Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Leeds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Proud of the squad the way they have adapted to these last couple of games and not one fringe player has disappointed. On tonights match thought we had a poor kicking game in the first half but corrected that in the second half, Lees and Ashworth put in a lot of hard work and Eaves looks as though he could be useful and is worth a few more games.

Naiquama loves those passes from Jack Welsby doesn't he, as for Leeds don't think doing plenty of offloads and running around like headless chickens is going to get them at the top of the roost.

Probably one of the fittest squads we've had in a long time. Testament to our back room staff.

Noooobie

Am i the only one sick of skys love in with Konrad Hurrell.

Learning All The Songs

Eaves pass off the floor from acting half is very sharp, better than Smith or Bentley on that particular skill already.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I’m made up with that to be honest because we didn’t have it all our own way tonight. First-half I thought we struggled in the forwards, we had a small pack out there and as you’d probably expect with Walmsley, Roby, LMS, Knowles, Paulo etc missing, we struggled a bit in contact and Leeds were able to find some late offloads which generated some momentum for them. Would have been quite easy for the players today 9 days away from a CC Final to just fall out of the game after 20/25 mins but way they hung in there though was outstanding. They kept covering for each other, kept turning up for each other more importantly IMO they kept trying to attack and move the ball into space as well. Thought we were a couple of passes away from scoring another two or three tries in the first-half.

Second-half I just thought we were really clinical. Has to be said that Leeds didn’t defend well but I thought some of our decision making in the second-half was brilliant, we found the space really well and then finished the chances off. Can’t remember us wasting a chance in the second-half. Faultless attack.

Thought Fages was really good tonight, proper performance. Peyroux and Taia likewise. Really good to see Kyle Amor in such good form as well. Naquima isn’t perfect defensively but in attack he’s impressing me more and more every week: powerful, good feet and some of the lines he’s running at the minute are unstoppable near the line.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

I was really happy with the way we coped with Leeds offloading game. In recent seasons it's been Leeds only chance of beating us and if they stick they often get us rattled. They did stick tonight but I thought we were more prepared for it than we have been before. Our defence stayed really switched on to snuff out their secondary attack from the offloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I’m made up with that to be honest because we didn’t have it all our own way tonight. First-half I thought we struggled in the forwards, we had a small pack out there and as you’d probably expect with Walmsley, Roby, LMS, Knowles, Paulo etc missing, we struggled a bit in contact and Leeds were able to find some late offloads which generated some momentum for them. Would have been quite easy for the players today 9 days away from a CC Final to just fall out of the game after 20/25 mins but way they hung in there though was outstanding. They kept covering for each other, kept turning up for each other more importantly IMO they kept trying to attack and move the ball into space as well. Thought we were a couple of passes away from scoring another two or three tries in the first-half.

Second-half I just thought we were really clinical. Has to be said that Leeds didn’t defend well but I thought some of our decision making in the second-half was brilliant, we found the space really well and then finished the chances off. Can’t remember us wasting a chance in the second-half. Faultless attack.

Thought Fages was really good tonight, proper performance. Peyroux and Taia likewise. Really good to see Kyle Amor in such good form as well. Naquima isn’t perfect defensively but in attack he’s impressing me more and more every week: powerful, good feet and some of the lines he’s running at the minute are unstoppable near the line.
    As usual I agree with your assessment. It would have been very easy to take the excuses and lose that one. A few times now we've been in a potentially tricky situation at half time and we've just stepped it up a gear in the second half.

We were really good on the fringes of the ruck today - both back rowers and both centres made serious inroads. As you said, Amor has been excellent for the last few weeks - a real steadying influence when he comes on.

Let's hope Lees is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janos View Post
    No

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I get he’s one of the most exciting players with ball in hand and he’s stood out with ball in hand but if teams target his inside shoulder with a strong line or stand him up with a step he’s a turnstile. Both our centres were a class above him tonight.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I get he’s one of the most exciting players with ball in hand and he’s stood out with ball in hand but if teams target his inside shoulder with a strong line or stand him up with a step he’s a turnstile. Both our centres were a class above him tonight.
    And was done in the second half much like the first time we played Leeds this season.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Great tonight, second half blew Leeds away, no way through the middle for them and big mistakes when they tried to go wide.

Looking good for the final, keep it up lads.

COYS

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Lomax and fages blew thier oppo's off the park.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Eaves pass off the floor from acting half is very sharp, better than Smith or Bentley on that particular skill already.
    I rate the lad me. First class attitude & he lives for playing rugby. I think he'll do well

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Lomax and fages blew thier oppo's off the park.
    I can admit when I am wrong. Tonight convinced me, we can play without Richardson next week.

The goal kicking by percy was a huge surprise, but more importantly, we progressed down field and gain territory, which was my main concern about playing without Richardson kicking in general play.

Learning All The Songs

No. But did you know that Leeds DOMINATED us in the first 20 minutes afterwhich the score was 0-0. According to Phil Clarke.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    No. But did you know that Leeds DOMINATED us in the first 20 minutes afterwhich the score was 0-0. According to Phil Clarke.
    Phil Clarke. The gift that keeps on giving.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Yes, Leeds were tremendous, as the panel kept telling us.

But then they got beat. Or something like that, so I'm confused.

Got A Season Ticket

The fact we can be flat in the first half and then come out strong in the second half is a real testament to Holbrook. Half time is where Coaches are under most pressure, they see things in the first half that need ammending, and he puts that into practice during his HT speech. Incredible coach.

I'd rather Eaves gets more game time over Smith now. Smith seems to fall off tackles too much and can't take a bump, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    Yes, Leeds were tremendous, as the panel kept telling us.

But then they got beat. Or something like that, so I'm confused.
    They talk mediocrity up to try to create some drama.

Sadly the vast majority of people watching on Sky have watched the sport for a fair while so it becomes apparent immediately that they are talking complete twaddle.

Thereby dragging the presentation of the sport further and further into the gutter.

When Clarke first came on Sky, he was a breath of fresh air. He must have been told to change his style or be controversial or something. After the 'rugby Gods' comment about McGuire when he did his cruciate at Wigan, he should have been binned there & then

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    The fact we can be flat in the first half and then come out strong in the second half is a real testament to Holbrook. Half time is where Coaches are under most pressure, they see things in the first half that need ammending, and he puts that into practice during his HT speech. Incredible coach.

I'd rather Eaves gets more game time over Smith now. Smith seems to fall off tackles too much and can't take a bump, IMO.
    Yes, we had a weak kicking game in that first half and I was almost sure Holbrook would get that fixed up in the interval talk. The one thing the SKY commentary got right was that Saints are patient and wait for their opportunities were as Leeds lacked composure and gave a lot of ball away and didn't really apply a lot of pressure, Saints looked comfortable defending in their own 20 metres..

Eaves was a fresh alternative to Smith and looks a bit more robust, his distribution was sharper but he did throw out some inaccurate passes but a decent performance which I think was only his 2nd Superleague game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post

Both Eaves and Smith had top games last night. There’s a future for both of them at Saints. We’re very fortunate to have such talented young players coming through the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I've said it about Naiqama before but he reminds me of Kevin Iro. He can be average for large parts but then he'll come alive and destroy teams. Quality player when he's on it.
    I would say he’s just behind Makinson as the best finisher in the league. Give him the ball in the red zone and he will finish.

However I’m not convinced defensively. He is often out of position and gets beat on his outside shoulder. I think Holbrook got it right pairing him with Makinson.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    I would say he’s just behind Makinson as the best finisher in the league. Give him the ball in the red zone and he will finish.

However I’m not convinced defensively. He is often out of position and gets beat on his outside shoulder. I think Holbrook got it right pairing him with Makinson.
    He's generally quick enough to recover, he's very quick over the first 20m, he's no slouch after that either. Nestled between Fages and Makinson helps his game massively in defence

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    For this game, I would rest Lomax and leave Fages and Richardson to play and prove who wants the Wembley shirt. At this moment, I could not tell you who I would prefer to play at Wembley. If it was 2 months ago, I would have said Fages without a doubt, but I think Richardson has played his way back in and Fages has not been as effective as he was at the start of the year.

The question that needs to be asked is whether you go with a proven goal kicker or a proven defender for the final? I cannot see much between them with ball in hand.
    I’m 100% for fages next week after last night.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I rate the lad me. First class attitude & he lives for playing rugby. I think he'll do well
    First time to see him Ralph good hands. I think Bentley may get a bench spot at Wembley, like Roy, have been a fan of his tackling since day one, he is now going higher more on the waist and trying to turtle oppo`s in one movement. Merrin and himself had a little battle in that department, Merrin edged it as expected but Bentley will be the better for it.