Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Leeds

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    An interesting test tonight of what a game with no kicker will look like.
    Not looking to bad so far goal kicking wise.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Obviously next week in the back of the mind and JH put the cue on the rack in the second half but a good win under the circumstances.

Thought Hurrell was a threat but also their weakness in defence. It's a long time since I've seen so many players with bellies in a team

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Superb performance in the circumstances and gives us a good bit of impetus for the week ahead

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by nutgrovesaint View Post
    Personally I prefer Richardson at scrum half think he has more about him in attack than Fages. Fages is obviously the better defender. I think you can cover Richardsons weaker defence. Not much in them and Holbrook favoured Richardson last year and Fages this year. A new coach comes in next year and could favour Richardson again.
    Fages is twice the player than Richards. whose only strength is goal kicking . Made up tonite Holbrook thinks the same .

In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Fages is twice the player than Richards. whose only strength is goal kicking . Made up tonite Holbrook thinks the same .
    I think Fages put that argument to bed tonight.

My take is that we put out a 65% strength team of young players and competed hard, and blew them away for 15-20 minutes then had a rest, and the score line flattered them. Briscoe’s freakish offload was a one in a thousand chance, and with 20s left we should have taken the two just for the hell of it.

Hurrell and Handley are their only threats.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Really good, professional performance. Missing half a dozen players, and those playing will have inevitably had one eye on next week. Leeds will have viewed this as an ideal time to meet us.

Great effort.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    It's a long time since I've seen so many players with bellies in a team
    Everyone in my house commented the same.

Certainly Hurrell looks great going forward but is regularly wrong footed in defense.

Just to add I wonder if the guy that said we should drop Naiqama for Bentley has changed his mind after tonite .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Just to add I wonder if the guy that said we should drop Naiqama for Bentley has changed his mind after tonite .
    I've said it about Naiqama before but he reminds me of Kevin Iro. He can be average for large parts but then he'll come alive and destroy teams. Quality player when he's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

possibly the best hattrick of tries I have ever seen.

Proud of the squad the way they have adapted to these last couple of games and not one fringe player has disappointed. On tonights match thought we had a poor kicking game in the first half but corrected that in the second half, Lees and Ashworth put in a lot of hard work and Eaves looks as though he could be useful and is worth a few more games.

Naiquama loves those passes from Jack Welsby doesn't he, as for Leeds don't think doing plenty of offloads and running around like headless chickens is going to get them at the top of the roost.

Probably one of the fittest squads we've had in a long time. Testament to our back room staff.

Noooobie

Am i the only one sick of skys love in with Konrad Hurrell.

Eaves pass off the floor from acting half is very sharp, better than Smith or Bentley on that particular skill already.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I’m made up with that to be honest because we didn’t have it all our own way tonight. First-half I thought we struggled in the forwards, we had a small pack out there and as you’d probably expect with Walmsley, Roby, LMS, Knowles, Paulo etc missing, we struggled a bit in contact and Leeds were able to find some late offloads which generated some momentum for them. Would have been quite easy for the players today 9 days away from a CC Final to just fall out of the game after 20/25 mins but way they hung in there though was outstanding. They kept covering for each other, kept turning up for each other more importantly IMO they kept trying to attack and move the ball into space as well. Thought we were a couple of passes away from scoring another two or three tries in the first-half.

Second-half I just thought we were really clinical. Has to be said that Leeds didn’t defend well but I thought some of our decision making in the second-half was brilliant, we found the space really well and then finished the chances off. Can’t remember us wasting a chance in the second-half. Faultless attack.

Thought Fages was really good tonight, proper performance. Peyroux and Taia likewise. Really good to see Kyle Amor in such good form as well. Naquima isn’t perfect defensively but in attack he’s impressing me more and more every week: powerful, good feet and some of the lines he’s running at the minute are unstoppable near the line.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

I was really happy with the way we coped with Leeds offloading game. In recent seasons it's been Leeds only chance of beating us and if they stick they often get us rattled. They did stick tonight but I thought we were more prepared for it than we have been before. Our defence stayed really switched on to snuff out their secondary attack from the offloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I’m made up with that to be honest because we didn’t have it all our own way tonight. First-half I thought we struggled in the forwards, we had a small pack out there and as you’d probably expect with Walmsley, Roby, LMS, Knowles, Paulo etc missing, we struggled a bit in contact and Leeds were able to find some late offloads which generated some momentum for them. Would have been quite easy for the players today 9 days away from a CC Final to just fall out of the game after 20/25 mins but way they hung in there though was outstanding. They kept covering for each other, kept turning up for each other more importantly IMO they kept trying to attack and move the ball into space as well. Thought we were a couple of passes away from scoring another two or three tries in the first-half.

Second-half I just thought we were really clinical. Has to be said that Leeds didn’t defend well but I thought some of our decision making in the second-half was brilliant, we found the space really well and then finished the chances off. Can’t remember us wasting a chance in the second-half. Faultless attack.

Thought Fages was really good tonight, proper performance. Peyroux and Taia likewise. Really good to see Kyle Amor in such good form as well. Naquima isn’t perfect defensively but in attack he’s impressing me more and more every week: powerful, good feet and some of the lines he’s running at the minute are unstoppable near the line.
    As usual I agree with your assessment. It would have been very easy to take the excuses and lose that one. A few times now we've been in a potentially tricky situation at half time and we've just stepped it up a gear in the second half.

We were really good on the fringes of the ruck today - both back rowers and both centres made serious inroads. As you said, Amor has been excellent for the last few weeks - a real steadying influence when he comes on.

Let's hope Lees is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janos View Post
    No

In The South Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janos View Post
    I get hes one of the most exciting players with ball in hand and hes stood out with ball in hand but if teams target his inside shoulder with a strong line or stand him up with a step hes a turnstile. Both our centres were a class above him tonight.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I get hes one of the most exciting players with ball in hand and hes stood out with ball in hand but if teams target his inside shoulder with a strong line or stand him up with a step hes a turnstile. Both our centres were a class above him tonight.
    And was done in the second half much like the first time we played Leeds this season.

Great tonight, second half blew Leeds away, no way through the middle for them and big mistakes when they tried to go wide.

Looking good for the final, keep it up lads.

COYS

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Lomax and fages blew thier oppo's off the park.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Eaves pass off the floor from acting half is very sharp, better than Smith or Bentley on that particular skill already.
    I rate the lad me. First class attitude & he lives for playing rugby. I think he'll do well
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Lomax and fages blew thier oppo's off the park.
    I can admit when I am wrong. Tonight convinced me, we can play without Richardson next week.

The goal kicking by percy was a huge surprise, but more importantly, we progressed down field and gain territory, which was my main concern about playing without Richardson kicking in general play.