Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Leeds

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Kev Brown turning out for Leigh this weekend. Is this Plan C if Austin isn’t fit and Matty Smith is cup tied? They could have a veterans half back pairing going into the play offs. Smith and Brown.
    If that's the case I wouldn't worry who was kicking for us.

Noooobie

I agree no rugby league team should take to the field without a regular kicker. I am also concerned about the number of players we could have taking to the field at Wembley who will be short of match fitness, that is if Coote, Walmsley and Roby are all passed fit to play. You can also add Knowles to this list even if he plays on Thursday at Leeds. Anybody who plays and isn’t fit will get found out at Wembley.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    I agree no rugby league team should take to the field without a regular kicker. I am also concerned about the number of players we could have taking to the field at Wembley who will be short of match fitness, that is if Coote, Walmsley and Roby are all passed fit to play. You can also add Knowles to this list even if he plays on Thursday at Leeds. Anybody who plays and isn’t fit will get found out at Wembley.
    Warrington could be in the same boat to be fair if Austin, Hughes and Charnley play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Nothing to do with Naqaima being crap defensively then?
    I don't think Peyroux or Naqaima are particularly great in defence, and Richardson thrown in there too isn't a great recipe

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    This is my only concern. We would be going into a major cup final with a goal kicker who hasn't been able to practice for 5 - 6 weeks!! That's a huge gamble. I can see the game being very close, and we MUST convert the four points into six. For me, in the CC final it has to be:

Fullback: Coote
    Half backs: Lomax and Richardson
    On the bench: Fages
    Ivé voiced the same concerns about no goalkicker or a kicker out of practice, but, I feel that if we go in with a full team and don't give away stupid penalties, then we will score enough tries to win.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 13th August 2019 at 22:49.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think you need both legs working to kick goals, pal
    Haha, surely more stress must be put on the kicking leg rather than the standing one?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Its a fair point but he might have been practising in training for all we know. Holbrook was confident in his answer that he will be fit next week is so can't be that far off now. I imagine if the final was this week Coote would play.

The tried and tested formula this year has been Coote, Lomax and Fages. If they're all fit that should be what we go with.
    He has been wearing a leg brace, so I highly doubt he will have been able to practice!

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    What are people's thoughts about keeping some consistency in our half back partnership? Goal kicking could be the difference between winning and losing at Wembley. Even if Coote makes it, he hasn't kicked a single goal for a good couple of weeks now. It has to be a huge concern and one that cannot be overlooked.

I would be tempted to stick with Lomax at 6 and Richardson at 7. Yes, Richardson is far from the finished article and has had many critics, including myself at times, but he has a cool head when it comes to goal kicking. It's a gamble but one that I would be willing to accept. I would hate to lose the final because we missed the extra 2 pointers and any goal kicks from penalties.

I accept that it would be tough on Fages. Maybe have him on the bench? Big decision for JH.
    With regard to Wembley I would agree with that. It's pretty much what we did last year and Fages coming off the bench often lifted the sttack.

With regard to the Leeds game I wouldn't risk Lomax. He is such an important part of our attack and one of the few players we haven't got adequate cover for.
    Similarly Makinson hurt his hand against Warrington so maybe let him sit the Leeds game out.
    It may not be much of an injury but it's his one handed grip that helps him score his diving tries.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Nothing to do with Naqaima being crap defensively then?
    Which is exactly why it would be a disaster playing Richardson who is also poor defensively.
    Numerous times this year we've seen Peyroux shoot the line and miss the tackle or Naqaima miss completely only to be saved their blushes by great cover tackles from Fages.
    Better to have a goal kicker out there who's a bit rusty in Coote and have a strong defensive backline than deliberately go into a final with a weak right side defense as we know Wire will certainly target it. Missing a few conversions is better than conceding a shed load of try's through missed tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Which is exactly why it would be a disaster playing Richardson who is also poor defensively.
    Numerous times this year we've seen Peyroux shoot the line and miss the tackle or Naqaima miss completely only to be saved their blushes by great cover tackles from Fages.
    Better to have a goal kicker out there who's a bit rusty in Coote and have a strong defensive backline than deliberately go into a final with a weak right side defense as we know Wire will certainly target it. Missing a few conversions is better than conceding a shed load of try's through missed tackles.
    Fair point this. To be honest, I know he might have to tackle some big lads, but I'd move Richardson inside next to 2 strong defenders. He gets targeted out in the centres

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Fair point this. To be honest, I know he might have to tackle some big lads, but I'd move Richardson inside next to 2 strong defenders. He gets targeted out in the centres
    Then he’d be targeted in the middle which would be much easier for opposition teams.
    He hasn’t gone too badly recently IMO but still Fages’ defence is one of the best I’ve seen from a 7.

In The South Stand

Expected a side like the two we’ve sent to London, so this is a shock. I have my reservations over Holbrook’s team selection around big games and this and the lack of Roby and Coote does leave me feeling a little uneasy for next week.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Kev Brown turning out for Leigh this weekend. Is this Plan C if Austin isn’t fit and Matty Smith is cup tied? They could have a veterans half back pairing going into the play offs. Smith and Brown.
    This the same Kevin Brown for whom Warrington obtained a salary cap exemption from this year because of his 'season-ending injury'?

There's a Wire fan where I work and he says he's heard Austin will be fine for Wembley.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Has Cootes injured his kicking leg or the other.
    His kicking leg

Banned

I agree, we have players who can kick goals if Coote isn't 100%.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    This the same Kevin Brown for whom Warrington obtained a salary cap exemption from this year because of his 'season-ending injury'?

There's a Wire fan where I work and he says he's heard Austin will be fine for Wembley.
    Kev Browns gone on an end of season loan hasn't he? So we won't be seeing him in a Warrington shirt and he won't be on their cap this year. Same as us with Douglas and Morgan.

It's an odd one that they've brought Smith in and got rid of Brown

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    This is what they have been trying to do in his appearances this season and is quite often more involved in a 2 man tackle, Fages can tackle one on one with a fairly good success rate but even he has been caught out a few times out wide this season. Another thing is how our sliding defence has covered up weaknesses, Lees and Peyroux miss lost of tackles but we cover this quite well.

We have conceded just over 50 tries this season, I would estimate 50% of those are scored on the far edges and a fair percentage are from high or grubber kicks. I don't recall Richardson missing a tackle that has resulted in points conceded maybe on 1 or 2 occasions but he's nowhere near the weakness of Brough, Langi, Myler, Miller and Sneyd and you could say Austin as well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

It appears that both Brown and Smith will be on the market at the end of the season we just don't know which stalls they will be running.
    Learned comment from The Don

At last night’s forum Richard Marshall explained that Saints’ defence was based on putting pressure on the opposition with each player understanding the roles of those around them. The fact that Lees, Naiqama and Peyroux miss so many tackles and yet the side concedes so few tries is presumably evidence that the system works. Even when the initial tackle is missed, the pressure often forces a mistake or the attack to stall while our players also work hard to cover each other to minimise the negative impact.

For this game, I would rest Lomax and leave Fages and Richardson to play and prove who wants the Wembley shirt. At this moment, I could not tell you who I would prefer to play at Wembley. If it was 2 months ago, I would have said Fages without a doubt, but I think Richardson has played his way back in and Fages has not been as effective as he was at the start of the year.

The question that needs to be asked is whether you go with a proven goal kicker or a proven defender for the final? I cannot see much between them with ball in hand.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    At last night’s forum Richard Marshall explained that Saints’ defence was based on putting pressure on the opposition with each player understanding the roles of those around them. The fact that Lees, Naiqama and Peyroux miss so many tackles and yet the side concedes so few tries is presumably evidence that the system works. Even when the initial tackle is missed, the pressure often forces a mistake or the attack to stall while our players also work hard to cover each other to minimise the negative impact.
    I think this plan is obvious in the case of Lees, he flies at the attacker and very often misses, but forces a delay through a fumble or a sidestep.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 14th August 2019 at 13:08.

Got A Season Ticket

Personally I prefer Richardson at scrum half think he has more about him in attack than Fages. Fages is obviously the better defender. I think you can cover Richardson’s weaker defence. Not much in them and Holbrook favoured Richardson last year and Fages this year. A new coach comes in next year and could favour Richardson again.

Learning All The Songs

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...19-man-squads/

Good job we are not playing Warrington this week Steve Price is bringing back his BIG GUNS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Fages over Richardson all day long for me.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Missing a few conversions is better than conceding a shed load of try's through missed tackles.
    Conceding a shed load of try's!!! Haha, you seem to have far more confidence in Warrington's attacking ability than I do.

Missing a few conversions? That could cost us the game and a piece of silverware.

JH has a very difficult decision to make.