Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    No,, but does it matter??
    Just a little light hearted rib is all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I reckon it will be the same half back pairing all the way to the final.

Its not just goal kicking, coote did alot of kicking in general play, especially kicking for territory.

Lomax and fages can kick but not to the same quality as Richardson.

There is no chance coote will be up to speed for the final with no games prior to it.

He will organise and play his game with ball in hand but kicks will be few and far between.

I could see fages getting a bench spot if we have a full pack. It's always good to have a back on the bench for key games.

It allows you to realign the side if a winger or center is injured.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Don't think Richardson will play in the final. Holbrook will go with his favoured half back partnership (Lomax and Fages) with Coote at full back and goal kicker. I think the only doubt at this stage will be whether Paolo is fit or not. If he's not you imagine Bentley or Ashworth will get the nod.

The key against Leeds is to pick up no further injuries, which is why I have a feeling Lomax won't play. Coote, Lomax, Roby and Walmsley are absolutely key for us, moreso than anybody else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

Last year in both semi finals we lost, one of the reasons that was suggested for this was the fact that Fages didn't play, personally I think that had Fages played in the playoff semi final we would have won.

I am not sure I can get onboard with any team suggestions that do not have Fages playing.

JH is resting players with any sort of doubt, but we need consistency going into finals, expecting everything to "just come good on the day" I believe is a recipe for disaster

Got A Replica Shirt

I think we have more than enough in the squad to beat Leeds. The fact of the matter is, the result this week is irrelevant. Hopefully no injuries, niggles or knocks picked up.

Got A Season Ticket

Totally understand what you are saying,,, but i doubt there are many fans who dont think we'll win the cc and grand final
    I am definitely not one of those, once you start believing you are unbeatable is exactly the time somebody shows you that you aren't. Are we playing incredibly well this season - absolutely, is it impossible for us to lose either or both finals - absolutely not.

The way to remove complacency is hard work, keep to the game plan, get all of your combinations working at their optimum and be humble prior to the game. Don't give the opposition a reason to believe we are underestimating them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I imagine these are the worst games for a coach. Field a weakened team and the first teamers go into the final rusty. Field a full strength team and risk someone picking up a knock and missing Wembley. The coach can’t win. IMO he’s done the right thing fielding a good side. The only players i would be tempted to rest at every opportunity would be Roby and Lomax. Lomax has had rotten luck with injuries over the years. I winced every time he took a tackle last Thursday. It would be tragic if he missed Wembley. I don’t think he’s ever been part of a major trophy winning 17.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

I watched a couple of internationals at Leigh and I think it was Fages kicking the goals for France I am not sure but I think so.

In The South Stand

Come to think about it I would not bet on being right.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Don't think Richardson will play in the final. Holbrook will go with his favoured half back partnership (Lomax and Fages) with Coote at full back and goal kicker.
    This is my only concern. We would be going into a major cup final with a goal kicker who hasn't been able to practice for 5 - 6 weeks!! That's a huge gamble. I can see the game being very close, and we MUST convert the four points into six. For me, in the CC final it has to be:

Fullback: Coote
    Half backs: Lomax and Richardson
    On the bench: Fages

Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    This is my only concern. We would be going into a major cup final with a goal kicker who hasn't been able to practice for 5 - 6 weeks!! That's a huge gamble. I can see the game being very close, and we MUST convert the four points into six. For me, in the CC final it has to be:

Its not a problem if we score plenty trys

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Can Warrington afford to rest any against Wigan though? Them and Hull are breathing down their necks for 2nd place and a loss against The Pies would be pretty hard for them.......not a good fixture for them!! What a shame.......
    Spot on. If Warrington don’t beat Wigan they may see their chance of a place in the GF slide down the pan.

I’d rest Lomax for Leeds. Starting to get worried about Coote’s fitness for the Cup Final.

In The South Stand

I know matey, what it is i dont have the right permissions apparently to start a thread,, so no idea what else to do lol
    I think your lack of permissions only applies when not signed in. I’ve now derailed the thread further.

In The South Stand

But how could i post on here without being signed in???
    If you leave an individual thread and go back to the list of threads, do you see a red box underneath and to the left hand side of the amber coloured advert that has, “+ Post New Thread”? If you have the box, I think you can start a new thread. Otherwise it’s one for the administrators.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post

Its a fair point but he might have been practising in training for all we know. Holbrook was confident in his answer that he will be fit next week is so can't be that far off now. I imagine if the final was this week Coote would play.

The tried and tested formula this year has been Coote, Lomax and Fages. If they're all fit that should be what we go with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

No team should go into a CC final without a good Goalkicker so its this Percival doesn't want to , Lomax can but gammie legs so no Welsby can but is still very young but young kids have done OK before , but one who is a good Goalkicker and as the bottle needed is Richardson .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Its a fair point but he might have been practising in training for all we know. Holbrook was confident in his answer that he will be fit next week is so can't be that far off now. I imagine if the final was this week Coote would play.

The tried and tested formula this year has been Coote, Lomax and Fages. If they're all fit that should be what we go with.
    Has Cootes injured his kicking leg or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Has Cootes injured his kicking leg or the other.
    I think you need both legs working to kick goals, pal

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Don't think it's a coincidence that our right edge isn't as strong in defence. I don't think Peyroux and Naqaima have much confidence in Richardson so make positional mistakes themselves. That's not meant to be further criticism of DR, just an observation

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Don't think it's a coincidence that our right edge isn't as strong in defence. I don't think Peyroux and Naqaima have much confidence in Richardson so make positional mistakes themselves. That's not meant to be further criticism of DR, just an observation
    Nothing to do with Naqaima being crap defensively then?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    No team should go into a CC final without a good Goalkicker so its this Percival doesn't want to , Lomax can but gammie legs so no Welsby can but is still very young but young kids have done OK before , but one who is a good Goalkicker and as the bottle needed is Richardson .
    I have to agree.

Richardson would be on the bench anyway for me even if Coote was fit. If he doesn't make it, I'd start Lomax at 6, Richardson at 7 & put Fages on the bench.

As for fullback, if Welsby gets a shot, then I hope he goes well. I'd have been tempted to throw Swift in on the wing & move Makinson to 1 myself.

The argument that we would have to change our attacking structure is on point, no doubt (with Makinson at fullback). My argument is that on a big pitch, I would expect our halves to be operating centrally & get the ball out to the 2nd rows & centres with good, quick ball. Makinson is smart enough to make his runs into the line as a strike player rather than the extra ball player that Coote is.

Defensively, he's solid & an excellent cover tackler. As for whether or not the players in question will be available, I'm sure Roby will be but I have my doubts over Coote & Walmsley

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Nothing to do with Naqaima being crap defensively then?
    You have a point. He misses a lot of tackles

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You have a point. He misses a lot of tackles
    Has a strange technique to me and doesn't use his frame, I know he's not massive but he's powerful.

In The South Stand

He looks like a ballet dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Can Warrington afford to rest any against Wigan though? Them and Hull are breathing down their necks for 2nd place and a loss against The Pies would be pretty hard for them.......not a good fixture for them!! What a shame.......
    Kev Brown turning out for Leigh this weekend. Is this Plan C if Austin isn’t fit and Matty Smith is cup tied? They could have a veterans half back pairing going into the play offs. Smith and Brown.