Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 meaningless games?

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Wish I could agree Sean, but after the Cats Wire game, the evidence to the contrary is stark. Plenty of attempts to injure opponents unlawfully by their fellow professionals. A sickening debacle.
    I think there's a difference between, on the one hand, a player doing something rash with the intent of causing harm in the midst of an over-heated game, and, on the other, players setting out into a game with the strategic aim of causing injury to opposition players. I think you're right that the first of these things does happen, but I tend to agree with Sean Day that the second happens very rarely these days, if at all.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Wire away - Don't play any of the starting 17
    Leeds away - Don't play any of the starting 17
    Same weekend - Play an in house game against Leigh to prepare for Wembley
    Wembley - Strongest side
    Cas home - Don't play anyone that played at Wembley
    Huddersfield home - Don't play anyone with a knock
    Hull away - Don't play anyone with a knock
    Yeah good one

Learning All The Songs

In my eyes there is no such thing as a meaningless game, what we have now is an excellent opportunity to get players who are in the 17 but not playing a lot of minutes, Bentley, Ashworth, Amor etc, minutes on the field, maybe starting them and bringing the likes of Walmsley and Thompson off the bench in an impact role, where you can keep them fresh but they are still getting a hitout. I would see what happens in terms of any banned warrington players before picking the 17, if there are weak bans applied they may think they can get away with a bit more thugby against us.

We need to start playing our strongest team otherwise we are in serious danger of being under cooked. We’ve hardly been tested in the last two games and now people want us to field A teams for the next two weeks? That would be a month that our strongest team won’t have played together.

Whenever we’ve come off a weeks break this season we’ve struggled the next game in terms of cohesion in attack. Lets keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Full strength for the rest of the season barring niggling injuries.

Keep the foot on their throats kind of attitude is needed from now till the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think particularly with Wire you want them to start feeling like they just can’t beat us, that’s if they don’t already. There won’t be any change given on Thursday, cup final round the corner or not

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

2006 season, similar situation to this year, we played Huddersfield then a few weeks later again in the final.

Huddersfield - Long rested or injured otherwise a full squad
    Castleford - full strength
    Catalans - everyone rested except Gilmour and Graham
    Huddersfield CCF- full strength
    Wakefield - Cayless rested or injured
    Leeds - Talau rested or injured
    Warrington - Sculthorpe injured
    Hull playoff qualifier - full strength
    Hull GF - full strength

So if we were to follow that blue print then it’s rest everyone for Leeds and then foot on the pedal towards the end of the season. I think also people are forgetting it is their jobs to play rugby league. I wish my boss would give me time off for having a little niggle here or there.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    We need to start playing our strongest team otherwise we are in serious danger of being under cooked. We’ve hardly been tested in the last two games and now people want us to field A teams for the next two weeks? That would be a month that our strongest team won’t have played together.

Whenever we’ve come off a weeks break this season we’ve struggled the next game in terms of cohesion in attack. Lets keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was the word "under cooked" that came to my mind this morning, barring injuries keep everyone match fit and as you say improve our cohesion in attack.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    That was the word "under cooked" that came to my mind this morning, barring injuries keep everyone match fit and as you say improve our cohesion in attack.

Subtle rotation, as I've said before keep players fresh and rest the odd one, not whole sale change

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Keep our best team out there, rest when required and keep the form. If you look at our remaining fixtures;
    1. Wire away - don’t mind the team that played against wakey
    2. Leeds away - roll back the big guns in preparation for the final
    3. Wembley - obviously strongest side
    4. Cas home - all depends on Wembley fatigue/injuries but would still pick strongest side again
    5. Huddersfield home - strongest side
    6 hull away - strongest side
    7. Week off
    Agree completely. I dont trust the scumbags at Wire not to try to take out one or two of our key players, so let Coote & Lomax have another week off. Use the Leeds game as the preparation with full team and then, after Wembley, keep the best team together to stay gelled and build towards the GF.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Agree completely. I dont trust the scumbags at Wire not to try to take out one or two of our key players, so let Coote & Lomax have another week off. Use the Leeds game as the preparation with full team and then, after Wembley, keep the best team together to stay gelled and build towards the GF.
    Especially, now that they pretty much have got away with murder after Saturdays antics. I think it will empower Hill et al to really thug it up.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Under cooked is two words.

I agree, play all players who are fit.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Especially, now that they pretty much have got away with murder after Saturdays antics. I think it will empower Hill et al to really thug it up.
    "Budgie" Hill should be made to wear a muzzle for the rest of the season with the amount of intimidating chirping at the officials. As for thugging it up Grace will be relieved that Lineham won't be around to give him afters when he crosses the whitewash.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Personally I'd go full team against Wire on Thursday, if we win wire will be one league win in six with Wigan to play ahead of Wembley.. they could potentially be down to equal 3rd should Wigan beat them, with one win in seven (plus the semi victory), hardly form you want ahead of a final. It also means they can't rest any next week.

As for us, full strength at Leeds besides Lomax, we've got 9 days recovery ahead of Wembley.

Rest a few after Wembley then full strength for the last two. Don't forget we'll finish the season on the 13th September, first playoff game for us is likely to be the 27th, then win that GF is the 12th.. I don't think having players rested for the last league games is required or beneficial