you get a move on you can get a table have some food, drink a beer and wait for the crowds to disappear.

https://www.londondesigneroutlet.com...on/food-drink/

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I desperately wanted to go to this final but my late father named me "the jinx". My first final being the Leeds "Noonan knock on" (a dreadful pass) final in `78. I have never seen Saints win a final live or on the telly in my life. He died in 2007 and was buried the Monday after the GF, we watched our last game together a Sky recording of Leeds vs Saints in the semi final/playoff we won 12-10, he prophetically said Leeds got more out of that than we did and they were a better side with Peacock. Though he was very sick he died earlier than we thought shortly after that game. I struggle to believe in any Deity or fate as such, so I confidently went to the GF in `07 with the thought that this jinx could put the winning programme in his coffin as a little token gesture between me and him. We know how that went for the next few years. A few years later Keith Wood was giving a pep talk for a group at a company I used to contract into, someone else told a story about him that he is a religious man and superstitious, on a Lions tour one of the coaches asked him why he thought miraculous medals and rosary beads helped him as they were inanimate objects, he said of course to the normal person they were just pieces of plastic and metal meaning nothing to him, that could not affect the outcome. Yet to the intelligent person they know these work whether you believe in them or not. The jinx will not be watching the game live.
    You do realise there's only one way to break the jinx TT, don't you. I suspect you'll never get a better chance than this Saturday. I do hope I haven't jinxed them by saying that. I'm certainly not putting any money on them, or that really would jinx 'em!

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Oh and one last suggestion...

If you want to avoid the crush to get onto the Tube at the end of the match, why not stop in one of the restaurants in London Designer Outlet just outside the stadium. If you get a move on you can get a table have some food, drink a beer and wait for the crowds to disappear.

https://www.londondesigneroutlet.com...on/food-drink/
    ...Or skip the tube altogether. Wembley Stadium station back into Marylebone.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Many Wire fans have been using the Green Man regularly over the last decade. Would be good to see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Many Wire fans have been using the Green Man regularly over the last decade. Would be good to see you there.
    ...As mentioned above by the OP. Been there, done it, worn the T shirt. Do try to keep up!

While you're visiting here, perhaps you could post this link on your forum? I don't recall many Wire fans there over the last decade...http://www.skolarsrl.com/major-event...-night-lights/
    Thanks

Last edited by Ralph Fridge; 20th August 2019 at 07:56. Reason: I responded to Rubber Duckie. I promised I wouldn't

...As mentioned above by the OP. Been there, done it, worn the T shirt. Do try to keep up!

While you're visiting here, perhaps you could post this link on your forum? I don't recall many Wire fans there over the last decade...http://www.skolarsrl.com/major-event...-night-lights/
    Thanks
    Always good to hear from someone who has a lot of knowledge of London. I'm only good around Euston and Clapham. If I ever go back down there can I pm you for some info please Kentish?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Always good to hear from someone who has a lot of knowledge of London. I'm only good around Euston and Clapham. If I ever go back down there can I pm you for some info please Kentish?
    Certainly mate. I can't promise to know the answers but I'll give it a go!

Certainly mate. I can't promise to know the answers but I'll give it a go!
    Brill. Ta very much

WARNING! PIE EATER!

The Nags Head in Covent Garden is a very popular pub for Rugby League fans, particularly the ones doing a weekend trip, must try The Porterhouse next time we're down, thanks KB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The Nags Head in Covent Garden is a very popular pub for Rugby League fans, particularly the ones doing a weekend trip, must try The Porterhouse next time we're down, thanks KB.
    You're welcome Rogues...But it was Noel C who recommended The Porterhouse. I wouldn't wish to steal his thunder!

Starting A Programme Collection

Smile

You're welcome Rogues...But it was Noel C who recommended The Porterhouse. I wouldn't wish to steal his thunder!
    Where are you heading for Barry remember meeting you on the banks of the Thames possibly last time we were down. It was early morning and you said you were heading for the hole in the wall and I thought it was a pub when it was an ATM. Then a few weeks after at Warrington away when you were squeezing through crowd gripping a few pints.

...Or skip the tube altogether. Wembley Stadium station back into Marylebone.
    Never took that train, the Jubilee Line takes me all the way to London Bridge which gets me onto a South Eastern train, so the tube works out well for me. However if the crowd is big that could be a good route.

No thunder to steal mate

Rogues: One thing I would say is don't meet at the Porterhouse it has about 5 different levels and has lots of hidden rooms to the side. While busy it has taken me about 20/30 mins to find someone in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Where are you heading for Barry remember meeting you on the banks of the Thames possibly last time we were down. It was early morning and you said you were heading for the hole in the wall and I thought it was a pub when it was an ATM. Then a few weeks after at Warrington away when you were squeezing through crowd gripping a few pints.
    Gripping pints? Sounds most unlike me!

It could just as easily have been The Hole in the Wall pub. That used to be my local when we lived in Waterloo.

I'm not sure what the plan is yet. I go to the final each year with a mixed bunch of mates. The guy who organises it is a Wiganer, so we'll probably be meeting up in some losers greasy spoon cafe like they do on The Apprentice. (Probably The Argyll Arms, Oxford Circus as it has been for many years). Maybe China Town after the game for a bite to eat? Obviously it's more complicated this year as the Saints crowd will be in town too, Could get messy!

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Never took that train, the Jubilee Line takes me all the way to London Bridge which gets me onto a South Eastern train, so the tube works out well for me. However if the crowd is big that could be a good route.
    Yeah, that makes sense for you if you need London Bridge.
    Wembley Stadium station does seem to clear quicker, and it is a fast train into town.
    Marylebone Station is also on Bakerloo tube line so folks can get into the centre of town quite easily. Also, it's only 5 mins walk from Baker Street for the other lines.
    I'm guessing you already know this stuff. I'm just saying it for the benefit of others.

Please don't let this be true. I've booked a room!
    I bought a pack of luminous condoms last week. The wife's face lit up.

Noooobie

Greeting to everyone - afraid I have been pretty much a lapsed fan being stuck down here though will obviously be at Wembley Saturday. For those of you who like Czech beer and want an alternative to the poor pubs of Wembley try the Czech & Slovak club at West Hampstead - 5 mins walk from West Hampstead Jubilee line station (which is 10 minutes up to Wembley Park). Proper Czech draught beer at reasonable prices (for London that is).
    https://www.czechandslovakclub.co.uk/

Anyone know if any old regulars from the Bath Springs are still about and if so where do they drink now ?