Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Jack Welsby

Noooobie

Default Jack Welsby

What a star this kid is going to be. Breezed through tonight’s game setting up some impressive tries.

Do we see Jack as a full back or a 6?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Certainly has the hands to play that 3rd pivot role the modern full back has become. Very solid at the back today as well. Definitely worth looking at as a successor to Coote, especially if Lewis Dodd is as good a prospect at half back as people have suggested.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Certainly has the hands to play that 3rd pivot role the modern full back has become. Very solid at the back today as well. Definitely worth looking at as a successor to Coote, especially if Lewis Dodd is as good a prospect at half back as people have suggested.
    Welbsy - Dodd - Richardson - Smith - Knowles

Not the worst spine in SL even now

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

A bit like Lomax and Wellens in their earlier years, just keep him around the first team, irrelevant of position he appears to have an ability to slot in anywhere.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post

Got to disagree re Richards . He is a phenominal goal-kicker but his defending is still poor .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by tartansaint View Post
    What a star this kid is going to be. Breezed through tonight’s game setting up some impressive tries.

Do we see Jack as a full back or a 6?
    Is Jack from St Helens?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Is Jack from St Helens?
    He played Junior Rugby at Blackbrook - so I assume he's at least local

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Is Jack from St Helens?
    I think his family have a connection with Shevington were he began his Rugby.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 9th August 2019 at 13:54.

Noooobie

Got to disagree regarding Richardson, think his defending has improved this season. Welsby will be a full back, tremendous pass for makinosn try. You need that ability at full back

Noooobie

Welsby looks to me as though he will make a top ball playing loose forward.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Early days yet but he does look a really good prospect. He reminds me of Jake Connor a little bit with him being tall and quite difficult to handlewhen he runs with the ball. He looks like he could probably play in several positions which could work well for him as he tries to break in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post

Just can't see Richardson as the future for Saints, goal kicking apart he is very ordinary. I wouldn't mind being proved wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Just can't see Richardson as the future for Saints, goal kicking apart he is very ordinary. I wouldn't mind being proved wrong though.
    Its been quite difficult for Richardson this season he has had so many half back partners in Lomax, Fages, Welsby, Paulo where as Fages most of his games have been with Lomax. Richardson for me is playing better this season compared to the second half of last season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its been quite difficult for Richardson this season he has had so many half back partners in Lomax, Fages, Welsby, Paulo where as Fages most of his games have been with Lomax. Richardson for me is playing better this season compared to the second half of last season.
    I don’t see a lot that Fages has offered the team this season above Richardson. I think he’s had it very easy at times when Coote and Lomax have dominated the plays. In the games where Fages has partnered Richardson it’s been Richardson who is stepping up on the last tackle and coming up with more play making options. Richardson is by no means the finished article at 22 years old but definitely worth persevering with. Fages is rightly ahead of him at the moment but not by a lot.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Richardson played well against Warrington I thought, his defense has improved and he seems a bit more patient. What annoys me with him still is he loves that short side bomb on the last tackle when really he has more to his game than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Early days yet but he does look a really good prospect. He reminds me of Jake Connor a little bit with him being tall and quite difficult to handlewhen he runs with the ball. He looks like he could probably play in several positions which could work well for him as he tries to break in.
    I thought exactly the same myself, personally I think stand off would be his best position, he reminds me a little of Leon Price, however he also looked good at full back and it seems Holbrook sees him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Richardson played well against Warrington I thought, his defense has improved and he seems a bit more patient. What annoys me with him still is he loves that short side bomb on the last tackle when really he has more to his game than that.

I thought exactly the same myself, personally I think stand off would be his best position, he reminds me a little of Leon Price, however he also looked good at full back and it seems Holbrook sees him there.
    Holbrook won't be here.

Banned

Holbrook won't be here.
    I didn't say he would be. I was talking in the present tense.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post

The short side attacking moves be it a bomb, chip kick or that last play run is a training ground move set up by Longy in pre season, we see Richardson doing it more because he can pass out of both hands, the trouble is it doesn't always go to plan.

For Welsby he would probably make a decent loose forward once he bulks up in a few more seasons in the meantime covering 1 + 6 is ideal in his development. There is also a Lewis Dodd/Jack Welsby half back combo possibility further down the track.

Lewis Dodd another fine prospect 18 tries and 92 goals so far this season.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy8QL0MD-IM

Banned

The short side attacking moves be it a bomb, chip kick or that last play run is a training ground move set up by Longy in pre season, we see Richardson doing it more because he can pass out of both hands, the trouble is it doesn't always go to plan.

For Welsby he would probably make a decent loose forward once he bulks up in a few more seasons in the meantime covering 1 + 6 is ideal in his development. There is also a Lewis Dodd/Jack Welsby half back combo possibility further down the track.

Lewis Dodd another fine prospect 18 tries and 92 goals so far this season.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy8QL0MD-IM
    He certainly has the frame for LF but I'd much prefer us to keep Knowles there. I'll have a look at the video shortly.

Banned

Dodd certainly looks the business, he's a bit bigger than I thought and looks a big running threat. I guess it's up to him now because he looks to have all the tools.

Upside
    Non Members

They are both great players, those highlights are from scholarship and he's had nearly a full year in the academy so a little out of date although really show his skills