Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The reputation of Wire fans grows ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    For any grown adult to be singing “shoot the x scum” in the name of a game of rugby is a bit odd imo
    How else do you treat vermin?

Poison, I guess. Traps? Maybe.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Ah don`t be like that. Post that selfie of you crying.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 15th August 2019 at 17:41.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    They've always been a mid-table 'nothing' club with a smallish but loyal fanbase, who have had some brief bright spells in times past, but always been in the shadow of a couple of their more successful and famous neighbours.

Then a wealthy new owner comes along, throws money at the club and they move to a new stadium. Questions are asked about their adherence to the game's financial regulations but toothless authorities fail to act.

Fan numbers grow, but quickly get all arrogant and develop a sense of entitlement. The club pulls cringey PR stunts to try to make headlines because they're desperate to be considered a giant of the game.

I'm trying to think of a parallel in football... anyone help me out here?
    This is spot on.

I worked in Warrington for a spell and this sums them up nicely.

They have a serious inferiority complex which bizarrely turns into aggression and arrogance, even though they’ve only won a few CC over the last 10 years.

They irritated me so much i now dislike them more than Wigan. And that takes some doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

They've always been a mid-table 'nothing' club with a smallish but loyal fanbase, who have had some brief bright spells in times past, but always been in the shadow of a couple of their more successful and famous neighbours.

Then a wealthy new owner comes along, throws money at the club and they move to a new stadium. Questions are asked about their adherence to the game's financial regulations but toothless authorities fail to act.

Fan numbers grow, but quickly get all arrogant and develop a sense of entitlement. The club pulls cringey PR stunts to try to make headlines because they're desperate to be considered a giant of the game.

I pity them. They do come across as somewhat deluded and possibly academically remedial (is that PC?).
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Ah don`t be like that. Post that selfie of you crying.
    You had to edit that? Was that because you were distracted getting offended by things?

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

There are clearly some songs chanted at sports stadia that are in very bad taste - the ones that mention Munich, Heysel, Hillsborough etc, but songs that are real generalisations like "shoot the scum" etc are harmless FFS......we aren't in the gun happy, shoot 'em up US of A where such things could be taken literally. I'm with AD on this one
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Just a thought, i know its too late for the cc final as most fans like myself already have their tickets but could the recent unrest involving wire fans put fans off attending the grand final in October should saints and Warrington meet at old Trafford?
    I think so yes, I would certainly have to think very carefully about taking my 75 year old father to OT should we play Wire.

Learning All The Songs

You had to edit that? Was that because you were distracted getting offended by things?
    Definetly not AD, as stated earlier I don`t get offended by much and certainly do not read too much into songs. You seem to get offended by most differing opinions from yours. I think threatening to shoot Wigan scum is going too far but respect your view and every other person who thinks it is okay. Live and let live man.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    There are clearly some songs chanted at sports stadia that are in very bad taste - the ones that mention Munich, Heysel, Hillsborough etc, but songs that are real generalisations like "shoot the scum" etc are harmless FFS......we aren't in the gun happy, shoot 'em up US of A where such things could be taken literally. I'm with AD on this one
    Warringtonsaint it is your right to have that point of view and as posted to AD I respect that.
    There is a difference between singing and chanting. Chanting is to repeat a mantra to make our brains more receptive to the message preached in rituals. Seeing it involves the brain does that rule out or rivals

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Warringtonsaint it is your right to have that point of view and as posted to AD I respect that.
    There is a difference between singing and chanting. Chanting is to repeat a mantra to make our brains more receptive to the message preached in rituals. Seeing it involves the brain does that rule out or rivals
    Loads of times I've heard Hull fans sing "shoot the •••••••" in response the the KR fans "When the red, red robin etc"
    I'm quite sure they're not exhorting fellow cod'eds to shoot the mascot.
    Don't think you should take things too literally in respect of crowd singing tbh.........
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Hello to a fellow manc saint
    Morning from sunny Manc pal, good to see another one of us on here.

Default Parallel

Does the footie team wear sky blue perhaps?

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    Morning from sunny Manc pal, good to see another one of us on here.
    Blimey - it’s peeing down in Stockport!!

Sunny here, 28 degrees..... tone fair I am exiled to GranCanaria until wednesday otherwise I live in Oldham and work in Stockport.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by antwnsaint View Post
    Does the footie team wear sky blue perhaps?

Does sound like a team in the City, Man.........
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

I've never warmed to 'shooting Wigan scum' as I thought it a bit tastless, tbh but anyone who thinks its a death threat...deary me! Give your head a wobble. I wonder how many Wigan fans have been shot in the last 100 or so years!

Got A Replica Shirt

It's a song, singing something at rival fans isn't making a death threat. I'm not sure why that needs explaining.
    And you must feel proud singing that song knowing full well children as young as 5 are hearing it. I've never understood singing/chanting nastiness about other teams. Supporting your own team and being derogatory towards others are not the same thing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    And you must feel proud singing that song knowing full well children as young as 5 are hearing it. I've never understood singing/chanting nastiness about other teams. Supporting your own team and being derogatory towards others are not the same thing.
    I don't recall seeing AD state any level of 'pride' in singing that song and tbh I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. The comments were more directed to expressing the view that the song isn't a death threat and for good reason. It isn't.
    HTH.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    Have you ever thought RL might not be for you and you might be better suited to something a little more genteel. If you don't understand it, there's no point me explaining it to you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I wonder how many Wigan fans have been shot in the last 100 or so years!
    "Not enough" is the correct answer.

Learning All The Songs

Have you ever thought RL might not be for you and you might be better suited to something a little more genteel. If you don't understand it, there's no point me explaining it to you.
    I agree, there is a huge difference between a bit of chanting in the stands and an actual death threat against someone. I get that all clubs do have an unsavoury element of supporters, but with Warrington it does seem more ingrained in to the club, the last few weeks incidents are testament to this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I agree, there is a huge difference between a bit of chanting in the stands and an actual death threat against someone. I get that all clubs do have an unsavoury element of supporters, but with Warrington it does seem more ingrained in to the club, the last few weeks incidents are testament to this.
    I wasn't saying otherwise pal. Warrington have had a scummy element for a long time. It winds me up though when normally the same idiots on here try to make things out to be something they're not. Knowsley Rd and the popular side in particular was known for being hostile, some folk seem to forget that and want us to be a bunch of eco warriors.

Learning All The Songs

I wasn't saying otherwise pal. Warrington have had a scummy element for a long time. It winds me up though when normally the same idiots on here try to make things out to be something they're not. Knowsley Rd and the popular side in particular was known for being hostile, some folk seem to forget that and want us to be a bunch of eco warriors.
    How do you propose we attract new fans ?
    Genteel eco warriors as oppose to tough guy key board warriors. Ha, shove along there and get yourself a couple of pints of over confidence and come back on with your Chuck Norris alter ego.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Will we be allowed to sing the full National Anthem again if the Scots vote for independence?

Quote Originally Posted by Stockportsaint View Post
    Blimey - it’s peeing down in Stockport!!

Eh up StockySaint....yep raining here too, but we call it "sun" just to cheer us up