Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad for Wire match

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Problem with playing a full strength team the week before is that players may not go into it at full pelt. They know it’s a week from Wembley and in my opinion this is where they are more susceptible to pick up injuries. My worry is Coote. Going into the Final with no games since Wigan at H isn’t great not to mention if he’s not had the chance to practice his kicking with his injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a tough one for sure. He was criticized for being the opposite way last year, we've just got to trust he's learned from it, he's the one who sees the players day to day and is best placed to make the right call in the weeks leading up to it. I'd like to rest them myself but I just hope we come out all guns blazing if we do and leave nothing on the field

In The South Stand

Problem with playing a full strength team the week before is that players may not go into it at full pelt. They know it’s a week from Wembley and in my opinion this is where they are more susceptible to pick up injuries. My worry is Coote. Going into the Final with no games since Wigan at H isn’t great not to mention if he’s not had the chance to practice his kicking with his injury.

My worry is Coote in general. We absolutely need him to play at Wembley. How is Big Al's eye as well? Nervous times.

Learning All The Songs

Really clever from Holbrook in my opinion. As I said on another thread, we’ve had two relatively easy games and need a run out with a strong team. Next week will be the week we’ll rest most of the team.

Roby is the type of player that can be out for weeks and come back just as good, doesn’t need games to ease himself back in. Probably won’t see him until the Final now.

Yeah thought that for a while with Roby, similar to SOL, comes back where he left off. Johnny seems to lose tempo with his passing if he has been rested, then he is MOM by the proverbial country mile the next game.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMCMXCIV View Post
    I would possibly rest Lomax.

Ben Westwood named in the squad for Wire. I wonder if he’s been given any specific instructions on how to play?
    He's 38 him you know is our "benny". .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    My worry is Coote in general. We absolutely need him to play at Wembley. How is Big Al's eye as well? Nervous times.
    Holbrook has said they’ll all be fine for Wembley

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I’m sure the coaches will make the right decisions, the medical and S&C staff will have all the data there and will be able to see which players need resting, which players need to play a little bit more, how different players respond to being rested etc etc. Injuries can happen at any time but are more likely to happen if you haven’t played for 3 weeks, start a game and then feel like your body is falling to pieces after 20 minutes.

Lomax is one I’d think very carefully about. Coote could play at Leeds but if we don’t see him again until Wembley, I’m not sure I like the sound of a bloke who’s had multiple knee reconstructions clocking up 22-25km or whatever over two games at full back prior to a Wembley final. I think he needs to play some rugby at 6. If you look at the spine, only Fages has really had any consistency lately in terms of position.

I imagine they’ll have already planned out how many minutes the forwards will play.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I’m sure the coaches will make the right decisions, the medical and S&C staff will have all the data there and will be able to see which players need resting, which players need to play a little bit more, how different players respond to being rested etc etc. Injuries can happen at any time but are more likely to happen if you haven’t played for 3 weeks, start a game and then feel like your body is falling to pieces after 20 minutes.

Lomax is one I’d think very carefully about. Coote could play at Leeds but if we don’t see him again until Wembley, I’m not sure I like the sound of a bloke who’s had multiple knee reconstructions clocking up 22-25km or whatever over two games at full back prior to a Wembley final. I think he needs to play some rugby at 6. If you look at the spine, only Fages has really had any consistency lately in terms of position.

I imagine they’ll have already planned out how many minutes the forwards will play.
    I would imagine Makinson and Grace will take some of that load running the ball back, for the Leeds fixture we could do a lot rotation in the game and have Lomax and Coote getting half a game in there favoured positions.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Personally I think we have had enough rotation for now.

Time to rebuild some consistent partnerships into a final.

You can't just turn it on and off as you like.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Personally I think we have had enough rotation for now.

Time to rebuild some consistent partnerships into a final.

You can't just turn it on and off as you like.
    I agree, players can be rested after Wembley but now we need consistency.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Where’s YG when you need him?

Here’s a link:

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/08/0...rington-clash/
    I need to make sure I don’t schedule meetings 2 days before Saints games in future and this won’t happen again
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Holbrook has said they’ll all be fine for Wembley
    I still have a bit of a concern that even if they are all fit, Coote won't have kicked a field goal for weeks. It took him a few weeks to get up to speed when he started kicking. I hope he can come back with some form with the boot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I still have a bit of a concern that even if they are all fit, Coote won't have kicked a field goal for weeks. It took him a few weeks to get up to speed when he started kicking. I hope he can come back with some form with the boot.
    Don't worry, I'll have the week off and have him over Eccleston field every night with a bag a balls (not Col81).

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Perhaps one of the coaching team may think about practising goal kicking in training stranger things have happened like man walks on the moon or a complete and utter moron gets voted President of the USofA for the third time after Reagan started the trend followed by Dubya and Trump.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Got A Season Ticket

Wouldn't risk Lomax for this one with Westwood around in what is effectively a nothing game for us. We have nothing to gain from tonight and I think that's the reason Roby isnt playing again too. PErsonally I would go something like:

Welsby
    Grace
    Naiqama
    Costello
    Swift
    Fages
    Richardson
    Thompson
    Bentley
    Lees
    Taia
    Peyroux
    LMS

Paulo
    Ashworth
    Amor
    Smith

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Don't worry, I'll have the week off and have him over Eccleston field every night with a bag a balls (not Col81).
    Thanks mate. Can you also get him to show a bit more aggression in his tackling?

Banned

Must be difficult for players like Smith who make a number of moves over a couple of years, to come up with soundbites about joining a club that sound sincere. Here's his comment about joining Wire:

"Having been a big admirer of Warrington for so long it was a very easy decision for me"

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by wakey_saint View Post
    Wouldn't risk Lomax for this one with Westwood around in what is effectively a nothing game for us. We have nothing to gain from tonight and I think that's the reason Roby isnt playing again too. PErsonally I would go something like:

Welsby
    Grace
    Naiqama
    Costello
    Swift
    Fages
    Richardson
    Thompson
    Bentley
    Lees
    Taia
    Peyroux
    LMS

Paulo
    Ashworth
    Amor
    Smith
    I disagree, if we post a thumping win then Warrington will be worried about losing second spot & it is bound to have a psychological effect for the repeat game in a fortnight.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Naiquama defense is shocking tonight. Real concern.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Jesus to hear Sky go on you’d think the entire Wire team was unavailable. No mention of us missing Coote, Percival, Fages, Walmsley, Roby and Knowles.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

I’m a bit concerned now. We’re missing Walmsley, Roby, Coote, Fages and Percival from the first choice team. I’m all in favour of rotation, but I’m starting to worry this isn’t rotation but long-term injury. This isn’t London. We should have played enough power to win. We’re looking like a loss at half-time, and that gives Wire a big psychological advantage going in to Wembley and the play-offs.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Naiquama defense is shocking tonight. Real concern.

It would help if we stopped gifting Warrington possession.

Got A Season Ticket

I wouldn’t worry too much. Half a side out, got nothing from the ref, Warrington amazing according to the commentary team and yet we are still winning at half time.

Default 19 man squad for Wire match

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Haggerty View Post
    I’m a bit concerned now. We’re missing Walmsley, Roby, Coote, Fages and Percival from the first choice team. I’m all in favour of rotation, but I’m starting to worry this isn’t rotation but long-term injury. This isn’t London. We should have played enough power to win. We’re looking like a loss at half-time, and that gives Wire a big psychological advantage going in to Wembley and the play-offs.
    First thing I’d say is that it’s only half time and we’re winning.

Second is that, while I’m not a fan of rotation, I don’t think our side is a sign of long-term injury any more than Warrington’s is.

It just looks to me like two sides who don’t want to show their hand.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    It would help if we stopped gifting Warrington possession.
    Picking up tackles would help even more.

Kyle ‘Nijinsky’ Amor