Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The reputation of Wire fans grows ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    How do you propose we attract new fans ?
    Genteel eco warriors as oppose to tough guy key board warriors. Ha, shove along there and get yourself a couple of pints of over confidence and come back on with your Chuck Norris alter ego.
    Not by sanitising the game even further, that's for certain. This tough keyboard warrior is currently having a nice cup of tea with his Shi-Chi sat on his knee and looking forward to an early night.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Not by sanitising the game even further, that's for certain. This tough keyboard warrior is currently having a nice cup of tea with his Shi-Chi sat on his knee and looking forward to an early night.
    Certainly not by ‘sanitising’ the game any more, there needs to be niggle and intensity to create a watchable product, if its all nicey nicey people will not watch. There is a fallacy with people calling it a family sport, yes families watch it but there needs to be the quality and competition there to keep people there. There needs to be a bigger focus on making the sport watchable rather than ‘family orientated’, families will watch if the product is.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Certainly not by ‘sanitising’ the game any more, there needs to be niggle and intensity to create a watchable product, if its all nicey nicey people will not watch. There is a fallacy with people calling it a family sport, yes families watch it but there needs to be the quality and competition there to keep people there. There needs to be a bigger focus on making the sport watchable rather than ‘family orientated’, families will watch if the product is.
    I agree wholeheartedly Tomespho that on the pitch players should be allowed to have a straightner and not get sent off for striking and the shoulder charge should be brought back, Phil Clarke mentioned that if after a fight the two players had to carry on playing whilst the others had a rest to watch it they may think twice.
    What I don`t think is that threatening to shoot Wigan scum or songs referring to incidents were loss of life has occurred is terrace banter as soccer does. I respect the opinions of of those that take these words as okay and a bit of fun, just as the fellas who think throwing beer as celebration think that is okay, it is not my cup of tea (like that ) but if it is their buzz so be it.
    I have asked how do we attract new viewers to our sport, how can we attract a sponsor with banter like this ?

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I
    I have asked how do we attract new viewers to our sport, how can we attract a sponsor with banter like this ?
    The fans are there but we just dont seem to want to travel.

Thursday night ,and Friday to some extent, games are not an attractive option (i believe) for Fans.

Potential sponsors then look at Half filled stadiums with a •••• poor TV product from sky and think "whats the point?"

We need to need to be mainly Saturdays and Sundays with a regular spot. We've no reason to be playing Thurs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Banned

I agree wholeheartedly Tomespho that on the pitch players should be allowed to have a straightner and not get sent off for striking and the shoulder charge should be brought back, Phil Clarke mentioned that if after a fight the two players had to carry on playing whilst the others had a rest to watch it they may think twice.
    What I don`t think is that threatening to shoot Wigan scum or songs referring to incidents were loss of life has occurred is terrace banter as soccer does. I respect the opinions of of those that take these words as okay and a bit of fun, just as the fellas who think throwing beer as celebration think that is okay, it is not my cup of tea (like that ) but if it is their buzz so be it.
    You're missing the point. It's the product that sells itself, not a few hundred fans having a bit a craic, no marketing person is going to be bothered by that if they're going to make money, it's just not how the world works. Surely a noisy, atmospheric ground sounds better on TV than some idiot blowing a bloody trumpet all game.

BUT, what's needed to start with is strong leadership by the RFL, in all aspects of the game and clubs to follow suit instead of always pleading poverty.
    Drop this tired "Family game" moniker. Yes, families attend games but then they attend all sports I can think of off the top of my head.
    Structure TV games so that any not on TV are played during the day on the weekend.
    Back and support referee's, and pay them a salary reflective of the pressure they're under, but also make them accountable when they continually make mistakes.
    Introduce incentive scheme's, for example, you buy a season ticket and it covers you for any home play off games/half price cup tickets/a quid off a pint.

There's no easy answer and there's no quick fix as it's been mis-managed for so long but I don't think it's an impossible task. SL was a breath of fresh air in 96 and now it's gone stale so maybe a new idea is what's needed.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I don't recall seeing AD state any level of 'pride' in singing that song and tbh I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. The comments were more directed to expressing the view that the song isn't a death threat and for good reason. It isn't.
    HTH.
    I have never said that singing a song about shooting opposing fans or players is making a death threat (Even though it literally is).
    The point I'm making is its not even of questionable taste, it is in very bad taste. Especially when there are children as young as 5 hearing it. And be of no mistake, children of that age do not have the ability of abstract thinking.

Learning All The Songs

You're missing the point. It's the product that sells itself, not a few hundred fans having a bit a craic, no marketing person is going to be bothered by that if they're going to make money, it's just not how the world works. Surely a noisy, atmospheric ground sounds better on TV than some idiot blowing a bloody trumpet all game.

BUT, what's needed to start with is strong leadership by the RFL, in all aspects of the game and clubs to follow suit instead of always pleading poverty.
    Drop this tired "Family game" moniker. Yes, families attend games but then they attend all sports I can think of off the top of my head.
    Structure TV games so that any not on TV are played during the day on the weekend.
    Back and support referee's, and pay them a salary reflective of the pressure they're under, but also make them accountable when they continually make mistakes.
    Introduce incentive scheme's, for example, you buy a season ticket and it covers you for any home play off games/half price cup tickets/a quid off a pint.

There's no easy answer and there's no quick fix as it's been mis-managed for so long but I don't think it's an impossible task. SL was a breath of fresh air in 96 and now it's gone stale so maybe a new idea is what's needed.
    Did not miss any point, I am one of them idiots that disagrees with you on the chanting issue.

I think we should switch to Union

Banned

Did not miss any point, I am one of them idiots that disagrees with you on the chanting issue.
    Couldn't give a toss what you think to be honest. You asked a question and I tried to give you some constructive thoughts on it but after your little outburst in the Clarke thread you can •••• off.

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    I have never said that singing a song about shooting opposing fans or players is making a death threat (Even though it literally is).
    The point I'm making is its not even of questionable taste, it is in very bad taste. Especially when there are children as young as 5 hearing it. And be of no mistake, children of that age do not have the ability of abstract thinking.
    Absolutely.

Learning All The Songs

I recall a song that was sung on the ’Scaff’ about Terry Newton. It was the season after he did Longy and the song ended with ‘Die, Newton, die’ I thought it was disgusting and appalling. I disliked Newton as much as anyone but I was horrified that a song like that was sung by a large number of Saints fans and I wondered what depths the sport I love had descended to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I recall a song that was sung on the ’Scaff’ about Terry Newton. It was the season after he did Longy and the song ended with ‘Die, Newton, Die
    The Scaff as Mystic Meg.

Learning All The Songs

Couldn't give a toss what you think to be honest. You asked a question and I tried to give you some constructive thoughts on it but after your little outburst in the Clarke thread you can •••• off.
    If you think you are constructive in your views you have an over inflated opinion of yourself. Mine was not an outburst that kind of thing belongs to you when you have had a few Leffe and watched Rambo. I called you out for what you are a chjicken sh@t c@nt who finds it amusing to themselves to deride a poster who has potentially made a mistake or has trouble with computers.
    You have been pulled for it on here before and continue to bully. Why don`t you head down to the local boxing club some 10 year old will beat the b@llix out of ya down there you coward.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I recall a song that was sung on the ’Scaff’ about Terry Newton. It was the season after he did Longy and the song ended with ‘Die, Newton, die’ I thought it was disgusting and appalling. I disliked Newton as much as anyone but I was horrified that a song like that was sung by a large number of Saints fans and I wondered what depths the sport I love had descended to.
    I remember the song well, but I don't for one minute think that anyone actually wanted him to die!
    Similarly with shooting red robins or Wiganers.
    I tend not to sing the nasty stuff myself, but I do think that some of you are over-reacting here.

Banned

If you think you are constructive in your views you have an over inflated opinion of yourself. Mine was not an outburst that kind of thing belongs to you when you have had a few Leffe and watched Rambo. I called you out for what you are a chjicken sh@t c@nt who finds it amusing to themselves to deride a poster who has potentially made a mistake or has trouble with computers.
    You have been pulled for it on here before and continue to bully. Why don`t you head down to the local boxing club some 10 year old will beat the b@llix out of ya down there you coward.
    Bloody hell, go and have a lie down you big cry baby.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't believe the quality of the product matters in the slightest to marketing people, all that matters to them is viewing figures in a targeted audience. Other than that, I fully agree with what you have written.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't believe the quality of the product matters in the slightest to marketing people, all that matters to them is viewing figures in a targeted audience. Other than that, I fully agree with what you have written.
    You're right, you only need to look at some of the shite on TV.

Learning All The Songs

Bloody hell, go and have a lie down you big cry baby.
    Told you already I don`t need your advice or constructive views. Have a good look at your posts you will see that a large amount are crying, whinging oh the irony. The others are mostly insults that in your brain is craic. I noticed that you directed a comment through another poster me. Why not post to me? Lost your b@lls because you have no alcohol or did your lap dog take them last night.
    You have elavated yourself as the self appointed guardian of the tough guys of Saints fans eh don`t think so more a w@nker warrior on a forum. We all know now go on ya sh@thouse.

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by webbo again View Post