Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 138

Thread: 19 man squad v Leeds

  1. #51
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    No team should go into a CC final without a good Goalkicker so its this Percival doesn't want to , Lomax can but gammie legs so no Welsby can but is still very young but young kids have done OK before , but one who is a good Goalkicker and as the bottle needed is Richardson .

  2. #52
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    713
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Its a fair point but he might have been practising in training for all we know. Holbrook was confident in his answer that he will be fit next week is so can't be that far off now. I imagine if the final was this week Coote would play.

    The tried and tested formula this year has been Coote, Lomax and Fages. If they're all fit that should be what we go with.
    Has Cootes injured his kicking leg or the other.

  3. #53
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    9,489
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Has Cootes injured his kicking leg or the other.
    I think you need both legs working to kick goals, pal
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  4. #54
    In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    35
    Posts
    7,431
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Don't think it's a coincidence that our right edge isn't as strong in defence. I don't think Peyroux and Naqaima have much confidence in Richardson so make positional mistakes themselves. That's not meant to be further criticism of DR, just an observation

  5. #55
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Don't think it's a coincidence that our right edge isn't as strong in defence. I don't think Peyroux and Naqaima have much confidence in Richardson so make positional mistakes themselves. That's not meant to be further criticism of DR, just an observation
    Nothing to do with Naqaima being crap defensively then?

  6. #56
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    No team should go into a CC final without a good Goalkicker so its this Percival doesn't want to , Lomax can but gammie legs so no Welsby can but is still very young but young kids have done OK before , but one who is a good Goalkicker and as the bottle needed is Richardson .
    I have to agree.

    Richardson would be on the bench anyway for me even if Coote was fit. If he doesn't make it, I'd start Lomax at 6, Richardson at 7 & put Fages on the bench.

    As for fullback, if Welsby gets a shot, then I hope he goes well. I'd have been tempted to throw Swift in on the wing & move Makinson to 1 myself.

    The argument that we would have to change our attacking structure is on point, no doubt (with Makinson at fullback). My argument is that on a big pitch, I would expect our halves to be operating centrally & get the ball out to the 2nd rows & centres with good, quick ball. Makinson is smart enough to make his runs into the line as a strike player rather than the extra ball player that Coote is.

    Defensively, he's solid & an excellent cover tackler. As for whether or not the players in question will be available, I'm sure Roby will be but I have my doubts over Coote & Walmsley
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  7. #57
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Nothing to do with Naqaima being crap defensively then?
    You have a point. He misses a lot of tackles
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  8. #58
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You have a point. He misses a lot of tackles
    Has a strange technique to me and doesn't use his frame, I know he's not massive but he's powerful.

  9. #59
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    He looks like a ballet dancer.

  10. #60
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    3,952
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Can Warrington afford to rest any against Wigan though? Them and Hull are breathing down their necks for 2nd place and a loss against The Pies would be pretty hard for them.......not a good fixture for them!! What a shame.......
    Kev Brown turning out for Leigh this weekend. Is this Plan C if Austin isn’t fit and Matty Smith is cup tied? They could have a veterans half back pairing going into the play offs. Smith and Brown.

  11. #61
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Kev Brown turning out for Leigh this weekend. Is this Plan C if Austin isn’t fit and Matty Smith is cup tied? They could have a veterans half back pairing going into the play offs. Smith and Brown.
    If that's the case I wouldn't worry who was kicking for us.

  12. #62
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I agree no rugby league team should take to the field without a regular kicker. I am also concerned about the number of players we could have taking to the field at Wembley who will be short of match fitness, that is if Coote, Walmsley and Roby are all passed fit to play. You can also add Knowles to this list even if he plays on Thursday at Leeds. Anybody who plays and isn’t fit will get found out at Wembley.

  13. #63
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,620
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    I agree no rugby league team should take to the field without a regular kicker. I am also concerned about the number of players we could have taking to the field at Wembley who will be short of match fitness, that is if Coote, Walmsley and Roby are all passed fit to play. You can also add Knowles to this list even if he plays on Thursday at Leeds. Anybody who plays and isn’t fit will get found out at Wembley.
    Warrington could be in the same boat to be fair if Austin, Hughes and Charnley play.


    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  14. #64
    In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    35
    Posts
    7,431
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Nothing to do with Naqaima being crap defensively then?
    I don't think Peyroux or Naqaima are particularly great in defence, and Richardson thrown in there too isn't a great recipe

  15. #65
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,649
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    This is my only concern. We would be going into a major cup final with a goal kicker who hasn't been able to practice for 5 - 6 weeks!! That's a huge gamble. I can see the game being very close, and we MUST convert the four points into six. For me, in the CC final it has to be:

    Fullback: Coote
    Half backs: Lomax and Richardson
    On the bench: Fages
    Ivé voiced the same concerns about no goalkicker or a kicker out of practice, but, I feel that if we go in with a full team and don't give away stupid penalties, then we will score enough tries to win.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 13th August 2019 at 21:49.

  16. #66
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    713
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think you need both legs working to kick goals, pal
    Haha, surely more stress must be put on the kicking leg rather than the standing one?

  17. #67
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    327
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Its a fair point but he might have been practising in training for all we know. Holbrook was confident in his answer that he will be fit next week is so can't be that far off now. I imagine if the final was this week Coote would play.

    The tried and tested formula this year has been Coote, Lomax and Fages. If they're all fit that should be what we go with.
    He has been wearing a leg brace, so I highly doubt he will have been able to practice!

  18. #68
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    What are people's thoughts about keeping some consistency in our half back partnership? Goal kicking could be the difference between winning and losing at Wembley. Even if Coote makes it, he hasn't kicked a single goal for a good couple of weeks now. It has to be a huge concern and one that cannot be overlooked.

    I would be tempted to stick with Lomax at 6 and Richardson at 7. Yes, Richardson is far from the finished article and has had many critics, including myself at times, but he has a cool head when it comes to goal kicking. It's a gamble but one that I would be willing to accept. I would hate to lose the final because we missed the extra 2 pointers and any goal kicks from penalties.

    I accept that it would be tough on Fages. Maybe have him on the bench? Big decision for JH.
    With regard to Wembley I would agree with that. It's pretty much what we did last year and Fages coming off the bench often lifted the sttack.


    With regard to the Leeds game I wouldn't risk Lomax. He is such an important part of our attack and one of the few players we haven't got adequate cover for.
    Similarly Makinson hurt his hand against Warrington so maybe let him sit the Leeds game out.
    It may not be much of an injury but it's his one handed grip that helps him score his diving tries.

  19. #69
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,336
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Nothing to do with Naqaima being crap defensively then?
    Which is exactly why it would be a disaster playing Richardson who is also poor defensively.
    Numerous times this year we've seen Peyroux shoot the line and miss the tackle or Naqaima miss completely only to be saved their blushes by great cover tackles from Fages.
    Better to have a goal kicker out there who's a bit rusty in Coote and have a strong defensive backline than deliberately go into a final with a weak right side defense as we know Wire will certainly target it. Missing a few conversions is better than conceding a shed load of try's through missed tackles.

  20. #70
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Which is exactly why it would be a disaster playing Richardson who is also poor defensively.
    Numerous times this year we've seen Peyroux shoot the line and miss the tackle or Naqaima miss completely only to be saved their blushes by great cover tackles from Fages.
    Better to have a goal kicker out there who's a bit rusty in Coote and have a strong defensive backline than deliberately go into a final with a weak right side defense as we know Wire will certainly target it. Missing a few conversions is better than conceding a shed load of try's through missed tackles.
    Fair point this. To be honest, I know he might have to tackle some big lads, but I'd move Richardson inside next to 2 strong defenders. He gets targeted out in the centres
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  21. #71
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,958
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Fair point this. To be honest, I know he might have to tackle some big lads, but I'd move Richardson inside next to 2 strong defenders. He gets targeted out in the centres
    Then he’d be targeted in the middle which would be much easier for opposition teams.
    He hasn’t gone too badly recently IMO but still Fages’ defence is one of the best I’ve seen from a 7.

  22. #72
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    860
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Expected a side like the two we’ve sent to London, so this is a shock. I have my reservations over Holbrook’s team selection around big games and this and the lack of Roby and Coote does leave me feeling a little uneasy for next week.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  23. #73
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,325
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Kev Brown turning out for Leigh this weekend. Is this Plan C if Austin isn’t fit and Matty Smith is cup tied? They could have a veterans half back pairing going into the play offs. Smith and Brown.
    This the same Kevin Brown for whom Warrington obtained a salary cap exemption from this year because of his 'season-ending injury'?

    There's a Wire fan where I work and he says he's heard Austin will be fine for Wembley.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  24. #74
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Has Cootes injured his kicking leg or the other.
    His kicking leg

  25. #75
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Which is exactly why it would be a disaster playing Richardson who is also poor defensively.
    Numerous times this year we've seen Peyroux shoot the line and miss the tackle or Naqaima miss completely only to be saved their blushes by great cover tackles from Fages.
    Better to have a goal kicker out there who's a bit rusty in Coote and have a strong defensive backline than deliberately go into a final with a weak right side defense as we know Wire will certainly target it. Missing a few conversions is better than conceding a shed load of try's through missed tackles.
    I agree, we have players who can kick goals if Coote isn't 100%.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •