Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Austin

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    This. He can't play in the CC final.

If it's a wet September/October, he'll do a job for them. His best rugby has been in the wet weather
    To be honest, I think he’ll make them a better team. Individually he’s not the best but they’ve now got someone to sit behind the ruck and take them round the field which frees Clark, Austin, Ratchford, Currie etc up to just play what they see.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    To be honest, I think he’ll make them a better team. Individually he’s not the best but they’ve now got someone to sit behind the ruck and take them round the field which frees Clark, Austin, Ratchford, Currie etc up to just play what they see.
    But he’s now so pedestrian and predictable that I just can’t see it other than a desperate backward step.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    But he’s now so pedestrian and predictable that I just can’t see it other than a desperate backward step.
    To be honest a couple of the Warrington fans I know are just happy that they’ve got an alternative to Patten.
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Matty isn't daft is he?
    A few of the more mature posters (readers) on here may remember Brian Hogan, his ex wife was a friend of my wifes so we met a few times. He wasn't daft either, he told me that he would stay at a club for a couple of years then "engineer" a move and get a cut of the transfer fee for agreeing to move to and from the clubs.
    I knew Brian very well. I didn't think he was that smart, somebody probably gave him the idea.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I knew Brian very well. I didn't think he was that smart, somebody probably gave him the idea.
    I knew Brian Hogan from Parr Central schooldays, he was one of the hard cases in that year. I didn't think he was too smart either but I should imagine he got sport orientated Savvy later in his career.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

The Matty Smith one, if true, is a desperate signing for them. He got shipped out of here for a kid and he can't get a game for the dragons. He was poor for us and that was a few years ago. I could be wrong and he could be just what they are missing but if you're making signings like that at this time of the season what message does that send to your current players? Not really something a coach does who's confident in what he's got. On the other hand we went with the inexperienced kid last year and it didn't do us much good.

It could be true because he’s definitely back in the north west

I saw him shopping in Tesco with his missus this afternoon. I didn’t enquire about the rumour however as he was on the phone

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    It could be true because he’s definitely back in the north west

I saw him shopping in Tesco with his missus this afternoon. I didn’t enquire about the rumour however as he was on the phone
    Rumour? There's pictures of him training with Warrington? It's on the BBC website? That's as confirmed as it needs to be.

Upside
    Non Members

I think he will help wire, decent player Matty and good to see him playing

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Warrington, Wigan, saints, list goes on real loyalty ultimately he will always be seen as a failure and will end up probably on a a average 30k per annum doing a boring job. Well done

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Probably wiping Wilkins backside for £3 per hour

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Warrington, Wigan, saints, list goes on real loyalty ultimately he will always be seen as a failure and will end up probably on a a average 30k per annum doing a boring job. Well done
    Quite a good salary. I know decent people who would be made up with that.

As I know the lad, I think your post is way out of line. Matty is a good lad, from a decent family with a professional attitude & a good work ethic.

Not like he's won nothing. Along with a Lance Todd trophy & a match winning performance in dreadful conditions at the DW against New Zealand.

A failure indeed. You're another clown who needs kicking off here, parody account or not

I think you're right

300 + top level games, couple of Grand Final wins, Challenge Cup winner, Lance Todd trophy winner, England international. Some failure.
    V

I still think there was an argument for keeping Smith match fit and giving him game time towards the end of last season as Richardsons performances started to drop and we needed some experience.

I bear him no ill feelings, seems a good lad and I wish him the best but i'd like to know how Warrington manage their cap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

As I know the lad, I think your post is way out of line. Matty is a good lad, from a decent family with a professional attitude & a good work ethic.

Not like he's won nothing. Along with a Lance Todd trophy & a match winning performance in dreadful conditions at the DW against New Zealand.

A failure indeed. You're another clown who needs kicking off here, parody account or not
    Completely agree, he got us to a Grand Final on his own one night in a semi final against Warrington by grubber kicks on a really wet surface keeping them on the back foot all night., funny how so called fans forget times like that. He has always been an uncomplaining professional who can always say to critics "show us YOUR medals" He's got plenty . Maybe never a star, but a damn good professional who always had the respect of his peers

Probably wiping Wilkins backside for £3 per hour
    They can compare trophies from professional sport.

Pray tell, how many winners medals have you got?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

You're absolutely right, they're all massive Saints fans, I once saw Smith in the Saints end at Huddersfield when he was playing for Wigan, obviously keeping a low profile..

He's never come out and said anything bad about the club, never come across as cocky or arrogant. If people have issues with him making money out of Saints, well who's fault is that for drawing up the contracts..

As you say always been professional, and always put the effort in.. when I hear he's signed for Wire, I don't feel any anger towards the decision

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I was critical of him as a player from when he re-joined us a bit further up and questioned the signing with the wolves but what col put is a load of rubbish

Matty is a mate of a few mates of mine. Don't know him personally but met him a few times and he's a good bloke. Nobody can argue with his achievements either. For me though he was a good fit for Wigan at the time and doesn't really suit us or Warrington. I'm not taking back what I put earlier but it's just my thoughts on him as a player now. Nothing to do with him as a person or his past achievements.

Banned

300 + top level games, couple of Grand Final wins, Challenge Cup winner, Lance Todd trophy winner, England international. Some failure.
    Spot on, never really my cup of tea and probably past it now but certainly not a failure and also a very nice bloke.

Col81 is obviously a captain of industry, running his empire from a 2 bedroom semi in Blackbrook.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    You're absolutely right, they're all massive Saints fans, I once saw Smith in the Saints end at Huddersfield when he was playing for Wigan, obviously keeping a low profile..

He's never come out and said anything bad about the club, never come across as cocky or arrogant. If people have issues with him making money out of Saints, well who's fault is that for drawing up the contracts..

As you say always been professional, and always put the effort in.. when I hear he's signed for Wire, I don't feel any anger towards the decision
    I agree. I never even felt less of him when he signed for Wigan. Some folk on here tore him to pieces. It was unbelievable. We got rid of him (TWICE!) prior to him signing for Wigan.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Keyboard Warrior alert !!!

Please put the keyboard down, take your headset off, open your action man curtains and tidy your room before your mum gets home or else it’s no internet for a week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Yes, lots of keyboard rubbish here, when he lost his place last season at Saints he did a fantastic job of coaching our younger players. He did lack that creativity for what Saints wanted but you can't fault his temperament.

When he retires he will probably end being a car salesman selling new BMW's with a private reg plate for those lost souls types.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

As he played for TWO great sporting clubs Everton and Saints I'd expect nothing but him being a nice bloke, had he played for the RS before taking up RL he probably would have had his head inserted up his own rectum like the majority of that clubs employees and its supporters.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Banned

Anyway, Blake Austin... any updates?