Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wigan Wire game tonight

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

I have never been so confident going to Wembley.My First Wembley was 1961.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Warrington really are terrible, amazes me that people think next week is a 50/50 game. We should beat them easily, says it all when they’re closer to bottom of the league London than us. 3 wins in 10 games as well which is embarrassing.
    Next week we will only beat ourselves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finstan View Post
    Is it rugby union when going to the video ref they ask is there any reason to disallow the try?
    Yes it is allso ask try yes or no?

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    I have never been so confident going to Wembley.My First Wembley was 1961.
    Ah but were you confident going to Murrayfield??

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Next week we will only beat ourselves.
    I agree but anything can happen at Wembley as Sheffield Eagles proved.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Anything can happen on the day. But if we lose next week it will be seriously disappointing. We are the best team in the country by a mile. Warrington could improve from what they’ve served up recently and still be nowhere near us.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I agree but anything can happen at Wembley as Sheffield Eagles proved.
    Absolutely.

Some of the talk on here and the Wire forum is getting me more and more nervous. They don't think they have a chance and alot of our fans are confident. That just ramps up the pressure and ultimately we are still an inexperienced side when it comes to winning big games.

Do I think we will win? Yes. But I think it's going to be very close and I think Wire will massively step up their game. They have put the cue on the rack in the league and are clearly putting their eggs in the CC basket in the hope they win it. Everyone will play for them next week, I am not buying the mind games about injuries at all.

Saints just need to focus on themselves, playing their best rugby, not going away from what's been successful for us and defending with intensity. The big question for us is whether lessons have been learned from last season and I'm also hoping those memories motivate and inspire us to go one better and win the big one. A win for us on Saturday could be the start of something special for this team I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection

I reckon Warrington will see the CC final as their best chance of silverware - and I expect will put everything into it.

Would be great to see a dominant win in the final that reflects our standards of play throughout the season - but cup finals are not so straightforward.

I think we have to continue to focus, be professional, avoid complacency, be confident and play what's in front of us as is needed. Despite current form, I think it's going to be a tougher game than form suggests.

This final is the first acid test for the team to show it can carry that form (since JH's tenure) into results in the biggest games. We're yet to do that. We only need to look to the CC semi to see that nerves can come into play and we can have an off day. I hope the lads just relax and continue to play as they have all season - and the semi was our blip and wake up call to forge ahead with confidence.

They deserve victory the way they've played all season and a good win in the final could give real confidence to know they can win on the big occasion and hopefully go onto becoming known as one of the great Saints sides we've seen. This season has been a real team effort - really balanced efforts across the park in each game and it's a credit to the players and coaching/back room staff. Now just to convert this into silverware!

COYS!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

So long as we keep our composure we will be fine.

As regards last night I could not work out if Wigan were very good or Wire very poor.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Ratchford could be Doubtful for next week...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    So long as we keep our composure we will be fine.

As regards last night I could not work out if Wigan were very good or Wire very poor.
    Wigan were pretty good in the first half without being brilliant and Warrington were crap. The second half was more even (shite).

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Yes it is allso ask try yes or no?
    And it's much better

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    I reckon Warrington will see the CC final as their best chance of silverware - and I expect will put everything into it.

Would be great to see a dominant win in the final that reflects our standards of play throughout the season - but cup finals are not so straightforward.

I think we have to continue to focus, be professional, avoid complacency, be confident and play what's in front of us as is needed. Despite current form, I think it's going to be a tougher game than form suggests.

This final is the first acid test for the team to show it can carry that form (since JH's tenure) into results in the biggest games. We're yet to do that. We only need to look to the CC semi to see that nerves can come into play and we can have an off day. I hope the lads just relax and continue to play as they have all season - and the semi was our blip and wake up call to forge ahead with confidence.

They deserve victory the way they've played all season and a good win in the final could give real confidence to know they can win on the big occasion and hopefully go onto becoming known as one of the great Saints sides we've seen. This season has been a real team effort - really balanced efforts across the park in each game and it's a credit to the players and coaching/back room staff. Now just to convert this into silverware!

COYS!
    Superb post

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Absolutely.

Some of the talk on here and the Wire forum is getting me more and more nervous. They don't think they have a chance and alot of our fans are confident. That just ramps up the pressure and ultimately we are still an inexperienced side when it comes to winning big games.

Do I think we will win? Yes. But I think it's going to be very close and I think Wire will massively step up their game. They have put the cue on the rack in the league and are clearly putting their eggs in the CC basket in the hope they win it. Everyone will play for them next week, I am not buying the mind games about injuries at all.

Saints just need to focus on themselves, playing their best rugby, not going away from what's been successful for us and defending with intensity. The big question for us is whether lessons have been learned from last season and I'm also hoping those memories motivate and inspire us to go one better and win the big one. A win for us on Saturday could be the start of something special for this team I think.
    Again, brilliant post.

I completely agree. Warrington have binned the league off. Our main threats in that now are Wigan & Hull (Still capable of a couple of great performances).

Warrington are heavy underdogs & don't have a lot to lose imo. They'll throw the kitchen sink & the ironing board with the iron at us next Saturday.

I believe we can win but I do think we will have to be at or near as our best as we can be because Warrington will turn up with a performance.

Don't let their league form fool you. They were pretty good in their semi final against Hull & I think they'll be good again. They are capable of beating us no matter what you think of them & I guarantee you that they'll show up

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Despite Warrington's woes and Saints optimism I think we should think back to our semi final game against the Catalans last season. We need to expect our toughest game of the season, Warrington are injured animals at the moment and might like the Catalans target the CC final as the only silverware to go out all for.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    Ratchford could be Doubtful for next week...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I think we can expect a lot of “will he won’t he” this week with a few Wire players. I’d be very surprised if they didn’t field a full strength side. Price seems to like the mind games!

Ratchford seemed to take a knock but was stood up at the side of the pitch watching on so I’d be surprised if he was injured as such

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Ah but were you confident going to Murrayfield??
    I genuinely wasn't. I knew we were far too cocky & we got busted

Got A Replica Shirt St Christopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I'm confident that we will win with ease, but I thought we'd easily win at Murrayfield, and we were even bigger favourites then!
    I feel the same. I still wake up in cold sweats having flashbacks to Murrayfield when we had one of the best teams ever in Superleague. Nothing went right that day..................

In The South Stand

There are too many people taking the result for granted and have got Saints as having won the cup before the game is played , I will wait for the final whistle remember it is one game .

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I only watched the first half last night but they were only playing at half pace, I don’t think any of their players even broke into a full sprint. I didn’t see anything in that game that will be relevant to next weekend, there’s certainly nothing new to take away from it. You only have to look back to semi final last September/October. Many on here didn’t give them a chance that night but they played above themselves, we got found out in certain areas, had a few players coming back from injury and couldn’t take control of the game. Every mistake and penalty they conceded was treated as though they’d conceded a try and if they get into that frame of mind again, we’ll have to play close to our best to get a result.

They’ll need to play their best game in a long time to beat us but anything can happen in a final.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I only watched the first half last night but they were only playing at half pace, I don’t think any of their players even broke into a full sprint. I didn’t see anything in that game that will be relevant to next weekend, there’s certainly nothing new to take away from it. You only have to look back to semi final last September/October. Many on here didn’t give them a chance that night but they played above themselves, we got found out in certain areas, had a few players coming back from injury and couldn’t take control of the game. Every mistake and penalty they conceded was treated as though they’d conceded a try and if they get into that frame of mind again, we’ll have to play close to our best to get a result.

They’ll need to play their best game in a long time to beat us but anything can happen in a final.
    I think we got a reminder that Clarke is still a threat from dummy half, and that you need to get in the face of akauola before he gets going.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post

I’m absolutely positive about Saints, I think we’ve played at 65-75% ourselves for the last couple of weeks and are ready to rip it up at Wembley. Our fitness, skill set and team work is so far ahead of everyone in the league that we are winning at a canter.

We were on a downward spiral towards the end of last season, who can forget Catalans, Huddersfield and Wigan rolling over us when we were missing Barba (he was there, but missing if you know what I mean) and players continuing with niggling injuries....

For us to lose at Wembley, Warrington would have to play at 100% and we would have to be worse than we played against Catalans.

Not impossible but EXTREMELY highly unlikely.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think we got a reminder that Clarke is still a threat from dummy half, and that you need to get in the face of akauola before he gets going.
    Noticed it was said Clarke clocked the fastest speed on a pitch to make a cover tackle, even quicker than any Premier League footballer, Williams went past him like he was stood still last night. Is that info wrong or was Clarke not too interested.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I’m absolutely positive about Saints, I think we’ve played at 65-75% ourselves for the last couple of weeks and are ready to rip it up at Wembley. Our fitness, skill set and team work is so far ahead of everyone in the league that we are winning at a canter.

We were on a downward spiral towards the end of last season, who can forget Catalans, Huddersfield and Wigan rolling over us when we were missing Barba (he was there, but missing if you know what I mean) and players continuing with niggling injuries....

For us to lose at Wembley, Warrington would have to play at 100% and we would have to be worse than we played against Catalans.

Not impossible but EXTREMELY highly unlikely.....
    Was this confident when Wire were strong, I think their poor performances will galvanize them for a one off final. They cannot play any worse.
    I hope I am wrong and you are right.