Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad for Wire match

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I disagree about Lees. He might not have been perfect tonight but he's in the face of the opposition all the time and winds them up. Him and Bentley did a great job of taking Hill and the Neanderthal Westwood off their game

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Can’t fault Lees for effort and intensity. Goes in 100% every tackle and every carry. He just struggles to make an impact carrying the ball as he’s still quite lightweight. Still only 21 so if he fills out a bit and continues to play with that commitment I’m sure he’ll get better. Bear in mind most props don’t start to hit anywhere near their best until their mid 20’s, at his age Walmsley was playing university rugby, Amor had barely played a game for Whitehaven yet and Chris Hill was being relegated from the championship with Leigh. Lees has nearly 50 first team games under his belt already.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Great win and great team selection from Holbrook. Plenty players given a chance to earn a place in the Wembley 17. Ive always been critical of Amor (ability more than effort) but i hope he gets a bench spot at Wembley. I think he’s knuckled down and earned it in recent months.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Can’t fault Lees for effort and intensity. Goes in 100% every tackle and every carry. He just struggles to make an impact carrying the ball as he’s still quite lightweight. Still only 21 so if he fills out a bit and continues to play with that commitment I’m sure he’ll get better. Bear in mind most props don’t start to hit anywhere near their best until their mid 20’s, at his age Walmsley was playing university rugby, Amor had barely played a game for Whitehaven yet and Chris Hill was being relegated from the championship with Leigh. Lees has nearly 50 first team games under his belt already.
    Lees will be up there with the best props in the league in 2/3 years

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Lees will be up there with the best props in the league in 2/3 years
    I think at the moment his ‘loose cannon’ approach can be accommodated as we have an outstanding pack around him who can cover for any rashness, shooting out the line etc. If he can put on a few kilos and maintain that dynamism I agree with your statement

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    We must be odds on favourites for the cc now
    We were always odds on favourites.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Naiqama’s defense is more than a concern, it’s absolutely shocking. It was that bad he looked like he was ••••••ed.
    He has never been known for having a good defence. Even in the NRL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Thought Richardson and Lees were quite poor
    Well ain't that a surprise

I thought he played well. You're just obsessed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    He has never been known for having a good defence. Even in the NRL.
    I voiced my concerns over his defence when we signed him. To be fair he gets away with it a lot of the time because if he misreads the play he has the speed to turn and chase back making the tackle. If teams throw plenty shapes at him close to the try line we could be in trouble though.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

From Steve Price in the post-match interview:

"We lost our whole bench with 17 minutes to go."

What happened? Did the Wire fans nick it to use as a weapon or something?

He also really said:

"they showed a lot of fighting spirit. We went down swinging"

Yeah, Benny Westwood quite literally.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Naiqama’s defense is more than a concern, it’s absolutely shocking. It was that bad he looked like he was ••••••ed.
    It was terrible first half against Wakefield, spent the half flapping his his arms at tackles.

Got A Season Ticket

I also think Bentley is beginning to develop into a really good player. For a small bloke he puts it about and isn't afraid to go where it hurts - just a question of where his best position is in first team rugby. He was very good again last night.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    I also think Bentley is beginning to develop into a really good player. For a small bloke he puts it about and isn't afraid to go where it hurts - just a question of where his best position is in first team rugby. He was very good again last night.
    I thought that was one of Bentleys best games for us. Played solid through the middle and put in some good shots in defence. Welsby looks class, that cut out pass he’s got is a real asset to his game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Well ain't that a surprise

I thought he played well. You're just obsessed.
    Good for you, I’m sure you did. Typical Richardson performance, goal kicking great but the same can’t be said of anything else he did.

Learning All The Songs

Next season I’d like to see him rotate with Taia to see if he can be Taia’s replacement. He’s definitely not a hooker but he’s done well there recently.

Banned

Good for you, I’m sure you did. Typical Richardson performance, goal kicking great but the same can’t be said of anything else he did.
    Richardson's passing and close-range kicking was at times top-notch. Not without a couple of blips, but overall very good. Didn't his kicks generate repeat drop-outs? It was his quick and accurate passing to Welsby that bought the initial space.

Starting A Programme Collection

He reminds me very much like Bateman

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

In regards to Lee's, he was taking a few from Hill and Westwood but he never backed down. Straight up and back in their faces. Bentley and Ashworth too. Good to see the young bucks throwing reputations out the window.
    Last edited by St Willy; 9th August 2019 at 14:11.

For all of the concern about Naiqama’s and Lees’ tendencies to shoot out of the line and not complete the initial tackles, we have conceded very few tries as a consequence. Peyroux is also similar in this approach but overall we seem to have organised our scramble defence to overcome the dangers while the pressure that such rushes place on the opposition also seems to reap benefits. It seems to me, therefore, that Holbrook has managed to create a system that gives a positive from such perceived weaknesses.

Turning to Bentley, he has made significant strides this year including a much improved pass from dummy half and I can see him playing at Wembley without any detriment to the team if there is any problem with Paulo’s fitness.

General thoughts,
    I think the Sky commentary was dire. They just couldn't shut up about Warrington no matter how much we dominated them. The at full time it was like changing channel and suddenly they had to admit Welsby was the best player on the field after saying very little about him.

Wire always seem to have an excuse/reason for losing to us. How about "our captain is a thug and took out one of our best players".

Bentley looks like a first choice 17 player at the moment.

Warrington will continue to be thugs, on the field and in the stands, until something is done by the RFL. I agree the trouble makers are a minority and give the majority a bad name. In that case dealing with them should be simple.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Very easy win without playing particularly well. Out of the young and fringe players Welsby and Bentley were the pick. Thought Richardson and Lees were quite poor and Naiqama’s defence is a concern, he has a tendency to charge out the line and it’s something that could be punished in the bigger games.
    I thought it was one of Lees better games. He is a bit light but he is probably the most athletic prop in the competition, and never shirks anything.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by RonSaintWiggin View Post
    He reminds me very much like Bateman
    Well he played for Bradford.
    When Bateman was the same age as Bentley is now, he had captained England Academy in Australia and played for England at full International level.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    When Bateman was the same age as Bentley is now, he had captained England Academy in Australia and played for England at full International level.
    And now he's progressed his career further.

Learning All The Songs

Badge is in the post.

Banned

Then just a few short years after moving to piescumland, he ran off to the other side of the world to escape from you 6-fingered mutants.

"Tw***ed on the telly, you got tw***ed on the telly...". Absolute class. Fantastic atmosphere last night as it always is there.
    I bought a pack of luminous condoms last week. The wife's face lit up.