Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 74 of 74

Thread: The reputation of Wire fans grows ...

  1. #51
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I agree, there is a huge difference between a bit of chanting in the stands and an actual death threat against someone. I get that all clubs do have an unsavoury element of supporters, but with Warrington it does seem more ingrained in to the club, the last few weeks incidents are testament to this.
    I wasn't saying otherwise pal. Warrington have had a scummy element for a long time. It winds me up though when normally the same idiots on here try to make things out to be something they're not. Knowsley Rd and the popular side in particular was known for being hostile, some folk seem to forget that and want us to be a bunch of eco warriors.

  2. #52
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I wasn't saying otherwise pal. Warrington have had a scummy element for a long time. It winds me up though when normally the same idiots on here try to make things out to be something they're not. Knowsley Rd and the popular side in particular was known for being hostile, some folk seem to forget that and want us to be a bunch of eco warriors.
    How do you propose we attract new fans ?
    Genteel eco warriors as oppose to tough guy key board warriors. Ha, shove along there and get yourself a couple of pints of over confidence and come back on with your Chuck Norris alter ego.

  3. #53
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,451
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I wasn't saying otherwise pal. Warrington have had a scummy element for a long time. It winds me up though when normally the same idiots on here try to make things out to be something they're not. Knowsley Rd and the popular side in particular was known for being hostile, some folk seem to forget that and want us to be a bunch of eco warriors.
    Will we be allowed to sing the full National Anthem again if the Scots vote for independence?

  4. #54
    Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    1,409
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stockportsaint View Post
    Blimey - it’s peeing down in Stockport!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eh up StockySaint....yep raining here too, but we call it "sun" just to cheer us up

  5. #55
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    How do you propose we attract new fans ?
    Genteel eco warriors as oppose to tough guy key board warriors. Ha, shove along there and get yourself a couple of pints of over confidence and come back on with your Chuck Norris alter ego.
    Not by sanitising the game even further, that's for certain. This tough keyboard warrior is currently having a nice cup of tea with his Shi-Chi sat on his knee and looking forward to an early night.

  6. #56
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Not by sanitising the game even further, that's for certain. This tough keyboard warrior is currently having a nice cup of tea with his Shi-Chi sat on his knee and looking forward to an early night.
    Certainly not by ‘sanitising’ the game any more, there needs to be niggle and intensity to create a watchable product, if its all nicey nicey people will not watch. There is a fallacy with people calling it a family sport, yes families watch it but there needs to be the quality and competition there to keep people there. There needs to be a bigger focus on making the sport watchable rather than ‘family orientated’, families will watch if the product is.

  7. #57
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Certainly not by ‘sanitising’ the game any more, there needs to be niggle and intensity to create a watchable product, if its all nicey nicey people will not watch. There is a fallacy with people calling it a family sport, yes families watch it but there needs to be the quality and competition there to keep people there. There needs to be a bigger focus on making the sport watchable rather than ‘family orientated’, families will watch if the product is.
    I agree wholeheartedly Tomespho that on the pitch players should be allowed to have a straightner and not get sent off for striking and the shoulder charge should be brought back, Phil Clarke mentioned that if after a fight the two players had to carry on playing whilst the others had a rest to watch it they may think twice.
    What I don`t think is that threatening to shoot Wigan scum or songs referring to incidents were loss of life has occurred is terrace banter as soccer does. I respect the opinions of of those that take these words as okay and a bit of fun, just as the fellas who think throwing beer as celebration think that is okay, it is not my cup of tea (like that ) but if it is their buzz so be it.
    I have asked how do we attract new viewers to our sport, how can we attract a sponsor with banter like this ?

  8. #58
    Got A Season Ticket sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    29
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I
    I have asked how do we attract new viewers to our sport, how can we attract a sponsor with banter like this ?
    The fans are there but we just dont seem to want to travel.

    Thursday night ,and Friday to some extent, games are not an attractive option (i believe) for Fans.

    Potential sponsors then look at Half filled stadiums with a •••• poor TV product from sky and think "whats the point?"

    We need to need to be mainly Saturdays and Sundays with a regular spot. We've no reason to be playing Thurs.


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  9. #59
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly Tomespho that on the pitch players should be allowed to have a straightner and not get sent off for striking and the shoulder charge should be brought back, Phil Clarke mentioned that if after a fight the two players had to carry on playing whilst the others had a rest to watch it they may think twice.
    What I don`t think is that threatening to shoot Wigan scum or songs referring to incidents were loss of life has occurred is terrace banter as soccer does. I respect the opinions of of those that take these words as okay and a bit of fun, just as the fellas who think throwing beer as celebration think that is okay, it is not my cup of tea (like that ) but if it is their buzz so be it.
    I have asked how do we attract new viewers to our sport, how can we attract a sponsor with banter like this ?
    You're missing the point. It's the product that sells itself, not a few hundred fans having a bit a craic, no marketing person is going to be bothered by that if they're going to make money, it's just not how the world works. Surely a noisy, atmospheric ground sounds better on TV than some idiot blowing a bloody trumpet all game.

    BUT, what's needed to start with is strong leadership by the RFL, in all aspects of the game and clubs to follow suit instead of always pleading poverty.
    Drop this tired "Family game" moniker. Yes, families attend games but then they attend all sports I can think of off the top of my head.
    Structure TV games so that any not on TV are played during the day on the weekend.
    Back and support referee's, and pay them a salary reflective of the pressure they're under, but also make them accountable when they continually make mistakes.
    Introduce incentive scheme's, for example, you buy a season ticket and it covers you for any home play off games/half price cup tickets/a quid off a pint.

    There's no easy answer and there's no quick fix as it's been mis-managed for so long but I don't think it's an impossible task. SL was a breath of fresh air in 96 and now it's gone stale so maybe a new idea is what's needed.

  10. #60
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WA12
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I don't recall seeing AD state any level of 'pride' in singing that song and tbh I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. The comments were more directed to expressing the view that the song isn't a death threat and for good reason. It isn't.
    HTH.
    I have never said that singing a song about shooting opposing fans or players is making a death threat (Even though it literally is).
    The point I'm making is its not even of questionable taste, it is in very bad taste. Especially when there are children as young as 5 hearing it. And be of no mistake, children of that age do not have the ability of abstract thinking.

  11. #61
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You're missing the point. It's the product that sells itself, not a few hundred fans having a bit a craic, no marketing person is going to be bothered by that if they're going to make money, it's just not how the world works. Surely a noisy, atmospheric ground sounds better on TV than some idiot blowing a bloody trumpet all game.

    BUT, what's needed to start with is strong leadership by the RFL, in all aspects of the game and clubs to follow suit instead of always pleading poverty.
    Drop this tired "Family game" moniker. Yes, families attend games but then they attend all sports I can think of off the top of my head.
    Structure TV games so that any not on TV are played during the day on the weekend.
    Back and support referee's, and pay them a salary reflective of the pressure they're under, but also make them accountable when they continually make mistakes.
    Introduce incentive scheme's, for example, you buy a season ticket and it covers you for any home play off games/half price cup tickets/a quid off a pint.

    There's no easy answer and there's no quick fix as it's been mis-managed for so long but I don't think it's an impossible task. SL was a breath of fresh air in 96 and now it's gone stale so maybe a new idea is what's needed.
    Did not miss any point, I am one of them idiots that disagrees with you on the chanting issue.

  12. #62
    Learning All The Songs Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,473
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I think we should switch to Union
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  13. #63
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Did not miss any point, I am one of them idiots that disagrees with you on the chanting issue.
    Couldn't give a toss what you think to be honest. You asked a question and I tried to give you some constructive thoughts on it but after your little outburst in the Clarke thread you can •••• off.

  14. #64
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,867
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    I have never said that singing a song about shooting opposing fans or players is making a death threat (Even though it literally is).
    The point I'm making is its not even of questionable taste, it is in very bad taste. Especially when there are children as young as 5 hearing it. And be of no mistake, children of that age do not have the ability of abstract thinking.
    Absolutely.

  15. #65
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    991
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I recall a song that was sung on the ’Scaff’ about Terry Newton. It was the season after he did Longy and the song ended with ‘Die, Newton, die’ I thought it was disgusting and appalling. I disliked Newton as much as anyone but I was horrified that a song like that was sung by a large number of Saints fans and I wondered what depths the sport I love had descended to.

  16. #66
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,290
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I recall a song that was sung on the ’Scaff’ about Terry Newton. It was the season after he did Longy and the song ended with ‘Die, Newton, Die
    The Scaff as Mystic Meg.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  17. #67
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Couldn't give a toss what you think to be honest. You asked a question and I tried to give you some constructive thoughts on it but after your little outburst in the Clarke thread you can •••• off.
    If you think you are constructive in your views you have an over inflated opinion of yourself. Mine was not an outburst that kind of thing belongs to you when you have had a few Leffe and watched Rambo. I called you out for what you are a chjicken sh@t c@nt who finds it amusing to themselves to deride a poster who has potentially made a mistake or has trouble with computers.
    You have been pulled for it on here before and continue to bully. Why don`t you head down to the local boxing club some 10 year old will beat the b@llix out of ya down there you coward.

  18. #68
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I recall a song that was sung on the ’Scaff’ about Terry Newton. It was the season after he did Longy and the song ended with ‘Die, Newton, die’ I thought it was disgusting and appalling. I disliked Newton as much as anyone but I was horrified that a song like that was sung by a large number of Saints fans and I wondered what depths the sport I love had descended to.
    I remember the song well, but I don't for one minute think that anyone actually wanted him to die!
    Similarly with shooting red robins or Wiganers.
    I tend not to sing the nasty stuff myself, but I do think that some of you are over-reacting here.

  19. #69
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    If you think you are constructive in your views you have an over inflated opinion of yourself. Mine was not an outburst that kind of thing belongs to you when you have had a few Leffe and watched Rambo. I called you out for what you are a chjicken sh@t c@nt who finds it amusing to themselves to deride a poster who has potentially made a mistake or has trouble with computers.
    You have been pulled for it on here before and continue to bully. Why don`t you head down to the local boxing club some 10 year old will beat the b@llix out of ya down there you coward.
    Bloody hell, go and have a lie down you big cry baby.

  20. #70
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,451
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You're missing the point. It's the product that sells itself, not a few hundred fans having a bit a craic, no marketing person is going to be bothered by that if they're going to make money, it's just not how the world works. Surely a noisy, atmospheric ground sounds better on TV than some idiot blowing a bloody trumpet all game.

    BUT, what's needed to start with is strong leadership by the RFL, in all aspects of the game and clubs to follow suit instead of always pleading poverty.
    Drop this tired "Family game" moniker. Yes, families attend games but then they attend all sports I can think of off the top of my head.
    Structure TV games so that any not on TV are played during the day on the weekend.
    Back and support referee's, and pay them a salary reflective of the pressure they're under, but also make them accountable when they continually make mistakes.
    Introduce incentive scheme's, for example, you buy a season ticket and it covers you for any home play off games/half price cup tickets/a quid off a pint.

    There's no easy answer and there's no quick fix as it's been mis-managed for so long but I don't think it's an impossible task. SL was a breath of fresh air in 96 and now it's gone stale so maybe a new idea is what's needed.
    I don't believe the quality of the product matters in the slightest to marketing people, all that matters to them is viewing figures in a targeted audience. Other than that, I fully agree with what you have written.

  21. #71
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't believe the quality of the product matters in the slightest to marketing people, all that matters to them is viewing figures in a targeted audience. Other than that, I fully agree with what you have written.
    You're right, you only need to look at some of the shite on TV.

  22. #72
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Bloody hell, go and have a lie down you big cry baby.
    Told you already I don`t need your advice or constructive views. Have a good look at your posts you will see that a large amount are crying, whinging oh the irony. The others are mostly insults that in your brain is craic. I noticed that you directed a comment through another poster me. Why not post to me? Lost your b@lls because you have no alcohol or did your lap dog take them last night.
    You have elavated yourself as the self appointed guardian of the tough guys of Saints fans eh don`t think so more a w@nker warrior on a forum. We all know now go on ya sh@thouse.

  23. #73
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,290
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  24. #74
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webbo again View Post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •